View Full Version : Pandigital Novel Now Selling at JC Penny

ColdSun
06-02-2010, 01:47 AM
OK this isn't a duplicate post heh! I've been looking for a place to buy the Pandigital Novel when it comes out. I guess the only online store it is currently available for pre-order at JC Penny. When you put it in your shopping cart it reveals the fact that the item is backordered and isn't expected until 6/23/2010. Just a heads up for people interested. Maybe other retailers will carry it soon? :D

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1925321&Ntt=novel&hdnOnGo=true&Ne=4+877+878+5+961+6+29+3+598+11+15+12+506+10+23+5 85+596+1031+8+18+904+903+840+969+949+833&submit+search.y=5&SearchString=novel&submit+search.x=32&N=4294959029&Nao=0&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=searchresults

EDIT: Forgot to mention it is selling for $249, which is $50 more than I thought it would sell for... Also, it might be a better investment for the aPad iRobot Android Tablet. You can find them all over eBay right now from $165 to over $200. It seems there is some active customization and a future Android 2.1 version of this device. I found info over on the great new site, SlateDroid (http://www.slatedroid.com/).

kenm
06-05-2010, 01:51 AM
It looks like it is available now at Kohl's

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455248926645 53&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping3&mr:trackingCode=093D9CC9-EA6F-DF11-BAA3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Frankr
06-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Anyone have the specs yet? How much RAM?

ColdSun
06-05-2010, 05:41 PM
The only specs I could find were from the FCC site. Here is what I pulled from the User Guide posted at the FCC:

Product Specs
7” Digital TFT LCD Display 600x800 pixels, 220 nits Black case

Compatible Media Sources
Secure Digital™ (SD), MMC

Features
Display digital printed media (eBooks, eMagazines, eNewspapers)
Play digital Audio files
Play digital Video files
Display digital Photo files
Alarm Clock and Calendar
Connect to Wi-Fi networks
Web – check your social networks, stocks or the weather
Send/Receive Email
Display and import directly from SD Card
Automatic rotation of screen orientation
Includes stylus for faster screen navigation
Earphone jack included
Tabletop stand included for convenient hands-free viewing

Compatible File Formats
eBooks
PDF, EPUB
Photo
JPG, JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF (non-animated)
Audio
MP3, WAV, AAC, OGG
Video
MPEG4

USB Ports
Mini USB 2.0

Internal Memory
1GB (rumored White version) , 2GB (rumored Black version)

Wi-Fi Compatible
Yes, built-in Wi-Fi adapter

3G Compatibility
1GB version (white) - rumored NO
2GB version (black) - rumored YES

Audio output
Built-in stereo speakers 2.5mm stereo earphone jack

Power Adapter
5V, 2A

Battery
Rechargeable Li-ion 2800mAh, 3.7V

1GB version should be shipping soon (within a week or two) if it isn't already shipping. Looks like the 2GB version will come out later this summer.

Sorry about the formatting, it was copy/pasted right from the user manual and I cleaned it up a little. Nothing about processor speed. I heard the device was getting an update in the near future that adds Android 2.1 and Market. That's just what one of the videos I found on YouTube stated.

FCC Page on the Pandigital Novel
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=933054&fcc_id=%27POTPRD07T

Video Preview 1 from Techlicious Media
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQbOBUP18A

Video Preview 2 from CNET
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLSv3yLutd0&feature=related

ColdSun
06-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Kenm,

Thanks so much for finding that! It is $50 cheaper than JCPenny. :) If anyone finds more places to pick this up post it here. This is my father's day present.

Another Spec Found: According to PCWorld, this device uses an ARM11 processor. It has a resistive screen (for this price I think that would be expected). According to the review, it was responded well to screen taps, although not as good as capacitive does.

There was also talk of the device supporting the AT&T Edge network. I'm not really sure what that will do for it, but there it is. There is no 3G in the device either.

I'm very interesting in the thing just for its base functionality, but if the future of the device is true, Android 2.1 and Market, well it could be a steal for the price. Its not going to outperform these Snapdragon processors though.

The initial release supports PDF, EPUB and HTML according to PCWorld.

tank4141
06-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Thought you guys might like this deal. I'm getting one on Wed. This is a hell of a device for that price.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2063286

tank4141
06-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Also found this on slatedroid

http://slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=649.0

All indications are that this version is the "entry" one that will be available dirt cheap at kmart, kohls, Bed Bath and Beyond (of all places) etc., but that they intend to release in July or August a black 2gb version that is 3g capable. As I understand it, when they release that one, they will firmware up to Android 2.2. I would have waited, but I'm impatient, and want an ereader anyway. With the 15% off coupon (kohls is ALWAYS having a sale, just google for a discount code and you'll find one online somewhere) and 2 gift cards, the price was ridiculously hard to turn down.

ColdSun
06-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks tank4141! I'm going to update the specs above.

DaleDe
06-05-2010, 09:01 PM
I have created a wiki page for this Pandigital Novel

imaredr
06-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Kenm,

Thanks so much for finding that! It is $50 cheaper than JCPenny. :) If anyone finds more places to pick this up post it here. This is my father's day present.

ColdSun,

Your best bet is to buy from Kohls. I received a flyer from them the other day. On Wednesday the 9th they ave a sale. The device will be $174.99, then there will be a mail in rebate for $15, making the final price $159.99. If you have one of the 20% coupons that come with the flyer, you can use that making the final cost about $125.99. I went to my local Kohls to see if they would have the device in store next week, but they were clueless and said that I should order online. My coupon is good for online and in store.
Hope that helps.

Ellen

Vixhen
06-06-2010, 06:13 PM
For those of you looking to buy this at Kohls, there is a 30% coupon code out now - SAVEINJUNE (effective 6/9-6/16/10) - got it in the mail on Friday. I'm getting this one too. It's too good of a deal to pass by. Happy reading!

ColdSun
06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks both of you! Me and my wife will be at the local Kohl's tomorrow to pick one up. They have them in stock but won't sell it to me until tomorrow.

ColdSun
06-06-2010, 07:42 PM
I just read over at The Digital Reader that this device isn't performing so well. Take a look at Nate The Great's first impressions before you buy it. I'm going to hold off until I see more information and read Nate's full review.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/06/06/pandigital-novel-first-impressions/

ColdSun
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I purchased a Novel this morning and I love it. Check my post in the e-Book Devices forum for my thoughts so far. I'm going to write a full review later this week.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86132

FizzyWater
06-09-2010, 02:15 AM
Jeez. The Kohl's page is gone already!

bookwurm70
06-09-2010, 06:58 AM
I ordered it from Kohls just after midnight Central time. Got the 30% off and free shipping. They said it should arrive by the 20th. Can't wait to see it and review it.

imaredr
06-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I had it in my saved basket. Good thing cause I noticed not only had the page disappeared, but the online ad paper no longer had the reader. I wonder why?

Ellen

Vixhen
06-09-2010, 10:05 AM
I guess that was the trick (saving Novel in my Kohl's cart) because I was able to order mine w/no problem. Amazing deal, though - $122.50 with 30% discount (before tax) - not to mention the extra $15 rebate! Can't wait to get it.

Noah98
06-09-2010, 10:51 AM
My local Kohls had two Pandigital Novels in stock yesterday. They were behind the customer service desk, and they were willing to sell me one for $259. Unfortunately, they would not price match the sale that was set to run today.

So, I sent my wonderful wife out to try to secure me one when the store opened at 8:00. When she got there, they still had two, but they were informed by the manufacturer that the units were defective and that they needed to pull them. They have no idea when they will be back in stock, but they put me first on the waiting list. I called another Kohls and they confirmed that all of the units shipped to Kohls were recalled as defective and they couldn't sell them.

I'm not sure if this relates to why they were taken off the website, but it makes sense. Perhaps Nate received one of the defective ones, and that is why his experience was so different from Coldsun's.

FriendOfEntropy
06-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I did exactly the same thing moments after midnight, and got the same results..estimated arrival on the 20th, 122.50 cost.

I couldn't find a rebate slip online at the manufacturer or at Kohls though..does anyone know where to get one...physical slip of paper at the store maybe?

If they cancel my order because of this "defective" issue that was just posted about, they'd better not charge me shipping on my undershirts and socks I ordered with it since they obviously don't add up to the free shipping minimum order limit.:D

I ordered it from Kohls just after midnight Central time. Got the 30% off and free shipping. They said it should arrive by the 20th. Can't wait to see it and review it.

ColdSun
06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Mine has been locking up quite a bit. The problems seem to lie with putting in an SD card and the reading application itself. I think it is a firmware issue, although I'm going to call Pandigital this morning and find out if this is a hardware defect and if I have to return it. I'll let you know. I love this thing other than the freezing it is doing.

ColdSun
06-09-2010, 12:07 PM
OK I just got off this phone with Pandigital tech support. I just LOVE the fact that I can talk to someone about this here in the US.

THIS IS NOT A RECALL! :) :)

Tech support told me they are simply pulling the units off the shelf at the stores and their technicians are going in and installing the latest firmware and then placing them back up for sale. So if you already have one, or have one coming in the mail, its just a matter of putting the firmware on the device. There is no hardware recall. Again, I got the sense that they are super serious about supporting this device.

jswinden
06-09-2010, 12:23 PM
OK I just got off this phone with Pandigital tech support. I just LOVE the fact that I can talk to someone about this here in the US.

THIS IS NOT A RECALL! :) :)

Tech support told me they are simply pulling the units off the shelf at the stores and their technicians are going in and installing the latest firmware and then placing them back up for sale. So if you already have one, or have one coming in the mail, its just a matter of putting the firmware on the device. There is no hardware recall. Again, I got the sense that they are super serious about supporting this device.

That sounds like a used car sales pitch to me. My local Kohls told me it was a packaging defect, which I don't believe. I'm reminded of the Cheech and Chong routine from the 1970s.

Chong in dope induced state, "Hey man that looks like pooh."

cheech replies, "Touch it and see, man."

"Hey man that feels like pooh."

"Smell it and see, man."

"Hey man that smells like pooh."

"Taste it and see, man."

"Hey man that tastes like pooh." With look of surprise, "Hey man that is pooh!"

Cheech laughing his backside off...

ColdSun
06-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Look Jack, I know you can be brutal sometimes, but I'm not pitching anything. I'm simply trying to help people who are interested.

imaredr
06-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Well, I ordered online this morning. I went to Kohl's to see if they were in stock and was told that the corporation won't let them sell the reader because it is "missing parts". What a crock. So I got the impression that they have them in the store since the manager told me that they are waiting to for higher up to tell them when they can release them.
I would like to know what the real deal is. I suspect it may have something to do with the rebate coupled with people using their 20-30% coupons. So does anyone know why they have removed the reader from the online store?

Ellen

ColdSun
06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm supposed to go into the store to do the refund on the difference for the sale price (with the discounts and coupons I had it down to $159). It will be interesting to see if they honor it like they said they would on Monday or insist I give the device back. :) I definately don't want to give it back, but I'm also NOT paying $259 for it heheh. I like it, but not THAT much.

mtnmedic
06-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Jack, it's not a used car sales-type pitch. It's been widely confirmed that the problem is these devices shipped before the firmware update could be applied. Happens all the time with laptop and high end phone releases. A Pandigital tech was at my local Kohls today doing the updates and I will be there to pick mine up in the afternoon. I have two friends that are very satisfied with their Novel readers after the update was applied.

Oh yeah- mine is $112 after all is said and done.

AnemicOak
06-11-2010, 09:04 AM
The price at JCPenney has dropped to $179.99 FWIW.

bookwurm70
06-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Just got an email from Kohls and they cancelled my order!!!!! Because of a software misfunction?!? Stupid Kohls, I can do the update.

mtnmedic
06-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Just got an email from Kohls and they cancelled my order!!!!! Because of a software misfunction?!? Stupid Kohls, I can do the update.

Ditto and ditto. I wrote back and let them have it.

SURE they'll give me a 15% discount if/when I place an order for the Novel later....when they'll be selling it at the regular price of $259. What a dirty trick. Yeah, I told them that, too.

FriendOfEntropy
06-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes, just got the same e-mail. I called their customer service, and even explained the e-mail to the barely-english-speaking rep, and even in the face of that, he kept insisting that it would arrive within 4-8 business days.

I am really actually a pretty meek person...I really hate getting worked up over anything, but I just sent the most agressive e-mail I've ever sent in reply to them.

I told them what the rep on the phone assured me, demanded they honor the post-30%-coupon 122.49 price in the future instead of just the 174.99.

I told them that in what way did honoring the sale price and offering 15% and free shipping help me when I already had free shipping and 30% off?

Also, how did that remedy me missing the manufacturer warrany (june 9-15 purchase requirement)?

I told them I guess I would talk to Pandigital directly and see if they would honor that rebate later to make up for Kohl's incompetence.

I used words like disingenous and ploy in talking about circumventing a sale price/coupon stack...always being clear that this cancellation smacked of the "appearance" of that instead of outright accusing them of it.

In the end, I told them as many of you said...that I could update the software myself, Pandigital did not recall these items..it was Kohls decision to temporarily remove them and cancel. So send it on as originally ordered and I'll update it myself.

Pretty disgusting. I'll have to find a new place to get cheap clothes.

mtnmedic
06-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah, it's a debacle, that's for sure.

I'm not happy with the fact that the local store wouldn't let me just buy one, even after I told them I am a computer repair technician who knows where to get the required update from and how to install it. A sale would've been made there and then. Sheesh.

But what's worse is the fact that they CANCELED my phone order rather than simply notify me of an additional delay. Most companies don't consider canceling an order until they discuss it with the customer first. Some customers are pretty patient. I can see canceling the order if they know for fact they're never again getting the product because it's been discontinued by the manufacturer. But they know they're selling the Novel when it's "ready". So what they did by canceling the already-placed order hints to me that they are trying to get out from under the sales price commitments made in the on-line and phone orders. I could be wrong, but it sure smells that way.

A few days after I'd placed my order over the phone, I called a Kohl's store (the nearest being an hour south of where I live) to see if they had any in stock. They had eight and put one on hold (rain check) for me because of the update situation. I've checked in a couple of times and still, they said, no Pandigital techs have come by to update the devices but that I would be notified as soon as they showed up. I would be getting it for 30% off signing up for a Kohl's card or 20% off without, plus a $5 gift discount card plus the $15 mail in rebate-which they said they would honor, regardless of the current submission time frame, given the current problem.

I'll be calling the store again tomorrow morning. Hopefully in the meantime Kohl's will respond favourably to my rather terse email response.

imaredr
06-14-2010, 08:51 AM
I didn't receive an email so I just finished looking at my order status. It still says "In Fulfillment" . What did change is when I will received it. Instead of by June 20, it says between the 15th and 21st.

Ellen

FriendOfEntropy
06-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Kudos to Kohls online customer service for the save after all the mess the company created at first.

I guess I can still get my khakis and underwear and socks there, lol.

They replied to my e-mail this morning and verified that the phone person was wrong as I knew, that the order really was being canceled as per the e-mail.

They addressed every point I had spelled out in my stern missive last night.

They said if I ordered it from them in the future and sent them the order number, they would adjust it to the 30% off sale price (122.49)......PLUS they said they'd give me an additional 15.00 credit since they were making me miss the manufacturer rebate.

Maybe I should be assertive more often. Sad to have to get angry to get folks to do the right thing.

Maybe there's a chance after all that this fiasco was due to clueless, large, uncoordinated bureaucracy rather than a conspiracy to avoid a sale and coupon stacking, lol.

jsamps0n
06-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Just visited my local Kohls and (consistent with what I'd gleaned from various posts and various sites) learned that they sent all their units back to Pandigital.

Got a raincheck for the sale price of $175 with promise to honor $15 rebate and 30% coupon as a Kohls cardholder.

No indication of what unit will be arriving later or when they will arrive. If they get the black 2GB units, it will be worth the wait!

mtnmedic
06-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Here's a post I made in another thread about the same topic/situation, essentially:

I spoke with the local store manager for a while this morning. I explained to him my frustrations, etc. regarding my rain check situation since last week, the repeated delays ("waiting for the Pandigital techs to come in and update the units we have in stock") and the canceled phone order. He assured me that they weren't trying to pull any fast ones but that they got caught in a supplier situation. He said what is happening at his store right now is they are returning the white 1GB units and will be getting the black 2GB units. They are expecting the shipment of the new units "any day now" this week. He said I would get one of those and that I could use the 20% discount coupon I have on hand or the 30% if I apply for a Kohl's card, the $5 gift card I got from Kohl's via email and he would also give me a "little extra discount" for my troubles. Plus, he not only will he honour the $15 rebate, he'll simply apply it to the sale there and then so that I wouldn't have to worry about mailing it in. He said he would call me the minute they come in, as the store is over an hour south of where I live (that's the closest one!). So, crossing my fingers it'll all work out this week.

dfadas
06-15-2010, 11:31 PM
I work for another retailer and we were told today that we would get the 2gb black version instead of the 1gb white. The 2gb will be at the $199 price where it was going to be $259. Ship dates were this week.

Dfadas

bookwurm70
06-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I work for another retailer and we were told today that we would get the 2gb black version instead of the 1gb white. The 2gb will be at the $199 price where it was going to be $259. Ship dates were this week.

Dfadas

Which retailer? I'd be happy to pay more for the 2 gb version in black.

Brie987
06-17-2010, 03:23 AM
I to got the email of cancellation from Kohls. They said they would honor the previous sale price should I reorder the Novel when it is re listed for sale. I actually want a device exactly like the Novel but wish it was ad-hoc able meaning I want to be able to tether it to my android phone. I have the Eken M001, which I am trying to sell (if anyone is interested) to buy this but since the cancellation I am also looking for a windows/linux 7 inch slate. So now I'm a bit confused, I want an eReader yet I want to be able to check my email and perhaps twitter if it has audio, audio books would be great to. So you can see the Novel, while on paper looks really perfect but I lose the tethering ability which I can forfeit I think.

MikeFromHC
06-17-2010, 10:55 PM

Be Happy and if you have a white unit, take it back.
Kohl's, at least will honor the price you paid and if you say anything about it will add another 15% discount to that. You will get the black unit and it differs in more than just having two Gb on board. It looks like there is a switch to turn wi-fi on and off as well as a volume button and a built in stylus. The
Black manual (http://tinyurl.com/28nj3wt) has details.

Vixhen
06-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys for the updates this is great news. I checked out the manual for the black 2gb version. It's looks great. I'm going to wait for the 2gb when it comes into to Kohls. I've got my guarantee (in email form) that they will honor the previous price with the 30% and free shipping.

dfadas
06-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Bed Bath and Beyond. The units should ship next week. I also heard that we will have a 6" e ink version too.

bookwurm70
06-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Well, if I can get the black unit from Kohls for the same price, I will be really happy. Any idea when that will be?