View Full Version : Rumor: RIM's BlackPad Will Have... Android?

Dopedangel
08-11-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/BlackBerry-BlackPad-Android-Tablet,11033.html

"
Apple Daily claims that the BlackPad will be Android-driven.
Will the BlackBerry tablet use the Android OS? That's what Chinese-based Apple Daily reports along with claims that Taiwan-based notebook maker Quanta Computer has signed on to manufacture the device. Even more, RIM's BlackPad is slated for a November 2010 release, and will retail for $499 USD, "confirming" previous reports."

HarryT
08-12-2010, 02:35 AM
I'd be very surprised if that were true. It's much more likely it'll run Blackberry's own o/s.

Dave_S
08-12-2010, 03:31 AM
I'd be very surprised if that were true. It's much more likely it'll run Blackberry's own o/s.

There are many more who would agree with you, especially considering all of the RIM security features.

http://www.tcgeeks.com/rim-blackpad-compared-to-the-apple-ipad/

Dopedangel
08-12-2010, 12:15 PM
From what I have read and gathered rim is actually going to sell and position the tablet as an accessory for a blackberry device not as an independent device itself.
So the rumor could be true.

kjk
08-12-2010, 02:11 PM
From what I have read and gathered rim is actually going to sell and position the tablet as an accessory for a blackberry device not as an independent device itself.

Like the Palm Foleo?

jswinden
08-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Like the Palm Foleo?

Or as some of us called it, the Palm Folly. That little worthless device sent Palm to its grave.

Android + non-phone tablet = POS. Simple formula, profound truth. Of all the Android tablets I've used and/or read about, none or worth a wooden nickle. And recently Oracle slapped a lawsuit on Google claiming Google infringed on Java patents when designing Android.

BB will not use a non-RIM OS. They just beefed up BB OS to 6.0 for the new fullscreen BB, I'm sure they will use something like that with a tablet. But even though I'm a BB phone fan, I'm not interested in a BB OS tablet. I want to see a well designed Windows 7 tablet with a 7" screen. Windows 7 works, whereas Android does not, nor does a browser based OS. I want to get work done, read, etc. I don't care about playing videos and games or about social networking.

Crowl
08-20-2010, 09:26 PM

There seem to be a lot of varying rumours, what that one probably means is that they will only be doing a WiFi-only version and would then support bluetooth tethering to any mobile, while not being quite as convenient for some people it would be the ideal for most who already pay for one data plan not to mention the obvious point that it would speed time to market since the device would not require them to go through all the carrier testing and approvals process that they need to do with any new phone.

As far as using another os, they bought a company called QNX not so long ago and if they go with a different os then it seems likely it will come from them, perhaps keeping the look of os6 on top of a new os base or something.