View Full Version : EPUB implementations

pepak
04-29-2010, 12:04 PM
I wonder: Which readers, if any, have an EPUB implementation other than Adobe DE? Are there any which are based on standard browser engines, e.g. WebKit or Gecko?

JSWolf
04-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I wonder: Which readers, if any, have an EPUB implementation other than Adobe DE? Are there any which are based on standard browser engines, e.g. WebKit or Gecko?

Without using ADE, you cannot borrow ePub/PDF from the library or use any ePub/PDF with Adept DRM.

kovidgoyal
04-29-2010, 12:08 PM
The phone based ones all dont use ADE

pepak
04-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Without using ADE, you cannot borrow ePub/PDF from the library or use any ePub/PDF with Adept DRM.
I couldn't care less about that: I do not buy DRMed books, nor do I borrow them.

I should have added that I am interested only in e-ink-based readers.

DaleDe
04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I couldn't care less about that: I do not buy DRMed books, nor do I borrow them.

I should have added that I am interested only in e-ink-based readers.

The Hanlin devices such as the Astak EZ Reader have recently added Cool Reader 3.0 support. This version can read ePUB although presently you have to append .fb2 to the file name to direct the ePUB to Cool Reader. The device can also use ADE by default so you can pick and choose based on the files.

Dale

Jellby
04-29-2010, 12:37 PM
The FBReader included in OpenInkpot is not ADE (does it support ePUB, I wonder?)

DaleDe
04-29-2010, 12:56 PM
The FBReader included in OpenInkpot is not ADE (does it support ePUB, I wonder?)

The answer to this and thousands of other questions is of course in our Wiki FBReader. It does support ePUB although not all of CSS and no Tables.

Dale

charleski
04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
As far as I can tell, the Onyx Boox60 also doesn't use ADE, I would guess it uses a version of FBReader.

AnemicOak
04-29-2010, 01:41 PM
As far as I can tell, the Onyx Boox60 also doesn't use ADE, I would guess it uses a version of FBReader.

It must use ADE. It supports DRM'd ePub right?

pepak
04-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Seems to me that if I want e-ink, I am stuck with either ADE (which I rather hate from my PRS-505) or FBReader with missing features :-(

I wonder - just why do e-book manufactures avoid mature HTML engines and instead opt for brand new, and apparently worse, implementations? Is it simply that they won't use a DRM-less implementation?

On a related note: I have seen that a number of reader manufacturers support developing of tools for their devices. Does it mean that it would be possible to compile, say, a WebKit-based reader for them and use it instead of the default one? Has this been tried at all?

DaleDe
04-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Seems to me that if I want e-ink, I am stuck with either ADE (which I rather hate from my PRS-505) or FBReader with missing features :-(

I wonder - just why do e-book manufactures avoid mature HTML engines and instead opt for brand new, and apparently worse, implementations? Is it simply that they won't use a DRM-less implementation?

On a related note: I have seen that a number of reader manufacturers support developing of tools for their devices. Does it mean that it would be possible to compile, say, a WebKit-based reader for them and use it instead of the default one? Has this been tried at all?

Did you miss my post that said Cool Reader is also available? It is pretty good viewer with nice user customization features although I am not sure the TOC feature works yet on ePUB.

Dale

pepak
04-29-2010, 03:29 PM
From what I read, it fits nicely into the "brand new, and apparently worse, implementations" :-(

DaleDe
04-29-2010, 05:20 PM
From what I read, it fits nicely into the "brand new, and apparently worse, implementations" :-(

They have a windows version of both Cool reader and FBReader. Download them and give them a try. The dedicated versions are a slight bit better but this will give you an idea of the support for ePUB.

Dale

charleski
04-29-2010, 09:06 PM
It must use ADE. It supports DRM'd ePub right?

Ah, according to Nate's review (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59781) you're right, and the FBReader function isn't used for epubs. Strange, I could find no mention of that on their site, and ADE-support is the sort of thing I'd expect them to mention if they had it.

paulpeer
04-30-2010, 05:38 AM
They have a windows version of both Cool reader and FBReader. Download them and give them a try.
Dale

I've just tried their Cool reader version 3. Promising project, but still in early stage. As Dale said: No TOC feature yet for ePub. There is no CSS recognition yet (all characters are rendered with the same size, no italics, no bold, ...). But the good news: perfect rendering of "lesser used languages" such as Polish, Icelandic, Russian, Esperanto ... what of course could be expected of a Russian developer.

DaleDe
04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
I've just tried their Cool reader version 3. Promising project, but still in early stage. As Dale said: No TOC feature yet for ePub. There is no CSS recognition yet (all characters are rendered with the same size, no italics, no bold, ...). But the good news: perfect rendering of "lesser used languages" such as Polish, Icelandic, Russian, Esperanto ... what of course could be expected of a Russian developer.

The PC version, is as I said, behind the version on the Hanlin device, which does support CSS.

I guess it may depend on which PC version you used or how the italics and bolding were done. On 3.0.16 on the PC I see support for italics and bolding.

Dale

ATimson
05-05-2010, 11:32 AM
txtr for iPhone does, I believe. It supports the DRM, at least. :)

kovidgoyal
05-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Interesting, I did not know that, thanks.

Jim Lester
05-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Yes, txtr is based on the RMSDK.