View Full Version : Kindle for Android is OUT!

=X=
06-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Amazon has just released the Kindle for Android (link) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=red_lnd_shrt_url?ie=UTF8&docId=165849822) app.

Apparently the app will come pre loaded on the Samsung Galaxy Android phone in addition to the Dell Streak.

For those with Android devices you can download it from the Android market.

=X=

AnemicOak
06-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Gonna check it out now, thanks for the heads up.

Dulin's Books
06-28-2010, 04:56 PM
is there some rule that says they arent allowed to have a download link on their own page if the app is in the market?

Kobo doesnt have their android app for download from the kobo site either. Id like to try these apps on the eken/haleron mids I have but cant because i cant use the market :(

i emailed kobo about it and they said basically "you're correct, its not."

AnemicOak
06-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Well it seems decent enough. Works well in both portrait and landscape, pages turn quickly and all. On first blush at least it doesn't appear you can load your own mobi files though. I tried putting a .mobi file into the kindle folder where downloaded books go and it crashes on startup (also tried renaming the file to .prc just in case). While I get that loading your own stuff isn't probably anything Amazon necessarily wants, it'd be nice if you could.

=X=
06-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Google had made it clear that they do not control nor have any desire to control what apps can be loaded on your phone [1]. They do control the Google Market but do allow other markets to exist. There are many develoeprs/vendors such as Gameloft and such do allow users to directly downloads of their apps.

However some phone vendors like Verizon do not allow users to install apps that are not from the Android Market.

[1] Okay there was on big brother incident that happens a few days ago, but for some reason this did not make big news, maybe Google has great PR or maybe folks tend to be more forgiving towards company X vs company Y. :srug:

Lemurion
06-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Google had made it clear that they do not control nor have any desire to control what apps can be loaded on your phone [1]. They do control the Google Market but do allow other markets to exist. There are many develoeprs/vendors such as Gameloft and such do allow users to directly downloads of their apps.

However some phone vendors like Verizon do not allow users to install apps that are not from the Android Market.

(emphasis mine, L)

[1] Okay there was on big brother incident that happens a few days ago, but for some reason this did not make big news, maybe Google has great PR or maybe folks tend to be more forgiving towards company X vs company Y. :srug:

I have a Droid from Verizon and have had no problems installing non-market apps. I downloaded B&N's ereader app direct from their site on my Droid and it installed just fine, and I have also been able do download .apk files on my computer and transfer them to the SD card to install.

All you have to do is tick the little checkbox to authorize installing non-market apps.

Nate the great
06-28-2010, 08:40 PM
is there some rule that says they arent allowed to have a download link on their own page if the app is in the market?

Kobo doesnt have their android app for download from the kobo site either. Id like to try these apps on the eken/haleron mids I have but cant because i cant use the market :(

It's irritating, isn't it? My solution was to make friends with someone who had a legit Android phone and was geeky enough to get the apks off.

I have of these apps on my blog:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/06/28/review-kindle-for-android/
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/06/18/review-aldiko-vs-kobo-on-a-large-android-tablet/

AnemicOak
06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
It's irritating, isn't it? My solution was to make friends with someone who had a legit Android phone and was geeky enough to get the apks off.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/06/18/review-aldiko-vs-kobo-on-a-large-android-tablet/

Just so you know, there's a newer version of the Kobo app out. Updated mine today.

=X=
06-28-2010, 09:03 PM
I have a Droid from Verizon and have had no problems installing non-market apps. I downloaded B&N's ereader app direct from their site on my Droid and it installed just fine, and I have also been able do download .apk files on my computer and transfer them to the SD card to install.

All you have to do is tick the little checkbox to authorize installing non-market apps.
Ah it must be phone vendor specific. I tried to install an APK package on the HTC Droid Eris and I got an error stating the Vendor only allows apps downloaded from the Android Market. I figured the "Vendor" was Verizon, it must have been HTC.

Thanks It's good to know Verizon is not blocking apps.

=X=

pendragginp
06-28-2010, 09:44 PM
:thanks: Nate

AnemicOak
06-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Ah it must be phone vendor specific. I tried to install an APK package on the HTC Droid Eris and I got an error stating the Vendor only allows apps downloaded from the Android Market. I figured the "Vendor" was Verizon, it must have been HTC.

Thanks It's good to know Verizon is not blocking apps.

=X=

Most phones have the use of non-marketplace disabled by default and on most it can be enabled by...

1) Go to Settings and Application Settings.
2) Enable Unknown Sources
http://pocketnow.com/how-to/how-to-install-non-market-apps-on-your-android-phone

According to Kobo during the beta...
The Motorola Droid, Milestone and Backflip are prevented from downloading non-Market applications
...which must be at least partly wrong if Lemurion has a Droid and is able to do it.

pendragginp
06-28-2010, 09:54 PM
One question: where should I copy the file to? Just in the root?

Dopedangel
06-28-2010, 10:06 PM
As far as I know AT&T is the only carrier that blocks non market apps from their android phones. For the rest you just have to enable the option for installing non market apps

bwaldron
06-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Well it seems decent enough. Works well in both portrait and landscape, pages turn quickly and all. On first blush at least it doesn't appear you can load your own mobi files though. I tried putting a .mobi file into the kindle folder where downloaded books go and it crashes on startup (also tried renaming the file to .prc just in case). While I get that loading your own stuff isn't probably anything Amazon necessarily wants, it'd be nice if you could.

Exact same experience here (crash on startup) with non-Amazon mobi files. I'll be sticking with Aldiko unless and until that changes.

AnemicOak
06-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Exact same experience here (crash on startup) with non-Amazon mobi files. I'll be sticking with Aldiko unless and until that changes.

Same here. I'm sure I'll occasionally use the Kindle app if I'm reading a book from Amazon and want to sync, but most of my Mobi stuff is not from Amazon. Aldiko is still the number one reading app on my phone.

SpiderMatt
06-29-2010, 12:41 AM

Ditto. I sent feedback to Amazon and hope it gets resolved.

bwaldron
06-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Same here. I'm sure I'll occasionally use the Kindle app if I'm reading a book from Amazon and want to sync, but most of my Mobi stuff is not from Amazon.

Yes, same here. The whispersync is nice for when I am reading an Amazon-sourced book (but most of my Mobipocket files are not); for the non-Amazon books, having access to the location numbers can prove useful for manually keeping track of one's place across multiple devices.

Hopefully this is a is a bug (that will be fixed) rather than a design feature.

But I maintain my library in both mobi and epub, so I'm fine with Aldiko (which is much more full-featured anyway).

AnemicOak
06-29-2010, 12:52 AM
But I maintain my library in both mobi and epub, so I'm fine with Aldiko (which is much more full-featured anyway).

Yeah, that's how I do it too, but I haven't got some of my older Mobi stuff converted yet.

HansTWN
06-29-2010, 01:11 AM
So I will have to get that Dell Streak now.

m-reader
06-29-2010, 01:27 AM
So I will have to get that Dell Streak now.

I'll wait for the 7" model. I'm planning on getting one for my daughter - hopefully it will be out before March next year (her birthday).

krischik
06-29-2010, 01:39 AM

No, but a download link is not helpful on a desktop computer. So it has become common to add a bar code on webpages which target desktop audience instead. You scan the barcode off your Monitor with the phones camera and be taken right to "download and install."

Very helpful once you got used to it.

For the developer the market is also very easy - especially when your app is not perfect yet you might enjoy that updates are pushed to the device :rolleyes: .

Martin

HansTWN
06-29-2010, 02:50 AM
I'll wait for the 7" model. I'm planning on getting one for my daughter - hopefully it will be out before March next year (her birthday).

For me the 5" version is the perfect phone form factor. The largest screen size that still fits comfortably in my pants' front pockets. That it is quite good for reading is just a bonus. Sort a go-anywhere-jack-of-all-trades, music, browsing, video. For a real tablet I would want more than 10".

EowynCarter
06-29-2010, 03:20 AM
Guess i'll install the android market on the archos 5.
Unless amazon minded putting it on the appLib. I doubt that.

krischik
06-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Unless amazon minded putting it on the appLib. I doubt that.

You mean this AppsLib: http://appslib.com ?

Now the developer guidelines say “1.5 Cupcake”. Kindle is 1.6.

Up until now “after sales support” and with it providing OS updates was close to non existing for mobile phone. I think in the next two years that changes.

EowynCarter
06-29-2010, 04:01 AM
The archos are 1.6 now ;) So that shoudn't be a problem.

m-reader
06-29-2010, 06:55 AM
For me the 5" version is the perfect phone form factor. The largest screen size that still fits comfortably in my pants' front pockets. That it is quite good for reading is just a bonus. Sort a go-anywhere-jack-of-all-trades, music, browsing, video. For a real tablet I would want more than 10".

If they were coming out with a 10" Streak, I'd probably be interested in that too.
I'm planning on getting this for the little people, 5" probably won't be big enough for a full interactive experience (reading, drawing, playing, multi touch, etc).

HansTWN
06-29-2010, 07:07 AM
If they were coming out with a 10" Streak, I'd probably be interested in that too.
I'm planning on getting this for the little people, 5" probably won't be big enough for a full interactive experience (reading, drawing, playing, multi touch, etc).

Dell does plan a 10" version. Probably early next year. My guess is it depends on how well the the 5" and 7" are doing.

m-reader
06-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Dell does plan a 10" version. Probably early next year. My guess is it depends on how well the the 5" and 7" are doing.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm in no hurry.

alism
06-29-2010, 07:44 AM
So does the Kindle for android app mean that you might soon be able to read kindle books on your nook without converting?

Gearhead
06-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Boo. 'Still no option for text justification. I keep thinking Amazon will add this feature.

EowynCarter
06-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Boo. 'Still no option for text justification. I keep thinking Amazon will add this feature.
:eek:
Ouch !

I really, really, don't need that app.

Lo Zeno
06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
So does the Kindle for android app mean that you might soon be able to read kindle books on your nook without converting?

Maybe... on LCD screen. I doubt that you'll be able to read them on the eInk screen without hacking the kindle application.

AnemicOak
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Doesn't the Nook use Android 1.5? The Kindle app requires 1.6 minimum, not that it won't necessarily work, but...

I'm sure someone will be trying it and reporting in though.

It does work on the eDGe, but only on the LCD side, not on the eInk side.
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/showthread.php?689-Kindle-for-Android-released..&

Olympus
06-29-2010, 10:29 AM
<hush hush mode>
no e-boundaries on the kindle versions of books for my android (yet) - so I can buy kindle versions (some @ extreme low prices like $0,99 instead of $13,49) although I do not live in that good US of A. (ie Dan Brown's Lost Symbol should not be sold outside of USA -
</hush hush mode>

BenLee
06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Any word on whether they plan on adding the audio/video support to the Android Kindle? Seems kind of unfair that the iPhone/iPad users get to rub that in the faces of Android users.

thinkpad
06-29-2010, 02:01 PM
no e-boundaries on the kindle versions of books for my android (yet)
But with that app on your phone I'm betting they pretty quickly can find out that your not in the U.S and ask for proof of residency.

haino
06-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Can Calibre be downloaded directly onto a MID or other device with the Android operating system?

krischik
06-30-2010, 12:27 AM
The archos are 1.6 now ;) So that shoudn't be a problem.

But the AppsLib shop demands 1.5 (at least in there FAQ) - so the software can't be distributed on AppsLib. So get yourself Android market :-) .

Martin

krischik
06-30-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm sure someone will be trying it and reporting in though.

There is nothing to try. The minimum version needed is part of the applications manifest. Android Market won't even display the application if you have a 1.5 device.

If you get the installation package elsewhere then the installer will refuse to install. The manifest is a pretty central part of the Android application management.

Can Calibre be downloaded directly onto a MID or other device with the Android operating system?

Theoretically yes - practically no. Even if you use the NDK to port calibre there is the problem of size. 200MB is not what you want to install on a mobile device. The problem with calibre is that it needs specific versions of QT and Python to work and usually bundles them as well. And Android comes without QT and Python so you definably have to bundle them.

Martin

PS I which there was a calibre version which comes without the bundled QT and Python. I got them both already and it is an enormous waste of hard-drive space. I tried to create one myself but I failed. The calibre build environment is so convoluted that I begin to think that it is in violation of the GPL.

SpiderMatt
06-30-2010, 01:28 AM
I got a reply from Amazon when I asked about the crashing issue:
Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Periodicals such as newspapers, magazines, blogs, and personal documents can currently only be delivered to a Kindle and cannot be viewed on the Kindle applications. However, most books available for reading on Amazon Kindle can also be read on the Kindle application.

You can read content you buy from the Kindle Store (such as books, newspapers, magazines, and blogs) on most Kindle devices or devices running a Kindle application registered to your Amazon.com account but not the other contents.

I'll let the Kindle team know that you're interested in the ability to receive subscriptions on your Kindle application. They're always looking for ways to improve our Kindle offerings and may be able to make this feature available in the future.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

It doesn't sound good. Seems like they have no intention of fixing the app to allow third-party files to be used. Even though it's not an official function on the iPod Touch, at least when it's jailbroken, any files uploaded to the Kindle books folder will open. I just automatically assumed that would be natively supported in an Android app. How disappointing.

krischik
06-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Seems like they have no intention of fixing the app to allow third-party files to be used.

What did you expect? Amazon does not even support the files bought by one of there own subsidiaries.

Even though it's not an official function on the iPod Touch, at least when it's jailbroken, any files uploaded to the Kindle books folder will open.

It worked for me. A test Mobipocket file with DRM stripped (I live in Switzerland I am allowed to do that) opened without trouble.

Or what was your problem?

Something unrelated. I looked through the comments and ratings (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-amazon-kindle-jzBpi.aspx) and after initial enthusiasm they are dropping.

Especially the German comments (http://de.androlib.com/android.application.com-amazon-kindle-jzBpi.aspx) criticize DRM and the lack of German language book.

Could it be that USA citizen are more acceptant to DRM?

Martin

SpiderMatt
06-30-2010, 02:26 AM
What did you expect? Amazon does not even support the files bought by one of there own subsidiaries.

It worked for me. A test Mobipocket file with DRM stripped (I live in Switzerland I am allowed to do that) opened without trouble.

Or what was your problem?

Something unrelated. I looked through the comments and ratings (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-amazon-kindle-jzBpi.aspx) and after initial enthusiasm they are dropping.

Especially the German comments (http://de.androlib.com/android.application.com-amazon-kindle-jzBpi.aspx) criticize DRM and the lack of German language book.

Could it be that USA citizen are more acceptant to DRM?

Martin

Are you saying you had no problem opening non-Amazon files on the iPod Touch? Because that's exactly what I was saying. It's disappointing that the Android app doesn't work similarly.

There are a lot of critics of DRM in the U.S. But there are also a lot of people who are not technologically inclined and don't know much about the issue. Personally, I strip DRM from all my files and archive them. DRM isn't an issue for me.

Olympus
06-30-2010, 03:04 AM
But with that app on your phone I'm betting they pretty quickly can find out that your not in the U.S and ask for proof of residency.

:angry: 30 minutes after this post I did receive an e-mail requesting proof of US residency :angry:
Will be interesting to experience the followups on this - will they revoke the purchased books ???

thinkpad
06-30-2010, 04:42 AM
:angry: 30 minutes after this post I did receive an e-mail requesting proof of US residency :angry:
Will be interesting to experience the followups on this - will they revoke the purchased books ???
Bummer, know it sounded to good to be true. If you got Android release 1.6 or later you could try to go through a VPN. Solution here:
http://blog.brightpointuk.co.uk/adding-vpn-connections-android-16-donut
But this wont help you with your current account since it's already been flagged.

krischik
06-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Are you saying you had no problem opening non-Amazon files on the iPod Touch? Because that's exactly what I was saying. It's disappointing that the Android app doesn't work similarly.

I had no problems opening opening non DRM files from Mobipocket on Android. Just copied the files into the “kindle” directory on my sd card.

Martin

thinkpad
06-30-2010, 05:55 AM
I had no problems opening opening non DRM files from Mobipocket on Android. Just copied the files into the “kindle” directory on my sd card.
Martin
Which Android version are you running?

DJones
06-30-2010, 06:14 AM
On first blush at least it doesn't appear you can load your own mobi files though. I tried putting a .mobi file into the kindle folder where downloaded books go and it crashes on startup (also tried renaming the file to .prc just in case).

I've just been trying different formats, using a gutenburg file converted to .mobi using Calibre causes the kindle app to crash, the same file converted using mobipocket converter to a .prc file works without problem.

As you've done, I tried renaming the file as .prc and also tried html and txt files, none of them had any success.

I couldn't get any .mobi files to work with the app on Android 1.6.

I think I'll stick with FBreader for most of my reading on Android.

krischik
06-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Which Android version are you running?

Nexus One with Android 2.2 “Froyo” - In the long run it pays to buy a non subsidised phone.

Martin

krischik
06-30-2010, 07:25 AM
I couldn't get any .mobi files to work with the app on Android 1.6.

Ups. Maybe we should look at the manifest then. There are three version numbers: Minimum required, maximum allowed (often 99999) and the version the system was compiled and tested with. The later might be enlightening.

Martin

thinkpad
06-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Nexus One with Android 2.2 “Froyo” - In the long run it pays to buy a non subsidised phone.
Martin
Nice phone, I've got one guy at work with a Nexus One but he hasn't got the OTA 2.2 update yet. Very nice feature to be able to install apps on the SD card. Don't think HTC Hero will get 2.2 in a long time since it just got 2.1.

krischik
06-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Very nice feature to be able to install apps on the SD card.

More importantly: the backup API is finally there. Took google ages to get it done. And yet it is absolutely essential.

Sadly both need the application developer to do some extra coding so it will take some time until applications move to the sdcard and backup works without rooting the phone first.

Martin

Conor
06-30-2010, 11:37 AM
I've got an HTC Desire (Android 2.1). While the app is in main memory, stored books are on the SD card.
It crashes when synching with Amazon. Turn off the mobile data connection and WiFi, and it will open non-DRM books. Once open, turning on the data connection doesn't seem to cause problems.
Can someone else confirm this?

bwaldron
06-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Interesting. I placed a few such books there, and the Kindle app consistently crashed immediately upon startup until I removed them. Behind the force-close message I could see the books I had added on the library screen.

Not running Froyo yet (2.1 on a Droid).

Glad to hear you had success; gives me hope.

bwaldron
06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
I've got an HTC Desire (Android 2.1). While the app is in main memory, stored books are on the SD card.
It crashes when synching with Amazon. Turn off the mobile data connection and WiFi, and it will open non-DRM books. Once open, turning on the data connection doesn't seem to cause problems.
Can someone else confirm this?

Yes. Just tried this; it is definitely the sync on startup that causes the crash -- with my radios off (in "airplane mode"), added Mobi files are fine (though they show up without their cover images) -- even after turning the data pipes back on. The sync function works fine as well after taking those steps -- until the Kindle app is removed from memory and restarted. I force-stopped the app manually, and then got the crash again on the startup sync.

SameerH
06-30-2010, 09:20 PM

Hmm.. let me look into this. send me your email at shasan at kobobooks dot com and I'll try and get you the apk unless there's some wierd reason I can't.

(I have a rooted N1 running 2.2 myself, I was downloading apks of the Kobo app while it was still unreleased).

kennyc
07-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Just got an email from Amazon on this today. Cool Beans!

Mogrith
07-11-2010, 01:26 AM

Martin

Doesn't work for me. App crashes as soon as the 3rd party title tries to display. (Cover issue?)

Amazon reply about this was:
I’m sorry, but you’ll not be able to download prc mobi files using your Kindle for Android application.…

pwjone1
07-11-2010, 07:19 AM
First, I'd like to thank Amazon for the Android Kindle Ap, I have downloaded it to my Moto Droid (Android 2.2) phone, plus a number of books, works well. I had started a thread over on an Amazon forum asking for it, nice to see that they made it happen, doubtless not because of my request, but since Android is used by Nook and soon other Kindle competitors, nice to see that Amazon did not hold a grudge and skip that platform. I do think Amazon "gets it" in terms of needing their eBooks to be read on multiple platforms. I actually finished off a book the other day using my Moto Droid, amazing how much time you can find to read when the eReader (i.e. Android phone) is just sitting there in your pocket, unexpected delays, or waiting for an appointment, or someone's late, etc. What I have to remember to do is turn on the wireless more for my Kindle, so the bookmarks sync more (when it was just with my PC, I used it less, and different books mostly (technical ones on the PC, fiction on the Kindle)). When you figure to read a few "pages" on the phone, it helps a lot to know where you were.

Amazon, as a company, I think mostly has gotten the eBook/eReader market "right", not surprising for what was initially a web-based book seller. I want to be able to read my eBooks wherever I am, across multiple computers, phones, tablets, etc. Don't get me wrong, I hate the DRM and the BS about turning off audio reading for some of the books, and I feel very sorry about the non-U.S. buyers getting screwed with, but I attribute much of that to the publishers and their Luddite attempts at control. Maybe Amazon too doesn't mind the DRM preventing books being swapped around for free, but I just don't see books as being the hack target that audio is. Ultimately DRM and the other distribution controls are only going to go away when the publishers allow it, or when legislation and/or the courts mandate it's absence. Some might scoff at the latter happening, but it was basically the combination of legislation+courts that allowed printed matter to be the way it is today, i.e. with libraries, and you able to donate or resell a book you no longer need, the publishers obviously fought that, or would if they could. And I cannot totally blame them, they're trying to make money, kind of the American way when you come down to it, but still, a society is conventions and general agreement to social practices of what's allowed and not allowed, there needs to be a balance.

krischik
07-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Amazon, as a company, I think mostly has gotten the eBook/eReader market "right", not surprising for what was initially a web-based book seller.

I take it you have never been a Mobipocket customer and you do not know what Amanzon did to Mobipocket after Amazon bought Mobipocket.

Well inform yourself:

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15520

You see Amazon has a 2nd eBook store hidden away in Europe and there things are not going well at all!

Unless Amazon finally merges Mobipocket and Kindle I will never forgive them and I will never buy anything from them again.

kind of the American way when you come down to it

It would be ok if the Americans would keep they way of live to themselves. And in the current case that would mean: Not buying companies in other countries and then ruining them.

Martin

bwaldron
07-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Just updated to the 1.0.1 version of the app, and in limited testing I have been able to open my own non-DRM'd mobi files without encountering the force close issues experienced with the initial release.

AnemicOak
07-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Just updated to the 1.0.1 version of the app, and in limited testing I have been able to open my own non-DRM'd mobi files without encountering the force close issues experienced with the initial release.

Same here. No crashes when it syncs with my own content added. :thumbsup:

kjk
07-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Same here. No crashes when it syncs with my own content added. :thumbsup:

So the Android Kindle App is the only one that officially lets users use their own content? (outside the actual Kindle).

Publicity
07-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't know what I would do without my Kindle for Mac, and for iPhone! So I'm glad that they have finally gotten you guys one for the Android.

Tami

AnemicOak
07-15-2010, 07:29 PM
So the Android Kindle App is the only one that officially lets users use their own content? (outside the actual Kindle).

As far as I know, yes (when it comes to store apps). The Kobo app doesn't. B&N's had one "coming soon" since before the Nook came out so who knows if that will or not, if it ever arrives.

kjk
07-15-2010, 09:22 PM
As far as I know, yes (when it comes to store apps). The Kobo app doesn't. B&N's had one "coming soon" since before the Nook came out so who knows if that will or not, if it ever arrives.

Oh, I actually meant from Amazon. Because I know the other Kindle Apps don't officially support any sideloading of personal content-so it's great they allow the Android one to do it.

bwaldron
07-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Oh, I actually meant from Amazon. Because I know the other Kindle Apps don't officially support any sideloading of personal content-so it's great they allow the Android one to do it.

I don't think it is any more "officially" supported on Android than on the other platforms.

AnemicOak
07-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't think it is any more "officially" supported on Android than on the other platforms.

Right, so let's hope they don't find the 'bug' and 'fix' it in the next version. ;)

kjk
07-16-2010, 10:53 AM

So its more a clever hack than policy? I was hoping they were experimenting with allowing it as a standard feature for all their apps. :(

wodin
07-16-2010, 02:32 PM

I'm not sure that I want Amazon to know what non-DRM Mobi files I have, but I am pretty sure that if I import them into the Kindle app, they'll know.

jonathanreid
07-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Would it be possible for someone to post this new 1.0.1 version somewhere I could download it? I have a tablet without marketplace so can't get it from there and I want to see if some of the crashes I am experiencing are fixed.

bwaldron
07-17-2010, 10:19 AM
So its more a clever hack than policy? I was hoping they were experimenting with allowing it as a standard feature for all their apps. :(

Not a hack, really, as the (non-Topaz) Kindle format is Mobi. I don't think they want to publicize it, as (1) they don't really want to deal with support questions regarding how to get such content over to the phone/device, and (2) they would rather you purchased more books from their store than obtain DRM-free content elsewhere.

bwaldron
07-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure that I want Amazon to know what non-DRM Mobi files I have, but I am pretty sure that if I import them into the Kindle app, they'll know.

I'm sure they know if they want to, and at some level I understand the concern. But I've had hundreds of such books on my various Kindle devices/apps over the past few years (a mix of DRM-stripped and converted books purchased elsewhere and DRM-free books from Baen, this forum and elswehere) and honestly don't worry about it.

wodin
07-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm sure they know if they want to, and at some level I understand the concern. But I've had hundreds of such books on my various Kindle devices/apps over the past few years (a mix of DRM-stripped and converted books purchased elsewhere and DRM-free books from Baen, this forum and elswehere) and honestly don't worry about it.

If you think that Amazon would let free demographics like that go to waste, you have more faith in them than I do. As with Google (The cloud is EVIL), the more they know about me, the better they can target me.

krischik
07-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Would it be possible for someone to post this new 1.0.1 version somewhere I could download it?

You might get it from : Zappmaket- (http://apps.facebook.com/zappmarket/). I have not tried them as I have access to the Market so you have to find out for yourself.

Martin

Wurstbrot
07-23-2010, 12:58 PM
It's great to use the app for my own added MOBI content, too. Large books (e.g. "Shantaram") open much faster with the Kindle app than with Aldiko. And of course it's easier to keep track of the last page read when switching between my Kindle and my Android phone. Although I'd prefer to have the automatic sync of course, but there seems to be no way to have that feature for books not bought from Amazon.

What I couldn't manage is to see the added books covers in the app. It always shows a default image. The covers of the Amazon books are small JPGs in the subfolder "covers" with the same filename as the PRC-Files. But adding such a JPG for my added books didn't work.

Has anybody already found a solution for the covers?

bwaldron
07-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Has anybody already found a solution for the covers?

Not really. I tried adding my own jpg covers, as you did. Strangely, this worked for about five books out of a few hundred. I have been unable to determine what is unique among those few that worked.

AnemicOak
07-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I've only added on book, just to try out side loading, but it's cover shows up just fine without doing anything special. This mobi, just like all of my mobi's was converted from an ePub using Calibre (even books bought as mobi get converted to epub, tweaked, and re-converted to mobi).

Wurstbrot
07-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Thanks. Good to hear that it works in some cases. So if I have some spare time I'll try different books and different settings for the Calibre conversions. Need some luck then and perhaps I'll find a clue :-)

bookratt
01-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Dear Nate:

Thanks for the kobo and kindle apks - I was having problems finding these apks I could download for a non-andriod market application. I just put them on my newly hacked Pandigital Novel. :thanks:

fjtorres
01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Newer links:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111705