View Full Version : Fileopen DRM for PDF circumvented

tetrachroma
06-13-2010, 10:08 AM
More information on my blog

http://tetrachroma.wordpress.com

owl123
06-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Thank you! Finally I'll be able to *buy* and read some stuff that was unusable for me before.

EpS
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Used ineptpdf8.4.48 for PDF-file with Adobe LiveCycle Policy (Adobe.APS[adbe.pdrl.v0]) 128-bit security v.4 protection without password or key file input. Got the error: Cannot find principal key for this pdf. Does anyone know the solution?

tetrachroma
11-19-2010, 07:33 AM
You need a principalkey for every publisher (which you can sniff out of the network connection). Check out the information in the comments on my blog.

globus999
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
You need a principalkey for every publisher (which you can sniff out of the network connection). Check out the information in the comments on my blog.

Hi,
As I am not a person with a medium (or a low) know-how with regards to Apache, I am stuck without a principal key. However, what I can do is to run a sniffer such a WireShark. Using this method, would I be able to pick-up the PrincipalKey from the logs? Or will the key be encrypted itself? I am asking since I have dawsonera books but no key Ö ;-/ Thank you kindly.

Lost1
12-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Yesterday I've successfully decrypted several PDFs encrypted with Policy Server.
I obtained the PDFs from our online library.
First ineptkey couldn't find the key, but after installing ADE ineptkey automatically found one although ADE couldn't load the PDFs.
Today I wanted to decrypt other PDFs from the same online library, but it doesn't work anymore. I get the message "Offlinekey cannot be decrypted".
I'll try to sniff the PrincipalKey with Wireshark. Maybe I can find it.
Thanks for your scripts!
They worked great yesterday for me!

tetrachroma
12-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Yesterday I've successfully decrypted several PDFs encrypted with Policy Server.
First ineptkey couldn't find the key, but after installing ADE ineptkey automatically found one although ADE couldn't load the PDFs.
Today I wanted to decrypt other PDFs from the same online library, but it doesn't work anymore. I get the message "Offlinekey cannot be decrypted".
Thanks for your scripts!

Wireshark won't work (connection is encrypted). You have to setup an Apache + PHP Linux server as described in the blog's comments.

Anyway I suspect they haven't changed the PrincipalKey, just increased the MinorKeyRevision so that the PrincipalKey has to be transformed with the MKRevision (in a not yet known way).

Lost1
12-25-2010, 07:05 AM
I was afraid it won't work.
Tried it anyway. Unsuccessful as you said ;-)
Maybe I'll try to setup an apache server.
Thank you!

Lost1
12-29-2010, 01:58 PM
The new version is working again!
Thank you!

PDF XChange Viewer is complaining though that the document is broken:
http://i.imgur.com/dgi79.png

Didn't find any problems yet. Just resaved the document and the document is fine.

joblack
12-31-2010, 04:33 AM
Thanks for your scripts!

They updated the key

Exchange to the recent key in the script as described by Neisklar and Tetrachroma in

http://www.boerse.bz/boerse/dokumente/ebook-pub/453952-howto-adobe-aps-livecycle-drm-entfernen-2.html#post3804604

Lost1
12-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Thank you joblack!
I'm also following the thread there. Didn't test it yet, 'cause I have no new ebooks.
I wish everyone a happy new year!

MATRIX5000
01-25-2011, 04:10 AM
Helo
I used ineptpdf 8.4.50 to Decrypt file pdf. File was incomplete, missing a few pages. How this repair.

joblack
01-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Helo
I used ineptpdf 8.4.50 to Decrypt file pdf. File was incomplete, missing a few pages. How this repair.

This is a well known pdf parser problem. No immediate solution is available and as Tetrachroma (and others) explained a pdf format expert is probably needed to solve the problem.

knhoj18
02-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Hey, Iím having trouble. I have the 8.4.48, but I keep getting the "Pywin extention (win32API module) needed" error. Iíve already downloaded the Pywin32-214 stuff, but Iím not sure how to install it. I click on the setup icon in the Pywin 32-214 subfolders and something pops up like MSDOS but then disappears real quick. Iím sort of a rookie and hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. How do you install the Win32 stuff?

procedures i did = Phyton 2.7 installed > Pycrypto 2.1.win32-py2.7 installed > Pywin32-214 downloaded and extracted.

I hope you could help me on this thank you in advance!

orange99
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Hello. I am using 8.4.51 to try to remove DRM from a FileOpen pdf. I am simply getting:

Error: 'Error'

Enabling debug, in the debug file I see what looks like a bunch of variables and their values. Then a long settings url. Then Settings and Retval=answer. Then a 1st url and then a 1st preresult. I don't know if there is supposed to be more info or not. Anything I can do to troubleshoot some more?

orange99
02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Found and fixed the issue. Had to check for 'update', in addition to 'Update' and others, in the urlresult in two places. Thanks for your work!

farkjuanjake
03-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Tetrachroma thanks for banging out this script, you didn't want to have any fun anyway! Orange99 thanks for the timely debug.

Skillsoft decide to wrap their study guides in FileOpen DRM. Bad thing if you use an OS that Adobe, and therefore FileOpen, doesn't support! Here is the response I received on the issue. With your code working I have no need to wait on them any more.

I can only apologize for this. There’s a code signing issue with R9 and haven’t been able to determine whether the issue is in our code or Adobe’s. We had hoped to get it sorted out in the Reader X beta process. But Adobe decided not to create Reader X for Linux, so now we’re back to trying to make the plug-in work in 9. I have two engineers on the problem, hopefully it won’t fester much longer.

Best,

Sanford

Sanford Bingham President FileOpen Systems Inc. www.fileopen.com

Xenos
04-15-2011, 05:53 PM
I've just switched from a Sony eReader to a Kindle. I had a load of .epub files, which I converted (thanks!!). I've got one file which actually has a .pdf file extension. The method I used (Python scripts) doesn't work. Is there another way? TIA!

Xenos
04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Never mind, I found it, I needed the ineptpdf.pyw script from here,
[direct link to dedrm software removed]
Huge thanks to everyone that's helped to make these methods work :-D

ragnar
04-15-2011, 09:19 PM
hi guys,

I'm using ineptpdf 8.4.51 on a pdf with Fileopen protection and keep getting the Error: "Cannot find decryption key". I keep the PDF opened in Reader 9.4 when trying.

Any suggestions?

imax36581
04-26-2011, 04:39 PM
hi
i get "cannot find principle key error"
could some one give me a tutorial on how to fix it?
i saw some where that i should setup apache + .... but i can't find good English tutorial about it
is there any easier way to do that?
those PDF's are important to many,i think it will be good if we can fix this issue

imax36581
04-30-2011, 03:39 PM
hi
i get "cannot find principle key error"
could some one give me a tutorial on how to fix it?
i saw some where that i should setup apache + .... but i can't find good English tutorial about it
is there any easier way to do that?
those PDF's are important to many,i think it will be good if we can fix this issue

any updates??

redEye102
05-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Found and fixed the issue. Had to check for 'update', in addition to 'Update' and others, in the urlresult in two places. Thanks for your work!

Getting the same Error: "Error" message. What did you "update" to resolve this?

JeanDark
11-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Hi,

first of all the script works perfect.

But i have on question:

Do anybody notice it, when i remove the protection (PDF-File protected with File Open).

I ask, because the removing only works with internetconnection.

Thanks and kind regards.

pdurrant
12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Direct links to DeDRM software and explicit discussion of how to use DeDRM software is prohibited. Please do not discuss such topics on MobileRead.

DonJ
02-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Hi, I've been trying to use indeptpdf 8.4.51 to decrypt a FileOpen protected pdf but am getting the following error in the debug log:

2nd preresultRetVal=0&Reason=BadUserPwd

The user/pw used are 100% correct and I can open the pdf with acrobat reader. Any hints of what the issue could be/how to resolve this?

pdurrant
02-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi, I've been trying to use indeptpdf 8.4.51 to decrypt a FileOpen protected pdf but am getting the following error in the debug log:

2nd preresultRetVal=0&Reason=BadUserPwd

The user/pw used are 100% correct and I can open the pdf with acrobat reader. Any hints of what the issue could be/how to resolve this?

Explicit help on removing DRM is forbidden on the MobileRead Forums.

Thread Closed.
I suggest you ask wherever you found the ineptpdf script.