View Full Version : Via Says $100 Android-Powered Tablets Will Challenge the IPad This Year

kjk
05-24-2010, 07:09 PM
http://preview.bloomberg.com/news/2010-05-24/via-says-100-android-powered-tablets-will-challenge-the-ipad-this-year.html

About five different models, ranging in price from $100 to $150, will be available, Richard Brown, vice president of marketing at Via, said in an interview. The new computers, made by the company’s Chinese customers, will run Google Inc.’s Android operating system.

That's a lot of models within a $50 range :eek:

cheerio6414
05-24-2010, 07:24 PM
this is going to be crazy

Tamara
05-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I honestly don't see how they can sell them that cheap unless they are going to use garbage components that will fail in six months.

Jaime_Astorga
05-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. It still sounds too good to be true, unless these are low quality products that need to be ordered into the U.S. from some Asian website.

Dopedangel
05-25-2010, 01:05 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. It still sounds too good to be true, unless these are low quality products that need to be ordered into the U.S. from some Asian website.

16gb Ipad cost apple about $259.60 in hardware according to estimates.
The most expensive thing is its screen $65.
So a device can be made in that range. Will not be as good as an Ipad thats a
given but yes it can be done. And if it costs 3 times less than an Ipad it will also sell a lot if it can do the basic function of web browsing and media consumption.

bob1xxx
05-25-2010, 01:22 AM
I honestly don't see how they can sell them that cheap unless they are going to use garbage components that will fail in six months.

That's never stopped crapple ... I mean apple :p;)

dmaul1114
05-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I can't see those being worth a damn.

You get what you pay for. The wifi only iPods have an estimated cost of $250 or so from what I've read--and that's just parts and doesn't account for research and development costs, marketing costs etc.

wallcraft
05-25-2010, 01:53 AM
The Pandigital Novel (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84520) is an actual 7" Android tablet for $199 (estimated $180 retail). It is clearly designed to be an ebook reader with a few extras, and is therefore likely to be underpowered as a general tablet. I don't doubt that $125-$150 retail is possible later this year for a functional but minimal device.

It is less clear to me that a true Android based iPad competitor can be sold for much less than the iPad. Apple seems to be taking lower margins than usual, at least at the entry level.

Ervserver
05-25-2010, 02:15 AM
ahhh I'm holding out for the $29 faux Kindles

Tamara
05-25-2010, 11:18 AM
That's never stopped crapple ... I mean apple :p;)

Guessing you are an Apple hater :shrug:.

AlexC
05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm an active Apple skeptic, but until the upcoming crop of Android tablets can demonstrate 10+ hours of usable battery life they won't be true iPad challengers.

dmaul1114
05-25-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm an active Apple skeptic, but until the upcoming crop of Android tablets can demonstrate 10+ hours of usable battery life they won't be true iPad challengers.

That's the real key. Some super cheap, underpowered device isn't a true competitor.

A true competitor will match the iPads specs and performance as closely as possible, and ideally go better in certain areas like having a more open app store, an open, user-accessible file system, variety of screen size options for people who want something smaller or larger etc.

John F
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
A true competitor will match the iPads specs and performance as closely as possible, and ideally go better in certain areas like having a more open app store, an open, user-accessible file system, variety of screen size options for people who want something smaller or larger etc.
And flash. :p

dmaul1114
05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Indeed! Flash is a must in a tablet for me--at least as long as Flash is still so prevalent on sites I frequent.

Jaime_Astorga
05-25-2010, 06:47 PM
16gb Ipad cost apple about $259.60 in hardware according to estimates.
The most expensive thing is its screen $65.
So a device can be made in that range. Will not be as good as an Ipad thats a
given but yes it can be done. And if it costs 3 times less than an Ipad it will also sell a lot if it can do the basic function of web browsing and media consumption.
Oh, no, I certainly agree it is perfectly possible to make one. I'm just saying, I haven't seen anything of the sort, so I am pretty suspicious of the claim that they are all going to show up in the same year. I mean, I am pretty sure netbooks were possible for a long time, too, but they never happened until OLPC and Asus opened the floodgates. Still, I would be very happy to see such devices as alternatives to the iPad. Specially if they have good battery life, as discussed above.

Iphinome
05-25-2010, 08:58 PM
And flash. :p

Ya.. um well sort of. Flash because you need it these days though is steve jobs managed to get people to abandon flash I won't shed a tear. I'd love to see it replaced by something less messy and bloated and with enough security to not make mall cops around the world burst out laughing.

But back on topic a cheap even if underpowered tablet that isn't locked down could be useful, at least in places where a netbook's screen is too small or for people who just don't like netbooks.

Dopedangel
05-26-2010, 03:52 AM
I use my pc 90% of the time for web browsing reading email etc or working with docs
So does most of my family so a device that allows you to do that it removes the need for multiple pc
I know every company is going towards cloud computing it is the future true but in the near future I think the next leap is home cloud computing. Where their is one home server that does all the hard processing wiht multiple devices that use its power.
Some tech savy might already be doing that but it is mainly being used as a business tool and has not made a true leap to home computing.
And I think android with its ability to transferred to so many different kinds of devices it
could lead the way to it.

pboss
05-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Hating Apple is the hallmark of nerd zealotry. And it's so 90s.

TallMomof2
05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Don't forget USB ports, if the iPad had an USB port I would've seriously considered it.

dmaul1114
05-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I use my pc 90% of the time for web browsing reading email etc or working with docs
So does most of my family so a device that allows you to do that it removes the need for multiple pc

Only issue is a lot of that (longer e-mails, working with documents--assume you mean creating them, writing etc.) needs a keyboard.

I'm dying for a 12" or so tablet. But it would always just be a supplement to my desktop/laptop as I do need to do real work at home--writing, data analysis etc. etc.

Tablet would be for reading and marking up articles, light web surfing etc.

bob1xxx
05-28-2010, 04:09 AM

Apple is one of the all time great marketing scams proving if you can convenience suckers , I mean customers that your product is hype oops Hip , trending and generally grossly over priced people fall into this false snob/ my poop don't sink superiority complex that strips them of there common sense and sanity in one fell swoop. So there will to pay as much 50% to 100% more than they need to for a given product or service. I got tried of apple Nazi fanboy weirdos eons ago when I bought my 1st pc clone in the late 80's for 1/3 the price of apple system I was able to buy a pc , monitor and printer and had a system that handle all my pc needs for the next 5 years. I didn't need to spend x 3 as much to do my school papers and gaming. Apple from day one has been about hype , marketing and making the most insanely over priced product possible and not a superior cost effective products. Electronic devices are tools to me, whether it a desktop/laptop pc, e book reader, or the next generation 10" linux flash running /e book/ media device tablet computer I buy is going to have a good balance of performance to price ratio which instantly rules out anything made by apple. I'm cheap B*stard and refuse to fall and over pay for the false privilege owning apple anything. Sorry If that makes me a apple hater Im a Happy one :D:2thumbsup:rofl::thumbsup:

SameOldStory
05-28-2010, 12:24 PM
You "cheap B*stard"! I bet that you don't (over)pay for Starsmucks Coffee either! :D

When I first saw this I thought that it was a joke.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xi9BRgjvOlk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xi9BRgjvOlk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jaime_Astorga
05-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Starbucks (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/18/1-coffee/), Macbooks (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/30/39-apple-products/), and writing (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/23/21-writers-workshops/) go pretty well together, actually.

12JTDp6xm18

Satirical articles and videos aside, however, I definitely remember my reaction to the fact that Apple's iPod touch was the cheapest modern internet tablet I found while searching a while back; I thought that something was very, very wrong.

Hopefully, one of these Android devices will be under $200 and by its existence restore balance to the world.

Avarwen
05-28-2010, 10:52 PM
The ipad is a joke it's an over sized ipod touch that you have to pay separate services for. The ipad is just another way to get Apple fanboy's to drop some change. Don't get me wrong I owned an ipod classic and liked it I just see the ipad as a waste of space is all. As for the new android tablets as long as I can read a book and do a little extra on it I'll be fine. People seem to forget that these devices aren't meant to replace your computer but be more of a fun gizmo. So to me at least it doesn't have to do anything fancy.

Tamara
05-28-2010, 11:05 PM
The ipad is a joke it's an over sized ipod touch that you have to pay separate services for. The ipad is just another way to get Apple fanboy's to drop some change. Don't get me wrong I owned an ipod classic and liked it I just see the ipad as a waste of space is all. As for the new android tablets as long as I can read a book and do a little extra on it I'll be fine. People seem to forget that these devices aren't meant to replace your computer but be more of a fun gizmo. So to me at least it doesn't have to do anything fancy.

Funny that you consider an iPad a waste but an Android copycat is not a waste :shrug:

Avarwen
05-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Funny that you consider an iPad a waste but an Android copycat is not a waste :shrug:

Not really let's see I can pay $499 to $829 for a device that does far less than my $700 laptop or even a cheap netbook. Then I have to pay a monthly fee if I want 3G. With an android e- reader right now I just buy the device and that's it. I'm sure they too will offer 3G with fees as well at some point. But if I can pay $100 to $200 for an extra device that I'm only buying for shear enjoyment then it's not a waste to me.

If the ipad did more like allow you to write ,draw, take pictures, record video and voice record then I wouldn't consider it a waste even if it cost $1000. I'm not an Apple hater but I just don't think the ipad is worthy of the hype it's getting when it doesn't even do that much. And is nowhere near worth they want you you pay for it.

bob1xxx
05-29-2010, 12:38 AM
You "cheap B*stard"! I bet that you don't (over)pay for Starsmucks Coffee either! :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xi9BRgjvOlk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xi9BRgjvOlk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Yep I drink a lot McDonald's coffee, generally fresher, and get more of it for my 1.89 and it isn't that god awful over french roast Star Boink's slop:p. LOL ;);) PS I have not laugh so hard in months LOL that sooooooo funny LOL!!!!!

SensualPoet
05-29-2010, 03:05 PM
The ipad is a joke it's an over sized ipod touch that you have to pay separate services for. ... People seem to forget that these devices aren't meant to replace your computer but be more of a fun gizmo.

I completely agree although I wouldn't be quite so harsh. The iPad is currently an over-sized iPod with potential and some nicely displayed new apps. It also has a ready market, developer community and distribution system for the apps. And, it's a cool thing to own.

The folks who really need to be worried are the Microsofties who have been "shut out" of the mobile phone market and are now in recovery mode betting everything on Windows 7 Mobile ... when every major cell manufacturer is tripping over themselves to launch multiple Android phones. The Android OS has percolated faster than any OS I've ever seen and is now on millions of devices: it's an explosion, or a tidal wave (please choose a metaphor).

This energy and openness is completely at odds with the Apple Way and will overtake Apple in mobile environments in months. As it matures over the coming 18 months, if tablets survive as a category, it will be the Android models that far lead the market in price, features, flexibility and developer support. It's great to be iconic: your stuff ends up in the Museum of Modern Art. But hardly anyone buys a Movado watch or Bang & Olufsen CD player ....

The Android tablets that truly challenge the iPad will be those in the $250 to $400 range that outpace the iPad capabilities. As long as the category remains primarily playback oriented, iPad's average $700+ price point is the real iPad killer.

Tamara
05-29-2010, 03:35 PM
But hardly anyone buys a Movado watch or Bang & Olufsen CD player ....

I know lots of people with Movado watches and B&O equipment :).

SensualPoet
05-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I know lots of people with Movado watches and B&O equipment :).

Yesss ... and perhaps I do, as well. (In my case some, not lots; Movado, I'm not so sure.) But how many were bought in, say, 2009? Gartner reports 306 million personal computers sold in 2009 -- in the midst of the worst recession in living memory. I'm not convinced Movado and B&O sales were "robust" in 2009.

Fully functional Android tablets at perhaps $400 -- not $99 fad toys -- are quite likely to be thick as thieves in 12 months time. They are the category to watch as Apple attempts to extend its iPhone mobile platform.

brecklundin
05-31-2010, 04:36 AM

Not to defend Starbucks but rather to dispel that myth of them selling nothing but $5 "cups" of coffee. First a true "cup" of coffee is 5oz, by definition. ;) But we all buy 16oz - 20oz "cups" because, well, we are usually OTG and need our caffeine fix in mass quantities. ;)

OK at McDonald's a 20oz coffee is somewhere around $1.60....at Starbucks the same 20oz of coffee is around $1.80 (or is it $1.90 now?)...actually I find I prefer the Mickey D's coffee but if I am at SB I grab a coffee there and use the free wifi or just read on the old K2. The thing is the extras....just like apPlE, but of course EVERYTHING is extra with ApPlE even if the system does not run without it. I believe refills at our SB are only 50-cent or maybe even one free, I don't recall anymore.

But coffee at coffee shops is only spendy if you have to add 18-ingredients and about 2000-calories to it....5x/day...

dmaul1114
05-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah, that's very true. The issue is people are comparing the cost of plain coffee at other places to the price of Lattes, Cappuccinos, Frapuccinos etc. at Starbucks.

I seldom get coffee at Starbucks as I usually just make my own and use flavored creamer to approximate a latte, or make my own flavored iced coffee etc. Though I do usually buy my coffee beans at Starbucks as they have some damn good beans available. Always buy something that's bold or extra bold.

bob1xxx
05-31-2010, 08:51 PM
LOL you reminded me why the last two times I went into Starboinks was to rent their wifi as long as I could slowly drink Venti drip LOL . Although that's not no longer even a good excuse to subject to StarBoinks overly french roasted to death Blech coffee a lot of Mcdonalds here in So CAl have free Wifi too boot (att is my dsl provider, so no charges) so I can vampire Wifi at McDonald's or Starboink's for free LOL:thumbsup:;)

watershawl
06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Sometimes manufacturers subsidize the cost of manufacturing if they know they are going to make it up in selling the content. This is what Microsoft does with the XBOX and might be what Amazon.com does with the Kindle (or should do), but I don't see VIA doing this unless they are planning on opening up some sort of App or ebook marketplace to coincide with the devices.

Duiker
06-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Ask the people at Foxxcon.

bob1xxx
06-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Ask the people at Foxxcon.

Yes which is a major supplier of apple products;)

brecklundin
06-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Yeah, that's very true. The issue is people are comparing the cost of plain coffee at other places to the price of Lattes, Cappuccinos, Frapuccinos etc. at Starbucks.

I seldom get coffee at Starbucks as I usually just make my own and use flavored creamer to approximate a latte, or make my own flavored iced coffee etc. Though I do usually buy my coffee beans at Starbucks as they have some damn good beans available. Always buy something that's bold or extra bold.

yup....I enjoy a couple of the special beans from SB but I usually get my beans from Sweet Marias and am learning to roast my own. One think you realize once you have tried properly roasted beans is the true difference from the chain-store beans where they intentionally over roast them in order to get more uniform taste.

I actually like SB Pike's Place and have it Turkish ground (the only time I have my coffee pre-ground) and then make my own version of a good cup of Turkish coffee. Pure heaven...yummmmmm!!

I also really liked the SB Sanani but you pretty much can never find it anymore around here.

I usually drink my coffee when out and about and just in the moode to site and read at a local mom-n-pop place in our old downtown (well, this places ONLY downtown, it just happens to be, well, OLD and broken...hehehehe). Great coffee and supporting a small "guy" just because. To be honest they muct either own the building or the owner is giving them a HUGE break on rent because there is no way they sell enough to earn a solid living right now even with being in walking distance from one of our nicer homey sorta residential parts of town. THey even let me bring my own unsweetened unflavored soy milk so they don't need to try and stock it...I tip the difference to the counter folks.

Still I frequent out SB as well because it is a closer walk to my home. And I never visit Mickey D's simply so I don't need to put up with the zillion screaming snot nosed brats....and I mean what passes for teens these days... ;)

dmaul1114
06-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I'm no coffee aficionado! Beer is the only beverage/food that I really have a love for and treat as a hobby.

I just get beans at starbucks or other places as I like the bold/extra bold beans--brew it strong, put some flavored creamer in it and I have a poor man's latte, or a flavored iced coffee! :D

SameOldStory
06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Maybe we should start a new thread "Where to read and use WiFi".:)

When I was growing up my mother would percolate coffee. When you make or buy drip :( coffee you're missing the aroma of the coffee. Be warned that your favorite drip coffee may not be the best to percolate.

BACK ON TOPIC

Not really let's see I can pay $499 to $829 for a device that does far less than my $700 laptop or even a cheap netbook.

If something can do MORE than another product can you really call it a "copycat"?

I've seen the iPad. It looks really nice, no question.

Mobile Internet Devices came out well before the iPad, so you could say that the iPad is a limited MID copycat.

Now that I think of it, the iPad is just a versatile gadget.