View Full Version : Tapatalk for this forum

SnakeMM
04-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to add Tapatalk plug-in to this forum. I do not know what kind of system is used by forum but I put the link to this:

http://www.tapatalk.com/en/plugin

It is free and is very comfortable to read forums on android or other system phones. I read a lot of books on my phone so it would be nice if you guys could add possibility to read your forum on phone instead of using web browsers.

Cheers

George
04-29-2010, 10:45 PM
I was just about to start a thread for this myself. I find Tapatalk extremely useful and was surprised this forum was not a part of it.

Alexander Turcic
04-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Thank you for the suggestion, guys. At this moment, we do not feel comfortable installing Tapatalk support at MR, because it requires adding a plethora of 3rd-party server-side scripts, which can add a whole lot of new potential issues (bugs, security). We keep a close eye on it though, and are also evaluating alternatives, which includes improving our mobile site to make it specifically more iPhone/Android-friendly.

SnakeMM
04-30-2010, 05:01 AM
So you tell that is causing a lot of bugs but a lot of forums have already added support for Tapatalk without complaining about any problems. Yesterday polish admin of eksiazki.org add this support in 20 minutes on my request.
But if you do not want to add Tapatalk maybe just prepare separate app for browsing forums like ie.: Engadget.com for mobile phones or something similar cause browsing using Internet browsers is so painfull.

Regards

montsnmags
04-30-2010, 07:34 AM
So you tell that is causing a lot of bugs but a lot of forums have already added support for Tapatalk without complaining about any problems. Yesterday polish admin of eksiazki.org add this support in 20 minutes on my request.
But if you do not want to add Tapatalk maybe just prepare separate app for browsing forums like ie.: Engadget.com for mobile phones or something similar cause browsing using Internet browsers is so painfull.
Regards

You have tried:

http://www.mobileread.mobi

Yes?

DixieGal
04-30-2010, 08:00 AM
You have tried:

Yes?

Marc, why was I not informed of the mobi site? It is perfect for me with the big bold fonts and no distracting graphics. Just nice straight easy-to-read text. Love it!

montsnmags
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Marc, why was I not informed of the mobi site? It is perfect for me with the big bold fonts and no distracting graphics. Just nice straight easy-to-read text. Love it!

Alas, I think directions to it might be "in the small print", perhaps not realising the benefit to those such as yourself with such sight-related difficulties (I certainly hadn't thought of it). Perhaps our friendly hosts and mods might consider that as an unexpected bonus "feature" to highlight?

Cheers,
Marc

SnakeMM
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
You have tried:

Yes?

Yes but first I have to use browser
second it does not look for me good - it's a little bit messed.

That is why I asked for Tapatalk support or separate app.

But anyway I am using www.mobileread.mobi with better results than using normal view.

Jonas777
04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Thank you for the suggestion, guys. At this moment, we do not feel comfortable installing Tapatalk support at MR, because it requires adding a plethora of 3rd-party server-side scripts, which can add a whole lot of new potential issues (bugs, security). We keep a close eye on it though, and are also evaluating alternatives, which includes improving our mobile site to make it specifically more iPhone/Android-friendly.

Didn't I ask for a generic/device-independent API recently? :p

montsnmags
04-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes but first I have to use browser
second it does not look for me good - it's a little bit messed.

That is why I asked for Tapatalk support or separate app.

But anyway I am using www.mobileread.mobi with better results than using normal view.

No worries. Just thought I'd ask as, as you can see above, it's not always known about. I use it on my iPhone when I'm in bed. It keeps me awake too late (or too early) at nights. :)

Cheers,
Marc

HarryT
05-01-2010, 04:04 AM
I find that the normal site work extremely well on the iPhone/iPod Touch in "landscape mode".

montsnmags
05-01-2010, 04:14 AM
I find that the normal site work extremely well on the iPhone/iPod Touch in "landscape mode".

I've both too. The normal site works for me okay, though not "extremely well", in either portrait or landscape. So I tend to gravitate to the mobile site for most of my reading and replying, where I'm just looking for simple text and links to any images/videos embedded. It's good to have options.

Cheers,
Marc

FlorenceArt
05-01-2010, 12:50 PM
You have tried:

Yes?

Thank you for that link Marc. I had forgotten it and I don't think there is any easily found link on the site, which is a shame. I guess I should bookmark it on my iPod.

DaleDe
05-01-2010, 01:42 PM
It is covered in the wiki. Mobile MobileRead with a link from the home page.

Alexander Turcic
05-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Thank you for that link Marc. I had forgotten it and I don't think there is any easily found link on the site, which is a shame. I guess I should bookmark it on my iPod.

We used to auto redirect mobile devices to the mobile MobileRead edition. But the code was buggy and was a big too eager in the redirection - non-mobile devices sometimes got redirected as well. We're planning to clean up the code and than enable it again with the additional option to opt-out of the redirection.

montsnmags
05-01-2010, 11:02 PM
It is covered in the wiki. Mobile MobileRead with a link from the home page.

Is it worthwhile putting an addendum on that page, that "people with vision problems may find Mobile MobileRead's text-focussed simplification conducive to more comfortable forum-browsing"?

(I'm not asking you to do it. I'm just asking if, considering DixieGal's experience, you think it's worthwhile mentioning, perhaps in the "Hints" section of that wiki page?)

Cheers,
Marc

DaleDe
05-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Sure, I think that is a good idea.

montsnmags
05-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Sure, I think that is a good idea.

Thanks, Dale. Done.

edbro
06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
I'd like to add my name to the tapatalk petition. Hopefully, it is still being considered for the future.

I notice that there are now over 4500 forums activated. Unfortunately, this is not one of them.

just_jeepin
09-08-2010, 09:09 AM
I too would love to see this forum on Tapatalk. It's much easier to read on your phone than the mobi site and with Tapatalk you can login and mark boards as read. If other forums (using the same forum software as you do) use Tapatalk and have no problems, then you shouldn't either. Funny that a forum named MobileRead is not very readable on smartphones!

rollercoaster
09-08-2010, 03:19 PM
I would love to see tapatalk integration

hakan42
09-29-2010, 05:58 AM
Actually, I would like to add a +1 for this too. At least on my mobile device (HTC Desire with Android), just launching tapatalk is easier that going through a web browser.

@Alexander: You mentioned potential security / stability issues. Were there any improvements in the tapatalk integration code since last April where you first mentioned your misgivings?

Regards,
Hakan

copyrite
10-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Just posting another Tapatalk vote for consideration :)

Kumabjorn
10-30-2010, 05:07 AM
A little metooism here.
The mobi address isn't bad but tapatalk seems easier.

JeffElkins
11-19-2010, 10:41 PM
+1 for Tapatalk. It's excellent on Android devices.

traycold
12-10-2010, 06:04 AM
+1 for Tapatalk

emt
01-05-2011, 09:11 PM
That you can't put Tapatalk on it - I can't believe that the other 5,000+ forums are as hyper about perceived issues as you seem to be!

GraceKrispy
01-06-2011, 03:16 AM
We used to auto redirect mobile devices to the mobile MobileRead edition. But the code was buggy and was a big too eager in the redirection - non-mobile devices sometimes got redirected as well. We're planning to clean up the code and than enable it again with the additional option to opt-out of the redirection.

I appreciate that it's not automatic (and if it becomes so, there will be an opt-out). There is nothing more annoying to me than not being able to get to the "true" forum and, instead, being redirected.

I prefer the true forum in landscape on the droidx. Of course, I have no idea what tapatalk is, so...

Jcas
01-08-2011, 05:08 AM
I staff on a photography forum with Tapatalk installed and we have not had any probs with it, we were suprised at the number of our members that use it including myself, so i would also like to add to the Tapatalk call... :)

Baldrake
02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
And another +1 for tapatalk :)

iridius
02-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I'd like to mention that I just downloaded Tapatalk and Forum Runner for iPhone, both are great. Forum Runner is another option you could look at but I put my vote in for either one. The mobile site is great thanks, but it's nice to have all forums in one place (for me).

There are about 12,000 forums available via tapatalk (according to their info) Forum runner said like 10,000 I think (I use it for Tech Support forum mostly).

hunnymonster
06-28-2011, 10:37 AM
n00b here - but tapatalk is great for on the move - particularly for being alerted to PMs... so another vote in the "tapatalk - yes please" box.

troymc
07-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Here's an emphatic "No" to tapatalk.

Tapatalk may be "free" for the forum to install, but it is "paid" for by the forum's non-tapatalk users who then have to deal with the constant annoying tapatalk spam/pop-ups. Why should the forum's non-tapatalk users have to subsidize this addon for those who do want it? Simply by searching for "tapatalk popup" on google will show how widespread this problem is.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tapatalk+popup

The existing mobileread mobile site (http://www.mobileread.mobi/) works fine and doesn't prejudice one set of users for the sake of another.

In short, please don't degrade the forum experience for one set of users simply to add a "feature" for another set of users.

Troy

odiakkoh
07-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Here's an emphatic "No" to tapatalk.

Tapatalk may be "free" for the forum to install, but it is "paid" for by the forum's non-tapatalk users who then have to deal with the constant annoying tapatalk spam/pop-ups. Why should the forum's non-tapatalk users have to subsidize this addon for those who do want it? Simply by searching for "tapatalk popup" on google will show how widespread this problem is.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tapatalk+popup

The existing mobileread mobile site (http://www.mobileread.mobi/) works fine and doesn't prejudice one set of users for the sake of another.

In short, please don't degrade the forum experience for one set of users simply to add a "feature" for another set of users.

Troy

I've had TapaTalk since January and haven't dealt with a single popup. And no one is saying take the mobile site away. They could always have both since the mobile site doesn't seem to require much upkeep.

I don't care that you don't want TapaTalk since in the end it's not up to either of us but the forum admin but I find it silly and melodramatic to call adding a feature degrading. You don't like it, don't use it.

troymc
07-17-2011, 04:32 PM
I've had TapaTalk since January and haven't dealt with a single popup. And no one is saying take the mobile site away. They could always have both since the mobile site doesn't seem to require much upkeep.

I don't care that you don't want TapaTalk since in the end it's not up to either of us but the forum admin but I find it silly and melodramatic to call adding a feature degrading. You don't like it, don't use it.

Please re-read my post again - as you appear to have mis-read it the first time.

Tapatalk users don't get the popups - it's the people who do *not* have tapatalk installed that start getting the popups. (really what sense does it make to spam the people who already bought your product?)

More specifically: mobile android users who do not already have tapatalk installed get an annoying popup every time we visit saying the the site is "android enabled" or some such thing and get nagged to go buy tapatalk.

Why should us non-tapatalk users have to deal with this spam simply to enable it for another subset of users?

Troy

brdwygurl
07-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Add me to the list of users who would really appreciate being able to access this forum via tapatalk. Please :D

JSWolf
07-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Add me to the list of users who would really appreciate being able to access this forum via tapatalk. Please :D

And count me in as one who does not want tapatalk enabled on MR. I do not want more advertising and any popups. Sometimes I do access MR from my wife's iPad and I do not want to have that garbage forced upon me when we do not actually want or need it.

brdwygurl
07-19-2011, 04:18 PM
And count me in as one who does not want tapatalk enabled on MR. I do not want more advertising and any popups. Sometimes I do access MR from my wife's iPad and I do not want to have that garbage forced upon me when we do not actually want or need it.

I understand that popups can be annoying, and wouldn't want them either. But it's actually an option that forum owners can turn off, so everyone wins. :2thumbsup

"When you installed tapatalk on your forum you were instructed to add a piece of code to the footer of your site. Just remove that code and the popups on your site will no longer show."

JSWolf
07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
If tapatalk can be installed with any slowdown, no popups, and no adverts, then I'm all for it if it helps others,

just_jeepin
07-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Many iPhone apps alert you to download the app if you visit the web version. The app version is always much better so no big deal.

Andrew H.
07-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Many iPhone apps alert you to download the app if you visit the web version. The app version is always much better so no big deal.

And tapatalk does, too. Every time you visit the site. It is kind of annoying...and it's not a free app, either.

hermitscr
07-29-2011, 05:12 AM
And tapatalk does, too. Every time you visit the site. It is kind of annoying...and it's not a free app, either.

You don't have to get the reminder. It's an option that the board owners can turn off. I participate on other forums that have it as an option, and I don't get the reminders.

holterzoff
08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes, tapatalk would be great. Please reconsider and evaluate....
regards

advocate2
08-31-2011, 05:39 PM
+1 for consideration of Tapatalk or one of its offshoots.

It makes it so easy to subscribe to just the items you want and then go to new posts since your last visit.

What is the cost to the site? Maybe those who want Tapatalk could contibute.

With the onslaught of Tablets, this would be very helpful.

FlorenceArt
09-01-2011, 05:25 AM
+1 for consideration of Tapatalk or one of its offshoots.

It makes it so easy to subscribe to just the items you want and then go to new posts since your last visit.

You can do that with the mobile version of the forum at mobileread.mobi (http://www.mobileread.mobi/). It works fine for me though I admit I rarely need to use it. The only problem I have with it is that the "new posts since last visit" button is so tiny, I often miss it on my iPod Touch unless I enlarge the view.

Rjl2001
11-14-2011, 05:58 AM
I'll thrown in a vote that this forum use tapatalk. It seems to be extremely popular and as active as this forum is I think it would be a good idea. My 2 cents anyways.

tweebee
12-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I also would love to see this forum be enabled for Tapatalk. Thanks!

Kumabjorn
12-03-2011, 04:02 AM
There are quite a few requests. Any discussion among mods?
I think more and more users are connecting with smartphones and tablets and as that continues to increase Tapatalk makes more and more sense.

kcowan
12-03-2011, 03:37 PM
I am on another php forum and they use a special format to enable access from readers. It is not as easy as Tapatalk but it does make it useful.

Mycopsycho
12-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Enable Tapatalk. I follow several forums on Tapatalk including XDA-Developers and Android Central with no problems. It's great for a mobile device.

dreams
12-05-2011, 04:33 PM

The above quote is from post #3 and, as of now, Tapatalk support at MR is not on the list of near future installs for our site.

montsnmags
12-05-2011, 09:29 PM
I am on another php forum and they use a special format to enable access from readers. It is not as easy as Tapatalk but it does make it useful.

In response specifically to the above, MobileRead has this:

http://www.mobileread.mobi/

Is that similar to that other forum?

Cheers,
Marc

FinancialWar
12-24-2011, 10:55 AM
guess we won't be getting tapatalk any time soon?

kcowan
12-30-2011, 11:09 AM
In response specifically to the above, MobileRead has this:

http://www.mobileread.mobi/

Is that similar to that other forum?

Cheers,
Marcyes it sure looks like it!

David Marseilles
12-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I'd also love to see tapatalk integrated.

I can see above that support is not planned, but I would encourage anyone interested in it to continue voicing their support.

Sweetpea
12-30-2011, 02:43 PM
I tried that tapatalk... I prefer a real mobile site, like mobileread already has.

barkndog
01-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Add me to the list of folks that would like to see TapaTalk installed.

HarryT
01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
There's no point in going on about it, guys. Alex, the site owner, has said that he's not going to do this because he doesn't like the stuff that has to be installed on the server.

afv011
01-13-2012, 11:37 AM
There's no point in going on about it, guys. Alex, the site owner, has said that he's not going to do this because he doesn't like the stuff that has to be installed on the server.

Just for our own benefit, would you mind elaborating what this "stuff" is, and how it would be detrimental to the server? I'm just curious, I don't use Tapatalk or know much, if anything, about it.

JSWolf
01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Why not just close the thread since the official word is no and there's no need to keep going on about it?

David Marseilles
01-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Because the official word is not "no". Ongoing support encourages the powers that be to continue keeping an eye on it.

JSWolf
01-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Because the official word is not "no". Ongoing support encourages the powers that be to continue keeping an eye on it.

In this case, I think all you are doing is :deadhorse:. It's not going to happen. So why keep on about it?

David Marseilles
01-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Mobileread is a growing forum. Keeping the thread open allows new people to voice their opinion and continue discussion as things change. It's entirely possible that the requirements of tapatalk could change or the that the forum setup could change to make adoption less problematic.

You seem to be "going on" about this, while I posted only once in support of tapatalk, and once in support of keeping this thread open so future posters could voice their opinion. For someone who doesn't appreciate such persistence, you're very good at it.

As we've been reminded by the moderation team, if you don't like particular content, you aren't forced to read it. Perhaps you could unsubscribe from this thread and go on reading things you do enjoy instead of trying to remove content you don't like from everyone.

gent
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Hey.

Long time lurker here, and a new registered user. Having the boards tapatalk enabled would increase the visits from users like me who catch up with forums during their commute.

As for the "pop-up's" someone mentioned, those are controlled by the board owners. Assuming mobileread implement it correctly no one else would notice.

Good to know about the .mobi site though!

FinancialWar
01-27-2012, 12:33 PM
so what's the deal, tapatalk for mobileread or not?

David Marseilles
01-27-2012, 02:25 PM
so what's the deal, tapatalk for mobileread or not?

Not yet, and no plans to implement it. See Alexander Turic's post above. It remains true AFAIK, but I encourage further polite support for tapatalk.

scarter
03-24-2012, 10:05 AM
OK, as a (fairly) long time member of this forum and a relatively new user of a Kindle Fire, I would strongly but politely let the powers that be know that my participation would be a whole lot easier if Tapatalk were implemented.

thomass
04-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I think an android app is necessary if forum rulers are not satisfied with the tapatalk. However I think tapatalk would be much better. :rolleyes:

Xda developer forum has both.:eek: Why does mobileread not have one of them at least?:(

briefer666
06-06-2012, 06:44 AM
+1 waiting for Tapatalk to be implemented in this forum. It is a waste of time to have to use the browser to read topics.

JSWolf
06-06-2012, 08:43 PM
It's already been said by the powers that be that Tapatalk isn't going to happen. Give up and go read a book.

WT Sharpe
06-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I just had a talk with the Surpeme Power that be. Tapatalk is coming to MobileRead. Stay tuned!

Piper_
06-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I just had a talk with the Surpeme Power that be. Tapatalk is coming to MobileRead. Stay tuned!
Yayyyyyyyyy!!!! This will make every single day nicer for me and I'm sure
others. More MR time. <3

Thank you Alex, WT, and everyone. xoxox

WT Sharpe
06-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes, Alex has had a change of heart about Tapatalk since this post last year (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=890802#post890802) and sent a PM to me this morning allowing me to leak the good news.

afv011
06-07-2012, 12:08 PM
It's already been said by the powers that be that Tapatalk isn't going to happen. Give up and go read a book.

Well, well, well, so things do change, don't they?

David Marseilles
06-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Thank you mobileread and fellow cheerfully persistent mobilereaders.

In this case, I think all you are doing is :deadhorse:. It's not going to happen. So why keep on about it?

Why not just close the thread since the official word is no and there's no need to keep going on about it?

:p

pholy
06-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh DA.N! Does this mean I have to go buy some device that uses TapaTalk? Which one?

:rofl:

How is TapaTalk different from DragonDictate??? :rolleyes:

thomass
06-07-2012, 06:05 PM

:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

WT Sharpe
06-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Oh DA.N! Does this mean I have to go buy some device that uses TapaTalk? Which one?

Dragon Dictate is a speech recognition program for Mac. TapaTalk is an app for accessing online forums from mobile devices.

scarter
06-08-2012, 10:23 AM

Very glad to hear the news. This is the only forum I visit at all regularly that's not accessible via Tapatalk. FWIW, I use Tapatalk on my Kindle Fire and it works very well.

Ekaros
06-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Is there TapaTalk for T1? ;D

Hmm, maybe I should get around getting it for my mobile...

JSWolf
06-09-2012, 02:21 PM

The New iPad

tompe
06-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Perfect, looking forward to it.

Wetdogeared
06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
So if I access MobileRead from my android tablet, and I don't access it through Tapatalk, I'm going to get that annoying pop-up that goes something like "This forum has an app for this android device. Click OK to learn more about Tapatalk."?

Alexander Turcic
06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
So if I access MobileRead from my android tablet, and I don't access it through Tapatalk, I'm going to get that annoying pop-up that goes something like "This forum has an app for this android device. Click OK to learn more about Tapatalk."?

I believe you should see that popup only once, and then when you acknowledge it, it should store your setting in a cookie (if your browser is setup to accept cookies). Not 100% certain though.

We're currently evaluating various options. Apparently we have more freedom in deciding how Tapatalk would behave here if we go for a premium Tapatalk solution.

Wetdogeared
06-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I believe you should see that popup only once, and then when you acknowledge it, it should store your setting in a cookie (if your browser is setup to accept cookies). Not 100% certain though.

We're currently evaluating various options. Apparently we have more freedom in deciding how Tapatalk would behave here if we go for a premium Tapatalk solution.Okay, thanks.

Although I do have a proclivity to clear cache and cookies. Maybe I can set up some exceptions.

troymc
06-17-2012, 09:16 PM

Wait. So your solution for those of us who do not want anything to do with Tapatalk, is that *we* have to allow Tapatalk to install a tracking cookie in our browsers?

So, basically, in the future MobileRead will be a Tapatalk-only site. *Everyone* will be required to either use Tapatalk, be forced to carry a Tapatalk cookie or have to endure Tapatalk pop-ups?

Did I miss anything? :(

Troy

thomass
06-18-2012, 02:12 AM

A lot :D

browsers means browsers(like chrome, firefox, dolphin, opera, ...etc) not the Tapatalk application

Kumabjorn
06-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Wonderful!
My father passed away a little while ago. As many people of his generation he wasn't interested in this "internet fad" so there is no connection at his place. I'm going over there a few times a week to clean up, throw away and generally reminisce. My only connection to the wired world is through wireless 3G in my Galaxy Note.
I'm on a few other boards dealing with other interests, some of those I can access using Tapatalk. It is soo much easier than the Android browser. Tapatalk is optimized for the format of your device, not the forum. As always, a great bunch of moderators here. As soon as it is implemented I will change my signature line.

briefer666
06-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Wait. So your solution for those of us who do not want anything to do with Tapatalk, is that *we* have to allow Tapatalk to install a tracking cookie in our browsers?

So, basically, in the future MobileRead will be a Tapatalk-only site. *Everyone* will be required to either use Tapatalk, be forced to carry a Tapatalk cookie or have to endure Tapatalk pop-ups?

The end is nigh!

Piper_
06-18-2012, 06:10 AM
The popup is easily disabled server-side, and a more elegant solution as a user option is said to be upcoming.

I'm beyond grateful for it, as most days, I can't participate and hardly navigate MR, and it's my favorite forum. Tapatalk is a godsend, accessibility-wise. :)

Canuck_in_Japan
06-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Oh praise the heavens! This is wonderful news! The fact that this is a website for fans of reading on portable devices and yet it still does not use Tapatalk has always been astounding to me. Welcome to 2010!

Sweetpea
06-19-2012, 03:11 AM
I must be blind then, because I don't get a popup when I go to the mobileread forum, nor can I find it in the forum list...

(or is it still in development and not rolled out yet?)

AnemicOak
06-19-2012, 10:12 AM
(or is it still in development and not rolled out yet?)

Correct. It is coming to MR, but not here yet.

Kumabjorn
06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Any inclination as to a timeline?
Ballpark?

WT Sharpe
06-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Any inclination as to a timeline?
Ballpark?

Well, I know Alex has been very busy lately with some new measures he incorporated into the software to try to stem the tide of of all the "Watch Online Stream" spam we've been getting hit with on a daily basis as of late, and he's also tracking down a software glitch that was causing certain posts to hang up, but hopefully now that he's isolated and corrected the problem that was causing the software glitch and instituted measures that have reduced much of the spam, he'll have time soon to integrate Tapatalk. I'm looking forward to it myself.

cliq
06-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Can't wait for Tapatalk on here.. makes life easier ;)

thomass
07-11-2012, 04:10 AM
Any news?

log
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Glad to hear TapaTalk is under consideration.

I just purchased the Android app and it's well worth it IMHO --most of the top forums are already on it and to be honest was disappointed to see that MobileRead was not supported.

scarter
07-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Time passes. Tick, tick, tick ...

pholy
07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Time passes. Tap, tap, tap ...

Fixed that for ya...

Patience, grasshopper!

WT Sharpe
07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Expect to see Tapatalk very soon! It's been moved to he front burner.

Kumabjorn
07-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Great news!
Hope it isn't too difficult to implement.

log
07-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Expect to see Tapatalk very soon! It's been moved to he front burner.

Awesome! Really looking forward to it!

Alexander Turcic
07-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Great news!
Hope it isn't too difficult to implement.

Hi there,

Difficulty is not the issue (it's rather plug and play), it's making sure that we keep security measures intact. Tapatalk is a lot of code. :o

That said, it's running on a local test server as we speak and it will go live in the next few days. :drummer:

tompe
07-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Looking forward to it!

It will be so much easier reading MR on the phone.

Kumabjorn
07-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi there,

Difficulty is not the issue (it's rather plug and play), it's making sure that we keep security measures intact. Tapatalk is a lot of code. :o

That said, it's running on a local test server as we speak and it will go live in the next few days. :drummer:

Need any Beta users?

kyteflyer
08-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi there,

Oh! That rather explains why a tapatalk search doesnt turn it up :)

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Try again :)

tompe
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Try again :)

Seems to work. Nice!

Kumabjorn
08-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah!!
Wonderful, I shall change my signature.

Kumabjorn
08-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Made a little test run from my phone!
Splendid, splendid!!

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Made a little test run from my phone!
Splendid, splendid!!

:jump:

thomass
08-03-2012, 11:00 AM
:thumbsup: Thanks

brainvision
08-03-2012, 11:27 AM
me too I vote for Tapatalk integration!

thanks.. ;)

afv011
08-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Well, finally. I'm giving Tapatalk a shot on the NC.

Terisa de morgan
08-03-2012, 12:02 PM
It works like a charm for me, thank you very much.

tompe
08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
I have to login all the time for mobileread in Tapatalk. That I do not have to do for other forums. Is this something I can configure or is this a forum property?

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 12:07 PM
I have to login all the time for mobileread in Tapatalk. That I do not have to do for other forums. Is this something I can configure or is this a forum property?

It shouldn't do that. What device are you using tapatalk with?

tompe
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
It shouldn't do that. What device are you using tapatalk with?

Android, Nexus S phone.

When I back out from the forum (using the back button) I have to give password when I enter it again. I thought maybe that was how it was supposed to work so I exited Tapatalk with the Home button instead. When I then start Tapatalk by choosing the program on the home screen I got back in the correct place but when it wanted to do an update it popped up a login window.

I have not tested how it works if I re-enter using the running-app-menu (holding home button a long time).

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Android, Nexus S phone.

When I back out from the forum (using the back button) I have to give password when I enter it again. I thought maybe that was how it was supposed to work so I exited Tapatalk with the Home button instead. When I then start Tapatalk by choosing the program on the home screen I got back in the correct place but when it wanted to do an update it popped up a login window.

I have not tested how it works if I re-enter using the running-app-menu (holding home button a long time).

My phone is a Galaxy S2 running Android 4.0.3. Tapatalk is 2.2.4 (latest).

I exited Tapatalk using the back button and also using the home button. I even forced closed it with a task manager. I also rebooted the phone. Yet, I was still logged in when I opened Tapatalk again.

Could you try when you are logged in to manually logout using the logout button within Tapatalk? Afterwards try to login again and see if it makes any difference. :chinscratch:

tompe
08-03-2012, 01:12 PM
My phone is a Galaxy S2 running Android 4.0.3. Tapatalk is 2.2.4 (latest).

I exited Tapatalk using the back button and also using the home button. I even forced closed it with a task manager. I also rebooted the phone. Yet, I was still logged in when I opened Tapatalk again.

Could you try when you are logged in to manually logout using the logout button within Tapatalk? Afterwards try to login again and see if it makes any difference. :chinscratch:

Hum, when I said backed out I actually only backed to the search and got a screen with just MobileRead. I never backed out to the account page. So when I now backed out all the way it seems to work properly. So maybe the password is saved when you get back to the account page?

Kumabjorn
08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
I've had no p problems getting in and o out of tapatalk without logging my password a second time.

brainvision
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
LOOL!, so it seems I had to read some post more before voting for this "old" wish.. now the wish is real, isn't it?
I'm going to login to mobileread with Tapatalk just in a minute!!

Thank you very much!! ;)

Piper_
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
:celebrate:

:thanks:

ProfCrash
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I am using tap totals but cannot post pictures. I can post using the app at kindle boards. Any ideas?

ProfCrash
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Password problem. Go to your dashboard and log in from the local option. I have not had to enter my password from there

WT Sharpe
08-03-2012, 02:30 PM
This is my first time trying Tapatalk. I just downloaded the app, and don't know my way around it yet.

WT Sharpe
08-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Don't know why it didn't send the automatic "Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk" signature, but this was sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. ;)

ProfCrash
08-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Go to post, you should have advanced options on the side. At kindle boards I can go to photo album and chose a picture. The image is hosted by the app. Here i can chose upload image but I get a server error.

WT Sharpe
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Go to post, you should have advanced options on the side. At kindle boards I can go to photo album and chose a picture. The image is hosted by the app. Here i can chose upload image but I get a server error.

Every time I try to upload a picture from my iPad I get a sign-in error message.

ProfCrash
08-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Same here. Is there someone at tapatalk to see what the problem is?

Piper_
08-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Tapatalk is one of my top three favorite apps on both my iPhone and my android tablet, but they do tend to have little bugs pop up when they update. They're nice guys though, and respond well to reports in their forum, here:

http://support.tapatalk.com/

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Please keeping going to provide your feedback / share your experience here. We'll go through it and see what issues could be related to our server setup and which ones to Tapatalk. :thanks:

afv011
08-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Works fine for me on CM7 nookcolor. Thanks for implementing this.

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 04:33 PM
To those who are experiencing some kind of problems: did you make sure you have the latest client downloaded from App Store / Google Play?

Image uploading:
I had no issues uploading a text image. Make sure you're uploading directly to the server and not hosted by Tapatalk (which is not what we want and thus it won't work).

Kumabjorn
08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Switching between my PC and Tapatalk on my Galaxy Note I have had no problem with double posting or anything like that. As far as entering text and keeping my posts up to date it is working splendidly.

ProfCrash
08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
How do you upload from the server?

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Every time I try to upload a picture from my iPad I get a sign-in error message.

Alright, I think we got this one solved. First Tapatalk bug found. ;)

We used a custom location for the Tapatalk server application. Tapatalk added support for this not too long ago. Unfortunately, in some client applications, like the one from App Store, it still has the default location hard-coded for some locations. :smack: That was easy to spot see in our log files. Hence we moved the application back to its default location. Let's see how it works! :D

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 04:43 PM
How do you upload from the server?

ProfCrash, can you please try again uploading something to this thread via Tapatalk? See my previous post why it may not have worked for you. :thanks:

Piper_
08-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Please keeping going to provide your feedback / share your experience here. We'll go through it and see what issues could be related to our server setup and which ones to Tapatalk. :thanks:

Thanks, Alex! So far, all good from my iPhone and Android ICS Tablet. :thumbup:
Testing to make sure I can upload a pic... (From iPhone)90138

Eta: Doh. I see your followups now. As usual, slow as I am, I should have refreshed the thread before posting. :o

ProfCrash
08-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Test

ProfCrash
08-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Weird. I posted a pic here, it shows in the participated column, but it does not show in the topic. The picture did show in another thread.

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Prof, I can see your pic here (two posts above). Perhaps some bug in your Tapatalk client software.Did you check if you're running the latest version of Tapatalk?

ProfCrash
08-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Why do you prefer this to the other upload option?

It is there now. I bought the app today so I am assuming it is the latest version.

brainvision
08-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Just trying to post something via Tapatalk..
It seems it all works good except the automatic signature..

Uploading two little albums covers: this one is been uploaded on Tapatalk servers..

[Graphic deleted by moderator.]

The second cover is been uploaded on the forum itself, so it results attached below..

It works like a charm; I'm sure we'll also have the signature soon.. ;)

Kumabjorn
08-03-2012, 05:15 PM
My signature show up, not on the Tapatalk app though, but when I check it on the board it is there. Try and use your browser on your Android Smartphone and see if it isn't there.

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Why do you prefer this to the other upload option?

With the current upload option, images uploaded via Tapatalk are stored on MobileRead servers, as usual.

With the other (disabled) option, we'd be at the mercy of Tapatalk as content would get uploaded to their servers, over which we don't have control. If Tapatalk decides one day to go out of business, or to stop offering image hosting, we'd have a problem. Or if we one day decide to replace Tapatalk with another mobile solution, we might also have a problem. Then there an issue with privacy, since not everyone would agree to have their content stored with another company. There is really not a good reason to go with that option. ;)

You mean the "Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2" kind of signature? This is currently disabled. I am not sure how much demand there is for this feature, but we'd prefer not to use it to keep posts clean with relevant information.

Alexander Turcic
08-03-2012, 05:20 PM
It is there now. I bought the app today so I am assuming it is the latest version.

Cool. Perhaps it was a refreshing issue in the app.

ProfCrash
08-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I deleted that signature because I find it silly. Glad you disabled it.

WT Sharpe
08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Just trying to post something via Tapatalk..
It seems it all works good except the automatic signature..

Uploading two little albums covers: this one is been uploaded on Tapatalk servers..

[Graphic deleted by moderator.]

The second cover is been uploaded on the forum itself, so it results attached below..

Glad it works, but remember when posting images that MobileRead is intended to be a family-safe and work-safe website (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_posting_guidelines).

Alexander Turcic
08-04-2012, 05:15 AM
We made a few more tweaks.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

Kumabjorn
08-04-2012, 05:18 AM
We made a few more tweaks.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

I'm enjoying it, alright. But what are the tweaks?

Alexander Turcic
08-04-2012, 05:21 AM
The tweaks are internal to make TT work better with our community. For instance some of our custom bbcodes weren't originally supported.

We'll keep an eye on how well TT works here and make further adjustments if needed.

kacir
08-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Did I miss anything? :(a few things actually ...

- You only get prompted for TapTalk when you run on a mobile device, such as smartphone, not when accessing Mobileread from PC. - This is a good thing

- when you access through browser in Android, you get the prompt and when you dismiss it, you are switched to "Desktop" version of site. Is this supposed to be like this, or should a "mobile" version of this site appear when browsing from a mobile phone?

- The prompt that tells you about the app doesn't mention that you might need to PAY for said app

- When you agree and click OK, you are transfered to google market app, but TapTalk isn't selected for you, and since ypu haven't been paying attention when the dialog appeared you try to look for "Mobileread" in the app store - which returns no results. (and when it works as advertised, you get no second prompt to re-read carefully, due to that cookie ;-) )

The above observations are result of a very brief experience. Just yesterday I went to mobile provider store to play with HTC devices, because I am trying to decide which one I want to buy for a family member. I wanted to see what the browser looked like, so I visited the site I see most often - Mobileread.

By the way, is there version of Mobileread.com tuned for mobile devices with a *very* small display (compared to 19 inch monitor)?

Alexander Turcic
08-04-2012, 08:58 AM

No, this is not the case. If and only if you're visiting with a mobile browser, you will be prompted if you want to use Tapatalk. If you choose not to, a cookie from mobileread.com is saved to prevent the prompt from showing again every time you visit MobileRead. This cookie has no other functionality and it certainly isn't used to track you.

Nope. Again, no tapatalk cookie is used or installed. The cookie is from the mobileread domain over which tapatalk has no access. It has no functionality other than to prevent the prompt from popping up again. It is no different than a cookie we use to store your mobileread user session.

Alexander Turcic
08-04-2012, 09:07 AM
- when you access through browser in Android, you get the prompt and when you dismiss it, you are switched to "Desktop" version of site. Is this supposed to be like this, or should a "mobile" version of this site appear when browsing from a mobile phone?
Yes, this by design. We haven't advertised the "mobile" version as it is not actively maintained. Hence no automated redirection to the mobile site.

-The prompt that tells you about the app doesn't mention that you might need to PAY for said app
It is a default prompt that is part of the server package from Tapatalk. But you're right, it doesn't hurt to be mentioned and we will modify the prompt accordingly.

- When you agree and click OK, you are transfered to google market app, but TapTalk isn't selected for you, ...
It should be selected. I will look at the prompt code, perhaps it is linking to an outdated page on Google Play.

By the way, is there version of Mobileread.com tuned for mobile devices with a *very* small display (compared to 19 inch monitor)?
How small do you want to get? :p We have a liquid view that should adopt to the given screen size.

ProfCrash
08-04-2012, 09:08 AM
I checked my user cp on Safari and saw I had karma messages. Is there a way to check that using tapatalk? When I click on the messages option I get my Pam's, not the karma messages.

Alexander Turcic
08-04-2012, 09:13 AM
...not the karma messages.
Alas, the karma system isn't included in the Tapatalk client.

Kumabjorn
08-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Neither are some of the emoticons.
Some show up as GIFs (?) others as pure text.

Alexander Turcic
08-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Neither are some of the emoticons.
Some show up as GIFs (?) others as pure text.
Correct. Only the standard emoticons are displayed as emoticons. With some tweaks we might be able to change that, but no promises. :o

pholy
08-05-2012, 12:08 AM
See how much work you've made for yourself by listening to your (small-screen) users?

Hmmm, maybe I'll go get a smartphone now... :D

brainvision
08-05-2012, 12:20 AM
You mean the "Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2" kind of signature? This is currently disabled. I am not sure how much demand there is for this feature, but we'd prefer not to use it to keep posts clean with relevant information.
Yea, obviously I meant that signature; indeed it's not a feature we absolutely need!! ;)

Glad it works, but remember when posting images that MobileRead is intended to be a family-safe and work-safe website (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_posting_guidelines).OK man, right, I understand.. sorry for that images, but to be honest they didn't represent pornography or violence, but only "artistic" nudity: that's why I didn't censored myself!

See you!

Sweetpea
08-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Cool! While the full site does work on my Flyer, I prefer this.

And you can turn off that annoying "sent from..." on the server? Hmm, need to mention that on another forum...

Alexander Turcic
08-05-2012, 06:16 AM
And you can turn off that annoying "sent from..." on the server? Hmm, need to mention that on another forum...

Yes, it's a global setting a forum administrator can set in the Tapatalk settings (Advanced -> Tapatalk signature).

Update: We removed the annoying standard popup informing users who visit us on mobile devices about Tapatalk. While it is not a bad idea to inform, popups are evil. We'll look into implementing a "nicer" solution.

scarter
08-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes! Thank you.

kacir
08-05-2012, 04:49 PM
We'll look into implementing a "nicer" solution.Thank you.

Mickey330
08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Late to the party - but ... THANKS!

This addition of MobileRead to the TapaTalk app is much appreciated. Makes my forum-browsing much easier with the "one-stop shopping" aspect.

Thanks again.

Marilyn

Kumabjorn
08-13-2012, 03:03 PM
After about a week of usage I have encountered one limitation that frustrated me. We can't hand out Karma with Tapatalk.

ProfCrash
08-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Or read those messages. Safari works well for this site so I go there when I want to give karma.