View Full Version : Android

Catire
06-30-2010, 11:21 AM
So i'm thinking of ditching my blackberry bold for a motorola droid/milestone. The only thing I like about the Blackberry is it's messenger and the fact that almost all the members of my family(and girlfriend) has one.

Anyone use an android based phone? how do you like it?

Has the whole Android "fragmentation" thing been a problem for you or do unofficial rom updates work fine?

Any other advice would be welcome.

kindlekitten
06-30-2010, 11:23 AM
did you really want the meetup tag on this?

LCF
06-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey, I'm going for android too. Maybe. It depends if someone lets out capacitive amoled with qwerty and 480x800 (or similar) resolution in device that fits in the pocket and weights less than a standard brick. 'm pretty sure the last sentence is not grammatically correct, but I can't put my finger on the mistake, so I hope it is at least understandable :p

You sure about the meet up tag?

pholy
06-30-2010, 11:57 AM
You sure about the meet up tag?

Well, it got our attention, didn't it? :D

Catire
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Haha sorry I made the post while talking with someone at work, i'll see if i can edit it when i get back to the office.

Or if a mod could please change the tag to seriously thoughtful or none

HarryT
06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Prefix changed, as requested.

YGG-
06-30-2010, 04:10 PM
I've had a G1 for a year now, love it!

FlorenceArt
06-30-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm a long-time Apple user, so if you're not, take everything I say with a grain of salt :p

I didn't want to buy an iPhone (too expensive, and besides, everyone has one :rolleyes:) so I bought a HTC Tattoo instead. I haven't tested all the functionalities because my 3G phone package is not active yet, but I have some things to say already.

I was rather miffed that the only way I could synchronize my contacts with my MacBook was through my Google account. It didn't help that the app I downloaded to do this on the MacBook side is rather clunky and the French translation is awful, but that's just detail.

I can't generalize since this is the only Android device I've ever used so far, but the HTC Tattoo is obviously much easier to synchronize if you use Windows and Microsoft apps, and of course Google services. Don't know about Linux, but on a Mac it's far from perfect.

In the end it worked out OK for me. I don't need to synchronize my contacts (managed on the MacBook) very often, so it's no big deal if it's clunky. I do have a Google account and was considering making gmail my main email server, and I'm testing that solution now but so far it's working. Also, one good thing is that I was able to synchronize Google Agenda with my professional Outlook calendar very easily. So now I have my professional calendar on the Tattoo, and my personal one (which is almost empty anyway) on my Ipod Touch. So I'm not unhappy with this setup so far.

As I said, I can't test all the functionalities yet, the one I'm most interested about is Google Maps, but I'll only be able to make full use of it after my phone package gets upgraded, next week.

YGG-
07-01-2010, 04:06 AM
I didn't test anything w/ my Mac (& it's not my main PC anyway), and I was already on GMail & GCal (personal & professional mails & calendars); it worked like a dream (pun intended) ! I just had to enter my mails & passwords & there they were on my screen, faithfully synchronizing whenever I decided to!
I appreciate also some of the apps they have (bought a few) : I use a lot PowerManager, BarcodeScanner, Scan2PDF, HandcentSMS, Aldiko (of course), ParisIti, Waze & GoogleMaps...
A globally good experience.
Some minor gripes : my machine is sometimes slow to react, some apps react in strange ways & I had to ditch a few, battery is wearing out at an alarming rate...

FlorenceArt
07-01-2010, 04:43 AM
I have to add that I haven't looked at the app market (is that its name?) yet. I tried to but made the mistake of attempting to read the terms of use, and I was horrified by the half-page description of "intellectual property" that I'm supposed to respect. I kind of got the impression that according to those, anyone could basically sue me for looking at their app funny :rolleyes: Of course, I'm sure the Apple App Store terms are just as whacky, and they make me accept those pratically every time I use the damn thing it seems, so I'm sure I will end up accepting the Google terms also :rolleyes:

FlorenceArt
07-01-2010, 04:46 AM
I didn't test anything w/ my Mac (& it's not my main PC anyway), and I was already on GMail & GCal (personal & professional mails & calendars); it worked like a dream (pun intended) ! I just had to enter my mails & passwords & there they were on my screen, faithfully synchronizing whenever I decided to!
I appreciate also some of the apps they have (bought a few) : I use a lot PowerManager, BarcodeScanner, Scan2PDF, HandcentSMS, Aldiko (of course), ParisIti, Waze & GoogleMaps...
A globally good experience.
Some minor gripes : my machine is sometimes slow to react, some apps react in strange ways & I had to ditch a few, battery is wearing out at an alarming rate...

Yes, mine works very well with Google services too.

And yes, the battery doesn't last long. Mine woke me up at 6AM this morning, complaining that it was drained out :rolleyes: I miss the auto-shutdown function my old Siemens phone had.

EowynCarter
07-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Don't know about Linux, but on a Mac it's far from perfect.
You mac user get screwed less than we linux do ;)

I think my tattoo's battery hold about 2 days.

Lemurion
07-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a Droid and I really like it.

It doesn't have the AMOLED screen, but the LCD is higher resolution, which is a worthwhile tradeoff in my opinion. (I wasn't wowed by the screen on a friend's Incredible and all the current AMOLED screens are pentile which provides a lower effective resolution for text - which is more important to me than images.)

I haven't bothered with any unofficial ROMs, but on the whole it's worked very well. I am seeing a few minor fragmentation issues now that 2.2 is out, but since my phone should be getting the update fairly soon it's not too major for me.

Catire
07-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Thank you all for the comments and opinions, I might be getting a Motorola Milestone (GSM version of the droid) soon :)

FlorenceArt
07-05-2010, 05:38 PM
What's this "fragmentation" thingy?

Dellaster
07-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Something possibly worth considering is the rumor that Google is bringing out Android 3.0 (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Android-OS-Gingerbread-Google-UI,news-7285.html#comments) in October. The minimum hardware requirements (1 GHz CPU, 512 MB of RAM, and a 3.5-inch display or higher) are currently met only by the Nexus One and the Verizon equivalent (the Incredible?).

Well, that's rumor. I don't know how much to credit it. I do like Android 2.2 on my Nexus One. Especially the new 3G tethering over USB (Windows, Linux) or WiFi. Suddenly I have a MiFi in my pocket. Took less than five minutes to figure it out and have my WiFi-only iPad surfing the 'net over 3G. With no extra service plan.

Gotta love it. :thumbsup:

- Ted

Catire
07-05-2010, 09:16 PM

It's what happens when a phone is no longer updated to the latest version of android and as applications are made for those versions you phone wont be able to run them.

Something possibly worth considering is the rumor that Google is bringing out Android 3.0 in October. The minimum hardware requirements (1 GHz CPU, 512 MB of RAM, and a 3.5-inch display or higher) are currently met only by the Nexus One and the Verizon equivalent (the Incredible?).

Yeah I read about that and i'm buying the milestone anyways since it's the best one I can afford.

Lo Zeno
07-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Apparently (I read this yestarday but can't find the link, I'll repost it as soon as I find it back) those are recommended hardware requirements, not minimum requirements. This was clarified in a note by Google inc. itself, so Android 3 (Gingerbread) won't be limited to Nexus 1, Desire, Evo, Galaxy S and Incredible only.

EDIT: ok, I read it on Eldar Murtazin's twitter: http://twitter.com/eldarmurtazin/status/17550974090

He is Mobile-Review's editor and the one who first gave the news about the hardware requirements of Android 3.0

EowynCarter
07-06-2010, 11:34 AM
There are four version of android currently used. 1.5; 1.6, 2.1; 2.2. A bit of a mess.

kjk
07-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Apparently (I read this yestarday but can't find the link, I'll repost it as soon as I find it back) those are recommended hardware requirements, not minimum requirements. This was clarified in a note by Google inc. itself, so Android 3 (Gingerbread) won't be limited to Nexus 1, Desire, Evo, Galaxy S and Incredible only.

EDIT: ok, I read it on Eldar Murtazin's twitter: http://twitter.com/eldarmurtazin/status/17550974090

He is Mobile-Review's editor and the one who first gave the news about the hardware requirements of Android 3.0

Dan Morrill, Android Open Source & Compatibility Tech Lead, twittered about it as well:http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/dan-morrill-clarifies-android-3.0-rumors/

kjk
07-06-2010, 12:22 PM
There are four version of android currently used. 1.5; 1.6, 2.1; 2.2. A bit of a mess.

The Android Developers site has been tracking the usage/adoption of those versions-really handy for developers trying to target apps:
http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

=X=
07-06-2010, 02:32 PM
It's a misnomer that has been attributed to Google Android OS. Something Google has been trying to address.

Fragmentation is a bad word in the Tech industry usually meaning that a technology does not play well together and has a different behavior from one platform to another. A classic example is UNIX. Even though there was a ‘UNIX’ standard, most did not play well together and one application in one environment did not play well in another.

In the Google world, I consider fragmentation to be more of what HTC and Motorola are doing with their “HTC sense” and Motorola “Blur” where the user experience is different based on the Phone

However what the world is calling “Fragmentation” on Android phone is experience is a versioning issue. This issue applies to ALL OS, this is an issue for , iPhone OS, Symbian, BlackBerry, Widows, OSX, etc… And in most of these cases newer apps don’t work with the older OS.
Personally I think why Android has gotten this bad stigma is that the Android OS grew too fast and there are big gaps between 1.5/1.6 and 2.0/2.2.

Has the whole Android "fragmentation" thing been a problem for you or do unofficial rom updates work fine?

I don’t see the issue. My wife has the HTC Droid Eris with version 1.6. To date she has not had any issues with any of the apps she has wanted. Mind you she’s not a power users, just uses the phone for basic stuff like, surfing, emailing, games, and a few apps
My sister and husband have the Moto Droid and she also loves her phone, no issue. I belive they have the OS 2.0 or 2.1. They are also casual uses but use Pandora, SMS, email, surfing and the Web. All three claim they don’t use the home computer much since the droid handles most of the internet needs.
I think the Andoid OS 2.2 is the sweet spot for the OS and the growth is going to slow down from here on out. Google has also made that claim publicly.
=X=