View Full Version : Sony Reader vs. ILiad questions

wadood
12-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I have purchased Sony Reader but have some issuses with it and thinking of moving up to Iliad.
Can someone give me comparison on the following:
1. Does Iliad have the same irritating Refresh that we have on Sony?
2. Does Iliad screen (eInk) is better or good or nearly as good as Sony?
3. Is it significantly slower or faster than Sony?
4. Are PDF documents as readable on Iliad as on PC?

Sony refresh and inability to read pdf not formatted for Sony may break the deal for me.

Thanks,

NatCh
12-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Welcome to MobileRead, wadood.

I'll take a swipe at your questions:

1. Yup. It's a characteristic of e-ink.
2. They look pretty much the same to my eyes, but it should be noted that the iLiad's screen is 16 shades of gray to the Reader's 4. The PPI is the same on both, though the iLiad has more pixels since it's bigger. Like I said they don't seem that different to me. :shrug:
3. If you install scottiy1024's PDF viewer, it's supposedly faster for PDFs. Otherwise, I think they're about the same these days, I know iLiad has been closing the gap on that.
4. Nope. The iLiad has an 8" screen so it's better than the Reader for A4 (letter) sized files, and the iLiad does have a rotate/zoom/pan solution now (I'll let someone who's used it comment on how well it works, I haven't seen it directly :shrug: ), but the general consensus seems to be that it's not the magic bullet for dealing with A4 files either. I expect we'll have to wait for an A4 sized device for that.

Hope that helps. :nice:

jęd
12-08-2006, 12:38 PM

Well... Since its 160 dpi the clarity is better... To get an idea of using pdfs then simply open an A4 document in an A5 sized window on screen (and turn down the colour so its black and white). If possible, use an LCD display from the late 90's to get an idea of the refresh rate and you should be set.

NatCh
12-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Well... Since its 160 dpi the clarity is better... How's that better than the Reader's 167 (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Portable_Reader#Ups:) dpi, jęd? :grin:

ElaHuguet
12-10-2006, 05:53 AM
I think he was answering the "as on PC" part, Natch. :D

(BTW, I haven't noticed an "irritating refresh" on the iLiad, nor have I seen it commented much, I've taken it to mean that it's less noticeable than the Sony's, but just my impression)

jęd
12-10-2006, 07:25 AM
I think he was answering the "as on PC" part, Natch. :D

Yes... Most monitors are at 72 dpi...

wadood
12-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks for your help. I think I will stick with Sony Reader because of teh above.
Also, is it true that ILiad does not have something like Sony Connect (which has a good collection of all the latest and greatest books). So what are my choices for new books for Iliad. Does it read Sony BeB format?

About the refresh I have trained my eyes not to look at it and also try to block the view by closing the cover while its refreshing - but that think hurts and I am sure it can cause problems for the eyes if you keep on at it. I think just by slowing down the refresh time, this could have been improved.

About the PDF, I am using Cute PDf to crop the pages and that makes A4 barely readable but not great.

NatCh
12-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Yes... Most monitors are at 72 dpi...Ah, yes, that makes sense then. Sorry 'bout that. :nice:

Thanks, ElaHuguet, jęd, for 'splaining it to me. :grin:

HarryT
12-15-2006, 06:01 AM
About the refresh I have trained my eyes not to look at it and also try to block the view by closing the cover while its refreshing - but that think hurts and I am sure it can cause problems for the eyes if you keep on at it. I think just by slowing down the refresh time, this could have been improved.

The eInk "invert the screen" refresh seems to be something that some readers (and reviewers) find intolerable, while others don't notice it. I must admit that I don't even realise it's happening - my brain just "tunes it out".

Phebe
12-19-2006, 03:57 PM

Hi ---- You may have gotten used to it by now.

For days at first I was shutting my eyes while the Sony Reader screen refreshed, or it hurt me. But I got used to it quickly and until I saw your question, I had forgotten that.

So I think it may be a self-solving problem.

mill0r
12-20-2006, 07:27 AM
I have purchased Sony Reader but have some issuses with it and thinking of moving up to Iliad.
Can someone give me comparison on the following:
1. Does Iliad have the same irritating Refresh that we have on Sony?
2. Does Iliad screen (eInk) is better or good or nearly as good as Sony?
3. Is it significantly slower or faster than Sony?

Sony refresh and inability to read pdf not formatted for Sony may break the deal for me.

Thanks,

Having both I might be able to answer some questions.

1. The refresh between the two devices is very difference imo, with the Sony my eyes are disoriented for a second due to the ghosting effect.
The iLiad loads and white/black screen between each refresh and this seems to be softer on my eyes and results in less ghosting effect.

2. The iLiad screen is bigger and imo has a better contrast at least with images. See my post regarding comics. So for me as comic reader the iLiad screen is better.

3. The Sony is faster overal, untill you start converting your own documents, especially PDF, the iLiad handles these very well.

4. Yes.

Roceh
01-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Found a good video here showing the page turning difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GBNR-MngQ

You can see the sony ereader goes inverse and then changes to the new page, while the iliad fades to white, then black then the page. I don't know if this is purely a software thing iRex has done, or whether it is a limitation of the 4 grey scale e-ink display used in the sony.

Heh just noticed it was posted on youtube by the above poster :happy2:

yokos
01-05-2007, 12:27 PM
You can see the sony ereader goes inverse and then changes to the new page, while the iliad fades to white, then black then the page. I don't know if this is purely a software thing iRex has done, or whether it is a limitation of the 4 grey scale e-ink display used in the sony.

This white/black/then page is a software thing. It's is used to remove ghosting.

iLiad has a scribble function, it's a main difference, I think.

fred1630
01-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Hello everybody,
For sure I will buy one or the other ( or another one if somebody convince me! :bulb2: )
I'am in Belgium, quite closer to the Netherland than Japan and I agree to pay for the right stuff whatever the price ( in the range of the 2 items)
I have spend a lot of time reading posts and articles about these two ebooks.
Still after that, I'am not convince about one or the other.
Let's take a look a what seems to be the bads points of the Iliad:
poor reading time
slow update pace
poor or no service even under warranty on screen failure
no response from the dealer to queries

Now about the Sony:
uncompatibility to pdf, needs of complicated changes.
no hand writting
ghost effect between pages
needs of physical link to load file

Some questions:
Are those remarks still current or am I outdated? :huh:
any idea of how many of each have been sold?
or what's the ratio between the 2 ( x sony / x iliad )
How often does the screen breaks under NORMAL pressure?
finally what is your feeling and advices :scholar:
Many thanks in advance,
sincerely, Fred1630

jęd
01-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Hello everybody,
Still after that, I'am not convince about one or the other.
Let's take a look a what seems to be the bads points of the Iliad:
poor reading time
slow update pace
poor or no service even under warranty on screen failure
no response from the dealer to queries

Currently the only concern is the battery life + boot/resume time. But with planning you can get around these... The Iliad has more features than the Sony Reader...

Oh, and avoid thinking of them as e-books. They aren't. They are *e-readers* for your content, where-ever it is from...

NatCh
01-07-2007, 02:22 AM
I don't have both, so I can't be sure, but I don't think the Sony's ghosting is significantly different from the iLiad's -- any dual-device owners care to offer an up to date comment? :nice:

fred1630
01-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Thank you Jaed,
I have found some more infos about both,
can you or anybody, correct the following statments:
with the Sony® Portable Reader SystemPRS-500 is it EASY (staightforward ) to copy and read PDF?
If one can read a new ebook, paid and copy on computer hard disk, thanks to adobe7.0, will it be possible to read it on sony reader or Irex Iliad?
The point is the more Iread the more confuse I become :angry:
But I will make it! :crowngrin
Thank you folks!

b_k
01-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm not Jaed, but I will try to answer your questions.
The only DRM-content the Reader will display is that bought through the Connect store. And copying files to the Reader is done either with Connect or by using a card-reader to put the files directly to SD or Memory Stick cards.

The iLiad so far can display password protected PDFs, although there seems to be a small bug with the password box, it will only show up when the screen gets refreshed, i.e. by activating the on-screen keyboard.
Files can be transferred to the internal memory over USB, but the cards are not accessible over USB atm.

Larry Z.
02-05-2007, 03:43 AM
Hi!

Long time no visit - but I have both the iLiad and the Reader, and until the iLiad folks sign a deal for DRM content, the Reader is a better purchase for ebooks - unless you're into various classics available for the iLiad at manybooks.com. If your aim is to read PDF's, I think both readers work allright - but the larger screen and greyscale might suit you better if want to pay the money for the iLiad.

I've found it equally easy to copy PDF's to both devices. There's a little fiddling to do if you want to match the screen dimensions perfectly - but if I can do it anyone can.

Larry Z.
:)

nekokami
02-05-2007, 08:38 AM
If your aim is to read and annotate PDFs, the iLiad is the only game in town. But if you just want to read ebooks and PDFs, the other options are a lot less expensive. Only the Sony unit has a legal source of DRM'd non-public-domain content (which is most copyrighted content, with the exception of visionary publishers like Baen, or, I've heard, some online romance novel shops). iRex is supposed to make an announcement, rumored to be about Mobipocket, "real soon now." But the iLiad is awfully expensive as an eBook reader unless you also need the other features, e.g. PDF annotation and the wireless connection.

katania
05-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Hi all. Have been reading now for some time and I am also confused as to buy the sony or the iLiad. Is one easyer to use than the other? I live in Europe and there are some restrictions on downloading books from the us.I am intrested in new books, not so much the books from the gutenberg project.
So ........what do I do??
The webpage Feedbooks.com seems to have a lot of "new" books also on a format that easily can be used on the iLiad. Has anyone had experience with this??
I asked via email from sony ,and since I live in europe I can not download books from their Connectstore,?????????? A bit of a dissapointment!
So anyone have a good Idea ???

wallcraft
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
The iLiad now has MobiPocket Reader, and so far as I know there are no geographic limitations on MobiPocket's e-books. However, MobiPocket is a French company and may charge VAT. I don't know if you can avoid this by buying the same (MobiPocket) book from another on-line site. I have used fictionwise, which sells encrypted Mobipocket books, but only for their MultiFormat books (which include an unencrypted MobiPocket version).