View Full Version : Stop line wrapping at quotes at the end of a paragraph

sherman
05-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi,
Basically, I'm getting annoyed with the epub renderers I use (mostly ADE, but also calibre's ebook viewer) choosing to wrap lines at an ending quote. Is there any CSS that would stop this behavior? Seems to mostly happen at the end of a paragraph.

example of what I mean:

An example of how the remderers handle the mentioned
line wrapping. "this is a bit of dialog at the end of a paragraph
"
A new paragraph starts here.

If anyone can shed some light on the matter, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

frabjous
05-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I've never seen ADE do that, nor calibre's viewer, and no viewer should.

Are you sure there aren't spaces before the quotation marks in the source file? Could you post a snippet of the xhtml where this happens?

paulpeer
05-13-2010, 01:18 AM
I've seen this phenomen too but as far as I can remember it happens only with typographical quotes, not with the ordinary quotes you find on your keyboard.

sherman
05-13-2010, 01:27 AM

Are you sure there aren't spaces before the quotation marks in the source file? Could you post a snippet of the xhtml where this happens?

I took a quick screenshot on where it happens in the calibre ebook viewer. (see attachment for image.
The corresponding xhtml in the epub is:

...you know nothing about may get you in a lot of trouble.</p>
<p class="calibre1">I must have

I've seen this phenomen too but as far as I can remember it happens only with typographical quotes, not with the ordinary quotes you find on your keyboard.

I haven't payed much attention to what kind of quotes it happens with, so you could be right there.

Jellby
05-13-2010, 05:59 AM
That's a bug/problem of the underlying XHTML renderer, there's nothing you can do with CSS. At most, you could insert a zero width joiner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_non-joiner) and hope for the best, but that's a really ugly patch.

HarryT
05-13-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm pretty sure that none of my reading device do this. Sounds like a bug - along the lines of Bookeen's Mobi reader not regarding a dash as a valid place at which to break a line.

Valloric
05-13-2010, 02:52 PM

I can't speak for Calibre's viewer, but ADE does this sometimes. And man, is it annoying...