View Full Version : The red charging light

artificial
06-08-2010, 11:56 PM
I know there has been a lot of confusion/discussion/debate about how to tell when your kobo Reader is fully charged, and what exactly it means when the red light comes on during charging.

So here's what it says in the kobo user manual:

TIP: Plugging in your eReader to your computer or laptop‘s USB port will charge the eReader. The eReader‘s LED indicator light will turn red when fully charged.

I realise most people probably are aware of this, but a number of people have stated on this forum when the light turns red it indicates that the Kobo Reader is charging, and that the unit is only fully charged once the red light goes off. I've also seen stated elsewhere on the web that the unit is only charged when the red light "flickers".

So there you go.

Unless anyone can find documentation to the contrary, your unit is (suppposed to be) fully charged once the red light comes on. As many of us us know the red light comes on too early, or not at all, but that's another can of worms entirely!

anidel
06-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Well, not sure about that :(

Today I was leaving the office and while waiting for my colleagues to join me I tried to turn the Kobo on. It was dead. Came home and connected it to my computer...the red light came on.. weird I thought.
I also knew it was supposed to be off while charging.

Anyway.. I left it (and actually is still connected) charging for the whole evening (from 6:30pm circa to now [11:15pm]) and the red light went off an hour ago or so (the time to watch an episode of 24 we had on the computer).

Weird...

roguefan99
06-09-2010, 03:32 AM
I think everyones experience is different with this light. I have access to two kobos, and one of them the red light comes on when its charged, nothing happens when its charging. The other, the red light never comes on (unless when its starting up, and the blue light comes on just after it), even if I charge it over night (tried this twice). I can live with it because I tend to charge things often (and I have to plug it in to update Calibre Publications).

artificial
06-09-2010, 05:23 AM
My purpose with this post was to dispel any misinformation about what the red light it supposed to mean. The red light is not supposed to mean "charging", it is supposed to mean "charged".

I know the red light is incredibly faulty/quirky. Mine comes on after 10 minutes, well before the unit is charged.

Nevertheless, I thought that people who are experiencing battery problems ought to know how the red light is supposed to function, if it were functioning correctly.

If people want to dispute the documentation then go for it ;)

techie42
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
My red light stayed on after disconnecting from my computer yesterday. It did not go off until I powered it on/off twice.

Wierd.
?!?

urbanite
06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
I think they forgot to test the charging process when they were producing the unit. It's wonky. When I use an external charger (a BlackBerry one), the red light comes on after 10 minutes, and then turns off after about 3 hours. I assume that it's then charged (even though that's not what the manual says).

If I unplug the Kobo while the red light is still on, then it stays on until I cycle the power.

When I unplug the charger, I get the message that Kobo is "processing new content". Then all of my "unread" items in the "I'm reading" list --- these are subscriptions from Calibre --- get moved to my Books library. I've gotta get rid of those free 100 books, because it's a pain to find 5 different subscriptions sorted into the 120 books I now have!

I like the Kobo, but behaviour like this just leaves me shaking my head.
:shocked3:

mwlcarter
06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
I suspect the software developers had access to the specs and perhaps an emulator, but had very limited access to prototypes of the units to actually try their software on.

artificial
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I suspect the software developers had access to the specs and perhaps an emulator, but had very limited access to prototypes of the units to actually try their software on.

I hadn't thought about that but you're probably right. I was wondering to myself yesterday how it was possible to ship a product with so many bugs, especially when it is built on well established hardware (Netronix).

morpheusdreamin
01-28-2011, 12:18 AM
I have a new Kobo Wireless. It's been plugged in for two hours so far, and both the blue and red lights are on, giving a purple effect.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!!?!

Hehehe.

sabredog
01-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Still charging. The light goes fully blue once complete and it does take more than two hours if the battery is nearly discharged.

The age of the earlier posts indicates that they were discussing the original kobo with original firmware

SameerH
01-28-2011, 01:51 AM
I have a new Kobo Wireless. It's been plugged in for two hours so far, and both the blue and red lights are on, giving a purple effect.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!!?!

Hehehe.

It should explain on the screen of the eReader when it's plugged in to charge. Red/Violet while charging, blue when charged.

morpheusdreamin
01-28-2011, 02:58 AM
It should explain on the screen of the eReader when it's plugged in to charge. Red/Violet while charging, blue when charged.

It does not explain that anywhere I've seen. I tried searching, but nothing was clear. It's very hard to find any solid details.

The light is now blue, so I assume it's done.

Anthem
01-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Kobo Wi Fi:
Kobo eReader User Guide: "The status light turns blue when your eReader is fully charged."; " The light is red/violet when your eReader is charging. When the light turns blue your eReader is fully charged."

Kobo eReader Quick Start Guide: "Status Indicator Light: Red/violet indicates charging. Blue indicates full charge."

(Aren't you glad we aren't in the draconian original Kobo days anymore?)

Psyke
01-28-2011, 03:13 PM
It does not explain that anywhere I've seen. I tried searching, but nothing was clear. It's very hard to find any solid details.

On the screen, it very clearly states:

Connected...
Your ereader is charging.
It can take up to 3 hours
to charge, but you can disconnect at
any time. THE STATUS LIGHT WILL TURN
BLUE WHEN FULLY CHARGED.

It really can't be explained simpler than this; If there is any color other than just blue, then it is not finished charging.

lindaf
05-05-2011, 08:03 AM
I have charged my Kobo overnight, and this morning a red light was flashing. When I tried turning it on, nothing happens. The red light is now only flashing when I hold the power button, but the screen is completely blank.
Does anybody know what happened? Is my unit dead?

Asawi
05-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I'm guessing you tried charging it from your computer overnight? Does not work, unfortunately.
I would suggest you charge with one of those AC/USB plugs that are widely available.

(It seems that my laptop, for example, only sends power to the USB port "on demand", and a passive Kobo makes no such demands, so no power. It took me "forever" to charge it that way, even when the computer was active all the time and did not enter sleep mode.)

dmacmart
05-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Don't think I've seen anyone post this before - have you tried a paper clip reset?

lindaf
05-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I think Asawi found the "bobo". I have recharged it using an electrical outlet, and now it works fine. Thank you so much for your speedy reply.

The Terminator
05-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Well I haven't had any trouble charging it in the computer, but maybe your computer is different.

IcecreamLtDan
05-06-2011, 01:01 AM
It's not so much the computer being different but how windows power settings are set. For instance on my laptop, when it went to sleep it put the USB ports to sleep, but I was able to go into the advanced feature in windows power settings and change them to stay on as long as the computer is plugged in and now I have no problems leaving my kobo plugged into my laptop charging overnight. A lot of laptops, including my wifes' Toshiba, have usb ports that can be powered on with a button even when the laptop itself is shut off.

moffattm
05-06-2011, 01:57 AM
And it's not only the power settings within Windows that can affect your USB ports supplying power. My desktop computer supplies power through the USB ports even when the computer is turned off! Obviously the computer is still plugged into the power socket on the wall and is drawing some power, but it is shut down (i.e. I shut down Windows and not just put it into sleep or hibernate mode). I find this very handy because I can charge up things (including my mouse and Kobo) with the computer turned off.

cybmole
05-06-2011, 03:50 AM
My purpose with this post was to dispel any misinformation about what the red light it supposed to mean. The red light is not supposed to mean "charging", it is supposed to mean "charged".

If people want to dispute the documentation then go for it ;)

my documentation - the fold out paper guide that came with my Kobo -
says red= charging, blue = charged.

& that is also what I observe in action.

do you have a piece of paper that says something different ???

cybmole
05-06-2011, 03:53 AM
I'm guessing you tried charging it from your computer overnight? Does not work, unfortunately.

works for me, every time.

takes 3-4 hours from dead to full charge. And as the Kobo is sold without a mains lead I assume this is the correct way. Simply plug the usb lead which came with Kobo into my desktop PC & wait....

NB I am pretty sure that no power is delivered to USB in sleep mode. so don't plug into a laptop, then close the lid!

Asawi
05-06-2011, 05:24 AM
OK, so maybe I should have written "may" instead of "does". The posts between my first post and this one discuss the issue further,

dmacmart
05-06-2011, 10:32 AM
my documentation - the fold out paper guide that came with my Kobo -
says red= charging, blue = charged.

& that is also what I observe in action.

do you have a piece of paper that says something different ???

You are referring to a very old post (June 2010); the behaviour of the charging light changed with a release in summer 2010. The OP was probably correct for that version of the firmware.

NikThomps
07-04-2011, 04:05 PM

I know this is an older post, but just in case you are wondering where to find this information it is in the Manage Library option after you plug it in and it asks you "Read or Manage?" if you choose Manage Library you will get the message that it can take up to 3 hours but that the light will turn blue once charged. This is of course assuming you are using the wi-fi and not Gen 1 Kobo

p_a_smith
07-04-2011, 07:07 PM
I know this is an older post, but just in case you are wondering where to find this information it is in the Manage Library option after you plug it in and it asks you "Read or Manage?" if you choose Manage Library you will get the message that it can take up to 3 hours but that the light will turn blue once charged. This is of course assuming you are using the wi-fi and not Gen 1 Kobo

Works the same way on the Gen 1 with the latest update (1.8.x)

Abbey
07-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I have my kobo plugged in, the light is red/blue, there is nothing on the screen of my computer or the kobo indicating that it is charging, charged or to what degree it is charged.

Joe563
07-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I have my kobo plugged in, the light is red/blue, there is nothing on the screen of my computer or the kobo indicating that it is charging, charged or to what degree it is charged.

I am assuming that you have the original Kobo with at least the July 2010 firmware update. The LED indicator will turn blue when the reader is fully charged.