View Full Version : ePubPack, a quickie ePub zip utility for Windows (GPL)

awx
05-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Here's an open-source utility to help quickly create a proper ePub zip container from a folder.

To use, select your ePub "mimetype" file and choose a Filename.epub to save as. Then click the "Create ePub File" button. All files inside the source folder will be included in the ePub file.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2830/epubpack20100528.png

Installer with auto-updater:
setup.exe (http://sourceforge.net/projects/epubpack/files/setup.exe/download)

Zip download with no installer:
ePubPack-1.3.2.0.zip (https://sourceforge.net/projects/epubpack/files/ePubPack-1.3.2.0.zip/download)

Site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/epubpack/

License: GPL v3 or later

Requirements: Windows 7, Vista or XP & .Net 4.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en)

Please let me know if there are any bugs.

wallcraft
05-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Under Windows XP, the select ePub Folder button does not work. It is looking for an ePub file, and can't be used to select a folder.

awx
05-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Under Windows XP, the select ePub Folder button does not work. It is looking for an ePub file, and can't be used to select a folder.
The 1st button requires you to select the "mimetype" file at the root of your ePub folder.

The 2nd button requires you to give it a filename ending with ".epub", not a folder.

wallcraft
05-26-2010, 02:51 AM
The 1st button requires you to select the "mimetype" file at the root of your ePub folder. Thanks. What was throwing me off was the "ePub Folder:" line in the main window, but it makes sense that you have to select the mimetype to allow navigation between folders.

This worked on the couple of ePubs I tested, and it will be useful the next time I have to manually edit an ePub.

awx
05-26-2010, 03:06 AM
I'm not opposed to changing how it works and understand that the label is somewhat misleading. I felt that selecting the mimetype file was a decent method to ensure users picked an actual ePub folder rather than something random.

Also, I should have mentioned in the first post that ePubPack does almost no validation of the input files. It just blindly zips up the contents of the folder. If you feed it garbage, you'll get an invalid ePub file.

Chang
05-26-2010, 04:59 AM
I installed it but the program doesn't work (?)

I downloaded the setup.exe and it first installed .NET 4.0. Then it asked me to reboot so I did it and after reboot it finished the installation. I tried to open epubpack from the shortcut icon in startup menu but it doesn't do anything. I checked location for the shortcut icon but it doesn't lead to Program files folder or anywhere where epubpack is installed. Where it installed the .exe file?

I have XP.

awx
05-26-2010, 10:51 AM
I'll have to try to find an XP machine without .Net on it to try to reproduce that. In the meantime, uninstall ePubPack and then re-install it. It should be much quicker as .Net is already installed.

The installer puts the app in the user profile folder, not in program files.

awx
05-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I tested the install on two XP machines and it worked fine. I'd say just re-install it.

awx
05-26-2010, 09:23 PM
New version released that makes the mimetype file selection process clearer. Also, the window position and last used directories are now remembered. Menu bar and about box added.

Chang
05-27-2010, 03:04 AM
I'll have to try to find an XP machine without .Net on it to try to reproduce that. In the meantime, uninstall ePubPack and then re-install it. It should be much quicker as .Net is already installed.

The installer puts the app in the user profile folder, not in program files.

I uninstalled ePubPack and then reinstalled it but that didn't work. I still can't find epubpack.exe anywhere from my hard drive. Seems that it only installs shortcut icon and link to this thread but not an .exe file.
I downloaded the ZIP file, unzipped and tried to use epubpack.exe from there but the whole program doesn't even start up :/ Probably something with my computer.

awx
05-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Windows makes many parts of the filesystem invisible. But on XP, the installer will put the ePubPack.exe somewhere similar to this:
c:\Documents & Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\

awx
05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I was bored at work today so here's a new version.

* Background can be toggled between white and cardboard.
* GPL license file now included with zip archive.
* Auto-updater changed to check only once per day.

awx
07-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Minor new version released:
* Bug fix for exception thrown while attempting to browse unavailable network shares.

awx
09-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Minor new version released:
* Improved feedback when creating files. Dialog box now shown after ePub creation.
* Option added to show or not show dialog when ePub creation is successful. Dialog will always show when creation fails.

mtrahan
06-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I was looking for a small Windows utility to re-build the ePub files I open to edit the .opf and .ncx files (since I can't edit those in Sigil), and this does just that. I don't know if it's still maintainted or something but it's still working, so thanks!

On a related note, except oXygen, is there any text/xml editor that can open directly an ePub file to edit it without the need to re-build it every time?

Toxaris
06-02-2011, 03:45 AM
You can use TweakEpub (from the makers of Atlantis). It will load an epub and you can then select the file you want to edit. It opens the file in the editor of your choice (mine is Notepad++) and if you are finished, just save. It will update the epub without repacking.

mtrahan
06-02-2011, 09:36 AM
You can use TweakEpub (from the makers of Atlantis). It will load an epub and you can then select the file you want to edit. It opens the file in the editor of your choice (mine is Notepad++) and if you are finished, just save. It will update the epub without repacking.

Oh, nice! Exactly what I was looking for. Now I think I finally got all the tools I need for my workflow.

And here's a link to the Tweak ePub utility: http://atlantiswordprocessor.blogspot.com/2009/11/tweaking-epubs-its-just-zip-file.html

Thanks!

osnova
06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I've also been using ePubPack for a while now. I like its simplicity and lack of bloat. Thumbs up.

I'll try TweakEpub and see whether it works for me.

susiecc77
04-03-2013, 09:41 AM
I noticed that the archive size created when you rezip an epub is quite a bit larger than the size the archive started as (made from some epub app). How can I fix this?

awx
04-03-2013, 10:25 AM
The zip library used isn't very efficient. Someone needs to improve it.

Yoths
04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I wrote my own tool as I needed this functionality.
Maybe it can be used by anyone else...

EPUBCompressor (https://www.box.com/s/mnyg1yk4jc3dqz4ysksl)

JSWolf
04-11-2013, 02:03 PM
I wrote my own tool as I needed this functionality.
Maybe it can be used by anyone else...

EPUBCompressor (https://www.box.com/s/mnyg1yk4jc3dqz4ysksl)

The item you are trying to access has either been deleted or is unavailable to you.

Either your link is incorrect or you've deleted the file. Also, I had to login before I could see that there is a problem downloading.

Yoths
04-18-2013, 04:08 AM
The item you are trying to access has either been deleted or is unavailable to you.

Either your link is incorrect or you've deleted the file. Also, I had to login before I could see that there is a problem downloading.

Oh... Sorry, I've set a wrong file access mode... :(

Please try again, the link should work now...

JSWolf
04-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Oh... Sorry, I've set a wrong file access mode... :(

Please try again, the link should work now...

Thanks. It does work now. I was able to download.

gdutoit
12-03-2013, 10:15 AM
ePubPack

Thank you, awx! Evidently ePubPack has been around for some time, but I discovered it only now. A very handy utility that does exactly what it's supposed to, with no bloat. Ok, so rezipping isn't that big a deal, but this way is just so much easier. Love it.

Hitch
12-05-2013, 03:33 AM
Thank you, awx! Evidently ePubPack has been around for some time, but I discovered it only now. A very handy utility that does exactly what it's supposed to, with no bloat. Ok, so rezipping isn't that big a deal, but this way is just so much easier. Love it.

Oh, no, this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier. Waaaaaaaaaay. ;-)

Hitch

bluejay347
12-28-2013, 02:42 AM
Thanks so much, awx, for this software. I've used it previously on a different computer, but had to buy a new computer with Windows 8 after that one broke. Can you tell me if you have any plans to update ePubPack to work with Windows 8? I would really like to use it again! Thanks!

Freeshadow
12-28-2013, 03:35 AM
An even better idea than win 8 updates:

Implementation of Zopfli for DEFLATE?

najgori
01-04-2014, 04:19 AM
AdvanceCOMP ZIP Compression Utility supports recompression with zopfli algorithm with any number of iterations. I am not an expert to say how well it works. However, epubs are smaller after recompression.

Toxaris
01-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks so much, awx, for this software. I've used it previously on a different computer, but had to buy a new computer with Windows 8 after that one broke. Can you tell me if you have any plans to update ePubPack to work with Windows 8? I would really like to use it again! Thanks!

Why wouldn't it work on win 8? Have you installed .Net 4.0?

Freeshadow
01-04-2014, 07:57 PM
AdvanceCOMP ZIP Compression Utility supports recompression with zopfli algorithm with any number of iterations. I am not an expert to say how well it works. However, epubs are smaller after recompression.

An epubs 1st entry has to be a uncompressed stored mimetype file. Hence manual creation is a 2-step process:
1: create a zip with the mimetype file stored uncompressed
2: add the rest of the epub files to it.

As neither Advzip nor the Zopfli executable is capable of adding files to an existing zipfile both cannot be used for epub building.

(which is the reason I posted what I posted :D)

YES We could need a zopfli compressor for epubs; the size difference is big enough to matter.

Toxaris
01-05-2014, 01:21 AM
I don't think a zip library with zopfli support will become available to .Net very soon. The speed impact will not really warm up developers for it.

Freeshadow
01-05-2014, 02:58 AM
Yes I actually hope someone at least makes a simple console version in C by replacing the existing packing routine with zopf. I think it's obvious that such a tool would be meant to optimise-packing a final version of a book.

najgori
01-06-2014, 06:39 AM
advzip -z -4 -i 1000 Melville.epub
4614268 4404517 95% Melville.epub
4614268 4404517 95%

"Melville" is Melville - Works v.2.0.epub from this forum.
advzip is part of advancecomp 1.18.

edit: it's a very slow process on my old e8500 cpu

Freeshadow
01-08-2014, 07:35 AM
<- (me) is a moron

najgori:
I have to apologise as it seems.
I overlooked that -4 option doesn't reshrink stored files
have redone a test and mimetype indeed remains STORED after recompression via -z parameter Hence as a matter of fac we CAN use advzip v. 1.17+ as an epub recompressor

a bucketload of karma comes along

najgori
01-08-2014, 12:14 PM
@freeshadow
:) it was just a my lucky guess...

anyway, advancecomp is open source, (http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/comp-download.html) so for someone with knowledge of c, perhaps it would not be so hard to add -epub switch with optimal parameters for epub recompression.

Amba
04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Hi. I just downloaded ePubPack onto my Windows 8 computer because I thought it would help me create my ePub files.

It downloaded just fine and opens fine, too, but for some reason it won't select my mimetype file even when I specifically click on it. It's weird because I'm pretty sure I made the mimetype file correctly, so I'm not sure why it doesn't want to work.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone needs more information, feel free to ask.