View Full Version : Native Font, ScreenSaver & USBNetwork Hacks for Kindle 2.x, 3.x & 4.x

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

NiLuJe
09-30-2010, 02:26 PM
No adverse effect, but I'd be really surprised if it actually changed anything. The font-packages-as-update way is more likely the best way to workaround this.

As for the why, you aren't necessarily the only one, some other people have had weird issues like that (Pushka, daffy4u), and that was even *before* the full hack, but with the reader.pref & alt family tweak. So, supposedly, something is way more fragile than before regarding the framework handling of font files ;).

EDIT: Just switched back to my usual fonts with an update pkg, still no issues. ;)

Anarel
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm trying to change the fonts on my K3 but I'm missing something, I think... I installed the jailbreak no problem, the fonts.bin, I installed no problem... but how do I change the fonts on the Kindle? I mean it changed after I installed the font.bin but how do I change it to something else?

gargoyle67
09-30-2010, 03:14 PM
@NiLuJe, Yeah thanks for some reason I had to Jailbreak my K3 again even though the ss hack was working, I re-installed the "kindle-fonts-3.9.N-k3" plus the "Fontin_K3_PKG" after a re-boot, But still can't see any difference in the fronts. How are you supposed to switch between the different font sets ?
Can you post a pic of the default font vs what we're supposed to be seeing when the above packages are installed.

NiLuJe
09-30-2010, 03:26 PM
@Anarel: Read the first post gain, you did miss something.

@gargoyle67: The snapshots are attached to the second & third post. (Second post is the font hack defaults, and Fontin is one of the screenshots in the third post). If you're still seeing the default fonts, something's seriously weird (Or you're using the Condensed font family in books)...

Anarel
09-30-2010, 03:29 PM
@Anarel: Read the first post gain, you did miss something.

Thanks, that was incredibly helpful advice, but I already did that and I still don't understand. Am I supposed to change some filenames in the linkfonts folder or something?

gargoyle67
09-30-2010, 03:31 PM
This is what I'm getting after the successful install of the font hack:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/gargoyle67/Text1.jpg
This is still the default font right ? I'm trying to get a thicker looking font.

jglerner
09-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Why don't we put all the Kindle 3 hacking on a new thread, so we don't mess different kinds of questions (and answers)?

From what I read here, there are some small differences among K2 and K3 that concerns each of them.

We can keep NiLuJe's first post on this thread and NiLuJe can focus on K3 on the new
"Fonts and Screensavers Hacks for The Kindle 3" or something alike.

Anyway K3 firmwware is not 2.5.6 as far as I am concerned.

gargoyle67
09-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Here's whats in my linkfont & Fonts folders, Does anything look wrong ?
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/gargoyle67/Linkfonts-medium.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/gargoyle67/Fonts-large.jpg

daffy4u
09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks, that was incredibly helpful advice, but I already did that and I still don't understand. Am I supposed to change some filenames in the linkfonts folder or something?

Have you tried the instructions in the Visual Kindle Guide? We have pictures. :)

Tvangeste
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
@NiLuJe

I installed usbNetwork hack, version 0.21.N, and I'm to report that SSHD auto-start issue is indeed no more. Thanks, you are awesome!!! 8-)

daffy4u
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Here's whats in my linkfont & Fonts folders, Does anything look wrong ?

I don't know if it's wrong or not but I don't have that many fonts in my linkfonts/fonts folder.

http://wiki.mobileread.com/images/d/d3/Linkfons_font_foldert.jpg

BTW, this is for K3.

gargoyle67
09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
@daffy4u, Yeah I think that's when I hand'nt read the instructions properly and thought I could use any fonts :rolleyes: I now realize that you overwrite the original default fonts with the ones you want :thumbsup:
Can anyone recommend a good thick bold clear font, Thanks.

NiLuJe
09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Eep!

@Anarel: I cannot possibly make it clearer than in the first post/wiki. Whatever I might answer you here is already written in greater detail in the first post and the WiKi ;). Very succintly: The hack uses 12 font files (+2 for CJK/I18N). You switch these 12 files, and you restart your Kindle.

@gargoyle67: That looks like a full Serif to me, so no, not the default font. I'd say Droid Serif, which is the font installed by default with the fonts hack.

@gargoyle67 (bis): No, your folder looks fine. Although the custom fonts there looks like Fontin, which is *not* the font used in your picture...

@Tvangeste: Great :).

@daffy4u: Because that's before the font hack first ran. It copies over all of the default fonts that you see on the other screens.

gargoyle67
09-30-2010, 04:13 PM
@NiLuJe, Lol yep you caught me that was an older pic :p Thanks man, Working great now :iloveyou:

daffy4u
09-30-2010, 04:14 PM
@daffy4u: Because that's before the font hack first ran. It copies over all of the default fonts that you see on the other screens.

I see! I never felt the need to look at that folder again since everything was working. :)

NiLuJe
09-30-2010, 04:59 PM
And to answer jglerner re: splitting the thread: We already discussed it a bit the first time around, and it's still not something I want to do ;).

With very, very few exceptions, the issues/instructions are the same between fw 2.x & fw 3.x. The hack themselves work in exactly the same way. That'd just make me have to repeat myself in two threads instead of one ;).

And, for all intents and purposes, we can probably consider the fw 2.x to be a 'frozen'/'dead' platform, so nothing new's gonna happen on that front.

NiLuJe
09-30-2010, 06:58 PM
To workaround the issues some of you have encountered when switching fonts on FW 3.x, you'll find here a bunch of font sets packaged as an update file.

To use these, just upload the file corresponding to your Kindle model to the root of your Kindle, and "Update Your Kindle", just like a hack ;). You shouldn't need to restart your Kindle at all after that :).

(Of course, for these to do something, you'll have to have the Fonts Hack installed!)

Now, if you want to package your own fonts like this, it's gonna be a bit more cumbersome than usual. You'll be needing a Python 2.x environment, and OpenSSL. If you're on OS X/Linux, you shouldn't have to do anything, that should already be part of your system. On Windows, you'll have to install both.
Python: http://www.python.org/download
OpenSSL: http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html (The Light installer should be enough)

Download the kindle-fontpackager-1.0.N.zip file attached here, and unpack it somewhere easy to find. For the purpose of this post, I'll assume it's unpacked in ~/Kindle on OS X/Linux, and C:\Kindle on Windows.

Also take note of where the fonts you want to use are located (And, as always, they'll have to follow the usual naming scheme (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=977006&postcount=97)). I'll assume they're in ~/Kindle/Fonts (C:\Kindle\Fonts on Windows).

Open your favorite Terminal emulator (cmd by default on Windows), and do:

OS X & Linux

cd ~/Kindle/src
python ./build-update.py ~/Kindle/Fonts

Windows

cd C:\Kindle\src
build-update.py C:\Kindle\Fonts

If you're not missing any font files, you'll end up with the update .bin file you need in ~/Kindle (C:\Kindle on Windows) ;).

no1bossman
09-30-2010, 07:34 PM
I have a 3G version so I was wondering if my unit uses the host computer as a gateway with the USB network feature will it still attempt to communicate over the 3G network at the same time? I'm a international user currently with wireless disabled & downloading ebooks via USB.

Anarel
09-30-2010, 08:20 PM
The wiki page helped me a bit more with this than the original post.

When I want to change the font from what it is now to something else, do I take the font files from the linkfonts folder on my Kindle or the fonts file from the font.bin I downloaded and unpacked? x_X

kiat
09-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi

Can I know what is the purpose of running the jailbreak?

Do I need to run that before running the screensaver hack?

NiLuJe
09-30-2010, 08:46 PM
@no1bossman: No tethering is automatically enabled with the USBNet hack. You have to start/stop it manually. So, you're probably still using the 3G network. (Or nothing if it's off :)). it won't magically enable any kind of networking to the outside world, just PC<->Kindle ;).

@Anarel: Er, what? You take them (and by 'them', I mean the *new* fonts) from wherever you want, so long as they're named correctly, and you copy them *to* the linkfonts/fonts folder *on* your Kindle. o_O

@kiat: The sole purpose of the jailbreak is to enable us to use custom update files. So, yes, you need it.

jglerner
09-30-2010, 09:16 PM
And to answer jglerner re: splitting the thread: We already discussed it a bit the first time around, and it's still not something I want to do ;).

With very, very few exceptions, the issues/instructions are the same between fw 2.x & fw 3.x. The hack themselves work in exactly the same way. That'd just make me have to repeat myself in two threads instead of one ;).

And, for all intents and purposes, we can probably consider the fw 2.x to be a 'frozen'/'dead' platform, so nothing new's gonna happen on that front.

If it's OK for you, it's good for me!

Thanks for the direct answer.

:thanks::iloveyou:

mubertmumphrey
09-30-2010, 09:54 PM
As promised earlier, here are images of Adobe Garamond Premier Pro semibold on my Kindle. Again, this was converted from otf to ttf with High-Logic FontCreator, which seemed to do a better job than FontForge. The second and third screenshots are at font size 4, and the last image is size 3. At size 4, the font size seems very close to the original serif at size 3, except there is slightly more vertical spacing (which could always be adjusted with the font software).

no1bossman
09-30-2010, 10:04 PM
@no1bossman: No tethering is automatically enabled with the USBNet hack. You have to start/stop it manually.

Sorry to be a pain. How do I disable tethering? I only ask because I don't want the 3G connectivity on for too long while I figure it out.

NiLuJe
09-30-2010, 11:00 PM
@mubertmumphrey: Note that you should be able to use the OTF directly. Just rename them. (I'm using some OpenType CFF fonts without any issue right now) ;). They should be a bit sharper and less fuzzy if the hinting is good. But it depends on how you prefer your fonts to look, sharp or fuzzy ;).

@no1bossman: There is no tethering until you atually start it yourself, that's what I just said.

mubertmumphrey
09-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Wow, really? Behold my stupidity. It boggles my mind then that the file size of the converted ttf files are a magnitude larger than the original otfs. If otf is an extension of ttf, you'd think the files would likely be smaller.

NiLuJe
09-30-2010, 11:10 PM
@mubertmumphrey: If it's using CFF (cubic) curves instead of TT (quadratic) curves, they're usually a bit smaller. Also, no TrueType bytecode hinting instructions, which can take up a shitload of space ;). Also depends on how much your software compress the font file itself :). Bottom line, just saying 'OpenType' doesn't really tell you much about how the font is really outlined :).

The foundry will usually give a more accurate description, like OpenType CFF, OpenType PS/Type2, or OpenType TrueType, so that's not really a problem when you're actually browsing/buying fonts, but when you stumble upon a file on your hard-drive, it can be a pain to tell the difference unless you know what & how to look for ;).

mubertmumphrey
09-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification, I only wish I knew so much about font formats.

I copied over the original otf files and now the font looks quite off. I compared the images up close, and it's interesting how different the anti-aliasing is. The ttf version looks fuller with edges less defined, while the otf version seems to be cutting down on the number of interpolated pixels at the expense of creating artifacts.

The attached image is of the original Adobe Premier Pro semibold font in OpenType format. The text is identical to the third image of my previous post.

kiat
09-30-2010, 11:38 PM
@no1bossman: No tethering is automatically enabled with the USBNet hack. You have to start/stop it manually. So, you're probably still using the 3G network. (Or nothing if it's off :)). it won't magically enable any kind of networking to the outside world, just PC<->Kindle ;).

@Anarel: Er, what? You take them (and by 'them', I mean the *new* fonts) from wherever you want, so long as they're named correctly, and you copy them *to* the linkfonts/fonts folder *on* your Kindle. o_O

@kiat: The sole purpose of the jailbreak is to enable us to use custom update files. So, yes, you need it.

Thanks!!

Working perfectly now :)

NiLuJe
10-01-2010, 12:09 AM
@mubertmumphrey: Yeah, that does look like what the K3 would do with an OTF (or a TrueType font with bytecode hinting instructions, and the bytecode hinter enabled, for that matter) with slightly off hinting (or hinting tweaked for other renderers...).

So, yeah, it's a bit hit & miss depending on the fonts... (You can get an idea of how it'll look like on a K3 when using FreeType on a PC, with the hinting at the highest level, the bytecode hinter enabled, and the autohinter disabled).

With a full Linux system, you can usually avoid these kind of issues, either by using the autohinter (wich was the default on a lot of distribs for a long time, because of patents issues), or by having an extensive fontconfig configuration with explicit bci/autohint blacklists for some fonts/foundries, depending on the desired size of the font. Unfortunately, on the K3, those settings are frozen (except for the browser, and even then, that might not be true, I haven't checked).

To give you an idea, my local fontconfig config file is 200 lines long... And that's just for a few specific fonts/foundries handling, most of it for the MS Core fonts ;). (But I freely admit to being pretty anal about font rendering on my computer, so... :D). And I usually do end up using the autohinter over bci for everything except MS fonts, both because I usually prefer how it renders fonts, and because it pretty much solves any issue a font might have because of crappy embedded hinting instructions ;).

AFAIK, MS' ClearType renderer avoid some of those issues by using the hinting instructions differently, and an extended blacklist system.

No idea about Apple & Adobe's renderers, but I guess they usually do try to avoid showing things like that to the user ;). (Not that familiar with those, the OS X font rendering pretty much makes me want to tear my eyes out... And again for every website embedding text rendered like that in images... For the few times I used Acrobat, Adobe's one seems pretty nice & solid).

EDIT: Attached some screens of ftview to demonstrate how settings change everything with FreeType... (first is Lucida Sans, crappy hinting, second is Consola, very specific hinting, last is DejaVu Serif, very marked hinting tailored to FT). Most of my FontConfig tinkering usually ends up in settings like in the second column (which will look like crap on a CRT screen, in case anyone still has one of those :P).

gargoyle67
10-01-2010, 04:00 AM
@mubertmumphrey, Nice, I like that font ! is anyone planning to release it for the K3 ?
@NiLuJe, Are you saying that Adobe Garamond Premier Pro semibold in mubertmumphrey's post isn't sharp enough then and you have something similar but better ?
The Adobe Garamond looks like just the font I was after, I'm not so keen on the release fonts so far although I haven't tried all of them.

nubreader
10-01-2010, 04:04 AM
@NiLuJe: i give up sir, nothing is working, not even the packages. tried the soft hack.. they wouldn't work too. i updated mine to 3.0.2 and re did the font install... still no go.. couldn't help but laugh it off :)

flandroid
10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
@mubertmumphrey, Nice, I like that font ! is anyone planning to release it for the K3 ?

Unlikely. The faces are very much commercial. $35 each -- $200 for the whole set.

It's not so bad when you can write it off for work. :)

Edit: Whoops, I originally meant to ask mubertmumphrey -- did you try the Regular using the same conversion method? The reason I ask is that your semibold looks great, but is a bit...bold for my taste. However, your renamed OTF is showing the same characteristics as my Regular did when I converted it. If your conversion method to TTF makes the Regular look the way I wanted it to look, I may have to do it that way. I just gave up, essentially.

hondamarlboro
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
@NiLuJe: Thank you for great work as always.
As for the USBnet-0.21, "auto" restart moves to usbnetwork mode instead of usb drive mode when plug into K3 by default. But, I failed to get back to usb drive mode even if I kill process related to telnetd/sshd by usbnetwork command in terminal and message as follows:

[root@kindle root]# usbnetwork
system: I usbnetwork:def:switching from usbnet to usbms
system: I usbnetwork:def:bringing usb0 interface down
system: I usbnetwork:def:unloading g_ether module
system: I usbnetwork:def:loading g_file_storage module
system: I usbnetwork:def:stopping telnetd
system: I usbnetwork:def:cleaning stale telnetd pidfile
system: I usbnetwork:def:stopping sshd
system: I usbnetwork:def:restoring iptables config

Once "auto" restart, Can I go back to usb drive mode without renaming "auto" to "DISABLE_auto" and restart K3?

NiLuJe
10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
@gargoyle67: No, that was just an example. And like flandroid said, no, it's a commercial font ;).

@nubreader: Huh. That's *really* weird... But thanks for all your tests anyway ;).

@hondamarlboro: Oh, yeah, the install may have reset the config file, I'll have to check that...

Running the usbnetwork script directly while you're connected probably won't work very well (can't unload a kernel module still in use ;)).

Running the ~usbNetwork private command without anything plugged and the usb network interface down should work, though.

So, right now, to switch back to usbms without restarting, I'd say try the ~usbNetwork private command without anything plugged.

I'll try to come up with something to *not* reset the config in the install process.

All that said, this is normal behaviour for a config with WIFI ON & SSHD_ONLY OFF.

EDIT: Er, oops. The install process already handles that, I just forgot to update the md5 checksums.... >_<"

EDITē:

Bump USBNetwork to v0.22.N

* Restore the 'preserve custom config file' feature during the install process. I'd kinda forgot about it xD.

hondamarlboro
10-01-2010, 09:51 PM
@NiLuJe: Thank you for prompt update as usual:)

I tried USBNet-0.22, but it doesn't work well under the following circumstance:

Restart after renaming DISABLED_auto to "auto" on Kindle3
WIFI=true, SSHD_ONLY=false in /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/config
telnet/ssh works well:)

To switch back to usb mode, I hit ;debgubOn and ~usbNetwork without usb plug cable
But K3 doesn't switch to usb mode after usb cable plugged.

Something wrong with my setting? or this is normal?

NiLuJe
10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
@hondamarlboro: Nope, nothing wrong with your settings, and it should work. But this vaguely reminds me of a similar issue on a K2 that led me to switch the 'auto' mode off by default, so I'll check this out, try to find out what's wrong... ;)

EDIT: Should be fixed with v0.23.N :).

parazhang
10-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Hi,NiLuJe:

I upgraded my kindle DXG following by your guide,every step worked as it should do,but I still cannot read chinese character.

According to your v3.9.N changlog--
Update the CJK.ttf font (Droid Fallback). Supports even more Chinese glyphs.

So I am really wondered about this,I can see that the CJK.ttf and I18N.ttf are in the fonts directory.Do I need to do more steps to see the Chinese character,such as copy some other fonts in the fonts dir and modify configuration files?

Thanks in advance.

NiLuJe
10-02-2010, 12:09 AM
@parazhang: You're not on FW 3.x, there's no official CJK & I18N support. So these font files are not used by your device at all. If you want CJK support, you'll have to setup them the old way, (ie. with CJK fonts as the Serif_* family).

NiLuJe
10-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Bump USBNetwork to v0.23.N

* Workaround the 'nothing exported over USB MS' issue when using the autostart feature, and trying to switch back to usbms via the usbNetwork private command. (We're now autostarted very late, after the framework, instead of very early way before the framework runlevel).

(If you're using the auto feature, you might want to do a proper full restart after installing this update ;)).

On a sidenote, you know you've spent too much time tweaking usbnetwork, when, after only
06:53:45 up 7 days your kernel kindly reminds you that usb 2-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 97 usb 6-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 15 and scsi53 : usb-storage 6-1:1.0... xD

parazhang
10-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Hi,NiLuJe:

what is the meaning of "ie. with CJK fonts as the Serif_* family"? Did you mean to copy CJK.ttf 4 times to Serif_*.ttf?
Any links or background posts are there?

BTW,I am satisfied with the effect with the native fonts when reading English material,want let the kindle DXG to run the chinese characters on webpages.

Thanks you so much,man.
Regards.

NiLuJe
10-02-2010, 12:47 AM
@parazhang: Yep, that would do it (By Serif_*, I mean Serif_Regular, Serif_Bold, etc. Check the firts post for the full proper naming scheme).

And yep, there are a bunch of info on this right in this thread, do a search by messages ;).

Note that if you want CJK support in the browser, you might have to switch the other two families (Sans, Mono) with CJK-aware fonts too.

parazhang
10-02-2010, 12:59 AM
I can see Sans,Mono,Serif all in the fonts dir.
1,How to switch to the others?
2,I have an idea by step1--Can I add/copy android fallback(seems support Chinese) to the fonts dir and let webpages involve it solely withour affect others.

Regards.

NiLuJe
10-02-2010, 01:07 AM
@parazhang:

1/ Check the docs. (6 AM here, I don't really feel the need to repeat myself right now ^^)

2/ If you want to switch *only* the browser fonts, you'll have to tweak the linkfonts/etc/netfront.ini file yourself. By default, the hack uses the same fonts for everything. (system, reader & browser).

parazhang
10-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Hi,NiLuJe:
Thanks a lot,take your time.I will try.

All the best.

hondamarlboro
10-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Bump USBNetwork to v0.23.N

* Workaround the 'nothing exported over USB MS' issue when using the autostart feature, and trying to switch back to usbms via the usbNetwork private command. (We're now autostarted very late, after the framework, instead of very early way before the framework runlevel).

(If you're using the auto feature, you might want to do a proper full restart after installing this update ;)).

On a sidenote, you know you've spent too much time tweaking usbnetwork, when, after only

Much appreciated again and again:thanks:
It took much time but successfully switched back to usb mode w/o restart!

hal9000_jr
10-02-2010, 10:55 AM
so, I have a K2 ver 2.5.3 that is not jailbroken. I followed the instructs on the 1st post, copied 'update_jailbreak_k2_install.bin' to the root of the drive when mounted via USB and no matter what I do, I the "Update your Kindle" option remains greyed out.

I searched here but found no answer and searching on google isn't helping either.

Nevermind, had to use k2i not k2.

Tvangeste
10-03-2010, 10:36 AM
@NiLuJe

Could you please clarify one thing. If I'd like to upgrade Kindle 3 firmware (say, from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2), should I do anything about the jailbreak and hacks? Should I uninstall anything?

Or just upgrading the firmware would simply work?

nubreader
10-03-2010, 10:42 AM
@NiLuJe

Could you please clarify one thing. If I'd like to upgrade Kindle 3 firmware (say, from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2), should I do anything about the jailbreak and hacks? Should I uninstall anything?

Or just upgrading the firmware would simply work?

i went on from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 with my jailbreak and screensaver hack on.
he mentioned its of no problem :thumbsup:

Tvangeste
10-03-2010, 11:01 AM
@nubreader

Thanks! It all worked just fine, upgraded to 3.0.2 without uninstalling or installing anything else, and all the hacks are OK.

Balerion
10-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi NiLuJe,

I am finding that my reboot file is disappearing (I'm assuming that it shouldn't). I just installed 3.9.N having properly uninstalled 3.3.N, copied the autoreboot file, and renamed it to reboot, and it works the first time, but then disappears and I have to re-copy-paste-rename the blank file. Any ideas?

bartveld
10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Is it me or is this how it's supposed to be: my screensaver never changes in one "session". It's the same picture all the time until I wake up the Kindle. That's not how a regular screensaver should work, is it? This behaviour persists after installing the screensaver hack. I seem to remember reading that you can set the interval at which the screensavers change, but I can't find it anymore. Anyway, is this the normal pattern and if not, what might I do?

NogDog
10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi NiLuJe,

I am finding that my reboot file is disappearing (I'm assuming that it shouldn't). I just installed 3.9.N having properly uninstalled 3.3.N, copied the autoreboot file, and renamed it to reboot, and it works the first time, but then disappears and I have to re-copy-paste-rename the blank file. Any ideas?

I believe that is by design, so that your Kindle does not reboot every time you connect it to your computer and then eject it -- only when you specifically want it to do so.

NiLuJe
10-03-2010, 08:05 PM
@Tvangeste: The upgrade should work without you touching anything ;).

@Balerion: Er, that's the point. The 'autoreboot' file shouldn't be touched, unless you want to disable the autoreboot feature. The 'reboot' file, on the other hand, is a 'one shot' trigger file, you drop it, you unplug, the kindle restarts the framework once, and removes the file. Like NogDog said, that prevents your Kindle from restarting each time you unplug it ;).

@bartveld: Unless you have only one valid file in the screensavers folder, no, it's not normal. They're displayed in ascending alphabetical sequence, from the list of files available during the framework boot.
If you meant are they supposed to change *while* the kindle is sleeping, then, no, it indeeds stay on the same image until the device is woken up. And switches to the next image in the sequence at the *next* sleep ;). But it doesn't change while the kinlde is sleeping, no, that's normal ;).

@NogDog: Yep, exactly :).

bartveld
10-04-2010, 04:38 AM
If you meant are they supposed to change *while* the kindle is sleeping, then, no, it indeeds stay on the same image until the device is woken up.

Yep, that's what I meant. But isn't the idea behind a screensaver that a single image would "burn" into the screen, leaving a ghost image? So changing the screen automatically at a certain interval would prevent this from happening? Or is an E-ink screen different? But what would be the purpose of a screensaver then?

Genmutant
10-04-2010, 07:01 AM
It's just to look nice ;-)
The burned in picture is today no problem anymore on any device (like LCD, CRT,...) except on plasma monitors for the first few hours.

drendo70
10-04-2010, 07:52 AM
@NiLuJe take a look at : http://wiki.dropbox.com/DropboxAddons

Scroll down theres a fuse filesystem mount script for dropbox public folders.

Think your could get that to work with your usbnetwork? that would be awesome indeed

drendo70
10-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Oh and why not update the busybox to a fullfeatured one instead of the thiny one your using now - doesn't hurt and It'd be much more usefull.

In addition you should probably also EXPORT a path to ;/mnt/us/usbnetwork/bin/; tiring to always having to ./busybox grep for instance

oodseo
10-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Hello team,

I have a problem with my internet conection through my kindle / PC.

My kindle model is DX GRAPHITE (version 2.5.5).

I have installed first the kindle-jailbreak-0.3.N (error 006) and second the kindle-usbnetwork-0.23.N ...

I can connect the kindle with the PC -Windows XP ( I installed the linux.inf driver ) and then appears the computer icon at the right bottom corner.

I can make ping to 192.168.2.2. When I make telnet 192.168.2.2 i try to do login using user: root ... but when i try to type the password... nothing happens, always appear wrong password...

I'm trying to do ... DebugOn; usbNetwork`and when I write 'usbQa ... my pc recognize the kindle like an USB drive!!! not like a Lan connection... always happens this when I type the last command 'usbQa... If I type till usbNetwork, the pc recognize it like a Lan adaptor...

What can I do for use internet on my PC ???

Thanks in advance !

daffy4u
10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Yep, that's what I meant. But isn't the idea behind a screensaver that a single image would "burn" into the screen, leaving a ghost image? So changing the screen automatically at a certain interval would prevent this from happening? Or is an E-ink screen different? But what would be the purpose of a screensaver then?

The screen burn in was with old computer monitors. Kindles and nooks use a image to indicate that the device is asleep (sleep screen). My Sony 505 just goes blank when it sleeps which looks the same as when it's off. The screensaver name is just a hold over. There is no burn in with e-ink screens but there is ghosting which can cleared with a refresh (alt+g on the Kindle).

NiLuJe
10-04-2010, 02:03 PM
@bartveld: Yeah, no 'burn' with an e-Ink screen. It's just a visual cue to show that the Kindle is sleeping ;).

@drendo70: DropFuse is in Python. So, unless someone ports it to C, not gonna happen ;).

As for a full featured busybox, the Kindle already has one (albeit a bit outdated), and I don't really 'miss' any tools. Those that I did miss and built & bundled weren't even part of busybox ;). But nothing prevents you from x-compiling one yourself :). And symlinking it into PATH or tweaking the shell rc file (if the busybox shell bundled even support such a thing). (Or even drop me a busybox config and I'll build it for you).

@oodseo: Er, the telnet daemon shouldn't even ask you for an username. Try SSH.
And don't use the usbQa command. It hasn't been needed for as long as I can remember. And you *won't* be able to use your Kindle connection on your computer, it's the other way around. And don't even ask about it, it's against Amazon's TOS.

SunLight
10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I have 3.0.1 firmware, is it safe to upgrade to the latest firmware version and still have the hacks present?

NiLuJe
10-04-2010, 05:50 PM
@SunLight: Yes.

NiLuJe
10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Bump ScreenSavers to v0.15.N:

* Properly detect the screen size instead of trying every size possible. (Avoid an useless mount).

It's just a bit cleaner that way, but other than that it doesn't change a thing, so you really don't need to upgrade ;).

sway
10-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, does anyone know how to uninstall the usbnet hack? even after uninstalling (updating with uninstall bin), there is still usbnet directory present on my Kindle. Is it safe to delete it?

Thx

Honza

NiLuJe
10-05-2010, 04:09 PM
@sway: Yep, you can safely delete it once the hack is uninstalled. (And after a reboot if it was still in use).

vdp
10-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi,

I guess this is a silly question...

I noticed most posters are using K3, and I my device is Kindle DXG(B009) with FW 2.5.5.
Do you know whether kindle-usbnetwork-0.23.N.zip and kindle-jailbreak-0.3.N.zip works with my Kindle?

Thanks

NiLuJe
10-06-2010, 02:39 PM
@vdp: Yes. _dxg packages.

neonerz
10-07-2010, 02:46 AM
I'll be trying this out on my K3 soon. One question though, I heard someone mention in the past the idea of making the screen saver the cover of the current book your reading (or the last book opened).

Instead of manually doing it by just uploading one pic to the linkss/screensaver folder, is there any way you could add a feature like that?

bartveld
10-07-2010, 04:00 AM
making the screen saver the cover of the current book your reading (or the last book opened).

Nice idea, but it should be optional, because quite a few of my books don't have a cover pic and then I prefer a picture from the screensaver dir.

fifth
10-07-2010, 04:57 AM
After ss got hacked, looked like I can't get those original screen savers back, where could I find it?

SunLight
10-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I have multiple images on my Kindle 3, when I turn off my device, I get one of the images, but it doesn't seem to be a real screensaver, meaning it only stays on that one image during the entire time the device is turned off.

Is this how it's supposed to work? If not, what could I be doing wrong?

I ask, because I am worried about burnin images.

suecsi
10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
see post #811 with NiLuJe's reply - no burn on e-ink, just a prompt to let you know it is asleep (rather than completely off).

NiLuJe
10-07-2010, 01:39 PM
@neonerz: Discussed this a bit in another thread: No, not easily.

zenob
10-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi NiLuJe, i've installed and configured usbNetwork, but i can connect to kindle via usb, only when my pc wifi connection is disabled. Is it possible to have both kindle connection and wifi internet at the same time ?

NiLuJe
10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
@zenob: I can't see why that wouldn't work. So I guess your issue stems from your OS, and I can't really do anything about that ;).

peachtreecreek
10-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi ,

thanks to everyone here that donates their time to improve the kindle experience for free!

a few months ago, i got the screensaver hack for kindle 2.5 & got it to work & display my hubby's artwork all by myself (but it did take awhile lol). today i got my kindle 3 & after uploading my current books, my next priority was to reaquire the screensavers i've grown to love, but something didn't work this time. i dont think i downloaded the correct bin file for k3, even tho i followed the directions on the first posting in this thread to the best of my ability. (the update kindle option stayed gray). i'm so sorry if this q has already been asked and answered, i did go through pages of posts, but all seemed to be about font hacks, which i hope to venture into later. any help greatly appriciated.

peach

daffy4u
10-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi ,

thanks to everyone here that donates their time to improve the kindle experience for free!

a few months ago, i got the screensaver hack for kindle 2.5 & got it to work & display my hubby's artwork all by myself (but it did take awhile lol). today i got my kindle 3 & after uploading my current books, my next priority was to reaquire the screensavers i've grown to love, but something didn't work this time. i dont think i downloaded the correct bin file for k3, even tho i followed the directions on the first posting in this thread to the best of my ability. (the update kindle option stayed gray). i'm so sorry if this q has already been asked and answered, i did go through pages of posts, but all seemed to be about font hacks, which i hope to venture into later. any help greatly appriciated.

peach

Try following the directions in the Kindle Visual Guide wiki here (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Screen_Saver_Hack_for_all_2.x_and_3.x_Kindl es). :)

vebaev
10-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi guys:)
I got a new graphite kindle DX free 3g with 2.5.5, so wich jelbreack and font jack to use ? DXG or DXI?

Thanks!

NiLuJe
10-07-2010, 07:48 PM
@peachtreecreek: Grayed out "Update Your Kindle" link means that you got the wrong .bin for your Kindle model. Check the S/N in the Settings page.

@vebaev: _dxg, of course.

kiat
10-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Bump ScreenSavers to v0.15.N:

* Properly detect the screen size instead of trying every size possible. (Avoid an useless mount).

It's just a bit cleaner that way, but other than that it doesn't change a thing, so you really don't need to upgrade ;).

Hi

For me to patch to the latest version of screensaver, do I need to uninstall the old version or does running the latest version does the work?

NiLuJe
10-07-2010, 09:28 PM
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING UPDATES:
Here are general update instructions for these hacks:

First of all, no need to touch the jailbreak again. You already installed it the first time you installed hacks. Just forget about it now ;).
Next, no need to run the update_*_uninstall.bin updates, ever. (except in some specific cases, like if you're updating from another font/ss hack [in which case you should use the original uninstaller for your hacks, and not the ones found here]).
Then, you can apply the latest update_*_install.bin updates, one by one. You can safely chain both hacks installs.
After that, to make sure everything's in order, do a full Restart of your Kindle ([HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart), and you'll be good to go ;). Note that in some cases, especially for minor updates, this restart is not strictly necessary, but better be safe than sorry ;).

So, no, you can install right on top.

floriano
10-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Awesome work! I'd like to apply the anti big brother changes on my K3, but when I type "mntroot rw" I get an error saying that mmcxxxp1 is a loop device and it can not be mounted to write.

Does anybody have the same problem?

NiLuJe
10-07-2010, 11:16 PM
@floriano: No. From where are you typing that?

floriano
10-08-2010, 07:39 AM
@floriano: No. From where are you typing that?

From my kindle. I connected to it via ssh.

NiLuJe
10-08-2010, 01:42 PM
df -h
cat /etc/mtab

peachtreecreek
10-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi

Thanks for the replies! I finally got the right bin file and update was no longer gray, but when I updated, twice, it said update failed. :( Anyone know why & what I can do about it. Sure hate those ugly screensavers I have to look at now! lol

peach

daffy4u
10-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi

Thanks for the replies! I finally got the right bin file and update was no longer gray, but when I updated, twice, it said update failed. :( Anyone know why & what I can do about it. Sure hate those ugly screensavers I have to look at now! lol

peach

Did you jailbreak it first?

floriano
10-08-2010, 06:50 PM
My problem is solved overnight. I don't know why, but now it just works as expected. Thanks for your efforts!

NiLuJe
10-08-2010, 07:59 PM
@peachtreecreek: Which update failed? The kailbreak or the ss hack?

@floriano: Yeah, that *did* sound very weird... ;).

Pushka
10-08-2010, 11:16 PM
I must have a really dodgy Kindle 3. I tried to use the font file as a simple update (root of the kindle etc etc), and now I cant get into my settings area - I want to do a factory reset and just have the screensavers and forget about the font. But I cant even get to the settings page. Is there any way to force a factory reset. I have done two hard restarts using the sleep button. Everything else works but cannot get to the settings pages. Sigh.

daffy4u
10-08-2010, 11:24 PM
I must have a really dodgy Kindle 3. I tried to use the font file as a simple update (root of the kindle etc etc), and now I cant get into my settings area - I want to do a factory reset and just have the screensavers and forget about the font. But I cant even get to the settings page. Is there any way to force a factory reset. I have done two hard restarts using the sleep button. Everything else works but cannot get to the settings pages. Sigh.

The following instrutions are for resetting the Kindle after a password it lost but it looks to be the same as a factory reset since all content is deleted and the Kindle has to be re-registered.

Remember to use the shift button for uppercase letters, and use the Symbol key to insert numbers and other characters. If you cannot remember the password for your Kindle, you can reset your password to regain access. Resetting your password will delete all content on your Kindle and you'll need to register your Kindle again from the Settings screen before downloading items from your Kindle Library on Amazon.com.

To reset your Kindle if you don't have the password:

1. Slide and release the power switch on the top of Kindle to turn on the device or exit sleep mode.
2. Enter "resetmykindle" in the password field and press the enter key on the key pad.
3. Wait several minutes while your Kindle restarts.

Pushka
10-08-2010, 11:31 PM
:thanks: Daffy4u! I did that and it set it to factory settings. Seems like you and I got temperamental Kindle 3's!
I found this post on mobile reads:
If you find yourself lost with the KindleDX (like losing your password and cannot access your KindleDX at all) try wiping it to the factory default. Just like you got it when you bought it from the store, but before doing so always make sure you backup your books and files before resetting it to the factory default settings. To reset and completely wipe your Kindle 2nd DX, you must do the following:

1. Slide the power button over to the right for 15 seconds,
2. let go of the power button,
3. Immediately press and hold down the "Home" button until it restarts.
Then entered reset and it worked.

Came up with some stern looking stuff though, as in recovery mode etc etc.

daffy4u
10-08-2010, 11:33 PM
:thanks: Daffy4u! I did that and it set it to factory settings. Seems like you and I got temperamental Kindle 3's!

Mine is working fine, I was just looking for info to help you. :)

Pushka
10-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Oh, ok then, thankyou for that - I thought I had read somewhere you were having some problems too. Just reloading the kindle up again now and not worrying about the fonts this time.

daffy4u
10-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Oh, ok then, thankyou for that - I thought I had read somewhere you were having some problems too. Just reloading the kindle up again now and not worrying about the fonts this time.

You're right, I did have problems but it wasn't with the Kindle. It was with the Fontin font files. NiLuJe did some magic to them and I was able to use them. :)

agricolae
10-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Where is the link to down load the screen saver hack for Kindle 3?

NiLuJe
10-09-2010, 02:06 AM
@Pushka: Huh. That's *very* weird, but it does kinda explain why you had trouble with the Droid_Sans font set, because the font used in the Settings page with the default set *is* Droid Sans! But that does seem to pinpoint the issue to a very specific font file, that for some reason your Kindle's software really can't handle...

I just checked, and it wasn't one of the fonts that I updated on the 22nd, so I'm certain that it worked on my K3 without problem... :S.

Still not a clue as to why it didn't work on your unit though... :(.

So, a bit more info about this, but I'm still stumped ;).

Pushka
10-09-2010, 03:10 AM
@Pushka: Huh. That's *very* weird, but it does kinda explain why you had trouble with the Droid_Sans font set, because the font used in the Settings page with the default set *is* Droid Sans! But that does seem to pinpoint the issue to a very specific font file, that for some reason your Kindle's software really can't handle...

I just checked, and it wasn't one of the fonts that I updated on the 22nd, so I'm certain that it worked on my K3 without problem... :S.

Still not a clue as to why it didn't work on your unit though... :(.

So, a bit more info about this, but I'm still stumped ;).

I think I have a sensitive, new age kindle! :o

The font hack worked fine on my husbands K3, and also the 'same' font worked on my K2 the night before. And I have hacked a lot of kindles in my time but I cannot get this one right. Maybe I have one of those kindles like tierstan? had - a development one or something.

NiLuJe
10-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Nope, that's really weird, if you somehow had a different set of software on your Kindle you wouldn't have been able to perform any of the two updates...

(And the factory test suite is another thing entierely, that's entirely *new* files, that shouldn't alter normal behaviour. And would have been deleted at the first reset to factory defaults anyway ;))

NiLuJe
10-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Bump USBNetwork to v0.24.N:

* Force htop to use a config file located in the userstore, to avoid it going poof on each reboot (because by default it creates one in ~, but that's in a tmpfs).
* Bundle a tweaked default htop config.
* Really make telnetd use a login shell instead of calling sh (we now have a proper shell environment via telnet, like via ssh).

NiLuJe
10-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Also attached to the first post, a tarball with the htop/dropbear patches, and a glorified terminal history dump of the cross-compiling of all that stuff, for those enclined. (With a full toolchain built via crosstool-ng).

Like I said, it's a glorified shell history dump, so it's a bit messy, pretty specific to my setup, and, more to the point, it pretty much depends on running Gentoo/at least having a portage tree on hand, because I'm using gentoo patches.

It'll mostly be of interest to the curiouser of you, and those wishing to painlessly build a fairly up to date cross-compiling toolchain for the Kindle that'll handle both static & dynamic binaries. (Right now, gcc 4.4.3, binutils 2.20.1, glibc 2.9)

montalex
10-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks so much, all who worked on font and screen saver hacks! As a 60 year-old used to the look of print on paper, it gives me great pleasure to see the new font on my Kindle2i. That, along with reduced margins, makes it more pleasurable to read my Kindle. And I was able to use photos of Venice and others as screen-savers.

Now all we need is a firmware upgrade to read epub on Kindle.

Thanks again!

the-equinoxe
10-11-2010, 04:28 AM
Thanks so much, all who worked on font and screen saver hacks! As a 60 year-old used to the look of print on paper, it gives me great pleasure to see the new font on my Kindle2i. That, along with reduced margins, makes it more pleasurable to read my Kindle. And I was able to use photos of Venice and others as screen-savers.

Now all we need is a firmware upgrade to read epub on Kindle.

Thanks again!

+1 on that epub reader.

bartveld
10-11-2010, 08:06 AM
+1 on that epub reader.

Why? Easily converted with Calibre.

montalex
10-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Of course, books that I purchase from B&N or Sony go through Calibre to get to my Kindle. What would be nice is if all vendors sold multiple formats, and one could register one's device with all vendors. I mean, why would Amazon not want to sell to owners of Sony Readers (a device that they sell)?

Also, with more and more libraries making books available in epub, a Kindle that reads epub would be great. This is obviously not in Amazon's interest, so I can see that they won't rush to upgrade firmware to read epub. But, as Duokan reads epub, it is only a matter of time before some smart guys make an update for reading epub on Kindle.

bartveld
10-11-2010, 01:26 PM
What would be nice is if all vendors sold multiple formats, and one could register one's device with all vendors.

True enough. It's quite surprising that a free books site like manybooks.net offers a plethora of formats for every book, while commercial enterprises still try to protect their wares.

Zerodime
10-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Well...could that be because the other bookstores want to sell books?
You said "Free book site" they don't want to sell the books so say can use as many (unprotectable) formats as they choose.
Amazon, B&N and such stuffs don'T want to have these books be copied all over the place.

bartveld
10-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Well...could that be because the other bookstores want to sell books?
You said "Free book site" they don't want to sell the books so say can use as many (unprotectable) formats as they choose.
Amazon, B&N and such stuffs don'T want to have these books be copied all over the place.

I wasn't suggesting that. They can still DRM their books in any format and so they should. It's just that manybooks.net have all these formats; it isn't that much trouble to convert them.

the-equinoxe
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Very true, but every step taken out of the process is making it more enjoyable.
Besides, It would be nice to download an epub directly to the kindle without having an PC or Mac handy..

But, as Duokan reads epub, it is only a matter of time before some smart guys make an update for reading epub on Kindle.

This duokan firmware, it looks very promissing. is it open source, or has the developer/have the developers the intention to translate it into English?

The duokan fora are entirely in Chinese, my knowledge of Chinese language is non-existent, and google translate is a bit quirky, hence my Qs here..

With kind regards,

EqX

kiat
10-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi

would like to ask why do we want to hack the fonts? Does the new fonts looks better?

montalex
10-11-2010, 10:45 PM
This duokan firmware, it looks very promissing. is it open source, or has the developer/have the developers the intention to translate it into English?

The duokan fora are entirely in Chinese, my knowledge of Chinese language is non-existent, and google translate is a bit quirky, hence my Qs here..

With kind regards,

EqX

Duokan thread here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83201

bartveld
10-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Hi

would like to ask why do we want to hack the fonts? Does the new fonts looks better?

It's only a matter of taste, I suppose. Many people will read the standard font and be perfectly happy. But I'm rather particular about the font I look at and so this hack is a godsend. If you're happy with the fonts you have, don't hack.

kiat
10-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi

I justed tried to hacked the K3 to to the fonts. But after applying the fonts patch i'm getting a blank screen. If I press on the menu button i can see the menu items. Other than that no go.

I've tried to uninstall the patch not successful. It throws the following error message
Update error: 3

My info
K3 wireless version
FW: 3.02
Hack: update_fonts_3.9N_k3w_install.bin

Please help to convert my new bricked k3 to a K3

jozicka
10-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I had similiar issue - I have replaced files in font directory by one of the fonts pack (any) and restarted.

After restart it was working fine.. And I was happy again..

kiat
10-12-2010, 09:55 AM
I had similiar issue - I have replaced files in font directory by one of the fonts pack (any) and restarted.

After restart it was working fine.. And I was happy again..

I did a brute force way. force a factory reset

SuperMario24
10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I apologize if this question was already answered, but I've gone through so many pages and haven't seen an adequate answer.

I successfully installed the screensaver hack and added my own images to the linkss/screensavers folder. I also added a blank file named "random" to the linkss folder and everytime I reset my Kindle, I see a different image - great :), no more dead authors.

My question is the following: Are the custom images supposed to change automatically during sleep, or will the single random image stay on the screen until you wake-up and consequently shut the kindle off again?

If so, is there any danger of the image "burning in" to the Kindle screen if I leave it unattended for a few days/week?

Any help would be greatly and sincerely appreciated. :thanks:

(I have a Kindle 3-3G, by the way)

daffy4u
10-12-2010, 12:42 PM
I apologize if this question was already answered, but I've gone through so many pages and haven't seen an adequate answer.

I successfully installed the screensaver hack and added my own images to the linkss/screensavers folder. I also added a blank file named "random" to the linkss folder and everytime I reset my Kindle, I see a different image - great :), no more dead authors.

My question is the following: Are the custom images supposed to change automatically during sleep, or will the single random image stay on the screen until you wake-up and consequently shut the kindle off again?

If so, is there any danger of the image "burning in" to the Kindle screen if I leave it unattended for a few days/week?

Any help would be greatly and sincerely appreciated. :thanks:

(I have a Kindle 3-3G, by the way)

Check posts 810 and 811. :)

ppw
10-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi

I hacked the fonts for the Chinese support. Kindle 3's official Chinese support is very disappointing. The majority of Chinese files are unreadable. The font hack has been a great gift to me. My gratitude to people who made this happen.

Dusty Star
10-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I did the font hack on k2 2.5.6...beautiful, dark clear font. I could easily read the menus without a magnify glass.

So...I did the font hack for the k3 3.0.2...trying a few of the fonts offered here...none begin to compare to the k2 as far as dark and clear. Still need the magnify glass to read menus. I'm crushed.

Where are the fonts that were offered previously for K2?

the-equinoxe
10-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Duokan thread here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83201

Cool,

Thanks!

Pushka
10-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi

I justed tried to hacked the K3 to to the fonts. But after applying the fonts patch i'm getting a blank screen. If I press on the menu button i can see the menu items. Other than that no go.

I've tried to uninstall the patch not successful. It throws the following error message
Update error: 3

My info
K3 wireless version
FW: 3.02
Hack: update_fonts_3.9N_k3w_install.bin

Please help to convert my new bricked k3 to a K3

This is exactly what happened to me too. There are some rogue kindles out there. By connecting the kindle to the PC I copied all the original fonts back into the fonts folder, restarted and that fixed it. I tried the font hack again, and this time I had to force a factory default. I am happy with the screensaver hack and leaving the fonts alone. Yet my other k3 and the K2 worked fine with the hack. It is random.

Pushka
10-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I did the font hack on k2 2.5.6...beautiful, dark clear font. I could easily read the menus without a magnify glass.

So...I did the font hack for the k3 3.0.2...trying a few of the fonts offered here...none begin to compare to the k2 as far as dark and clear. Still need the magnify glass to read menus. I'm crushed.

Where are the fonts that were offered previously for K2?

Somewhere buried in this thread is a file where the menu fonts are increased. I wanted this for my mother who is 'legally blind' and they worked for her.

Dusty Star
10-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Clarification please: What is FW 3.x

daffy4u
10-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Clarification please: What is FW 3.x

FW = Firmware
3x = 3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.0.2...

Dusty Star
10-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Ahhh...duh. Thank you

twister
10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
My K3 is jailbreaked and it has screen saver hack. Do I need to uninstall screen saver hack and uninstall jailbreak in order to install new firmware (3.0.2)? I assume that if I have to uninstall before updating to new firmware I can then reinstall jailbreak and screen saver hack after I update?

Thanks!

bartveld
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
My K3 is jailbreaked and it has screen saver hack. Do I need to uninstall screen saver hack and uninstall jailbreak in order to install new firmware (3.0.2)? I assume that if I have to uninstall before updating to new firmware I can then reinstall jailbreak and screen saver hack after I update?

Thanks!

No need to uninstall. Just install the update and everything will still work.

twister
10-13-2010, 01:28 PM
No need to uninstall. Just install the update and everything will still work.
Thank you!

cloudyvisions
10-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for taking the time to create and update these hacks for us. I just got my K3 this afternoon and the first thing I did was put both hacks on. The font hack took a bit longer to figure out which one I liked the best, but I LOVE not having the dead authors and I really like the new font I'm using, Museo (I had Helvetica before on my K2). So thanks for all the hard work, we all appreciate it! Now I'm off to read!

meem
10-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Sorry, But I don't understand how can I use my customized fonts ?

By replacing fonts in linkfonts/fonts folder with same name,
by editing linkfonts/fonts/bin/font.properties file
or there is some way else ?
You answered me before:
@meem: Technically, both. But for the sake of simplicity (and to avoid potentially messing things up), option 1 is preferred (switching the ttf files in linkfonts/fonts).

I just received my Kindle3, Thanks god.
I tried the simple method to Changing the reader font without a hack [K3] (http://mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1163274&postcount=53).. but it not worked.
Now I use a new release of hack for it.
But every time I try to change the font from file linkfonts/fonts/etc/font.properties as I did before with my Kindle DX, the file regenerated with the default values !

- So, which file I should edit now ?
- And why the Fonts hack became that more complicated ?

Update:
I used other way: rename my customized font and replace "Sans_*.ttf" and "Serif_*" files.
After that I got a balnk screen, even there are no screensavers when I lock/unlock device and after I restarted it two times.
I uninstalled the hack and I wait for answers to my questions. Thanks.

Dusty Star
10-15-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm still trying to install hack fonts. I had same issues as Pushka
Guru. Since I had to do factory reset 2-3 times...do I need to install the jailbreak bin again?

I really, really love the fonts hack for my K2 2.5.6. It's perfect...I'm determined to get my K3 fonts looking as great...if I don't end up bricking it first.

Thank you for all replies and previous help. You guys are simply priceless, for vision impaired readers.

ll Legion ll
10-15-2010, 10:04 AM
First of all, thank you so much for these hacks! You don't know how happy I've been to have custom screensavers on my K3.

My question: I'm giving K3's to my parents for Christmas, (just arrived yesterday), and I'd like to install these hacks prior to gifting them. Neither K3 will be registered prior to gift day... Will the hacks all work ok on a non-registered kindle?

Other than not allowing collections, I'm not all that sure what restrictions result from an unregistered Kindle.

Thanks!

pashlit
10-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Hello there,
I installed the jailbreak and the fonts hack. I dont quite like the fonts in the hack package and think Amazons's default fonts looked very good. The only reason I installed the hack is to make my DXG read books in Russian language. So is there a descent font that could preserve original Kindle's fonts look and provide me with Unicode (Cyrillic) support? Basically what I really need to do is just leave the look of original fonts for rendering the books and add support for Cyrillic fonts. If anybody could explain in details if it is possible it will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

SuperMario24
10-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Check posts 810 and 811. :)

Thanks, Daffy4U =]. You put my worries to rest.

NiLuJe
10-15-2010, 02:47 PM
@meem: It's as simple as ever, you're just trying to complicate things yourself, read the docs... There is *no* file to edit... (Unless you really know what you're doing, which you clearly don't, so please forget about editing files...).

@Dusty Star: No, you don't need to reinstall anything, a factory reset doesn't remove the hacks, it just clears the userstore. (And, as a sidenote, you really *don't* have to do a factory reset when your K3 barfs on some fonts, just switch them, or disable the hack [by renaming the linkfonts/auto file], and restart).

With which font set are you having issues? (I doubt I'll be able to do anything about that, given that I can't reproduce any of these issues on my device, but still, it'd be good to know ;)).

@Legion: No idea, but I don't *think* that the Update link is disabled on unregistered devices, so you shouldn't have any issue ;).

@pashlit: You can't (easily, that is, you'd have to edit the default Caecilia family to insert a full set of Cyrillic glyph into it...). (Note that this would be way easier to do on FW 3.x, because the Cyrillic glyphs are pulled from another font entierely).

Dusty Star
10-15-2010, 05:14 PM
NiLuJe, Thank You for replying.

The fonts I have tried and won't work on my K3 3g/Wi-Fi are the Big/Big125/Big150. Each install gives me a reboot up to point of boy under tree and stalls. At that point, I plug USB cable back in and re-install backup fonts from original set.

I really had hoped to benefit from one of these fonts for easier menu/book title reading as I need to use magnify glass otherwise.

Far as reading books...I am okay using the 6th size (from left to right).

Dusty

NiLuJe
10-15-2010, 05:33 PM
@Dusty Star: Well, yep, can't reproduce it. >_<".

I'll try to re-do them as CFF OTF over the weekend, they'll at least look better on K3 devices for those without fussy Kindles... ;). And hopefully they'll work on those fussy Kindles :).

Dusty Star
10-15-2010, 05:54 PM
@NiLuJe: I would be absolutely thrilled if you can work it out.

I am curious, when you say: can't reproduce it. Why not? As in you mean, you can't install on your device? Why?

Do you know if anyone else able to installed the big fonts? If not, trust me...you'll make a lot of low-vision readers extremely grateful.

Until I hear from you next time...I'll patiently wait, hoping you'll have the solution for me.

Thanks,
Dusty

NiLuJe
10-15-2010, 06:09 PM
@Dusty Star: I meant that they work fine on my device ;).

Pushka
10-15-2010, 10:47 PM
@NiLuJe: I would be absolutely thrilled if you can work it out.
I am curious, when you say: can't reproduce it. Why not? As in you mean, you can't install on your device? Why?
Dusty

@Dusty Star: I meant that they work fine on my device ;).

It is like when you take your car for service because something is going wrong, but not all the time. And of course it performs beautifully when you try to demonstrate in front of the mechanic. :smack: But within 10 minutes of driving away, it plays up again.

I think you and I have very sensitive new-age kindles Dusty!:chinscratch:

NiLuJe
10-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, and it's even worse than that, because, when it happens on your Kindle, it's *not* random, it's every time, and it's only with specific font files that, apparently, work fine for a number of other people... :/.

Dusty Star
10-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Pushka Guru: "I think you and I have very sensitive new-age kindles Dusty!"

Hmm and here I thought it was an old-age thing...LOL

Meanwhile, the big fonts works great, on my K2g...so I KNOW the fonts do work...just not on my K3. Not yet anyway...

BTW...Pushka Guru, we never "needed to do a factory default/reset" when staring at the dreaded blank screen or stalled reboot. When that happens, plug in USB cable and drop backup fonts back in font folder and restart. No panic of bricking our Kindles necessary. Learning more as I go along here.

Grandma suppose to read, to the grand kids, not learning how to hack devices. LOL

NiLuJe
10-16-2010, 12:44 AM
@Dusty Star: I'll work on the fonts over the wek-end, that'll at least make them sharper on a K3, and that should eliminate the need to have different font packages for the K3, because they'll still render the same on a K2 (provided the framework doesn't give up on CFF fonts on the K2...). (Because FT's autohinter doesn't care much how the font is natively hinted).

Dusty Star
10-16-2010, 03:34 AM
What I find disturbing...Amazon knew prior to K3, there were many complaints regarding the menu text were just too small and too light. They could of just as easily corrected this for the K3.

Look how bold and dark all the Kindle messages are on the K3 is...such as "Please wait while your device update" (something along that line). Easy to read, even with my low vision.

Viewing the big 150 font on my K2...the text just barely runs off the edge of the screen. So there is definitely plenty of room to expand the menus text up to that point, as well bold/darker. I did not try the Big or Big 125 fonts on the K2..but know that would be a great enhancement, for many who reads their Kindle books just fine, but struggle to read the menus.

And had Amazon developers done that...NiLuJe wouldn't be tying up his week-end reworking this for me. Given that...just what would you be doing instead, NiLuJe? (probably working on someone else hack issues...so my issues is taking NiLuJe time away from others who needs his help too.

But all said and done, I'm grateful for this board and all the team effort to putting the hacks together. I love my screensaver photos of my precious beautiful grandchildren. I also made the photos into a 'book' to show as an album, turn pages like a book to see each photo, rather then putting sleep mode on and off in order to show off all the photos at one time.

That alone...is priceless to me. Thank You

NiLuJe
10-16-2010, 02:29 PM
They did add the 'Voice Guide' feature to somewhat address that issue ;).

Granted, it's not exactly the same thing, but it does enable accessibility to a wider audience than just bigger fonts.

[Ahmed]
10-16-2010, 06:17 PM
I'd love to have a customizeable homescreen. Smaller fonts and less space between lines would work well for my eyes... And allow easier organisation of collections :/

NiLuJe
10-16-2010, 06:29 PM
@[Ahmed]: That's not doable without hacking the java framework itself.

Dusty Star
10-16-2010, 06:43 PM
They did add the 'Voice Guide' feature to somewhat address that issue ;).

Granted, it's not exactly the same thing, but it does enable accessibility to a wider audience than just bigger fonts.

Ahh yes...very good point, indeed. I agree, that is probably the answer for most. In my case, obviously a minority...hearing loss prevents me from making out the speech, even using a headset.

JohnsonZA
10-17-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm trying to restore the Sans family of fonts back to the default K3 fonts as I prefer them, but I'm stuck on how to do this.

Do I just delete the Sans_*.ttf files or must I edit the local.conf file?

NiLuJe
10-17-2010, 04:52 PM
@JohnsonZA: No, you'll have to rename the Helvetica family from the backups folder to replace the Sans_* custom family.

dAhc
10-17-2010, 09:50 PM
hello, I hope you can help me with my problem

about 3 weeks ago I installed the screen saver hack and it worked perfectly, but then I uninstalled it (jailbreak and the ss hack) because I thought it woud cause trouble if I installed the kindle update and just to be sure I reset it to factory defaults

then I installed the kindle update but when I did the hack again it didn't work
I installed jailbreak first then the ss hack and apparently it worked because I got the niluje screen saver but when I put my own pictures and put the kindle to sleep the screen looked blank no screen saver :(

NiLuJe
10-18-2010, 12:25 AM
@dAhc: You need to restart the framework (or your Kindle) to take new images into account.

NiLuJe
10-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Bump USBNetwork to v0.25.N

* Make the warnings in the config file & doc even more prominent
* Do some minimal user input sanitization after loading the config, to try not to mess up things too much with a completely trashed or slightly messed up config file. And throw a huge fuss in the syslogs if need be.

Sir Alex
10-18-2010, 10:20 AM
@NiLuJe,

Where I can find any information how to make K3 updates? I just made Russian translation and want to make updates for all users...

gehusi
10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
After installing the screen saver and font hacks, everything worked great. Lately however, if I leave my K3 in screen saver mode for more than an hour the screen will freeze and I am forced to do a restart. When it is in this frozen state the battery seems to drain very quickly as well.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else come across this issue?

NiLuJe
10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
@Sir Alex: Check the original packager thread, the packager's help output, and any of the src folder of my packages. There's really not much to tell, it's pretty self explanatory.

@gehusi: There seems to be a few reports of Kindle locking up during suspend. AFAICT, it's an issue with the original hardware/software, because you seem to be the first to report this with a non-vanilla Kindle.

gehusi
10-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Might uninstalling the jailbreak and hacks reverse the problem or is the damage done?

bartveld
10-18-2010, 04:08 PM
@gehusi: There seems to be a few reports of Kindle locking up during suspend. AFAICT, it's an issue with the original hardware/software, because you seem to be the first to report this with a non-vanilla Kindle.

I agree. Left mine on inadvertently all through the night, but no problem waking it in the morning. So uninstalling will still leave you wth the problem and that has not been caused by the jailbreak or the hack. You might uninstall, return it and claim a new one.

NiLuJe
10-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Just a quick warning: The 3.0.3 update *breaks* the jailbreak method. So, if you intend to ever use any hack, jailbreak your kindle *before* doing the 3.0.3 update!

Also, usbnet users, I'll be posting an update very soon to workaround the 3.0.3 update. In order to make the hack work again, either do the usbnet update before installing 3.0.3, or reinstall usbnet after having installed the 3.0.3 update.

flandroid
10-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Just a quick warning: The 3.0.3 update *breaks* the jailbreak method. So, if you intend to ever use any hack, jailbreak your kindle *before* doing the 3.0.3 update!

Whoa. But it's fine if you're already jailbroken? How does that work?

NiLuJe
10-18-2010, 05:26 PM
It fixed the install exploit (that had already been fixed the same way a while ago for the K2).

Bump USBNet to v0.26.N:

* Make sure the usbNetwork private command symlink is up at the end of the boot, in case of a nasty update like the 3.0.3 ;).

(Note to SSH over WiFi users: There's been some iptables changes in this update, so I'd like some feedback on that for those making heavy use of this ;))

flandroid
10-18-2010, 05:30 PM
It fixed the install exploit (that had already been fixed the ame way a while ago for the K2).

Okay, and a workaround was developed in the K2's case, so maybe there're good odds on a post-3.0.3 jailbreak?

Just asking because I have friends who are considering ordering Kindles and weren't particularly fond of the stock screensavers. :)

NiLuJe
10-18-2010, 05:33 PM
There's been other changes to the update script that prevents the same kind of workaround used in the K2 case, so, for now, no.

Also, just to make it clear: If you already had jailbroken your Kindle, it's still jailbroken after the 3.0.3 update, and all your hacks still work. The only thing broken is the *install* of the jailbreak on a *vanilla* 3.0.3 Kindle.

NiLuJe
10-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Bump USBNetwork to v0.27.N:

* Drop some useless code added in the v0.26.N update. (namely, we don't need to use mntroot, we're already in a rwfs state until the end of the boot, which, conveniently, is right after we finish running (ie. the previous behaviour wasn't harmful)).

Tvangeste
10-19-2010, 04:04 AM
(Note to SSH over WiFi users: There's been some iptables changes in this update, so I'd like some feedback on that for those making heavy use of this ;))
Works like a charm here (0.27N), thank you very much!

Pushka
10-19-2010, 04:33 AM
There's been other changes to the update script that prevents the same kind of workaround used in the K2 case, so, for now, no.

Also, just to make it clear: If you already had jailbroken your Kindle, it's still jailbroken after the 3.0.3 update, and all your hacks still work. The only thing broken is the *install* of the jailbreak on a *vanilla* 3.0.3 Kindle.

Hm, I just ordered a white 3G model to be delivered to the Hotel I am staying at in the US next week. Hoping it has 'old' software on it. Might just take the jailbreak with me!

NiLuJe
10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
@Pushka: Well, if it is shipped with 3.0.3, I'll release the new jailbreak (or it will already have been released), so, no worry ;).

SierraLimaOscar
10-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi!

New guy here. Joined because of the info I found in this thread. Major props to everybody who has contributed.

I just got my brand new Kindle3 today it's a 3G international (I'm in Europe) but the serial number starts with B006!?

Aren't those supposed to be the serial numbers for US versions?

Anyway I'll be patiently waiting for the new jailbreak version for 3.03, because the original screen savers are driving me nuts.

daffy4u
10-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi!

New guy here. Joined because of the info I found in this thread. Major props to everybody who has contributed.

I just got my brand new Kindle3 today it's a 3G international (I'm in Europe) but the serial number starts with B006!?

Aren't that supposed to be the serial numbers for US versions?

Anyway I'll be patiently waiting for the new jailbreak version for 3.03, because the original screen savers are driving me nuts.

Welcome to MobileRead SierraLimaOscar! That is strange that you didn't receive a Kindle starting with B00A. :chinscratch:

Nevertheless, did you new Kindle arrive with firmware 3.0.3? If it came with with an earlier version of the 3.x firmware, you can use the current jailbreak before the new update is updated (manually or OTA). :)

NiLuJe
10-19-2010, 04:25 PM
@SierraLimaOscar: Yeah, it depends on your main country, or possibly the alignment of the stars when you checkout, because I've got a B006 in Europe too ;).

Same question as daffy4u, though: Was it shipped with 3.0.3 installed from the start?

Tiersten
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah. What model Kindle 3G+WiFi you get depends on your country. It will use AT&T in the US and countries which Amazon have a better roaming deal for AT&T. It will use Vodafone in the UK and countries which they've got a better deal etc...

SierraLimaOscar
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
@daffy4u and NiLuJe
Yes shipped with 3.0.3.

@Tiersten
That explains it. In my country (Slovenia) it roams on Vodafone's competitor network.

NiLuJe
10-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, as soon as I'm not on the phone anymore, I'll post the updated jb :).

SierraLimaOscar
10-19-2010, 05:45 PM
:)

No problem, take your time. I'm a patient man.

SierraLimaOscar
10-19-2010, 05:46 PM
So is it posted yet?

SierraLimaOscar
10-19-2010, 05:46 PM
How about now?

:p

NiLuJe
10-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Bump JailBreak to v0.4.N

* Works on FW 3.0.3
* NOTE: Unlike previous iterations, the update process should *succeed* :).

SierraLimaOscar
10-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Success!!!

I only jailbreaked it to use the custom screen savers, so I can't confirm that the fonts hack works. But the ss looks fine :D

BTW my Kindle now says it's version 3.0.2

Many thanks!

Rinzwind
10-19-2010, 06:52 PM
" LATEST UPDATES: 10/19/10
JailBreak v0.4.N. Works on FW 3.0.3 "

:iloveyou:

Going to try it now *O*

edit1: update succesful.
Kindle is rebooting now *O*
edit2: fonts hack... succes *O*

I love having my Kindle having Linux

edit3: it rebooted and now my kindle has a pure white screen with just the top bar :(
I seem to have done something wrong :(

NiLuJe
10-19-2010, 06:55 PM
@SierraLimaOscar: Er, that probably mans it *already* was on 3.0.2 :D.

SierraLimaOscar
10-19-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.funnypictureblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

NiLuJe
10-19-2010, 07:43 PM
@Rinzwind: Join the club of the fussy Kindles (cf. the few reports along this thread). No idea why some of them don't like some fonts.... Bottom line: switch the fonts, and restart.

Natrulyhi
10-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Okay, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but don't know what. When I click on the link for jailbreak_0.4.N and save it, it asks if I want to open the file. I click yes and my computer goes crazy trying to open the file in IE. Apparently the file is saving as an Internet Explorer file and not an actual computer file. Does that make sense? I've tried saving it several times but it always saves the same way.

NiLuJe
10-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Probably IE doing some crazy IE stuff, like trying to decompress the file in-browser... >_<".

I can't tell you anything else than 'Use another browser/computer', because I don't use IE.

EDIT: Or not. See daffy4u's reply ;).

daffy4u
10-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Okay, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but don't know what. When I click on the link for jailbreak_0.4.N and save it, it asks if I want to open the file. I click yes and my computer goes crazy trying to open the file in IE. Apparently the file is saving as an Internet Explorer file and not an actual computer file. Does that make sense? I've tried saving it several times but it always saves the same way.

I think the problem is that you are clicking "yes" to open the file. You don't want to open it, just save it.

NiLuJe
10-20-2010, 12:44 AM
Er, yeah, that's probably more likely than my crazy 'I-hate-IE' rant ^^.

Pushka
10-20-2010, 01:44 AM
I think the problem is that you are clicking "yes" to open the file. You don't want to open it, just save it.

Er, yeah, that's probably more likely than my crazy 'I-hate-IE' rant ^^.
:rofl:

Now I know never to mention IE. Just as well I like Firefox too.
I wonder if the white 3G I am getting will like your fonts better than my graphite one does?

Rinzwind
10-20-2010, 02:03 AM
@Rinzwind: Join the club of the fussy Kindles (cf. the few reports along this thread). No idea why some of them don't like some fonts.... Bottom line: switch the fonts, and restart.

I did!
Straight after I got the white screen I looked around, found no answer and mounted it, remove the fontsdir and did a "turn it off for 20 sec". I got my screen back WITH the books still on it and it worked again.

Resets O+

jailbreak hack is installed so I am all good for now ;)
I will figure out the fonts tonight or so!

JohnsonZA
10-20-2010, 05:28 AM
I have a strange situation after upgrading to usbnetwork 0.27N.

With K3_WIFI="true" and K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="true" in the config file, I could not connect via wifi and got a connection refused error. I changed the config file so that K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="false" and restarted the kindle. Usbnetworking started fine and I was able to ssh in over usb, but the kindle screen showed that it was in usb drive mode, which is strange since it usually would show the normal kindle interface in usbnetwork mode. I unplugged the usb cable to see if that would fix it, but it remained in usb drive mode, but now it said it wasn't charging! I had to reboot the kindle with the usb cable unplugged to get back to the normal interface.

Do you think that changing the point at which the usbnetwork script is run on boot has caused this change? Any one else experiencing this? Connecting using ssh over wifi also only seems to work once I've sshed over usb. Weird! It used to work fine before upgrading.

dengpeng
10-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks, 3.0.3 works fine.

rogerinnyc
10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
NiLuJe,

Thanks as always for helping out us non-programmers with such a quick release of a JB for 3.0.3. Myself, I didn't need it, as I was already jailbroken on 3.0.2 before upgrading, but it's great to keep the tools current. And it's nice to know that I can factory reset if I need to without losing my JB.

Separate, but related, question. Is it within the realm of possibility to create a simple file explorer for the K3? I like to change screensavers often (I rotate book jackets of the title(s) I'm currently reading), and it would be a thrill to be able to do it on the device itself (i.e., cutting and moving my .jpeg files between a backup and the main screensavers folder), instead of having to have a computer to connect to first by USB.

I suspect you would have already done it if it were easy, but I thought I'd ask!

(and still hoping someone will compile a Georgia2 font that works on the K3 :))

pxwu
10-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi,

Thanks.
I tried the JB and Screensaver on K3 with FW3.03. They are working.
Only one thing I wonder if I can change. Now K3 takes a longer time to turn into Screensaver mode than the original setup, and in screensaver mode, it takes very long time or never load in new image. Can I speed these up somehow? Thanks!

Dusty Star
10-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi,

Thanks.
I tried the JB and Screensaver on K3 with FW3.03. They are working.
Only one thing I wonder if I can change. Now K3 takes a longer time to turn into Screensaver mode than the original setup, and in screensaver mode, it takes very long time or never load in new image. Can I speed these up somehow? Thanks!

I have K3 3g/wi-fi 3.0.3 white screensaver hack

Works great, have added/deleted photos at whim. Have about 20 photos in the folder with random file. Different photo comes up each time I put Kindle to sleep. No hesitation/delays...immediately screensaver image comes up.

Vandy
10-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Hello, All.

As one completely new to the Kindle 3 (just got one for my birthday on 7 October) but learning quickly, how "safe" is it to use the various hacks I've seen within this thread.

Am I in jeopardy of voiding my warranty if I use them?

Is ther any "harm" that can be done to my Kindle?

Am I just being paranoid?

I'm not new to using hacks (in most of their variousl forms and functions) but am leering about using them on my Kindle without knowing the risks.

I also own a 3rd generation iPod Touch but have never jailbroke it for the same reasons stated above.

Looking forward to your replies.

Regards,

Vandy :bookworm:

NiLuJe
10-20-2010, 02:28 PM
@JohnsonZA: Check your logs, and check your config, the new user input sanitization code might have switched one of the settings to default. I've had pretty weird things happen when booting the Kindle with the USB cord plugged, so you might want to avoid doing that, too ;). (What version did you update from, and what FW version are your running?)

@rogerinnyc: A factory reset doesn't remove the jailbreak, anyway ;).
As for a file explorer, like adq said in the kif thread, it's not (easily) doable with the default KDK, so, not that easy, no. (And completely out of my skillset either way, KDK or standalone app). But, hey, you could always use midnight commander over SSH ;)

@pxwu: The image *doesn't* change while sleeping, even with a vanilla Kindle. It's one image per sleep cycle. As for the timing issue, you might want to check the format & size of your images (exact size of the screen, PNG, greyscale, pre-dithered down to 16 shades of gray will work best, and be the fastest to load).

@Vandy: Everything here (except for the usbnet hack) should be pretty safe. On the K3, you might want to avoid the fonts hack if you're not sure, that's the only one that *might* be a little unpredictable. As for the warranty, it's a bit muddy, but they've publicly said some time ago that they didn't really object to (at least) the ss/fonts hack, but YMMV.

valex
10-20-2010, 11:37 PM
I have usbNetwork 0.24 and 3.0.2 fw. I only use ssh over wifi. Should I upgrade the usbNetwork to 0.27 first and then install 3.0.3? Do I need to uninstall 0.24 before upgrading?
Thanks

NiLuJe
10-21-2010, 12:17 AM
@valex: You'll either have to update usbnet now, or update usbnet after the 3.0.3 update, because it'll kill the /test dir needed for the usbnet hack, and the only version that makes sure that it's still there at boot is >=0.27.N.

(Technically, it'll only kill the ~usbNetwork pivate command, so if you're using ssh only + wifi + autoboot, you won't see a thing, until the day you try to kill sshd via ~usbNetwork ;))

babyd
10-21-2010, 02:25 AM
when I asked Amazon about the warranty status with the new hacks, they told me that I was voiding my Terms of Service and so the warranty would be affected too. I am hoping they change their mind soon and announce as they did with the older hacks that its okay. :(

Pushka
10-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Well, I had to return a defective K3 a couple of weeks ago and the hacks were not even mentioned.

Stonecold
10-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Since it didn't seem to be clear for everyone where to find the updated hacks for the 2.5.x updates (at the time), I took it upon myself to make this (hopefully) clean & clear post about it! (And a bit long, I know... Sorry :p)

First things first, a huge thanks to the original creators/updaters of these hacks, all the people who, at some point, worked on these hacks, and some of the pioneers! In no particular order:

clarknova (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=963004&postcount=2) for the first 2.5.x jailbreak & screensavers hacks
porkupan (http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11259) for one of the first bind mount based fonts hack
kukyakya (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87995) for the usb watchdog & update-safe tweaks (https://redmine.kukyakya.pe.kr/projects/customfont/wiki/Customfont)
jyavenard (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63225) for the packager
tedsan (https://sites.google.com/a/etccreations.com/kdesignworks/Home/font-install-files) & blogkindle (http://blogkindle.com/unicode-fonts-hack/) for their fonts hack
igorsk (http://igorsk.blogspot.com/), ebs (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49350) & Jesse Vincent (http://blog.fsck.com/) for all they did to make this possible!
<snip - lengthy quote edited by moderation>
What does the "Kindle dummy" hack do?

babyd
10-21-2010, 04:30 AM
I doubt they would ask, but I was just answering a question someone posed, and as I had asked Amazon about this I thought best to say what I was told. If they ever take action on this is very doubtful, but you should at least know about the 'official' line on it. Im not sure if they will check returns now, looking for the evidence of it, way too time consuming probably, so it will likely be fine to use the ss hack :) I just wish they would acknowledge it as they did with the first ss hack and allow it but not support it. These hacks have been carefully done by skilled people who know what they are doing, so at least say its okay to use it........

bartveld
10-21-2010, 07:00 AM
I propose we all raise our glass tonight to NiLuJe, not only for the nice hacks he put together, but also for his patience in answering all our questions and requests!

Pushka
10-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Stonecold, could you maybe edit your quote:chinscratch:

NiLuJe
10-21-2010, 02:15 PM
@Stonecold: Yep, please edit the quote.

The dummy hack, is, as it says right on the cover, a dummy test custom update file, which was used during debugging of the hack. (ie. basically it logs the state of the Kindle during the update process to make sure the hack have been properly shut down).

Jeton
10-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Stonecold, could you maybe edit your quote:chinscratch:

I agree.

Rinzwind
10-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I propose we all raise our glass tonight to NiLuJe, not only for the nice hacks he put together, but also for his patience in answering all our questions and requests!

I just did! I got my usbhack installed with a 10 step guide where step 8,9 and 10 are windows based and I figured out steps 8 and more I needed because I use Ubuntu and it worked w/o a single hitch *O*

NiLuJe you rock hard!!

And I agree; please remove the quote, Stonecold.

clotilde
10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks a lot NiLuJe for sharing all of this.

I've just jailbroken my Kindle 3 Wifi and installed the screensaver hack, but I can't get it to work and I'm hoping someone can help.

Here's the deal: the default you_can_delete_me.png screensaver displays without any problem, so I take it this means the hack is successfully installed, but none of my other screensaver images display, and if I remove the default screensaver image, then the screen goes blank when the device is sleeping (though even that is better than the spooky dead writer portraits).

The images I'm trying to use are .png 8-bit greyscale 600x800px images that I've edited with Photoshop.

I've also tried using the Halloween set (http://booksprung.com/free-screens) I found on Booksprung and can't get those to work either.

Is there anything specific about the image files, perhaps the format or size, that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance, I'll be grateful for any insight you can share!

Clotilde.

Rinzwind
10-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Mine works (and I installed the screensaver hack an hour ago).

I currently have this image as a screensaver:

http://www.kawapaper.com/d/3177-3/Kawapaper_Death-Note_0000041_1024x768.jpg

Try and use that image w/o altering it. If it does not work something is wrong with the install. If that does work your images are not correct (probably size?).
This might help with finding the cause of the problem :)

NiLuJe
10-21-2010, 05:26 PM
@clotilde: Greyscale PNG should be fine. I usually dither them down to 16 shades of gray, but then save them in grayscale. Just don't forget you'll have to restart the framework/device for new images to be taken into account.

jetfin
10-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Have been trying to update my 3.02 to 3.03 manually but it constantly fails even after I removed all my hacks (jb, ss & usb).

The only non-original thing on my k3 at this point is Duokan (oct 16 version) -could that be causing the problem? I don't know chinese, but from google translate i understood that Duokan does not prevent Kindle FW updates...

I'm assuming "reset to factory defaults" will not help me here, but what about recovery menu options?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

clotilde
10-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your quick replies, Rinzwind and NiLuJe.

I've tried Rinzwind's image file and it doesn't work either. I do shut down and restart the device every time I make a change to the screensaver folder, and I'm able to verify that the contents of that folder is indeed refreshed when I delete the default screensaver (then I have no screensaver) or copy it back again (then the default screensaver is back).

Here's the strange thing I've discovered: if I take one of my image files and rename it to 00_you_can_delete_me.png, then I am able to transfer it to the screensaver folder, reboot, and have it be my new screensaver.

In short, it looks like the device will only accept that specific filename as a valid screensaver file. (Note: I am using the Kindle 3 Wifi.)

Is there a way to uninstall the hack so I can try installing it again? I've tried using the update_ss_0.15.N_k3w_uninstall.bin and running it like the install file, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Many thanks!

NiLuJe
10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
@jetfin: No idea about duokan, but check the logs (;dumpMessages) to find which file(s) fail the checksum checks.

@clotilde: The hack doesn't change anything as to how/what file name/types the Kindle handles...

Just to make sure, what are you exactly doing when you 'shut down and restart the device'? Because I'm talking about a full restart (ie. Settings => Restart, not just flicking the power switch off & on) or a framework restart via the autoreboot feature of the hack.

jetfin
10-21-2010, 08:04 PM
@NiLuJe: Thanks for the tip!

101021:235835 system: I otaup:def:processing update /mnt/base-us/system/update.2348/06/update-06-529960105-536720111.bin
101021:235835 system: I otaup:def:version is "FC02"
101021:235836 system: I otaup:def:update image checksum OK
101021:235836 system: I otaup:def:drawing: eips 36 38 "stage 1 of 2"
101021:235837 system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
101021:235837 ota_install: I def:patch:tune2fs=0:disable autocheck success
101021:235838 ota_install: I def:patch:patchinfo="/bin/busybox":patching file
101021:235838 ota_install: I def:patch:patchinfo="/etc/epoch.txt":patching file
101021:235838 ota_install: I def:patch:patchinfo="/etc/init.d/filesystems":patching file
101021:235838 ota_install: I def:patch:patchinfo="/etc/prettyversion.txt":patching file
101021:235838 ota_install: I def:patch:patchinfo="/etc/sysconfig/iptables":patching file
101021:235838 ota_install: C def:patch:patchinfo="/etc/sysconfig/iptables":checksum failure
101021:235838 ota_install: I def:patch:current_md5=319c76b5985baeaf1f64ec9f8eb5 95be,expected_md5=c5854fe5414a78ae2e14f35386228ea8 ,patch_md5=5ac917d7987d5a0e218fcf04cf5adb9c:checks um verify
101021:235842 system: E otaup:def:image update failed

So it looks like it's iptables? -pretty sure i did not edit it....

So now i need to get iptables back to it's virgin 3.02 state....

Anybody have an original k3g (B006) 3.02 iptables?

update: had a copy of my root fs and just checked iptables and it looks identical to the one i have now... -i definitely never touched it...

jetfin
10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
just verified that md5 of iptables from my fs copy is same as one that failed the checksum...

Now what?!

NiLuJe
10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
The 'current_md5' md5sum in the logfile is the md5sum *after* bspatch (when the patch fails because of a checksum mismatch, it's probably the same checksum as *before*, though, AFAIR, bspatch gives up on a checksum error).
'expected_md5' is the correct md5sum of the patched file (ie. at v3.0.3)
'patch_md5' the md5sum of the patchfile.

The correct md5sum of this file from a vanilla 3.0.2 install is actually
de56a93374824125a600e3f8bbb08957

(You can confirm this with a grep etc/sysconfig/iptables /test/diags/factory/rootfs_md5_list)

Check this post (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1174200&postcount=64) for a working file from a vanilla 3.0.2 dump.

So, yeah, it does look like your file has been modified ;).

jetfin
10-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Merci mon ami!

Updated successfully to 3.03!

-I'll be making a LOT more backups often after this...

Balerion
10-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi all,

just thought I'd provide the shortcut I use to copy paste and rename the autoreboot file into reboot, all with just a single click (win7) or a double-click (XP, Vista).

Just do the following (on your desktop or wherever).

1) RIGHT-click an empty space, and go to NEW ---> SHORTCUT

2) In the target location box type the following...

(Windows Installation Hard Drive Letter):\Windows\System32\cmd.exe[single-space]/c[single-space]copy[single-space][kindle drive letter]:\linkfonts\autoreboot[single-space][kindle drive letter]:\linkfonts\reboot

Example:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c copy D:\linkfonts\autoreboot D:\linkfonts\reboot

NOTE... make sure you put [forward-slash]c just before the copy command and not a backslash, or you can just copy and paste the above, replacing the D with your Kindle's drive letter :)

3) click NEXT, name your new shortcut and click FINISH. tada!

4) change the icon if you want by RIGHT-clicking your shortcut, going to PROPERTIES, select CHANGE ICON, browse and select a new icon, OK, APPLY it, OK... you're done.

Now the application of the reboot file is just a double-click away or a single-click if you have win7 (pin to taskbar) or an app launcher\dock program like rocketdock or objectdock.

Just repeat the process for the screensaver but replace linkfonts with linkss

I also found a tiny app to eject the Kindle in the same way... just a single-click or double-click, rather than the OPEN EXPLORER, RIGHT-CLICK Kindle drive letter and select EJECT method... here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103467)

Hope that's useful to some people :)

clotilde
10-22-2010, 03:57 AM
Thank you NiLuJe -- the full restart was the problem, it works perfectly now. As a new Kindle user, I didn't know about the Settings > Restart function, and was merely turning it off and on again.

If I may make a suggestion, perhaps this is something you could add to the instructions to clarify for other new users?

Thanks again for the hacks, and for the prompt and helpful replies!

Clotilde.

daffy4u
10-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Thank you NiLuJe -- the full restart was the problem, it works perfectly now. As a new Kindle user, I didn't know about the Settings > Restart function, and was merely turning it off and on again.

If I may make a suggestion, perhaps this is something you could add to the instructions to clarify for other new users?

Thanks again for the hacks, and for the prompt and helpful replies!

Clotilde.

There are instructions for this in the Visual Kindle Guide wiki which is also linked in the first post. The wiki has step by step instructions with pictures for both the Screensaver and Font hacks.

NiLuJe, maybe you could make that link more prominent. :)

clotilde
10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
And actually, re-reading the original post now, I realize that NiLuJe had spelled out the full Settings > Restart instructions in the jailbreaking section -- I simply missed it. There's a lot of info in there! :)

TallMomof2
10-22-2010, 03:29 PM
I updated to 3.03 first and then applied the jailbreak and the ss hack. Worked perfectly, many thanks!

Calleja
10-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey! I love the screensavers hack! I'm having an issue, though, and I tried searching the thread for it in case it was already answered but 65 pages seemed a bit much O_O

I'm not getting a random sequence. I've created the blank "random" file in the linkss folder in my Kindle 2, but I still get the exact same sequence of screensavers on every boot.. even a boot created by the "reboot" blank file technique. Any ideas?

NiLuJe
10-22-2010, 08:11 PM
@Calleja: Check the filenames of your images, if they haven't been changed to N_X (Where N is a 5-digit number, and X the usual filename), then you messed up the 'random' file ;).

It'll only be randomized during a full boot (or after an update) though, *NOT* when doing a framework restart (ie. the 'reboot' file), that'll just reset the list to the beginning.

Calleja
10-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh.. how do I do a full boot then? The file names are not being changed, no.

What did I mess up? I just copy pasted one of the other blank files, renamed it to "random" and left it there, exactly as I do with the reboot one and it always works.:blink:

NiLuJe
10-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Settings => [MENU] => "Restart"

gehusi
10-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately I had to reset my K3 to the factory settings. It was basically unusable with the screensaver freezes and battery drains I experienced since jailbreaking and installing the hacks. I don't know for certain if the jailbreak was responsible, but I will report back after further use if the issue continues (meaning the jailbreak had nothing to do with it). If all seems well however, I don't see any other explanation for the problems I was experiencing. Stay tuned...

Calleja
10-23-2010, 03:43 AM
Settings => [MENU] => "Restart"

Awesome, that worked like a charm.. the screens are definitely randomized now... thanks! Appreciate your hard work and patience on these hacks.

RexGalore
10-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Unfortunately I had to reset my K3 to the factory settings. It was basically unusable with the screensaver freezes and battery drains I experienced since jailbreaking and installing the hacks. I don't know for certain if the jailbreak was responsible, but I will report back after further use if the issue continues (meaning the jailbreak had nothing to do with it). If all seems well however, I don't see any other explanation for the problems I was experiencing. Stay tuned...

A question to you gehusi: Are you using the original Amazon Kindle case? If so that could be the cause of your problems. It was for me!

Turns out they had some bad batches of those cases and they cause the Kindle to freeze and the battery drained very fast. The new Kindle has some ports in the holes that the case attaches to, for feeding power to the case with lamp and one seems to be a diagnostics port. The case somehow shorts these out or something similar.

So if you have a case try without that one!

vladm
10-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi,

I've just installed jailbreak on my kindle 3g and as far as I understand (I'm new to this whole thing), installing usbnet will give me ability to connect to my kindle via ssh and provide some basic unix shell commands.

My question is - will it provide me with shell right on the kindle screen? Basically, I want to be able to use kindle as ssh _client_ and be able to connect from it to other servers.

thanks!

-- vlad

Rinzwind
10-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi,

I've just installed jailbreak on my kindle 3g and as far as I understand (I'm new to this whole thing), installing usbnet will give me ability to connect to my kindle via ssh and provide some basic unix shell commands.

My question is - will it provide me with shell right on the kindle screen? Basically, I want to be able to use kindle as ssh _client_ and be able to connect from it to other servers.

thanks!

-- vlad

Well sort of; you will not get a command prompt and have to do it all from the text input box.

There is an ~exec command that you can use to launch scripts on the Kindle and you can use the "launchpad" script (see elsewhere in this forum on MR.com) to create shortcuts from the Kindle keyboard. So to use the Kindle as a client would require you to ~exec a script that lets you connect to all those servers and you can assign that to "shift x" on the HOME page.

NiLuJe
10-23-2010, 02:24 PM
@vladm: Not really, no, there is no terminal emulator on the Kindle.

The exec private command, once active, is just that, a very, very, very primitive non-interactive exec() call with minor output feedback.

vladm
10-23-2010, 04:02 PM
The exec private command, once active, is just that, a very, very, very primitive non-interactive exec() call with minor output feedback.

I see. what a pity - Kindle could be a great tool for traveling unix admins otherwise :)

tjulisen
10-23-2010, 06:38 PM
I installed the hacks and Chinese can be perfectly displayed on my kindle 3 right now. However, most Chinese txt files cannot be opened. The weirdest thing is some files could be opened in the beginning, then after you read a few pages, then a message which reads 'the file cannot be opened' shows up, and you cannot open that file any more.

Anyone can help me with this problem? Thanks.

flamshun
10-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Merci mon ami!

Updated successfully to 3.03!

-I'll be making a LOT more backups often after this...

hey jetfin,

Just want to know what is the correct way to back up the files. In the kindle disk when connected to USB, I 've only got "documents", "Music" and "audio" folder". Can anyone give me a hint what I should backup before I make any modification to my orignal kidnle 3G. I'm currently using original kindle 3G 3.0.2 B00A unjailbreak and planning to jailbreak with 3.0.3 and install chinese duokan. How should I start? Thanks~

NiLuJe
10-23-2010, 07:35 PM
@flamshun: jetfin's case is a bit particular, he was using usbnetwork, and messed with the system rootfs without taking note/making backups relating to his changes.

Most users should only bother with backuping their documents folder & collections (system/collections.json).

The jb/ss/fonts hack from this thread *do NOT* make any potentially problematic changes to the system rootfs, so there's no need for more involved backups.

Stonecold
10-23-2010, 09:08 PM

This may sound like a stupid question, but what's a "vanilla" Kindle?

buzzhd
10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
--where can I find nice screensaver files? after JB, my folder shows only one made by NiLuJe along with default ones in backup folder?

--how can I switch between different fonts?

Thanks.

Stonecold
10-23-2010, 09:20 PM
You can find some really nice custom Kindle screensavers on my blog (http://youngprofessor.wordpress.com/). Just find the post called "Custom Kindle screensavers" or something in the "Technology" catagory. Right-click on the picture(s) that you want and press "Save as". The images are 600*800 custom-dithered 4-bit greyscale GIF images.

NiLuJe
10-23-2010, 10:33 PM
@Stonecold: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_software

@buzzhd:

* There's also a huuuuuge thread over on KindleBoards.

* You did read the first post, did you?

Stonecold
10-23-2010, 10:38 PM
So a vanilla Kindle is sort of like a Kindle that still has its virginity? ;)

Pushka
10-24-2010, 12:07 AM
So a vanilla Kindle is sort of like a Kindle that still has its virginity? ;)

That would be right. :thumbsup:

buzzhd
10-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Thank you, guys

Stonecold
10-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Did you use any of the Kindle pictures from my blog?

NiLuJe
10-24-2010, 12:23 AM
@Stonecold: If you're talking to me, then no. Everything that's been posted by me, has, well, been posted by myself from my own shots ;). I can't speak for others, though.

buzzhd
10-24-2010, 12:30 AM
pictures are pretty small, though they look nice

Stonecold
10-24-2010, 12:54 AM
What pictures are pretty small?

buzzhd
10-24-2010, 02:11 AM
What pictures are pretty small?

well, downloaded some pics from your blog and installed onto Kindle. Pictures show so tiny that I had to press Q to enlarge it. don't know why?

Rinzwind
10-24-2010, 02:35 AM
--where can I find nice screensaver files? after JB, my folder shows only one made by NiLuJe along with default ones in backup folder?

Thanks.
Google images. Search for exactly 600 x 800.

Like this:
http://www.google.nl/images?q=fantasy&hl=nl&biw=1333&bih=773&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1,isz:ex,iszw:600,iszh:800&source=lnt

I have this one http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReMVVwOqTCyF4eWmmBdJU4zG78HwVyt XK4YLKBGCmMN0mX8UI&t=1&usg=__vrnpoA2rMif5FIrcJJ8_BPUtgQY=

and this one
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjnBhxYWwuqmeXwL-huBRFQ6ATHKm8M6I_ToWOmI3gexjy0K4&t=1&usg=__aabY_GBjPupd6C_bwOfcpqYpSEA=

Though the last one is a bit too dark the first one looks amazing.

Search for anything different like "fantasy" that you like :)

Oh and color images seem to look best (better then b/w) but you need to find images with some contrast. Otherwise you need to open up gimp (or another image manipulation software) to change it.

Stonecold
10-24-2010, 03:49 AM
well, downloaded some pics from your blog and installed onto Kindle. Pictures show so tiny that I had to press Q to enlarge it. don't know why?
Then you did it wrong. You have to click on the pictures to enlarge them and then right-click and press "Save as", otherwise, you're just downloading thumbnails!