View Full Version : JAP: the XMas gift for mobileread community

SeNS
12-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Hello everybody! I'm glad to introduce to mobileread community my program called JAP: Just Another Printer as my XMas gift :-)

JAP is an image-book creation program to produce readable files for the most popular eBook reading devices (Reb-1200/GEB-2150, Sony Reader/Librie, Hanlin V8, PPC) from the PDF and DjVu files, or from set of pictures/scans.

Program was written for the Russian brotherhood site community ( http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/ ) and now reached version 1.9.9 (next one will be RC 2.0)

http://files.ebook.googlepages.com/jap.png

"JAP" full installer can be freely downloaded from http://files.ebook.googlepages.com/Setup.exe

Internet installer http://files.ebook.googlepages.com/SetupI.exe

Unfortunatelly there are no English site, support forum or help-file but I'm working on it. Also I'm looking for volunteers to write a help file for JAP.

Please post your comments, suggestions, bug reports and wishes here (may be site-admins will make this topic permanent).

And Marry XMas and Happy Holidays!

Mitchll
12-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Just tried it out. It is the best solution I have found to use pdf on the SOny Reader.
I look forward to the next version. :D
THANKS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

alex_d
12-27-2006, 03:58 PM
People who've found this useful should also check out PDFrasterFarian (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=52516). It does a similar conversion of PDF->image-LRF. It sadly lacks the beautiful interface, but, for now at least, gives much better results. It increases boldness and contrast of text, has better support for portrait/landscape, and gives true autocropping.

I hope that maybe you and I could work together to create a solution that has both a great GUI and great results.

Take a look at this comparison
image 1 is the original pdf
image 2 is JAP
image 3 is PDFrasterFarian v2

SeNS
12-27-2006, 07:18 PM
I think your comparison is not correct. JAP is useful for a splitting one letter-size PDF page on two (or more) small (it's only way for comfortable reading imho). Also it gives a full control on the sub-pages location (if you need to pick out diagram or picture). Many people used JAP for a months beginning from v. 0.9 :-) (it was announced in June 2006 at www.the-ebook.org)

Unfortunatelly I can't get PDFrasterFarian working (RAR gives CRC error on the 3-rd archive) but if you upload your test pdf I can make some pictures from JAP output.

Here are my tests:
source file: http://files.ebook.googlepages.com/cinc05-respiration.pdf
lrf: http://files.ebook.googlepages.com/cinc05-respiration.lrf
and picture (Jinke V8 & Reader, Jinke looks better because of using internal bitmap format):

Could you please test PDFrasterFarian with my file and post pictures? Thanks.

P.S. Thanks for testing, I updated a little bit a lrf plugin. New version available at usual location now.

SeNS
12-27-2006, 08:44 PM
P.P.S. Probably it's possible to get a better results on Reader screen but I need to find out which image format and sizes (now 584x754) are better to avoid picture distortion.

alex_d
12-27-2006, 11:04 PM
I've converted your pdf into portrait, landscape, and quarters modes using settings which I felt were optimal. Let me know how you like it. Note, landscape mode uses the Reader's actual landscape mode (hold the size button). I also posted my test pdf. It'd be great if you could post pics. It's a big hassle for me. (p.s., use the attach files feature of the forum. this creates nice thumbnails.)

Hm, about the rar crc. I tried downloading the rars and it works (and no complaints on the other thread). You should try redownloading. Also, the correct resolution for the Reader is 565x754. However, the lrs xsize and ysize also have to be set right, to 637x849. Took me quite while to figure those out, hope that saves you the effort.

SeNS
12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Let me know how you like it.

Text enhancement looks impressive but it takes too much conversion time (read below)

Hm, about the rar crc. I tried downloading the rars and it works (and no complaints on the other thread).

I redownloaded all archives and now it works.

Also, the correct resolution for the Reader is 565x754. However, the lrs xsize and ysize also have to be set right, to 637x849. Took me quite while to figure those out, hope that saves you the effort.

Thanks, I rebuild LRF module. New module available at usual location (probably I'll make a separate setup files or internet setup, no reason to download whole installation every time)

Alex, I've tryed "PDFrasterFarian" on Russian S&F magazine "ESLI" (you could download 2006 year issues from http://files.ebook.googlepages.com/ but conversion takes too much time (imho, absolutly non-reasonable). Simply I can't wait more than one hour (just for 306 pages!). Could you please give some tips how to improve "PDFrasterFarian" speed? You can try on the "ESLI" January issue as I did.

Sorry for picture quality but I should use a flash.

alex_d
12-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Yea, conversion does take a lot of time and that is the biggest problem. The issue is that i'm not writing the tools myself and can't really do any optimization. Ghostscript is surprisingly slow at rasterizing and autocropping (Adobe Reader can display a page in under a second... ghostscript will in some cases rasterize it for MINUTES), and then the image tools are also fairly slow at doing their steps. Maybe I should try to recompile ghostscript and imagemagick to use SSE (i might be using 386 binaries.. ill check).

The two big settings in pdfrasterfarian which affect speed are:
autocropping (adds like 10 mins per 100 pages)
boldness value (the lower the faster. much faster)

In the end, though, you'll be spending a week reading that 300 page document, so an hour to convert doesn't seem too much of a deal-breaker. But I'll see what I can do compiler-side.

SeNS
12-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Actually I reading eBooks on tablet pc (I badly need a backlight) and keep my eInk's just as gadgets so I don't have to convert anything :) But now the JAP-generated files (with page size corrections what u gave) looks on Reader the same as on Jinke. As for me it's enough for reading however I'll look forward to improve quality on the thin fonts (I have some ideas; probably u can suggest something).

JAP uses XPdf as a PDF renderer; it's not so good than Adobe native products but much faster than ghostscript. You can make XPdf as a native win32 library or command line application. Also take a look to the http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=65125#65125. Where are two russian guys who made lrs2lrf converters, both works many times faster than SONY's dll :-) Also both programs are freeware.

Gameboy70
01-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Is there a mirror for the download? The JAP installer keep choking, with the following "NSIS Error" message:The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.

It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED)

SeNS
01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Just re-tested installer, works fine for me. Please try to re-download and re-run. Also you can try a new small internet version of installer, located at http://files.ebook.googlepages.com/Setup-new.exe

mosh
01-06-2007, 04:02 AM
Sens,

Thank-you for the great tool.

A bug that I discovered is that when I try to export to LRF a second time the export module does not list pages and if I try to proceed it produces a floating point error (probably div/0 ?).

Mosh

hn_88
01-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks for a polished tool, SeNS.

Can you give a short description on how to customize the results? With the default settings, I get text which goes sideways (like landscape upside down) and also the font size is too small for my liking.

SeNS
01-08-2007, 10:31 AM
A bug that I discovered is that when I try to export to LRF a second time the export module does not list pages and if I try to proceed it produces a floating point error (probably div/0 ?).
Mosh

Can't reproduce that. Could you please send the source book (pdf, djvu), page data and step-by-step descriptions of your actions? Could you reproduce that more than one time? Thanks.

SeNS
01-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Can you give a short description on how to customize the results? With the default settings, I get text which goes sideways (like landscape upside down) and also the font size is too small for my liking.

JAP is really simple to use but required a few easy seteps to prepare document. You need to setup virtual pages (frames) number first, properly locate 'em for odd and eve pages second and tweak brightness & contrast. For better results frames proportions should be 3/4 or 4/3. You can use frame movement and resizing with pressed Shift or Alt keys for that. Some pages could be processed separately - you should check "Custom" flag for these pages. Try to explore JAP menu and play with mouse buttons; also popup hints (move mouse cursor to the control and freeze for a few seconds) can be helpful. I know there is a big lack of help file but probably one from mobilereaders can help me with it.

mosh
01-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Can't reproduce that. Could you please send the source book (pdf, djvu), page data and step-by-step descriptions of your actions? Could you reproduce that more than one time? Thanks.

Please find a sample pdf file attached.

Step 1. Open JAP
Step 2. File->Export->Export Unencrypted BBeB (lrf)...
Step 2. Enter a filename and click save
Step 3. File->Export->Export Unencrypted BBeB (lrf)...
Step 4. Enter a filename and click save <- "Invalid floating point operation"

mosh
01-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks for a polished tool, SeNS.

hn_88 try rotating the page -90 or +90 deg. I find that doing so helps.

SeNS
01-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Mosh, thanks! Fixed. You can use setup or direct download link: http://sens.fw.nu/jap/expLRF.dll (replace the old plugin in JAP folder).

alex_d
01-09-2007, 08:38 PM
hey... i've got some feature suggestions (more like polishings)

) allow rotating the selection frames. (instead of having to rotate the page itself)
) allow fixed AR (after all.. the screen is fixed)
) Instead of doing "Frames: 1/2/3", just have an 'add frame' control. So if i want to zoom a pic, it's more intuitive. Also, have 'delete frame' button, so I can delete frame 2 without have to delete 3 & 4.
) Do a separate dialog, like in Acrobat, for when you want to apply the same frames to all even pages or simply all pages. It's kind of weird that you can't crop all pages the same way, also it was surprising/unintuitive at first that all changes would be automatically propagated.
) per-page autocropping
) autocropping that is bounded by what's been cropped manually. this one could be very useful. (in addition to normal autocropping. also, the manual box shouldn't just be deleted)
) more control over resolution. e.g. a high-res pdf output to feed into pdfrasterfarian, or to allow Iliad/etc owners set the right res for their screens.

have you considered open sourcing jap? (and by that i mean letting me play with it :-[)

SeNS
01-10-2007, 03:00 AM
hey... i've got some feature suggestions (more like polishings)
Alex, thanks a lot. I always appreciate suggestions and try to follow users wishes ;-)

allow rotating the selection frames. (instead of having to rotate the page itself)
The main reason of allow page rotation is a quality of most of scanned DjVu's (I have a lot of semi-pro Russians DjVu OCR-people friends) I don't think a single frame rotation will be useful for em.

allow fixed AR (after all.. the screen is fixed)
Try to move frames with Ctrl/Alt keys pressed. I know the lack of documentation is the worst point of JAP:-(

Instead of doing "Frames: 1/2/3", just have an 'add frame' control. So if i want to zoom a pic, it's more intuitive. Also, have 'delete frame' button, so I can delete frame 2 without have to delete 3 & 4.
) Do a separate dialog, like in Acrobat, for when you want to apply the same frames to all even pages or simply all pages. It's kind of weird that you can't crop all pages the same way, also it was surprising/unintuitive at first that all changes would be automatically propagated.

Unfortunatelly the frames number settings came not from a plain theory but from practice (Andy, avv from e-book.org is a co-author and main tester & user of JAP. I'm not using JAP at all). Also the some algorithms in JAP should use a concrete numbers of frames instead of NN (my bad).

per-page autocropping
It's not so easy. Some documents have a "artistic" template (like a header shifted a few inches left/right). I decide to give a choice to user. But, anyway, you have a button to do autocropping (only for odd & even pages).

more control over resolution. e.g. a high-res pdf output to feed into pdfrasterfarian, or to allow Iliad/etc owners set the right res for their screens.
I forgot to announce some hidden features of JAP (already printed at the-ebook.org). I'll add one (only one!) more dialog to configure JAP in the future but I'll prefer simplified interfaces.

have you considered open sourcing jap? (and by that i mean letting me play with it :-[)
I have no problem to post sources but for some reasons (I can tell you why - the "heart" of JAP is the open source Graphics32 lib) JAP was written on Borland Delphi. If you interested of source code just le me know at sens at verizon dot net. Also JAP providing a very simple plugins API (C++ sources available too)

alex_d
01-10-2007, 07:20 PM
ok, you seem pretty set on leaving the UI as it is, and probably we do have different aims that we're going for. (Certainly I do very little with scanned docs and instead read "proper" pdfs I get from filesharing)

I'll send you that email about the sources, thanks.

Vienna01
01-14-2007, 10:41 PM
The first time tried to use JAP today it crashed my system with the Blue Screen of Death (BSD) with error message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I had Symantec Internet Security 2007 running plus Firefox and a couple of other small apps. Win XP SP2 with 1GB of memory. Subsequent use has been OK so far.

I obviously have not figured out how to get Exported BBeB output correct. JAP seems to generate output doc with alternative Landscape and Portait pages for me viewed using PC Connect software.
I set FRAMES ="1", and clicked auto adjust and then manually adjusted frame to full page of the pdf that was displayed. I have kept the input and output files if someone wishes to see them. Source doc was "The Zepplins Passengers" A Gutenberg PDF 379 page file. Conversion was fast.

After I learn to use JAP correctly, I think it will be very helpful.

Please tell me how to use JAP so that all portrait PDF input files will export as portrait and all landscape PDFs will export as landscape

I am NOT a Win XP guru only a long term user. I used to program about a thousand years ago; my first language was Fortran II :dunce2:

SeNS
01-15-2007, 08:01 AM
The first time tried to use JAP today it crashed my system with the Blue Screen of Death (BSD) with error message "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Looks like a symptoms of overheat (video card or CPU). JAP uses a lot of CPU-time and makes your PC work hard.

After I learn to use JAP correctly, I think it will be very helpful.

Each frame represents a future whole page on the reading device. Moving/sizing frames with Ctrl/Alt keys gives you fixed AR 4/3 or 3/4 (ideal for most devices). Depending of frame dimensions the output plugins rotate the resulting page. Don't be shy to play with JAP options/menus/mouse clicks; also some popup tips can be helpful.

jibanes
03-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Could somebody do me a HUGE favor and convert this for the Reader:

http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/usr/nemo/9.intro.pdf

I've tried several tools so far and never got any good results

_darius
03-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I converted it to:
*.doc and *.html

http://dario.lauper.cc/MobiRead/

i think you can get the best result with the html- file and BookDesigner! - You sure have to do some work manually, but i think its a good start!

Good Luck
_darius

jibanes
03-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks but I don't think the reader can read .doc or .html no???

spuz
12-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi, is JAP still available for download? It looks like a very useful tool as I have trouble reading some pdfs on my Sony reader. The links in the first post say that the bandwidth limit for the hosting account has been exceeded. :(