View Full Version : Aldiko for Motorala Droid. Other Suggestions?

rock
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Has anyone used this application?

It works really well, I downloaded a few books from the app and it runs well, and also has the black background and white text option. Only issue I have had is sometimes a page turn will be delayed, but other than that is is great.

I haven't tried to add books myself yet, but going to try this weekend.

Also anyone else know of any good e-reader applications for the Droid?

AnemicOak
04-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Try here...
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60484

I'm currently using Aldiko on my Hero. The only time I have a page turning delay is while it goes to the next chapter of a book.

tmgplc
05-03-2010, 12:04 AM
I have been using Aldiko for about 3 months and personally I think it is the best one out there. I have been able to copy any non-DRM epub books to the import directory on my sd card and simply import the books from Aldiko. I really have not had any problems or complaints and I use this program a lot. BTW you can easily convert any non-drm format to epub using Calibre.

victorgoh
05-04-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm using Aldiko on my HTC Legend. It's a great ebook reader.

I also have PDF Viewer that came pre-installed on the HTC Legend. It has a reformat function to make PDF files display better on the small screen. But it doesn't keep track of where I've read until or a bookmark feature. It's frustrating to track where I've read until using the PDF Viewer.

SpiderMatt
05-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Fortunately, Aldiko is a pretty good app. Unfortunately, it's the only one worth using for ebooks on the Android platform. I think the only one I haven't tried is the eReader app, but I don't like the eReader format.

cbarnett
05-05-2010, 12:32 AM
I use Aldiko and FBReaderJ on my HTC Desire. Both are very nice, and very easy to use. And blindingly fast on my phone. :D

victorgoh
05-05-2010, 07:32 AM
I just found out about the iReader app for viewing txt, chm, palm pdb and mobipocket prc files. Now, I can have my collection of technical ebooks in chm format available on my HTC Legend.

wayrad
05-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I just started using Aldiko yesterday on my shiny new Droid Incredible. :) It seems to work well, but does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of the animation when you turn pages? I'm finding it distracting to have the page slide to the left and a new one slide in...I want the next page now, with no delay. I've been unable to find any way to change that in the settings (which doesn't mean it isn't there - I'm still very unfamiliar with the device).

Also, I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, but I want to try FBreader also. But I can't get it to see any books on my SD card, even though I think I've set up the folder structure according to directions (book inside "Books" folder inside "sdcard" folder). A search indicates that others have had this problem, but I didn't find a solution. :help:

bwaldron
05-05-2010, 06:53 PM
does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of the animation when you turn pages? I'm finding it distracting to have the page slide to the left and a new one slide in...I want the next page now, with no delay. I've been unable to find any way to change that in the settings (which doesn't mean it isn't there - I'm still very unfamiliar with the device).

Under Navigation Settings, set the Page Turn Speed to zero.

wayrad
05-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Under Navigation Settings, set the Page Turn Speed to zero.Got it, thanks! The navigation menu kept opening partially scrolled down and I didn't know that option was there. I'm noticing the same behavior with some other menus - not sure if it's Android or just its implementation on this phone.

cbarnett
05-06-2010, 01:16 AM
My copy of FBReader defaults to keeping its library on /sdcard/Books

Just make sure that directory exists on your SD Card and plonk your epubs inside it. That's all I had to do to find and read them.

wayrad
05-06-2010, 08:13 AM
My copy of FBReader defaults to keeping its library on /sdcard/Books

Just make sure that directory exists on your SD Card and plonk your epubs inside it. That's all I had to do to find and read them.Problem solved! I had tried both /sdcard/Books and /Books, but nothing was working. I also found a post indicating that the problem was with the version at the App Store and the one on the FBReader website would work. It hadn't seemed to do any good when I posted earlier, but last night I noticed a new .FBReader folder inside a top-level Books folder on my card (can't remember if the Books folder had been newly created or if I had just not deleted it after my earlier tests). Anyway, now it's seeing books anywhere in that folder. :D

PS. I just realized - I downloaded FBReader the first time before I bought the card. Obviously it needed to do some setup on the card during installation!

brendanl79
05-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I have both Aldiko and FBReader on my Motorola DROID; they are both 'almost perfect' so I switch between the two.

Both are very responsive for actual reading, which is the most important part, and are almost equally customizable. Their respective bookshelf/library functions have different minor annoyances.

FBReader's easy one-step import (copy books into /sdcard/Books) has a cost: it regenerates the library data every time you call up that screen, and the delay can be unbearable as your library approaches 50-100 books or so. Also it is silly that it can't sort by title.

Aldiko makes you copy your books to an import directory, then press the "Import" button inside the program. A little more cumbersome, but it allows Aldiko to rely on its internal database rather than the much slower filesystem scan that FBReader must do, which means Aldiko's bookshelf loads almost instantly, even though it has all that graphical frou-frou. :-)

I don't really care about being able to browse and get/buy books from within my mobile reading app, but for what it's worth they can both do this now (FBReader as of very recently).

Since FBReader is open source I've been working on a patch so that the library rebuild will only happen when the user requests it. This should make the bookshelf screen load very quickly. Then I just have to add sort-by-title and FBReader will be perfect, then I won't need Aldiko anymore! :-D

wodin
05-07-2010, 02:18 PM
I like FBReader, and use it exclusively. Setting it up (colors, fonts, etc.) is a little more “low level”, but once done its great.

doog_smith
05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi. I was wondering if Alkido can display Adobe-DRM protected material downloaded from public libraries that use Overdrive?

AnemicOak
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi. I was wondering if Alkido can display Adobe-DRM protected material downloaded from public libraries that use Overdrive?

Nope, it can't.

CarolynA
06-23-2010, 06:31 PM
I am very frustrated that I can't import my epub books to my Droid. Aldiko says to copy books to the SD card in the eBooks/import folder, but there is no such folder. I have Astro file manager, and the folders are not there. I actually created such a folder and put books in it, but Aldiko says no books are present on the SD card. Has anyone had this problem? I am getting ready to uninstall.

cbarnett
06-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I don't know why it doesn't work for you...

I have exactly the same directory path on my SD card and Aldiko finds it just fine when importing epubs. I did have to create it myself though. Perhaps you could plug your droid into your PC and look at it there, to make sure the directories are correct?

wodin
06-26-2010, 02:13 PM
I was just browsing the iReader (http://ireader.over-blog.com/) website, and it says the paid version ($1.99) supports Mobipocket and ePub DRM. It's the first Android reader that I've found that does so.

I haven't tried it yet but ...

AnemicOak
06-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I was just browsing the iReader (http://ireader.over-blog.com/) website, and it says the paid version ($1.99) supports Mobipocket and ePub DRM. It's the first Android reader that I've found that does so.

I haven't tried it yet but ...

It does Mobi and eReader DRM, don't know about ePub. I don't see anything on the site about that.

wodin
06-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Here is a short review of iReader (paid version).

I downloaded it from the market, and played with it a little. It has obviously been written by a geek (nothing wrong with that, I’m a geek, and most of my friends are too). The trouble with geeks is that we relate better with gadgets than we do with people. This app needs a people person to work out the interface. Things are a little clumsy, and sometimes not real obvious.

I loaded up a Mobipocket DRM file, entered my PID (yes it supports putting your own multiple PIDs in), and opened the file. Yup it worked! After a few seconds the book was open. I adjusted the font size for my ancient eyeballs, and began reading. The first thing I noticed was that it supports multi touch zooming, and if my eyes get a little tired all I have to do is pinch out and wallah! Bigger text. Pretty cool!

Now the stuff that needs work:

1. No support for background/text color. I like black text on a beige/tan (parchment) background. This is black and white.
2. No choice of fonts, you get san; that’s it.
3. Doesn’t open the last book when you open the app. You have to open it each time. While it tries to remember your page, it misses a little and opens a page or two later.
4. Page turn is either by volume buttons or sliding (scrolling) the page up or down with your finger. FBReader uses finger flicks and turns a whole page. I’m not sure if I like that better or not. Time will tell.
5. As I said in the first paragraph, the interface is a bit rough. This should clean up as revisions are released.

I’m used to de-DRMing books and converting them in Calibre, I’m not sure if the convenience of native DRM support is worth the inconvenience of using less than mature software. I’ll run it for a while and see. One advantage I can see is that I can download DRMed books directly to my EVO without having to go home and convert them. Again, time will tell.

edit. Whoops, tried that and I can't download from Books on Board, it says "Can't determine the file size." Bummer!

As AnemicOak said, eReader, not EPub. As most of my stuff is de-DRMed and converted from Mobi, I still have all of those Mobi files, so it works for me

Lemurion
07-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I find Aldiko is the best overall reader for my Droid - I dropped FBreader because it didn't offer anything I wasn't getting from Aldiko, and I saw no reason for two apps that did exactly the same thing. I have the Kindle and eReader apps too, but I only bother with those for DRM-laden books from their stores.

I'd love to see DRM epub support, but for the moment I'm happy with what I've got.

setherd
07-05-2010, 06:11 PM
I am very frustrated that I can't import my epub books to my Droid. Aldiko says to copy books to the SD card in the eBooks/import folder, but there is no such folder. I have Astro file manager, and the folders are not there. I actually created such a folder and put books in it, but Aldiko says no books are present on the SD card. Has anyone had this problem? I am getting ready to uninstall.

make sure the case is correct. android (based on linux) is case sensitive.

aldiko is my favorite by far on my mytouch 3G 1.2

I did find out that if you split files into large chunks it really slows it down. I set my epubs to 100kb and it does great on this device.

wayrad
07-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Happened to me the first time I tried it, and creating the folders myself didn't work for me either. I think that in my case, part of the problem was that I had no SD card in there when I first installed Aldiko. Reinstalling Aldiko created the folder and things worked fine after that, for the most part. Sometimes I run into books that don't seem visible if I copy them directly to the import folder, but running them through Calibre (add to Calibre, convert epub -> epub, install via Calibre or Bluetooth) generally works.