View Full Version : Be Warned! These things are super fragile

bkesner
05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I had my eDGe for less then two weeks when I bumped it hard and the e-ink screen broke. I sent it back to them for repair and not only was I informed that damage was not covered under the warranty (which is true it is a very restrictive warranty, the buyer has very few rights) but I was informed that fixing the e-ink screen would cost $275, more then half the initial cost.
It was a neat device for the short time I has to play with it, but if anything happens you are out of luck.

-Ben

borisb
05-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Laptops are the same - you have to buy extra protection (e.g. CompleteCare from Dell) to cover accidents like this.

Warranties never cover "accidents", only manufacturing defects...

Dellaster
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Ben, I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I own four e-ink devices and in each of their respective forums I've read similar stories. Apparently the screens are pretty delicate; I've become paranoid and very cautious with my readers.

Warranties never cover "accidents", only manufacturing defects...

Sometimes not even defects if they can get away with it. When I returned my Macintosh laptop a second time, the store manager gave me the fifth degree in front of several other employees, red-faced and accusing me of dropping it (there was an abrasion). He declared that my warrantee was void because of abuse. I stood my ground until he finally gave up and stalked off with a few rude words. Later, the repair guy confided that the problem was a known issue that couldn't have anything to do with dropping or bumping it.

What a jerk.

t-town
05-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, all e Ink glass screens are extremely fragile and can't handle pressure very good.
Entourage can solve this with a plastic base, but when will those become common?

maynard
05-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The Edge is built like a tank compared to the iPad. I own both. Edge has its share of software problems, but as a sturdy portable device it's quite good.e

Logseman
05-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Yeah, all e Ink glass screens are extremely fragile and can't handle pressure very good.
Entourage can solve this with a plastic base, but when will those become common?

Eventually in the second half of this year there are plastic substrate devices to be released.

Bic
06-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I had my eDGe for less then two weeks when I bumped it hard and the e-ink screen broke. I sent it back to them for repair and not only was I informed that damage was not covered under the warranty (which is true it is a very restrictive warranty, the buyer has very few rights) but I was informed that fixing the e-ink screen would cost $275, more then half the initial cost.
It was a neat device for the short time I has to play with it, but if anything happens you are out of luck.

-Ben

check with the credit card company you used to buy it. Mine (both AmEx and Citi MasterCard) have 90 day accidental damage/theft coverage and also extend the original warranty one year.