Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
UntreedReads
Addict
UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Exclamation "White Spaces Are Required"...PLEASE HELP!

I'm hoping somebody out there can give us an answer.

We've been running all of our current HTML through eCub and/or Calibre to create ePub files. We're actually getting less compiling errors through eCub, but the one error we are consistently getting from both is the following:

"White spaces are required between publicId and systemId."

I've been able to resolve all other issues EXCEPT this one, and Google searches aren't providing me with a solution. From what I can tell, there's a problem SOMEWHERE in the following string:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

What I don't know is WHERE in that string the problem lies. Can anyone solve this? The ONLY thing keeping us from passing epubcheck (and thus allowing us to distribute in some new retail outlets) at this point is the above problem.

Thanks,
Jay Hartman
Editor-In-Chief
Untreed Reads Publishing
http://www.untreedreads.com
UntreedReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntreedReads View Post

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
HTML 4.0????

That's your problem right there.

ePubs must be in xhtml, which is stricter than html, though it's quite similar.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
UntreedReads
Addict
UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UntreedReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm doing a save in HTML format from OpenOffice, and all of our titles start out in DOC. Is there something else I should be saving them as for import into either Calibre or eCub?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I'm doing a save in HTML format from OpenOffice, and all of our titles start out in DOC. Is there something else I should be saving them as for import into either Calibre or eCub?
HTML from Open Office is fine for calibre. That's what i do a lot of the time.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
UntreedReads
Addict

Unfortunately, HTML to Calibre is generating ePub but failing epubcheck due to the error message I've given. In my case, the file HAS to pass epubcheck.
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
UntreedReads
Addict

OK, so just realized there's an export as xhtml function from OpenOffice, but that'still generated a new error message. Here's the new line of code:

<!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd">

And here's the new error message:

Unresolved external XML entity 'http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd'

Talk about frustrating!

Jay

Last edited by UntreedReads; 06-18-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Try to find some way to disable the MathML thing.

If you can't, since I don't think you are using any MathML code anyway, it could be enough to just change te DOCTYPE line to the correct:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
The markup below is guaranteed to work with the W3C markup validation service and with ePubcheck.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">

You might like to consider removing whatever you have now, and replacing it with the above - and then running the file through the W3C markup service anyway.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
all of our titles start out in DOC
If you don't want to spend time familiarising yourself with all the issues involved in creating an epub I seriously recommend you just invest the $35 needed to get a copy of Atlantis and use that. Conversion tools like calibre and ecub are not a good choice as they're dependent on being fed with well-formed input.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
UntreedReads
Addict

Jellby and AlexBell: I now officially have mad love for both of you. Changing the lines worked PERFECTLY. All my error messages are now clear. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

And Charleski, I will definitely take a look at Atlantis. Your input, too, is very much appreciated.

Jay
Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Jellby and AlexBell: I now officially have mad love for both of you. Changing the lines worked PERFECTLY. All my error messages are now clear. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

And Charleski, I will definitely take a look at Atlantis. Your input, too, is very much appreciated.

Jay
You're very welcome. Lots of people have helped me with my queries, and it's a real pleasure to be able to help someone else.

I too like Atlantis as a word processor, but as I have some web site design experience I prefer to make my own HTML.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
ocoffey
ocoffey began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm signing on because I appreciate this discussion.
Interesting how often the web has people who just want to help each other.
re: Ecub EPUB book validation:
I find that my e-pub book of '.txt' files - made by the E-cub programme -are accepted by Three Press validation. Not by E-Cub validation though.
I avoid HTML because I cannot make them acceptable to either validation service.
Yet Gutenburg e-books are accepted all round????
Am I lucky, or shouldd I expect this?
Many thanks
ocoffey
ocoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
charleski
Wizard

The epubcheck program supported by Threepress is the closest we have to an 'official' validation system, though it's not free from bugs. If it passes on the latest version (1.05) then I wouldn't worry about any complaints from ecub.