View Full Version : PDF cropping software: BRISS

Pages : [1] 2

laborg
05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi!

I own a Cybook since two years and was bugged that there is no easy-to-use open-source software for cropping pdf files so the last couple of days I hacked something which might be usefull for other ebook users. Since its written in Java should run under Linux/Windows/MacOSX.

You can download the application from sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

So if you want to make the best out of your 6 inch try BRISS ;-)

If the name offends your religious feelings I sure can think of a better one.

Waiting for feedback,
laborg

laborg
05-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi!

I own a Cybook since two years and was bugged that there is no easy-to-use open-source software for cropping pdf files so the last couple of days I hacked something which might be usefull for other ebook users. Since its written in Java runs under Linux/Windows/MacOSX.

You can download the application from sourceforge:

If the name offends your religious feelings I sure can think of a better one.

Waiting for feedback,
laborg

Btw.: Sorry for crossposting into NEWS forum. I think this post is better suited here.

Guns4Hire
05-09-2010, 03:35 PM
I'll give it a try. I don't do PDF very often unless I absolutely have to. We will see how this works for the handful that I have.

frabjous
05-10-2010, 06:15 PM

GROAN!

I'll give this a try. Not sure it offers anything not already offered by soPDF and some others, but I like that it's cross-platform, etc.

laborg
05-10-2010, 06:55 PM
New version available! (0.0.2)

From the Changelog:
* Performance improvements
* Resolved Bugs:
#2999011 - Handling of rotated PDFs is implemented
#2999012 - Cropped rectangle is now limited to the preview image size

Have much fun!
Gerhard

laborg
05-11-2010, 04:24 AM
In the build from last night there was a major bug, which prevented the tool from working like it should. This was fixed in release 0.0.3.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Gerhard

ab7vf
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Just a note, briss-0.0.3 fails when creating cluster 1 on loading pdf ..
hope dump below will help, Jim

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at at.laborg.briss.MergedPanel.<init>(MergedPanel.java:50)
at at.laborg.briss.Briss$ClusterPagesTask.done(Briss. java:399)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$5.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnab le.run(Unknown Source)

laborg
05-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi!

There's a new release (0.0.4)

Could you try it with the new version? I replaced the preview rendering engine with JPedal and therefore it should be more robust.

Greetings,
Gerhard

ab7vf
05-11-2010, 04:26 PM
well, it still errors out at the same place as .3 and .2 .... 0.0.1 still works

nice program (0.0.1) though, it would be nice to be able to crop 2 column pdfs ... Thanks for your efforts so far though

Jim

laborg
05-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Mhm... I found the bug but it will take me some time to create a fix... Thx for reporting!

laborg
05-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Suprise! Another release (0.0.5)

No new functionality but got rid of two bugs.

Good night,
Gerhard

ab7vf
05-12-2010, 04:19 AM
OK! Its working again .. ran about 20 conversions through it and no hiccups whatsoever..
Thanks for your effort on this, Jim

laborg
05-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi all!

With release 0.0.6 you can now crop various regions of a page (=>multi colum support). The result will include a new page for every selected region. Since it's not a image based approach the resulting PDFs file size doesn't increase even if the cropped version has many more pages). :)

Good night,
Gerhard

https://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=263046

frabjous
05-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Fun little tool you've got here. Thanks a lot.

I have two feature requests.

Firstly, the tool strips the metadata from the PDF. (Subject, author, title, etc.) Is there any way it could be preserved? (Or even an option offered to add it if it's not there already?)

Secondly--although admittedly this might be very hard to implement--could there be an option to force all pages to be the same size? Suppose, e.g., you're cropping a two column PDF. Unless you've got steady hands, probably the boxes you select won't be precisely the same, which might result in a slight zoom-level variation on devices that zoom each page to fit the device, which could be distracting. You could, e.g., force all pages into the size of the largest selection.

A less alternative to this might be to show the dimensions of each selection box while you were selecting the region, so you could manually ensure that they were the same.

But this is a great tool, and I'm happy to have it, even without these features.

laborg
05-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Firstly, the tool strips the metadata from the PDF. (Subject, author, title, etc.) Is there any way it could be preserved? (Or even an option offered to add it if it's not there already?)

Secondly--although admittedly this might be very hard to implement--could there be an option to force all pages to be the same size? Suppose, e.g., you're cropping a two column PDF. Unless you've got steady hands, probably the boxes you select won't be precisely the same, which might result in a slight zoom-level variation on devices that zoom each page to fit the device, which could be distracting. You could, e.g., force all pages into the size of the largest selection.

I wasn't aware of the fact that it cuts away the metadata - i will have to look at that.
The second feature is actually one I've already implemented in an earlier version but dropped it. I will try to solve it for 0.0.7.

greetings,
Gerhard

MarionM
05-13-2010, 07:56 AM
the rss-feature didn't work at the download page in my browser. Is there another manner for getting new releases?

slex
05-13-2010, 08:06 AM

A less alternative to this might be to show the dimensions of each selection box while you were selecting the region, so you could manually ensure that they were the same.

But this is a great tool, and I'm happy to have it, even without these features.

I second that. It would be good to have some option to set the boxes on even and odd pages to be of the same size. Probably the box selection from the previous page can be shown with color lines, and when you reach them, the mouse could become sticky.

Another suggestion I would make is that probably zoom feature is introduced.

And if possible to make exception of some pages - e.g. some two-column articles have an abstract that spans the width of two columns and sometimes there are full-width tables in the text.

Also I think it would be good to have the possibility to resize a selection.

However this seems to be a very good tool, as it is fast and the option of having even/odd pages distinction is very useful. The above should be considered recommendations for further improvement, not criticism.

=X=
05-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Awesome probably one of the best PDF cropping tools out today. It is very fast and easy to use. The GUI really is a time saver.

Issues
You have some algorithm that helps you categorize/group pages. I've notices some pages don't quit fit, they're usually the title pages and table of content that extend beyond the margins. It would be nice if the software got smarter about detecting these pages or better yet allow the user to select which pages do not fit the criteria and allow us to remove it from the page group into their own group.

Feature enhancements:
SoPDF had this feature that allowed the user to concatenate pages and crop only on the width. This feature had real potential since it made the fonts larger and easier to read. The problem with how soPDF implemented the feature was difficult to read. Since there was no way to crop the header and footer of the PD, they took up anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the page. With this tool that is quit possible making such a feature very feasible since the user can now remove the header and footers.

laborg
05-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Hi!

Your Feedback and feature request help me a lot to understand what the software should do - Thank you.

Currently I'm working on a version which will support setting different crop rectangles to the maximum width or height of all selected crop rectangles, so that the font size should be equal among all pages. Further more the dimension of the last crop-rectangle will overlaid when you draw a new rectangle. This should support you in getting the the crop rectangles the same size from the beginning on.

The feature of excluding a single page from a page cluster will take more time, but I have a solution in mind which should do job without performance loss.

Have a nice day,
Gerhard

laborg
05-15-2010, 08:55 AM
New release is out 0.0.7

From the changelog:
* Meta information is copied to the cropped file
* Small visual fix in progress bar
* Ghost rectangle shows the size of the last drawn crop rectangle (for people who want to have equally sized pages)
* Dragging of crop rectangles (press and hold the mouse button inside a crop rectangle)
* Single removal of crop rectangles by pressing the right mouse button inside the rectangle to be deleted
* Selected crop rectangles (=>ctrl+left mouse click into the rectangle) can be sized to the maximum of all selected widths/heights.

next release will offer excluding pages from clusters...

Nice day,
Gerhard

mlstein
05-17-2010, 01:38 PM
This application is coming along & it's very useful--but it destroys is the bookmarks file. That's a big drawback with complex pdfs--reconstructing the bookmarks takes a different program and lots of time. I hope you can resolve this bug, because you've done something useful and pretty elegantly, too.

laborg
05-17-2010, 04:56 PM
New release 0.0.8

In this release the bookmarks should be copied to the cropped files (accommodating to new page numbers, of course)

Please try it out,
Gerhard

mlstein
05-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Looks like it works perfectly. THANK YOU SO MUCH! With Foxit to add bookmarks (the windows version runs fine in WINE) and your lovely little program to trim I'm all set.

=X=
05-18-2010, 03:34 PM
New release 0.0.8

In this release the bookmarks should be copied to the cropped files (accommodating to new page numbers, of course)

Please try it out,
Gerhard
Awesome! You have quickly become my favorite PDF cropping app. And I thought soPDF was going to be hard to beat. Well done.

Looks like it works perfectly. THANK YOU SO MUCH! With Foxit to add bookmarks (the windows version runs fine in WINE) and your lovely little program to trim I'm all set.
This is a Java program, you do not need to run it under WINE.

=X=

frabjous
05-18-2010, 05:57 PM
This is a Java program, you do not need to run it under WINE.

Pretty sure mlstein is running FoxIt under WINE, not BRISS. There is a version of FoxIt for linux, but I don't think it has all the features.

=X=
05-18-2010, 07:45 PM
:smack: okay I didn't read his first post.

@laborg I'm trying to figure out what the "max height" and "max width" do?

laborg
05-19-2010, 02:52 AM
hi!

If you select some crop rectangles (hold down the ctrl-key and click on a rectangle) you can set all of them to the width/height of the biggest crop rectangle. This feature was introduced, so that people will have the same font size when cropping multi-column pdfs.

I'll update the help in the next version, promised!

Gerhard

corona
05-25-2010, 12:22 AM

:smack: But it works great! :thanks:

roger64
06-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Hi

Experiment report with BRISS and pdftohtml

Using Linux Ubuntu Lucid 32 bits.

I used Briss 0.0.8 to crop a two-columnn PDF book. I had to take out the first pages which had only one column. Then from page 9, I cropped, first the even, then the odd pages. The result was very nice and exactly what I expected. Of course, some full width titles were cut ...But I could read it easily on my 505.

Then, because I am a perfectionnist, I tried to use pdfreflow with this cropped pdf (after a pdftohtml -xml process). I thought it would be easy because it was now a one column pdf. I got a segmentation error.

So, I thought, maybe only a straight pdftohtml would be sufficient. It did indeed process the file, putting aside all the photos. But the end result was surprising: it was as if pdftohtml had processed the initial double column pdf file in a one column way. Unlegible result.

I am sure I made no mistake and did process the cropped one column pdf file. I can't explain this result. It is as if the BRISS file "remembered" its initial double columns.

To sum it up :
- BRISS is very efficient to crop a double-column PDF file
- processing a BRISS cropped file with pdftohtml or pdfreflow yields bad results

slex
06-03-2010, 11:29 AM
To sum it up :
- BRISS is very efficient to crop a double-column PDF file
- processing a BRISS cropped file with pdftohtml or pdfreflow yields bad results

I think that BRISS makes some parts of the PDF invisible, when opened with a pdf reader, but in fact doesn't remove them from the file.

roger64
06-03-2010, 12:05 PM
If this is -probably- so, BRISS does the same as Acrobat does: it does not physically crop the file but -kind of- emulates the cropping.

Here is the display result when you look at a BRISS cropped file on the PRS-505 (from two columns to a single one):
- small : the file is still displayed with double-columns and hardly legible
- medium: easy reading with only one column cropped file
- big: lines too short, reflow problems

From it, you can see that you have in fact only one choice. I must add that the medium display above is reasonably fast, and you can "turn" the pages quickly enough to allow a sustained reading.Of course, you still get the original PDF page breaks.

luma
06-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I've been using the tool soPDF -i <infile> and been very happy because it splits the page in 2.

Is it possible to do that with this program? How do I do this operation-

split page in 2 vertically and then rotate the split page by 90 deg?

laborg
06-04-2010, 03:41 AM
You can split the page by manually drawing the desired number of crop rectangles onto a page, but its not possible to rotate the cropped areas. (I'll see this as a nice feature request - although I don't got the time to implement this for the next couple of weeks)

best regards,
Gerhard

slex
06-04-2010, 08:28 PM
I've been using the tool soPDF -i <infile> and been very happy because it splits the page in 2.

Is it possible to do that with this program? How do I do this operation-

split page in 2 vertically and then rotate the split page by 90 deg?

There are tools that can rotate pages. Pdftk can do this - it is a command line program and is available for both Windows and Linux.

PDF Fill tools is a program for Windows with a graphical interface which can rotate pages. Pdfshuffler can do this on Linux.

I don't think it is so necessary to implement this in BRISS. Top priority should be to specify pages which are not following the usual formatting of the document. This, of course, is only my opinion.

flyash
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Minor feature request - it would be nice if BRISS remembered the last directory you looked in (I suppose that merely requires an initialization file).

Great program, Gerhard. With BRISS, I am reliably able to crop pdf's down to the bone.

laborg
06-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Thanks.

I opened a new feature request (this is really a minor code modification). But at the moment I have a lot of work to do so I can't promise any release date.

Greetings,
Gerhard

gsalgado
06-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi there,

first of all, thanks a lot for this tool. It's very easy to use and does the job very quickly. However, I removed the margin of one pdf book and loaded it into the reader just to realize that the reader was still showing the margin even though I could clearly see the margin was gone when I opened the same file on the computer. I wonder if this is a known issue with the sony reader?

Cheers,
Guilherme

greenapple
06-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Hi there,

first of all, thanks a lot for this tool. It's very easy to use and does the job very quickly. However, I removed the margin of one pdf book and loaded it into the reader just to realize that the reader was still showing the margin even though I could clearly see the margin was gone when I opened the same file on the computer. I wonder if this is a known issue with the sony reader?

Cheers,
Guilherme

This, as with most other PDF tools, doesn't actually do a hard crop. It just resizes the viewable areas by changing the margins. Some readers might not be able to recognize and obey the instructions.

frabjous
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
This, as with most other PDF tools, doesn't actually do a hard crop. It just resizes the viewable areas by changing the margins. Some readers might not be able to recognize and obey the instructions.

Laborg will tell us for sure, but this does do a real crop from what I've seen.

Works for my Sony anyway.

flyash
06-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Works for my Sony anyway.
Mine too.

laborg
06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
My guess is that the sony reader doesn't comply to the pdf spec 100%.
And yes, BRISS doesn't do a "hard" crop, but just sets the dimension of the viewing boxes the right way.

gsalgado
06-19-2010, 11:42 PM
So, it turns out the reader displays my PDF with a smaller margin but not without any margin, as the cropped PDF has. I'm attaching this 1-page PDF I used for testing. When seen in my PRS-600, the cropped version has a smaller margin than the original one, but there's still a margin there. Is this what you see on yours?

My firmware seems to be 1.0.02.13180 although http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=PRS600&upd_id=4799 says that the latest firmware is 1.0.01.08040. I've purchased my reader less than a month ago, fwiw.

If this is not what you guys see, maybe it's because of a different version of the firmware?

Cheers,

frabjous
06-20-2010, 12:18 AM
When I load test_cropped.pdf on my Sony, there aren't really any margins on the top or the bottom—or least the margins don't appear any larger than they do in a PDF reader (I tested on evince on linux). There do appear to be margins on the sides, but presumably this is just a result of the fact that the proportions of the cropped page don’t match the proportions of the reader’s screen. (I.e., it can't zoom in any more horizontally while keeping the page on the screen vertically.)

My firmware is 1.1.00.18040. My reader is about a year and a half old. I can’t believe that’s the difference, though.

Personally, I find that page to be readable if you put the reader in landscape mode.

For this particular PDF, I would have used soPDF (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32066) rather than BRISS, mainly because there would be no need to manually select the crop region. Probably the results would not be much different. But if you don't need searchability or dictionary features, however, you could try feeding it through PDFLRF (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135) instead (or in addition). That deals with proportion mismatches in a different way (i.e., dividing up the page into as many chunks as necessary to maximize the width, combining the bottom of one page with the top of another if need be).

gsalgado
06-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I think frabjous is right that the margins on the side are a result of the cropped pdf's proportion not matching the screen's proportion. On my reader I also see no borders on the top/bottom.

I'll give PDFLRF a try, but I guess I'll have to dig through that form thread to find where to get it from? I can't seem to find it to download anywhere.

BTW, do other readers have problems reflowing when you increase the font size of PDFs as well, or is this specific to the sony?

Cheers,
Guilherme

jackie_w
06-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Thank you for a great PDF utility, Gerhard.:thanks:

I hope you won't mind if I make a couple of little comments about the GUI for your consideration for your next release.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 in case it's relevant.

Because the Odd and Even pages are stacked vertically I am not able to see all the cropping areas simultaneously on my screen. I wonder if it might be possible to have an option to place them side-by-side instead?

When a PDF file is loaded the window automatically expands such that only the top 2 buttons (Load and Crop) are visible, the other 2 fall off the bottom of my screen. A manual window resize is necessary for the 2 Maximise buttons to appear. This, of course, is not difficult, but it is a minor niggle :)

If I have missed something obvious that would fix either of these, perhaps someone could put me straight.

Once again, thank you for your efforts.

laborg
06-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Hi,

may I ask you what's your screen resolution?

thx,
Gerhard

flyash
06-23-2010, 08:18 AM
I notice the same things mentioned by jackie_w (though I think they are minor issues), and my screen resolution is 1680x1050.

jackie_w
06-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi,

Thank you for responding. My screen resolution is 1920x1200.

=X=
06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Can a mod please make this thread a sticky?

Thank you

vxf
06-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for this AWESOME piece of software. I am loving it.

frabjous
06-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Thank you

Seconded

Jellby
06-26-2010, 05:18 AM

Seconded

Done :)

Sylver
06-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Hi!

Hi, laborg, I got the following error when try to run the program on my Windows XP machine:

" Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file"
I believe this is because the code was compiled on a new version of java and I only have C:\jdk1.5.0_05 installed which might be outdated. To make sure that both the versoins are same, can you let me know which version of jdk should I download? It's been quite a while since I last used my jdk and I don't seem to be able to find the new jdk downloads with my old bookmark now. Many thanks.

Sylver
07-01-2010, 12:20 AM
OK, I downloaded jdk1.6 and it seems to be working fine. Good application. One more thing, I split each portrait into two landscape pages, however my nook has no landscape mode, so it still renders the landscapes as portraits hence half of the real estate is wasted and it is still kinda small. I was wondering if there is any option in the app that can turn the resulting cropped landscapes counter clock wise 90 degrees (into portrait again) so the nook can truly use the cropped version. Many thanks, good job.

frabjous
07-01-2010, 01:55 AM
OK, I downloaded jdk1.6 and it seems to be working fine. Good application. One more thing, I split each portrait into two landscape pages, however my nook has no landscape mode, so it still renders the landscapes as portraits hence half of the real estate is wasted and it is still kinda small. I was wondering if there is any option in the app that can turn the resulting cropped landscapes counter clock wise 90 degrees (into portrait again) so the nook can truly use the cropped version. Many thanks, good job.

Luma made the same suggestion on the first page of the thread. I hope Laborg gets around to implementing this, but in the meantime, you could make use of slex's advice to luma and use pdftk (http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/) to rotate the pages after using BRISS.

Sylver
07-01-2010, 02:03 AM
you could make use of slex's advice to luma and use pdftk (http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/) to rotate the pages after using BRISS.thanks a lot, frabjous.

Sylver
07-01-2010, 02:13 AM
yes, BRISS doesn't do a "hard" crop, but just sets the dimension of the viewing boxes the right way.
Ah, I have some issues with this, I cropped very carefully so the page break is between the two lines in the middle of the original page, the resulting PDF looks good on my PC and each following page connects well to the previous, however when I load it to the nook, there is always one or two lines overlapping that I always need to skip that line that I already read. Is there any way to put an option (a check box or the like) to force a "hard" crop? or is the hard crop physically not possible?

GeoffC
07-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Interesting, when I try and activate this command java -jar briss-0.0.8.jar
my screen flashes and the routine then closes.... :chinscratch:

I'm running Win7 64bit ....

laborg
07-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Hi!

@geoffc: is there any kind of error message? whats your java version?

@rotation.
At the moment i'm looking for an appartment and my phd demands quite some time, but it in the near future rotation is doable. (still have to make my thougths about how to make it user friendly)...

@Sylver
I'm sorry, but I don't think that a hard crop is possible (at least not in a affordable time). Briss is only a hack I did in a couple of days utilizing two really nice open-source pdf libraries. I hope in future that ebook-readers will get better pdf-renderers, otherwise I don't see a chance for solving your issues.

GeoffC
07-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Hi!

@geoffc: is there any kind of error message? whats your java version?

Version 6 - downloaded earlier this year. No error message given everything flashes very quickly on the screen - too quickly to make anything out.....

Not to worry ....

HectorHugo
07-06-2010, 07:30 AM
I've been using BRISS with PDFCreator to reformat/crop whitespace from technical PDFs and there is a little whitespace at the margins (probably due to the aspect ratio) but not that much. As such, I have found that by slightly cropping less of the page can make a huge difference with the amount of whitespace re-introduced by the Sony Reader software. So, if the display issue in BRISS could be resolved (i.e. scaling of the pdf pages at different screen resolutions) then this would probably be the fastest/best method for transferring technical PDFs to the Sony Ereaders. Well, until SONY sorts out it custom zoom feature (hint hint!!)....

laborg
07-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi!
So, if the display issue in BRISS could be resolved (i.e. scaling of the pdf pages at different screen resolutions) then this would probably be the fastest/best method for transferring technical PDFs to the Sony Ereaders...

I think i miss something here. I want to clarify the two problems I see:
a) Screen resolution of your computers screen is relevant only when dealing with big pages (so that you might have to scroll, and therefore it might be better to place them side by side)
b) Remaining margins through differing aspect ratio between ebook-reader-display and manually draw crop rectangle will not be manageable by software. The best thing I could do is to set a fixed aspect ratio for the crop rectangles...

I sold my PRS 600 a while ago (to much glare) so I'm just not familiar with its pdf rendering capabilities and it would be good to explain the problem in more detail to me.

thx,
Gerhard

HectorHugo
07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Okay.

So when I load the pdf into BRISS I can not see the whole page regardless of how I try to resize the BRISS window - similar to another comment made about how the two margin related buttons become hidden upon maximising the Java window.
The other issue is that, as I have cropped the main bulk of the text on a page, but extending the cropping area slightly above/below the SONY reader software "adds on" differing amounts of whitespace.

I mainly use my eReader on the train and as it was a gift too I'm a bit reluctant to sell it on just yet!!

Mr. Dalliard
07-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Wicked name! Stick with it, please.

laborg
07-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi!

Release 0.0.9 is out! with two minor changes:
* The last directory is remembered
* The maximum preview height is set to 600px, which should reduce some reported problems.

Please try it out,
thx,
Gerhard

jackie_w
07-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi Gerhard,

Thank you for for finding time for a new release.
The remembering of last-used directory is very welcome :)

However, the appearance of the screen when a PDF is loaded doesn't appear much different from v0.0.8.

The cropping areas are now slightly smaller but still can't be seen simultaneously on my 1920x1200 screen. Maximise buttons are still "off screen" until window is manually resized. I attach 2 screencaps showing v0.0.9 versus v0.0.8.

Is this the result you expected?

laborg
07-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Hi!
Hi Gerhard,

However, the appearance of the screen when a PDF is loaded doesn't appear much different from v0.0.8.
Is this the result you expected?
This release should only fix the problem where people were unable to create a crop rectangle because the preview was even bigger than the screen. You're suffering a different problem, but I think this can be solved easily.

Greetings,
Gerhard

jackie_w
07-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Oops! OK, sorry for getting ahead of myself :D

HectorHugo
07-09-2010, 08:57 AM
* The maximum preview height is set to 600px, which should reduce some reported problems.

Yes, this is much better now - thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

GeoffC
07-09-2010, 08:58 AM
don't know what you've done, but this up-date works for me where the other didn't .... okay - onwards, upwards and thanks ....

Hanselda
08-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks laborg. It is really a nice app. I have however one suggestion. It would be nice to have a option to skip the first page. Since usually the first page is the cover and I don't want to crop that. I have created a feature request on your sf project.

laborg
08-04-2010, 06:27 AM
thx for your suggestion. I think I can introduce this feature easily until I've found a cleaner solution to exclude (various) pages.

greetings,
Gerhard

Sylver
08-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks, this is a awesome program. I have a 300mb scanned PDF file that has 6000 plus pages, I used briss to cut the file into half screens - it did take quite some time to the point I almost thougt it was going to crash or lock the system, but it converted successfully and I loaded the resulting 12000 plus page PDF to my nook and it works like a charm. Can't be happier. The only issue is for some scanned PDFs, the letters dont look as dark - but again I guess this is the issue with the original scan that I cannot change. It would be nice to be able to exclude pages, not necessarily the first page which is the cover, it could be the dedicating page, author portraits, or even some contens index page, can't wait to see the updates. Again, thanks for a great job! very impressed.

blacx
08-07-2010, 05:12 AM
Thank you! :thanks:
This application is amazing, finally something intuitive and working for any pdf.
Thanks again for the hard work so we can all enjoy reading pdfs on our favourite e book readers :)

sark666
08-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I have computer books that I want to split the page into 3 and read in landscape, but I'd like an even split. A feature would be great to highlight the whole page and say chop into x amount. I keep trying to make the right split but end up with dead space on the bottom.

Also, an option to discard blank pages. Tech books have blank pages and I end up with 3 blank pages sometimes. To get my pdf's readable I'm discarding the the books page numbering entirely so these pages are completely blank.

Or maybe there is another utility that can discard blanks, but I hope there is a way or a new feature to ensure an even split covering the selected area.

Great app! I didn't think there would be a way to make tech pdf's readable on a 6 inch reader. Thank you!!

Also a zoom in function would be great. I'm making chops right on a line of text sometimes and it cascades through all the pages (chopping the bottom line) so I have to go back and retry, basically trial and error to get a good chop.

stjoe
08-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Can BRISS be used as command line with setting top, left, right and bottom crop box?

It will be very useful if there are many PDF files to be cropped.

laborg
08-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Hi and thx for the suggestions!

*) There is an exiting feature request by ugomatic for automatically cropping pdf. I made some thoughts and it should be possible to implement such a feature but will take some spare time and at the moment I've plenty of other things todo.

*) Removing pages was suggested by hanselda. This one should be easier but requires some testing. I think this will be the next feature I'm going to implement.

@sark: Did you try to use the function to set all crop-boxes to the size of the biggest crop-box? Wouldn't this help you in creating 3 equally sized crop-boxes?

Cheers,
Gerhard

sark666
08-28-2010, 12:18 AM
@laborg

I think I see what you mean in that when I make the first box it will draw the green outline on the next box to allow you to approximately make one the same size, my problem is I guess I'm a bad judge of a third of the page. ie. I make the first box which I estimate is a third of the page, make a second one the same size by the green outline, then go to make the third and realize that the green box is too much for the lower third, as I mis-estimated on my first third. So then I delete all 3 and rinse and repeat till I kinda get it right.

Also, I still have the problem of chopping mid-line so now I'm making the boxes overlap a little to ensure a line isn't missing so it's repeated on the next page. I think being able to zoom in and see if you are making a box mid-line might help prevent this. Assuming of course a book would keep the same line spacing consistently.

Unless you mean something else when you say 'Did you try to use the function to set all crop-boxes to the size of the biggest crop-box?'

jackie_w
08-28-2010, 06:09 AM
@laborg

Unless you mean something else when you say 'Did you try to use the function to set all crop-boxes to the size of the biggest crop-box?'

I think he meant use the 'Maximise to height' and/or 'Maximise to width' buttons with all 3 of your boxes selected. Then they will all end up the same height and/or width as the tallest/widest of the three.

sark666
08-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Acutally I couldn't get those buttons working. I'll try again, but I don't see how that will help me chop the page evenly in 3 slices.

jackie_w
08-28-2010, 10:32 AM
You will still need to draw 3 boxes to cover the page but you don't need to be ultra-careful about sizing them. Once you've used the Maximise buttons you will end up with 3 equally sized boxes. However the box overlap areas will probably be bigger than you originally drew them.

sark666
08-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Ok I'll try and play with that, but again they may be equally sized but the combined height of the 3 boxes doesn't necessarily equal the height of the page. That's what I'm after. As it is, I keep estimating the first one to cover the entire page equally and since I'm off the 3rd has greater zoom because I end up making it smaller than the other 2 or otherwise it bleeds off the page.

Sweetpea
08-31-2010, 04:08 AM
Ok, I must be missing something, as my cropped file stays 0Kb large...

Do I have to install extra things, beside java?

laborg
08-31-2010, 04:34 AM
Hi!

Sorry for being a bit slow to react on bugs/features (Common excuse: much work todo).

@sweetpea
There are no extra requirement besides java for BRISS. Which java version are you running? (just type "java -version" into the terminal). If it's not working for you just send me the file and I will have a look at it.

@sark666
I'm not quite sure if your requirement to have a perfect partition of crop areas is desirable. I think I don't see the immediate benefit. Would it be helpful for you to have a graphical raster on every page (lets say: cut in halfs, in thirds, quarters) so you could do it manually?

Greetings,
gerhard

Sweetpea
08-31-2010, 04:38 AM
@sweetpea
There are no extra requirement besides java for BRISS. Which java version are you running? (just type "java -version" into the terminal). If it's not working for you just send me the file and I will have a look at it.

I might have found the problem... It says it's a secured book...

laborg
08-31-2010, 05:04 AM
I might have found the problem... It says it's a secured book...

aha... I've never tested one of those...

Sweetpea
08-31-2010, 05:06 AM
aha... I've never tested one of those...

Well, for your information, it won't give an error. It will open the book, allow you to make the selection and when you say "crop", it will create an empty file.

It was only when I opened the original PDF in a PDF reader that I noticed it was secured :p

da_jane
09-02-2010, 12:34 AM
For a 300 page book do I have to do 300 rectangles? My rectangles are cutting out important content.

laborg
09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
For a 300 page book do I have to do 300 rectangles? My rectangles are cutting out important content.

nope. pages with the same size are merged to one.

vague_hit
09-02-2010, 11:20 PM
hi there

I have read every page in this topic and also downloaded the latest java runtime and looked up tutorials on the net but just cannot get briss working! when I try i get an error about a missing class file.

Can anyone tell me a simple step-by-step way of running Briss from the start? I'm running a windows 7 pc.

thanks!

GeoffC
09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
:hatsoff: vague_hit

Welcome to mobileread .... [experts a-plenty abound when you need one - just be patient someone will drop by]

frabjous
09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
hi there

I have read every page in this topic and also downloaded the latest java runtime and looked up tutorials on the net but just cannot get briss working! when I try i get an error about a missing class file.

What exactly is the error?

vague_hit
09-04-2010, 01:04 AM
the error was telling me i was missing a class file. I ended up re-downloading the program, making sure i had the most recent version. This time I noticed the file came up as a 'jave executible' so I just doubleclicked on it instead of going through the command line.. and it worked! No idea what was going on before but I've got it working now :P

Now to find a similar free program that will let me rotate the pages...

labmice3
09-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Thanks a lot, mate!

This software works beautifully, despite not having the nicest UI ever made :)

Truth is it solves the problem (huge problem) of having to crop PDF files so that they occupy e-reader screens on their totality. It is so fast I though there had been an error in the process. But no, the new file was there and the crop was done. The approach to help the user determine the right crop is really original. It takes all even and odd pages and overlays them separately. Then you can draw a rectangle (or several) encompassing the parts you want in the output file.

Really mate, thanks a lot! I just registered to let you know you save the day, at least for me!

Cheers!

jee
09-04-2010, 07:10 AM
It's a great piece of software, I have been using it fot cropping pdf's for the last two months. It makes reading technical documents easy. I also use it for removing large margins and for cropping double page scans. Thanks for such a great freeware!

rayfx
09-06-2010, 11:45 AM
is it possible to implement a zoom in/out feature? would really help a lot when i do cropping on tiny netbook screens.

really an excellent software! keep it up!

GeoffC
09-07-2010, 05:35 AM
rayfx :hatsoff:

labmice :hatsoff:

Welcome to mobileread ....

stakats
09-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Many thanks to Gerhard / laborg for this excellent software! I've noticed that some of my PDFs won't display in briss, and I wonder whether it's related to OCR. Has anyone found that some PDFs don't display in briss? They can still be cropped, but one has to guess where the desired area might be.

laborg
09-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Hi stakats!
Many thanks to laborg for this excellent software! I've noticed that some of my PDFs won't display in briss, and I wonder whether it's related to OCR. Has anyone found that some PDFs don't display in briss? They can still be cropped, but one has to guess where the desired area might be.

I'm going to look into this very soon. Thanks for you bug submit on sourceforge.

Best regards,
laborg

GeoffC
09-13-2010, 05:28 AM
stakats :hatsoff:

Welcome to mobileread ....

luma
09-23-2010, 02:28 AM
I've been using soPDF command line tool for a while now and only just bothered to figure out how this tool works- it's bloody fantastic! good job!

Is there a way to zoom in?

rayfx
09-23-2010, 06:08 AM
I've been using soPDF command line tool for a while now and only just bothered to figure out how this tool works- it's bloody fantastic! good job!

Is there a way to zoom in?
yup! would definitely love a feature to zoom in/out!

GeoffC
09-23-2010, 06:53 AM
magnifying glass ?

c861556
09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
What a great tool. Thank you!

da_jane
09-27-2010, 10:40 PM
I can't get this to work. I have PDFs that have page numbers and headers. I want to use Briss to hard crop that information out so that the conversion using Calibre is cleaner, but every time I draw a box that looks right, my final version ends up with the edges of text cut off. I can't make a box big enough around my content so that it all shows up.

What am I doing wrong?

laborg
09-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Hi da_jane!

This could be due to the fact that the pages with the same size will be merged and if for example a single page has some extra lines extending the "normal" page area this extra lines will be very transparent and hence not easily recognizable on the merged image. This is sometimes the case with scanned pdfs.
OR
its a bug. In this case I would ask you to send me the pdf to gerhardtt@gmx.at and I will have a look at it.

Greetings,

GeoffC
09-29-2010, 12:40 PM
^^^^^^
Do you really mean to post your email address ????

laborg
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
More spam on this address doesn't worry me...

GeoffC
09-29-2010, 01:12 PM
okay .... just checking :2thumbsup

laborg
10-01-2010, 02:03 PM
hi!

Just release version 0.0.10. From the changelog:
* fixed issure where a trim or bleed box would influence the cropping behaviour
* smaller file size through newer libraries
* itext
* jpedal

More functionality will follow in future releases, although there's now real road map available.

best regards,
Gerhard

aquawater
10-02-2010, 03:45 AM
Thanks.. great tool. I do not have to install bloated ADobe Acrobat.

I hope you can add some setting for us to control the brightness of the cluster or preview pages. Or maybe help us to find the border - find the maximum width that can be cropped without losing any text..something like that would be coool.

frabjous
10-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks.. great tool. I do not have to install bloated ADobe Acrobat.

I hope you can add some setting for us to control the brightness of the cluster or preview pages. Or maybe help us to find the border - find the maximum width that can be cropped without losing any text..something like that would be coool.

This would be a nice feature, though there are other ways of accomplishing that. E.g., you could use e.g., sopdf or a combination of ghostscript and calibre. You could even use those a in batch file that autocrops all the PDFs in a folder. Some instructions here (http://www.charlietanksley.net/philtex/reading-pdfs-on-portables/#crop).

jackie_w
10-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Some instructions here (http://www.charlietanksley.net/philtex/reading-pdfs-on-portables/#crop).

Interesting article - thank you.

However, it has inadvertently resurrected a bug-bear I raised earlier in this thread. When I use Briss my screen looks like the first image below. What I would prefer is for it to look like the second image which I (shamelessly) lifted from the referenced PDF cropping article. Can I do this? If so, how? Am I doing something wrong?:blink::help:

I'm using Windows XP and my screen resolution is 1920x1200.

laborg
10-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi jackie_w!

This might sound stupid but what is the problem with the looks of the first screenshot? Except the yellow misplaced help text it doesn't look to bad to me. The only thing i can think of which might bother you is the extra scrolling....

greetings,
gerhard

jackie_w
10-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks for quick reply, Gerhard. Two things really.

1. I can't get both odds & evens on screen at the same time.

2. When trying to split each page in half the second layout helps me to match boxes 3/4 to boxes 1/2 when I draw them. I know I can use the maximise buttons but I often end up with all 4 boxes being slightly too big.

I know I'm probably being nit-picky but now I've seen the layout others have I WANT IT TOO! :)

Edit: Strike Item 1, it's rubbish!

frabjous
10-02-2010, 05:44 PM
The PDF from my screenshot was had two facing pages scanned on to on the same page of the PDF, which was laid out landscape. It's not showing multiple PDF pages side-by-side. It's just that my PDF is a different kind of document than yours.

I suppose you could use a PDF 2-up program to combine the pages, then load them into BRISS. What's your operating system?

jackie_w
10-02-2010, 06:20 PM
The PDF from my screenshot was had two facing pages scanned on to on the same page of the PDF, which was laid out landscape. It's not showing multiple PDF pages side-by-side. It's just that my PDF is a different kind of document than yours.

Oh, now I'm disappointed (and feeling a little foolish) :smack: I thought your layout was exactly how I wanted mine to look.

I'm using Windows XP, but I think I'd rather stick with existing look&feel than do 2 PDF transformations and any extra complications which may arise. My knowledge of the inner workings of PDF format and features is pretty limited. Thank you for trying to help, though.

Briss is still a great little utility - despite the "Brazilian wax" look.

frabjous
10-02-2010, 09:00 PM
It's been awhile since I used Windows, but creating a 2-up PDF shouldn't require any rocket science. Some great (free/open source) software you might want to know about anyway is pdfcreator (http://www.pdfforge.org/). This works as a virtual printer. You "print" to it from any application and it yields a PDF. If memory serves you can tell it how many pages of the output you want per page of the generated PDF. If you choose two, you'd get something like what appears in my screenshot. (You can also choose four or six, etc.) So you can create 2-ups from any application. (And if you already have a single-page PDF, you can print that PDF to PDFCreator to create a new 2-up one.)

aquawater
10-03-2010, 10:18 PM
This would be a nice feature, though there are other ways of accomplishing that. E.g., you could use e.g., sopdf or a combination of ghostscript and calibre. You could even use those a in batch file that autocrops all the PDFs in a folder. Some instructions here (http://www.charlietanksley.net/philtex/reading-pdfs-on-portables/#crop).

Thanks for introducing soPDF.. I will try it later...although personally prefer some GUI :p

To laborg.. here is my wish list..
1. Provides a hint or grid lines that get the actual boundary box and encompasses all content
2. Retain PDF page numbering.. some pdf start page 1 with i, ii, ... and it will be helpful for navigating to pages according to its TOC

playful
10-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Cool!...

On another thread, I just posted my looooong roundabout method to crop multiple columns using Acrobat Pro and Lupas rename... LOL... Can't wait to try BRISS, downloading it now.

Cheers,

Andy

playful
10-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Update:
Just used it... Can I say WOW!!!... :)

Isn't BRISS the best thing since Calibre...
Which was the best thing since Kindle...
Which was the best thing since sliced bread!...

b0ring
10-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I've been searching for ways of making a two-column PDF readable on my Kindle and this appears promising but I was wondering if there's a way to stop it from bundling all the pages together as it often "guesses" incorrectly. I want to convert academic papers and these often have the title across the top with the two columns under it. Briss tends to (in every attempt I've made) put this in with regular two column pages.

I've included a screenshot so you can see what I'm experiencing. In fact, in this shot there's also some other text you can see running between the two columns. Am I doing something wrong or expecting the impossible?

playful
10-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Hey bO...

If every page is like that, wow, what a file!...
Looks like a custom Acrobat job to me. Yay, Adobe's back in business.

Smiles,

Andy

woggy
10-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Perhaps an ability to exclude some pages from the clustering process would work nicely, so they can be cropped separately. Could be something simple, like entering the page numbers you want to exclude in a text box before the clustering process is started. Or maybe give an option to let the user see see all the pages at once, ticking off the ones they want to exclude before clustering? Fantastic tool by the way! Clustering all the pages together was a clever idea.

laborg
10-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi!

I'm planning to integrate such a exclude list soon (will not be much work)...

Thx for your input,
Gerhard

b0ring
10-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm planning to integrate such a exclude list soon (will not be much work)..

Do you plan on having the excluded pages to still be croppable (that's a word, right?) in their own unique layouts, or will they just be ignored completely by the program?

And thanks for the ridiculously fast reply!

laborg
10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
If a page is going to be excluded it would still be croppable...

laborg
10-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I released version 0.0.11

From the changelog:
* Exclude pages from merging
* Merged blocks are now sorted according to their lowest page number
* Faster scrolling (mouse)
* Fixed an issue where huge pages would cause BRISS to crash

Have fun,
Laborg

playful
10-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Laborg,

You are a god!

I really appreciate what BRISS does and what you do by making it... :)
A couple years ago I had scanned a book so that I could travel a bit lighter.
It was two pages to a scan, so it was too small to read on Kindle DX.
Now with BRISS, it looks beautiful.

Thank you so much.

Wishing you a beautiful week,

Andy

Nexutix
10-11-2010, 08:38 AM
OMG! Briss solved all my problems of columned textbooks... no more zoom-in-zoom-out-page-turn repeats.

Thanks to briss and poster. :thanks:

Edit: I would love to see one feature: Automatic rotating cropped page when it is "landscape cropped part of page" and saving succh pages as rotated pages in cropped file.

kidblue
10-12-2010, 01:00 AM
I thought BRISS was exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately, I'm getting a crazy error with JAVA on my iMac - It won't "launch" ("Java JAR file won't launch"). I'm running OS X 10.5 (last version), Java 1.5.0_24-149. Console.app says a whole bunch of "class errors". Weirdly enough, one of the files within the BRISS folder (jpedal) will open, allow a PDF to be opened and that's it... Thoughts?

laborg
10-12-2010, 03:42 AM
Hi!

iMac - It won't "launch" ("Java JAR file won't launch"). I'm running OS X 10.5 (last version), Java 1.5.0_24-149. Console.app says a whole bunch of "class errors". Weirdly enough, one of the files within the BRISS folder (jpedal) will open, allow a PDF to be opened and that's it... Thoughts?

Could you post your start command? And please post those class errors.

thx,
laborg

kidblue
10-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Below is a smattering of what I get trying to launch "briss-0.0.11.jar" from the Finder (from Desktop, within its original folder). The unzipped folder contains a handful of JAR applications, and surprisingly, the actual BRISS application is only 28k. JPEDAL does open as a Java application, but that's all from the folder. I've confirmed this on two different computers, both in and out of "safe mode" in addition to downloading older versions of BRISS to the same avail. These are stock OS X machines. Simply downloading, unzipping and opening briss-0.0.11.jar results in a "non-launch". If it's been tested on OS X (and I've tried on Leopard and Tiger, 10.4/5), I'm obviously doing something wrong launching the sucker...

I'm super-excited about BRISS and I really want to try it!

Thanks for the detective work.

Console log:
10/12/10 7:11:57 AM [0x0-0x73073].com.apple.JarLauncher[592] SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for long ID 0 (pBase = 0x10013f050, p = 0x10013f054, pEnd = 0x10013f058)
10/12/10 7:11:57 AM [0x0-0x73073].com.apple.JarLauncher[592] SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for long ID 0 (pBase = 0x10012a5f0, p = 0x10012a5f4, pEnd = 0x10012a5f8)
10/12/10 7:12:09 AM [0x0-0x73073].com.apple.JarLauncher[592] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: at/laborg/briss/Briss
10/12/10 7:12:09 AM [0x0-0x73073].com.apple.JarLauncher[592] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: at/laborg/briss/Briss
10/12/10 7:25:48 AM [0x0-0x93093].com.apple.JarLauncher[652] Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java :676)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Secure ClassLoader.java:124)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader .java:260)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader. java:56)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 195)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:188)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 17)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:280)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 52)
10/12/10 7:27:17 AM [0x0-0x95095].com.apple.JarLauncher[661] at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoade r.java:375)

elevenbulls
10-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I've had similar problems to the last two posters launching Briss with OS X. I just tried launching it through Terminal, using the instructions within the Read Me. At first all I got was a message saying "Unable to access jarfile briss-0.0.10.jar" (I tried .10 and .11, changing the command for each). When I dragged just the Briss .jar file into my main directory, I got this different string below:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java :676)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Secure ClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader .java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader. java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 17)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:280)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:2 52)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoade r.java:375)

Very eager to use Briss - any help is greatly appreciated.

kidblue
10-12-2010, 01:34 PM
To the above poster: I'm feeling like you and I are experiencing the same situation. It has run on plenty of OS X machines, so it's got to be an obvious user error in launching on our part, perhaps something with the unzipping. I'm also confused as to the presence and use of the much of other .jar files (one of which launches in my case) within the Briss folder.

laborg
10-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi!

BRiss won't work with java 1.5 at the moment. If I have some time I'll check for the reasons

Best regards,
laborg

elevenbulls
10-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I was able to launch the copy of Briss you attached with no problem, simply by clicking on it. However, after selecting a file to load, it seems to freeze. I've tried twice, let it say "loading PDF" for as long as 20 minutes, but it's never gotten past that. The PDFs I've tried to load are about 120 pages long.

kidblue
10-13-2010, 03:48 AM
Mine is also stuck on "loading PDF", same version/set-up as above. Loading a 100-page, 200k file, not big at all.

kidblue
10-14-2010, 02:33 AM
Anyone have any luck getting the 1.5-optimized version to run?

jackie_w
10-14-2010, 03:30 PM
@kidblue, I've added a possible solution to your screenplay problem in your original Calibre forum post. Just in case it takes a while before BRISS is working on your particular PC config.

Nexutix
10-14-2010, 10:32 PM
"Opting out given pages from merging" option in 0.0.11 is really good.

luma
10-15-2010, 03:13 AM
good job on new release!

kidblue
10-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Crazy question - Is there any way this or another program could "squeeze" a cropped PDF - i.e. make it "skinny" enough but then "longer" to crop? Does that make any sense?

Nexutix
10-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Crazy question - Is there any way this or another program could "squeeze" a cropped PDF - i.e. make it "skinny" enough but then "longer" to crop? Does that make any sense?

Do you want to make it single page and single column "very very long" pdf? So you don't need to turn the pages? Am I getting you right?

kidblue
10-17-2010, 04:00 AM
Yup. What I'd really like to do is take a formatted, text-based PDF and "squeeze" it so yes, it would be longer. More importantly, it would extend the length of the page but allow the margins to be maintained.

frabjous
10-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure I understand. In the process, do you want it to stretch out all the letters, and make them taller than the font's letters usually are relative to the width? Wouldn't that look kind of funny?

kidblue
10-17-2010, 02:28 PM
It would look funny, but it would retain formatting, which I would prefer. I'm trying to read screenplays, in which dialogue is center-justified but description and scene-headings are normal, left-justified. I'd like to "squeeze" the page to the width of my Kindle, even if it stretches, because the dialogue really wouldn't affected. This making any sense?

hupple
10-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Did I do something wrong, Briss only keep the content of Bookmarks, but lost the links of Bookmarks. I can see the bookmarks but if you click one, nothing happened.

frabjous
10-17-2010, 06:16 PM
It would look funny, but it would retain formatting, which I would prefer. I'm trying to read screenplays, in which dialogue is center-justified but description and scene-headings are normal, left-justified. I'd like to "squeeze" the page to the width of my Kindle, even if it stretches, because the dialogue really wouldn't affected. This making any sense?

I know how to do that with the pdfpages (http://ctan.org/pkg/pdfpages) package for pdflatex; some samples are attached. This might be kind of involved for someone who doesn't already know LaTeX, and quite a lot of software to install for so simple a task if this is all you were using it for. If you know what you're doing, it could be scripted, though.

So, see the samples. Basically, I created stretch.pdf by creating a TeX document with the following code:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\begin{document}
\includepdf[pages=-,width=3in,height=6in,fitpaper]{normal.pdf}
\end{document}

Put it in the same folder as normal.pdf and ran pdflatex on the code.

Obviously you would need to change the width and height to the dimensions of the Kindle screen, which I don't know offhand.

A lot of tweaking would have to be done to ensure that things like metadata were preserved.

It might also be possible to do something like this with Inkscape or Ghostscript, but again, probably not in a user-friendly, straightforward way. If you really wanted to discuss it further, however, let's create a new thread on the idea, and not hijack the BRISS thread. (I wouldn't recommend adding this feature to BRISS...)

kidblue
10-17-2010, 06:28 PM
New thread started. (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1167242)

harikamboji
10-18-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm also trying to get Briss to work on a mac. Same issue as previous posters. Double clicking the file briss-0.0.11.jar results in nothing happening. Opening from within the terminal gives the above listed errors.

Note that you can use the Preview application to crop pdfs, but it increases the file size. This is mainly the reason I'm interested in Briss.

Thanks!

kidblue
10-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Upgrading to Snow Leopard (10.4) made it rock and roll. I guess it just needs that current version of Java.

laborg
10-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi harikamboji!

BRISS doesn't work with java 1.5. If it is somehow possible for you to upgrade to java 6 I would suggest you to do so, otherwise I can't guarantee that you are going to be able to use BRISS in the near future...

greetings,

harikamboji
10-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks laborg. Turns out my mac running leopard had Java 1.6 installed but it was set to run Java 1.5 by default. I had to change the order of the versions using "Java preferences" from the Utilities folder. Now it works! This page was very helpful:
http://www.javatester.org/version.html

Anyhow, as many people have undoubtedly told you, Briss is fantastic. Great idea superimposing all the even pages and odd pages against each other. Awesome!!

kidblue
10-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Is there a way to NOT superimpose all the pages and/or examine each page of a multi-page document?

Nexutix
10-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Is there a way to NOT superimpose all the pages and/or examine each page of a multi-page document?

Easy one! From briss 0.0.11 version, you can exclude pages from being superimposed. If you want pages not to be superimposed, add all pages when it asks the dialog after loading PDF.

Well, you can copy paste the numbers upto required from attachment.(to save you from typing)

andyh2000
10-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Easy one! From briss 0.0.11 version, you can exclude pages from being superimposed. If you want pages not to be superimposed, add all pages when it asks the dialog after loading PDF.

Well, you can copy paste the numbers upto required from attachment.(to save you from typing)

I thought you could type "1-500".

Andrew

Nexutix
10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
I thought you could type "1-500".

Andrew

You can, but think if you want to drop more than 10 pages which are not in a sequence, then you could do it fast:

1. Know which are to be dropped.
2. Paste this strip.
3. Delete unwanted pages.

Now if I do like waht you say, you will have to form the "X-Y" phrases and type them all in. It will take more time; won't it? :p Pressing delete 10 times is lot easier.

baccilus
10-24-2010, 01:30 AM
I just tried Briss and I must say it is a wonderful piece of software. It really helps in reading PDF's on my 6" Kindle 3. Thank you so much for this.

theduder
10-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm trying to crop the even and odd pages of my book to be the same size. I drew two rectangles in BRISS, selected both of them and then clicked the maximize height, then maximize width buttons.

The resulting crop regions look the same (see http://i.imgur.com/K6Cm6.png), but the even and odd pages in the output PDF have slightly different widths (maybe also heights, see http://i.imgur.com/WZFnu.png).

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

seol1500
10-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for a great great programme!

I would like to make few suggestions to make this beautiful program even better ;
some E-books I own, have different format on some of the pages i.e. when it has diagrams, pictures, or in a new chapter.

They tend to occupy much more margin than any other pages therefore, when I make all the selected rectangles same width/height, normal pages looks too small in Kindle 3. While inputting exclusion pages numbers could solve this problem, it arises another problem by having me to know all the page numbers. This is especially difficult to solve when book is >=500 pages long.

So I believe by implementing some AI would solve this problem nicely, these are the two methods you could consider :

First method:
When input file is given, BRISS automatically analyses all the pages, and separates them.
con
1. Loading problem, could be avoided if BRISS asks the user about this option beforehand.
2. Cannot exclude some regions such as page number - this tends to be near the far front/end of the page. Resulting some anomalies.

Second method:
User loads up input file and draw two boxes (A) region you want to crop, (B) region you want to exclude BRISS to analyse. Then BRISS find any texts/colours outside the region (A) excluding the ones in (B) and separate those pages into new ones. User repeats until no pages left.
con.
This feature might also requires 'undo' function.

Finally include batch processing option so that user could open multiple PDF files to crop and save them separately.

Thanks again for a great program, I owe you a lot (saves time & money)
Would you ever consider putting a donation page, I would definitely support you.
Chris.

flyash
10-28-2010, 11:42 AM
laborg, I love the 'exclude from merging' feature in 0.11. :thanks:

One feature suggestion related to the excluded pages: It would be nice to be able to tell BRISS to merge certain excluded pages as its own cluster. For example, let's say I exclude the following pages: cover, copyright page, table of contents (can be multiple pages for large books), chapter title pages, glossary pages.

Currently BRISS will show each of the excluded pages separately, and that requires a lot of cropping. It would be great if we could tell BRISS to merge certain pages as its own cluster. So we could have a table of contents cluster, a chapter title cluster, a glossary cluster, etc. This would dramatically reduce the cropping (i.e., box drawing) required. And of course BRISS is already set up to auto merge all non-excluded pages, so that part would remain unaffected.

Nexutix
10-31-2010, 05:07 AM
Where are attached builds? I can't get briss running from the zip downloaded from sourceforge. How do I run briss from that zip in windows? Thanks in advance.

Nexutix
10-31-2010, 09:05 AM
:thanks:

jackie_w
10-31-2010, 10:35 AM
There may be other ways, but I've unzipped the .zip, placed the directory in "C:\Program Fiiles" and added a bat file RunBriss.bat, containing just one line.
java -jar briss-0.0.11.jar

laborg
10-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi All!

@theduder:
You're right, this is kind of a bug. This can happen due to different even and odd page sizes (in your example it looks like you have a scanned document which is likely to have variable height/width). The resulting cropped pdf will only have the same height/width if you can assure that the original width/height of different pages in a document are equal.

@seol1500:
This are some interressting thoughts but the big problem I see here is that analysing a pdf like you proposed isn't really possible - finding objects outside a specified region would require some serious image analysis... Nevertheless I want to tackle the image analysis part, because I will need it for automatic determination of crop rectangles (december at the earliest). btw.: donation (https://sourceforge.net/project/project_donations.php?group_id=320676) is possible

@flyash:
Nice idea, I added a feature request on sourceforge.

I'll hope to be able to add a few new features in december,
best regards,
Laborg

andyg2
11-06-2010, 12:07 AM
This tool is excellent but I would love a command line option to add crop boxes

For example:
To crop two boxes from in.pdf and save as out.pdf:

Box 1: 50x100 points with the top left point at 55x 100y and the bottom right point at 105x 200y

Box 2: 280x100 points with the top left point at 120x 200y and the bottom right point at 400x 300y

Example usage:
briss-0.0.10.jar [[source.pdf] [destination] [coordinates] [coordinates] [coordinates] ...]
java -jar briss-0.0.10.jar in.pdf out.pdf 55:100x105:200 120:200x400:300

This would provide both automation and precision to the act of cropping PDFs
I'm sure you've got lots of things to do but please consider adding this functionality.

frabjous
11-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Example usage:
briss-0.0.10.jar [[source.pdf] [destination] [coordinates] [coordinates] [coordinates] ...]
java -jar briss-0.0.10.jar in.pdf out.pdf 55:100x105:200 120:200x400:300

This would provide both automation and precision to the act of cropping PDFs
I'm sure you've got lots of things to do but please consider adding this functionality.

You could do something very similar with the pdfmanipulate crop (http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/cli/pdfmanipulate.html) command line tool that comes with calibre. (True it only lets you do one crop box per page, but you could do it twice and then merge the two results with any number of tools.... perhaps even with pdfmanipulate (merge) itself with the right script. I'm pretty sure I could whip up a bash script for mac/linux for this without too much trouble.)

stakats
11-30-2010, 02:47 AM
Any progress on supporting PDFs with jpeg2000 images (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3002683&group_id=320676&atid=1347952)? Or is there a workaround to convert those PDFs to make them readable? I love briss but am completely stuck with these jpeg2000 PDFs. Many thanks for the great software!

laborg
12-01-2010, 03:27 AM
The Problem is that the JAI.jar (1.1.4) isn't developed and downloadable anymore. Basically I think with JAI.jar it would work very easily...

serige
12-11-2010, 01:38 AM
hi I am getting an exception after my PDF got analysed while creating cluster:1

here is the error message:

C:\Download Data\briss-0.0.11>java -jar briss-0.0.11.jar
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at at.laborg.briss.PDFPageCluster.getPreviewImage(PDF PageCluster.java:13
2)
at at.laborg.briss.MergedPanel.<init>(MergedPanel.java:64)
at at.laborg.briss.Briss$ClusterPagesTask.done(Briss. java:566)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$5.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnab le.run(Unknown Sour
ce)
at sun.swing.AccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnab le.actionPerformed(
Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

My pdf file is around 50MB, I think I can extract a few pages and chop them, but then all the bookmarks would be lost, is the size a problem there?

Edit:
Actually, I got it solved by increasing the memory allocation for java VM :D

laborg
12-11-2010, 06:29 AM
@ sergie: Wasn't aware that such monster pdfs need more memory than default.

Thx, will include this into the readme...

laborg

Naro
01-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Does anybody know why Briss would chop off sections of some pages and not others? When I import a regular pdf file (all the page sizes/formats are the same) I end up getting something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/mJmJp.png

Seanette
01-05-2011, 11:55 PM
What I'm hoping to do is take some two-column PDF e-books I have and reformat them so that Calibre can convert to ePub and get decent results (I'm not a perfectionist, all I ask is readability).

Suggestions for doing this?

frabjous
01-06-2011, 12:44 AM
What I'm hoping to do is take some two-column PDF e-books I have and reformat them so that Calibre can convert to ePub and get decent results (I'm not a perfectionist, all I ask is readability).

Suggestions for doing this?

Unfortunately, I don't think BRISS with work for that. BRISS just sets the visible bounding box; it doesn't remove the remainder of the page. So Calibre will still find the "hidden" part of the page, and if you split the columns, you'll just be duplicating everything.

=X=
01-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Does anybody know why Briss would chop off sections of some pages and not others? When I import a regular pdf file (all the page sizes/formats are the same) I end up getting something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/mJmJp.png
You might want to look at soPDF which "smart" trims a page at a time. BRISS just has two trim setting a right page and left page.

=X=

laborg
01-07-2011, 06:16 AM
You might want to look at soPDF which "smart" trims a page at a time. BRISS just has two trim setting a right page and left page.

=X=

In Naros case it's a just a bug (working on that)...

regards,

hort_wort
01-10-2011, 12:22 AM
I just purchased the complete Star Trek comic book collection. I wanted to crop it and put it on my nook, and your program seems the way to go! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for these files because they're secured pdfs. :angry: DRM always screwing me up, grumble grumble....

Is there a way that I can get Briss to do its thing anyway? As is, it produces a blank pdf file after I enter the output filename. I mean, I could cheat and just print the file and send it to a "pdf printer", but that's such a hassle.

frabjous
01-10-2011, 01:23 AM
I mean, I could cheat and just print the file and send it to a "pdf printer", but that's such a hassle.

How big of a hassle is it? In the time it took to write that message, you could have done it four times over, at least.

hort_wort
01-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Well, I tried printing it on bullzip pdf and it got stuck. :( This collection contains hundreds of comics, every time I need to take an extra 2 minutes for another step, it adds up fast.

pdflrf managed to do it's stuff okay, but then I'd have to convert from lrf to epub. Processing time per file that way was ~10 minutes and the file size ended up being 8x what it had to be.

I'm not pointing it out to be a jerk, I was thinking that a program designed to work with these files should be able to work with these files. :blink:

laborg
01-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Is there a way that I can get Briss to do its thing anyway? As is, it produces a blank pdf file after I enter the output filename.

Does BRISS render your DRM pdf correctly? I must confess I've never thought about supporting DRM and therefore can't say how much effort it would be to include.

best regards,

frabjous
01-10-2011, 10:54 AM
It might have got stuck in BullZip because of the DRM. (Or are we talking merely password protection, here? I'd be very surprised of PDFLRF could handle DRMed PDFs.)

Are you doing nothing but cropping whitespace? If so, then with all due respect to BRISS, which I love, it's not the right tool for the job if you have a lot of files to process, and you're only removing whitespace. Assuming the DRM isn't a hindrance (which it might be), you could use SoPDF or a combination of Calibre and Ghostscript inside a batch file to auto-crop all the PDFs in a folder with a single command. (Let me know if you need details.)

(Keep in mind also that calibre can batch convert LRF to ePub.)

Do you know exactly what kind of DRM this is? Is it just password protection?

hort_wort
01-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Does BRISS render your DRM pdf correctly? I must confess I've never thought about supporting DRM and therefore can't say how much effort it would be to include.

Well, I click "crop pdf", then I give it a filename. When I push "save", it immediately switches to trying to open the pdf file to show me the result... which is a totally blank file aside from the same. The size is 0 bytes. I repeat the same steps on a more friendly pdf, and the result looks great, truly a great program....

It might have got stuck in BullZip because of the DRM. (Or are we talking merely password protection, here? I'd be very surprised of PDFLRF could handle DRMed PDFs.)

Are you doing nothing but cropping whitespace? If so, then with all due respect to BRISS, which I love, it's not the right tool for the job if you have a lot of files to process, and you're only removing whitespace. Assuming the DRM isn't a hindrance (which it might be), you could use SoPDF or a combination of Calibre and Ghostscript inside a batch file to auto-crop all the PDFs in a folder with a single command. (Let me know if you need details.)

(Keep in mind also that calibre can batch convert LRF to ePub.)

Do you know exactly what kind of DRM this is? Is it just password protection?

I attached the readout on the security. It says it allows printing, so I figured sending it to a printer driver would be okay -- no such luck. I might try another, cutepdf perhaps.

These comics need more work than just getting out white space. Primarily, I have to split the columns apart so I stand a chance of actually reading them. PDFLRF was the only column splitter I found that could pull it off at all. Some of the pages are different sizes though and the results were not so good.

Hmmm I might try SoPDF again though. I was trying several programs and ignored that one because it required me to actually think. :smack:
<--- is GUI lazy
edit: Looks like SoPDF doesn't split columns, not for me, anyway.

frabjous
01-10-2011, 12:48 PM
If you want to try another virtual printer, I'd go for an open source option like PDFCreator (http://en.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator). Nagware and adware is annoying.

Yeah, if you need to split columns, it gets more complicated, and BRISS is usually what I would use. If the dividing line is right in the middle, maybe there would be other possibilities. I'd have to think about it. But you can't really batch-process if you need to enter passwords anyway.

hort_wort
01-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Hmmm after further experimenting with different pdf viewers and printers, I've decided that these files are *very* unfriendly. I'm feeling lucky I can open the things at all. :rolleyes: I have a feeling the pdflrf is gonna be the best thing I can do, hopefully I can knock down the conversion time with tweaking.

So to laborg, don't worry about this issue. These files are doomed to screw everything up until I march to adobe with a pitchfork and get them to stop borking their files with drm. :xmas:

Thanks for the attention, guys. :2thumbsup

hort_wort
01-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Whew! Okay, I found a solution for what I can do! :bulb2:

The trick is to convert from PDF to CBZ first! Once it's in cbz format, then calibre can convert it! I end up with a watermark, but I don't mind that. There is a comic converter for that here:
http://www.jontylovell.net

It isn't a perfect solution, the converter produces a 100MB CBZ from a 10MB PDF, so it's slow and takes a lot of room. But the resulting EPUBs for my nook in the end are only 3MB. Even better, these programs both handle batch operations, so I can throw a hundred in at a time and let it run overnight.
:dtw:

So anyway, I know this has nothing to do with Briss, but I figured someone else might have the same issue later and would want to know a solution.

heychadwick
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi All. I've been recommended this program for what I want to do (cropping .pdf's for a smaller e-reader). I'm a Windows Vista user. I'm not a programmer. I don't know java. I'm good with OS and functions, but not with the few instructions I have seen on the web.

How do I launch the app?

Thanks!

jackie_w
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
@heychadwick,

I use Windows XP, I don't know whether this is the best way but it works for me. Create a one-line .bat file containing
java -jar briss-0.0.11.jar
which you can double-click to run.

heychadwick
01-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks!

Hmmm.....I created it via notepad and saved it .bat. The icon looks right (meaning Windows associates it appropriately). I double click on it. I get a quick command line screen flash. Nothing.

I don't need to put it anywhere special, right?

laborg
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't need to put it anywhere special, right?

Your .bat must reside in the same directory as briss. Did you unzip it? Btw. Do you have java installed (type "java -version" into the command line and paste the output into this thread)?

regards,

heychadwick
01-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Putting the .bat in the folder with the rest of Briss doesn't change anything.

I type in "java -version" from the cmd line, but it doesn't know it.

I google "java install windows" and get to the java page to install it. I click on the auto install button. It says I already have java installed:

"You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 23)."

laborg
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Could you try version 0.0.12? I've added a briss.exe for the windows users.

regards,

heychadwick
01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
The new version with the .exe did the trick! I thank you for adding that.

I have a question, though. How can I delete pages? I have a .pdf that is 60 pages or so. I really only want to crop some of it up to fit in my small screen e-reader. As far as I can see, I can't see a way to get rid of pages that I don't want. Is there?

laborg
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Deleting pages is not possible with Briss. Therefore other tools can be used, i guess...

jackie_w
01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
@laborg,
I only just noticed your new 0.0.12 release. I've just tried using briss.exe on my Windows XP PC. I really like the new interface. Now I can see odds and evens side-by-side with no problem. I also love the Preview option.

Keep up the good work, it's much appreciated. :2thumbsup

A couple of things for your consideration, which I think would be nice to have are:

When you have a box selected, the ability to "nudge" it slightly in a single direction (up, down, right, left), using the arrow keys. I find fine tuning with a mouse quite difficult.

Similarly, the ability to zoom in on a box, again so you can fine tune better.

laborg
01-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Thx for the very nice appreciation jackie_w! ;-)

Nudging can be provided. Zooming is rather difficult, but at the moment I work a lot on creating a better suited merging algorithm (not just the simple averaging of pages) which will allow an easier visual recognition of the areas where text and therefore information is located.

btw. automatic cropping and command line function is already implemented in my development, so stay tuned for 0.0.13!

greetings,

Nexutix
01-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Congratulations laborg! Briss is featured on Lifehacker blog! Many congratulations.

http://lifehacker.com/5744899/briss-trims-pdfs-to-make-them-more-readable-on-your-e+reader

Tuba
02-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I have been searching for something like this for a long time. Can't wait to get home and try it out. And the name is awesome.

EDIT - Tried it at home. Worked perfectly!

sunwillsetforyou
02-11-2011, 04:38 AM
I have little confusing in this converting PDF to PDF

Firstly, I tried to crop my scan textbook, so it works but I mention that someone says it's not work when convert to ePub or mobi. It's not "hard" chopping

So, finally after converted you have to put it directly to your eReader?

Please make me clear this, sorry for very poor english

Phil

jackie_w
02-11-2011, 05:58 AM
I have little confusing in this converting PDF to PDF

Firstly, I tried to crop my scan textbook, so it works but I mention that someone says it's not work when convert to ePub or mobi. It's not "hard" chopping

So, finally after converted you have to put it directly to your eReader?

The idea is that Briss can crop and chop the original PDF to create a PDF which will be easier to read on your ereader as a PDF, i.e. don't convert it to epub, mobi.

sunwillsetforyou
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
The idea is that Briss can crop and chop the original PDF to create a PDF which will be easier to read on your ereader as a PDF, i.e. don't convert it to epub, mobi.

Thanks, but not all PDF will works right?
It seems some PDF only cut the white space, image is still not speard

jackie_w
02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Oh, I see, I haven't tried it on scanned PDFs so I'm not sure what happens with them.

slex
02-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Feature suggestion:

Save and open templates.

It would be useful when there are series of papers formatted in the same way, which means they can be cropped in the same way.

JimmyMcV
02-19-2011, 11:15 AM
I’m trying to use Briss to crop out the margins out of screenplays, but I can’t for the life of me get it to crop both even and odd pages.

Here's a link to a sample screenplay:
http://www.raindance.org/site/scripts/127_Hours.pdf (http://www.raindance.org/site/scripts/127_Hours.pdf)

1) I load the document in Briss.
What appears are 2 pages- I think the first are odd number pages, and the second are the evens.

2) I draw a rectangle around the 1st page. A “1″ appears on the shading.

3) But when I draw a rectangle around the 2nd page, another “1″ appears. How do I get it to change to “2″? I draw a second rectangle. It creates a 2, but the original “1″ is still there and I can’t erase it without erasing the “2″ first. How do I erase the “1″ on the second page?

Or, how do I get a “2″ label on on my even page number crop but not “1″?
Does this make sense?

So far, I can get Briss to crop odd pages...or I can get it to crop both even and odd pages, but it duplicates both...so every page is duplicated.

What am I doing wrong?

jackie_w
02-19-2011, 01:37 PM
I could be wrong but I think the "big 1s and 2s" signify how many crop boxes you have specified for that set of pages. So a simple whitespace crop will display 1 for the odds pages and 1 for the evens pages.

If you wanted to split each odd page into a top-half and a bottom-half then you would see a box 1 and a box 2 on the odds pages. It would be similar if you had a two-column PDF. You would draw two boxes for each page and they would be labelled 1 and 2. And a 3-column PDF you would draw 3 boxes and they would be labbeled 1, 2 and 3.

frabjous
02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
For that document, I don't see any reason to use BRISS; why not use a method that will auto-calculate the crop region for you, so you don't need to manually draw it? You could either use sopdf or a combination of Calibre and Ghostscript. See here. (http://www.charlietanksley.net/philtex/reading-pdfs-on-portables/#crop)

DrSnuggles
03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
I've a feature request, could you include an object removal tool?
Sometimes in a pdf there are annoing layers. It's possible to remove them by hand with acrobat on every page, but graphical "batch" remove with BRISS would be perfect.

laborg
03-07-2011, 03:26 AM
@drsnuggles
mhm... I'll give it a try, but although it looks like a small change it could be a lot of work...

best regards

DaleDe
03-19-2011, 04:01 PM
I have created a BRISS page on our wiki. Perhaps someone could expand it into a operation manual by adding a section or two.

Dale

laborg
04-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Dear all,

Briss 0.0.13 has been released! (Oh god, with this counting I'll hit 1.0 in thousands years...)

From the Changelog:
* Added automatically crop rectangle calculation
* Updated libraries (itext, jpedal) fixing several problems
* JP2000 support, finally!
* Added hotcorners(upper left and lower right) to resize existing crop rectangles
* Providing a single file as argument now directly loads it on startup of Briss (can be handy if you have a shortcut defined like "open with")
* Command line cropping (at the moment just with automatic crop algorithm, see Readme for instructions)
* Better visualization of merged images
* Added possibility to reload pdfs for using other excluded pages while retaining crop rectangles
* Added drag&drop functionality
* Automatically clipping of crop rectangles to visible area
* Copy/paste of crop rectangles between clusters
* Hopefully fixed bug where on Mac the crop rectangles couldn't be deleted

It is available from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/files/

Have fun and contact me if you've got problems,
Laborg

stakats
04-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Wow, thanks for the new release! I like the updated interface, at least since 0.0.10, which was the latest version I had until now. I noticed JP2000 support in your release notes, but PDFs like the one I posted to my bug report last year (3061894) still don't display. Should they now work? Thanks again for this great software.

laborg
04-15-2011, 03:32 AM
Hi!

As you can see in the attachment the file displays properly on my computer. Are you using windows? I didn't run the jp2000 test on windows so this could be the reason.

Update: On my virtual windows xp the blank.pdf from your bug report can be handled without problems. could you run briss from terminal an check if there are any error messages?

best regards,

stakats
04-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm running 10.6.7 and did get a bunch of errors running from the console. It's possible that I've got some non-standard Java stuff installed (perhaps from when I tried to get earlier versions of Briss to work with jp2000 PDFs), but I don't think so. How should I get the error messages to you?

meem
04-17-2011, 02:43 AM
I just started an Wikipedia page for this great application:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briss

I hope to modify and correct the information about it.

DaleDe
04-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I just started an Wikipedia page for this great application:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briss

I hope to modify and correct the information about it.

There is also an entry in our own wiki. BRISS

Dale

laborg
04-18-2011, 03:59 AM
How should I get the error messages to you?

Via pm or with a bug report on sourceforge.

Thx, I'll try to find a virtual mac osx to recreate it...

meem
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
There is also an entry in our own wiki. BRISS
Dale
It's realy better than what I did.
Can you do some enrichment for other wiki ?
Thank you.

DaleDe
04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
It's realy better than what I did.
Can you do some enrichment for other wiki ?
Thank you.

The two wiki's are compatible. You can just edit ours and capture what you want and then paste it into the wikipedia one. They have slightly different requirements so grabbing it all is not necessary.

Dale

frabjous
04-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know whether BRISS is compatible with OpenJDK (http://openjdk.java.net/), or do you need Sun's (Oracle's?) JRE?

laborg
04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
OpenJDK is working well. In fact it's the only development jdk I use...

And: Thank you guys for the wiki entries!

ericchaves
05-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi laborg,

Thanks for this awesome tool!! As other have said already, Briss is by far the best cropping tool I've seeing.

I have a small suggestion for future enhancement of this great tool. Sometimes in the PDF file I got some specific pages that are rotated or have a box larger than the text margin (usually with Infograph or something like that). When the cropping is done either we end up with a lot of pages having a larger margin or some content is lost. It would be nice if we could select/inform a list of pages to be cropped individually. Not sure if this is possible.

I'm attaching an example of a merged PDF that illustrate the problem.

Once again, thanks for this great software.

bobcdy
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Today I tried Briss 13 for the first time: cropped two pdf files. Both appeared perfect in every way when viewed with adobe acrobat on the pc, but when transferred to my ereaders (bebook one and sony prs950) one showed correctly, but the other was completely blank on both readers. I even tried on the computer to resave with Adobe Acrobat 9 but didn't help. I tried recropping the original file but again it showed blank when moved to the ereaders. I've attached the offending file, and wondered if anyone has suggestions about how to solve this problem?

(I tried the original uncropped pdf file and it did not show on the ereaders either)

laborg
06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi!

I tried your file on a bookeen cybook and while opening an error message showed up. What happens if you load the original file on to your ebook reader? Does it show up as expected?

best regards,
laborg

frabjous
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
(I tried the original uncropped pdf file and it did not show on the ereaders either)

The problem is clearly not with BRISS then.

I tried converting your file to PostScript and back, and it wound up over 100 MB in size. There's some kind of funky compression in it, I think.

If I can upload the result here I will,but I don't think I can. (Nah, I'm limited to 20 MB...)

JSWolf
06-01-2011, 08:18 PM
You do know that calling PDF cropping software BRISS can be considered rather offensive to some.

bobcdy
06-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the input on the pdf file; I downloaded another version of the book and it worked fine. For now I'll just delete the bad file; even though it seems to work fine with adobe acrobat, there must be something wrong with it.
Bob

Kluyg
06-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Really great software! Thanks a lot!
It could be even greater if it supports not only "exclude pages" list but allow user to create groups of pages. I mean:
I have a document, which has very big margins in pages 2-300 and small margins in pages 301-500. I create two groups in Briss: 1) 2-300, 2) 301-500. Then Briss makes 4 separate merged previews: for even pages from group 2-300, for odd pages from group 2-300, for even pages from group 301-500 and for odd pages from group 301-500.
Found bug:
Bookmarks doesn't work, after crop :( Is it a known issue? I can send the PDF which has working bookmarks before crop and nonworking - after crop.

DiapDealer
06-03-2011, 09:30 AM
You do know that calling PDF cropping software BRISS can be considered rather offensive to some.
Only a fool takes offense where no offense was intended.

goofy
06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi,

first let me say that I really like Briss, it's really cool! :thanks:
I prefer the command line version, since I have a lot of files to be cropped (usually 2 column scientific papers).
As I want to read them on my Kindle (with a 6' screen) I would really appreciate an option to automatically crop each page into 4 pages (such that a 2 column paper will be more comfortable to be read). The page order should then be
1 3
2 4
per page. I hope you understand what I mean.

and something else: I just checked out the source and tried to build it with 'mvn clean install'. I get an error saying that the classes pdfReader and Rectangle can not be found. Where can I get them?

Thanks a lot!

laborg
06-29-2011, 03:35 AM
There is an additional developer working on Briss and I guess the trunk can't be built because of this. If I have any free time I want to implement a more sophisticated command line processing, but at the moment I'm looking for a new job so I don't know how much time I can spare.

best regards,
gerhard

goofy
06-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Hi,

thanks for your reply!
I know that you do this in your spare time, so no pressure at all! I thought that I might have some time myself to add the feature...

Good luck then with finding a new job. I guess Briss is a good reference (despite it's slightly offensive name ;) ).

Best,
G

angelacat
06-30-2011, 06:02 AM
It seems many people feel good to use Briss although there is some places are not optimal. I vote for it and here is also a hot discussion about it,
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pdf-files-ereaderfriendly-briss/

dubwai
07-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Thanks for awesome program. But 0.13 have regression to 0.12. For pdf that you can find in attachment, if we excluded from merging pages № 1-2;27;158-164;208-215; than BRISS 0.13 freeze and the end of creating merged previews (see screenshot in attachment). In 0.12 this process is normal, and with it I can crop this pdf, but 0.12 is not good in usability then 0.13.

Also will be good, that in future we have able to manually merge exludings. For example in this book pages from 158-164 and 208-215 have same crop filed sizes, but I must manually edit every page from this range, but I think option that merge this range into one will be good.

a.m
07-13-2011, 04:17 PM
I am trying to run the 0.12/0.13 version on Mac OS X 10.4.11 and upon double-clicking am receiving the message:

The jar file "briss-0.0.13.jar" couldn't be launched.
Check the Console for possible error messages.

not sure how to deal with that. I'd be grateful for a bit of help!

xfiles
07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
BRISS is a awesome software!!!

Thanks so much!

arslonga
08-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Crossposted from another forum. Maybe this one reaches a wider audience.

I have just cropped a PDF document with BRISS, but still the supposedly cropped headers and footers will appear when opening the new cropped document with BookDesigner. I was wondering if someone could help with, or at least, explain this issue, since my understanding was that BRISS performs destructive crops. Thank you.

jackie_w
08-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Crossposted from another forum. Maybe this one reaches a wider audience.

I have just cropped a PDF document with BRISS, but still the supposedly cropped headers and footers will appear when opening the new cropped document with BookDesigner. I was wondering if someone could help with, or at least, explain this issue, since my understanding was that BRISS performs destructive crops. Thank you.

No the cropped text is only hidden, not removed. You need something like Acrobat Pro to physically remove hidden text.

khin99
08-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Very nice tool. It worked perfectly the first time I ran the program, the second time an error message popped up that a password is required. I thought it might be due to file corruption and downloaded BRISS again and ran the file. The same message appeared. Any idea how to resolve this?

DaleDe
08-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Very nice tool. It worked perfectly the first time I ran the program, the second time an error message popped up that a password is required. I thought it might be due to file corruption and downloaded BRISS again and ran the file. The same message appeared. Any idea how to resolve this?

Is it a different PDF? The program is trying to tell you that the PDF is password protected.

Dale

khin99
08-23-2011, 01:29 PM
@DaleDe,
It is not the same pdf. It did cross my mind that it could be protected. I will try another pdf. Thanx.

khin99
08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
I have just tried another pdf and it worked, it was awesome. I will have to go thro' the whole thread to grasp all the features. I think I will be using this tool for quite a lot of my pdf files, especially the two column pdfs.

thebmill
10-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Hello,
I've been waiting for a long time for someone to develop something that would allow me to read screenplays on my kindle. While Briss helps remove all the negative space around the script, it still keeps the size intact. For example, I'm looking for something that will crop it down exactly to the dimensions of the kindle so that when I click on "actual size" in the options itll show up exactly right.

Right now, it's set to "fit" and in doing that, I get light, not crisp, text. I feel like with the cropping AND being able to somehow change the actual size/dimensions, this could be the thing I've been looking for!

micione20
10-10-2011, 11:28 AM
is there a way to batch conversion?
thanks

i've already read readme.txt and i know it is possible cmd-able but due to calibre organization in my documents folder, i have tons of pdf sub-divided into folders.

how can i convert all theese pdf with a single command line or a simple script?

micione20
10-10-2011, 12:48 PM
is there a way to batch conversion?
thanks

i've already read readme.txt and i know it is possible cmd-able but due to calibre organization in my documents folder, i have tons of pdf sub-divided into folders.

how can i convert all theese pdf with a single command line or a simple script?

Done and here procedure:

-download a little executable (sysexporter)
-http://windowsxp.mvps.org/searchresults.htm
-obtain a txt with all *.pdf in a root folder
with excel create a list with all command (one per file: java -jar briss-0.0.13.jar -s "C:\Documents and Settings\etc etc etc \etc etc etc.pdf")

done :)

JimmyMcV
10-14-2011, 01:41 AM
How about batch processing on a Mac?

JimmyMcV
10-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Briss and PDF Scissors seem to be where it's at.
http://www.pdfscissors.com/

But I don't know how to automate crop for exact Kindle dimensions. Eye-balling it and dragging a lasso around the text is the only way I know how to use the program. I'd like to have a batch process as well.

howyoudoin
10-14-2011, 04:11 AM
I've managed to crop out the headers from a pdf file, but when I run the cropped pdf file through calibre to convert to .mobi, the resulting file still has the headers in it.

What gives?

DaleDe
10-14-2011, 04:10 PM
I've managed to crop out the headers from a pdf file, but when I run the cropped pdf file through calibre to convert to .mobi, the resulting file still has the headers in it.

What gives?

What gives is that Briss does not remove these items from the file. Instead it sets a window boundary for what gets displayed. What you observed is the expected behavior.

Dale

webaccmf
11-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Use CutePDF to print the file and then Briss to crop :-).

adrar
11-26-2011, 03:46 AM
i would like to thank briss tool creator so much for a very helpful tool , just i have a small problem with few Arabic pdf files , some pdf files canít cropped by press tool and i couldnít find why my question is there any way to fix this problem ?? Thank u very much

I have attached one file as an example