View Full Version : Are Fictionwise and eReader on the way out?

Robotech_Master
04-19-2010, 07:19 PM
That's the topic of an editorial I posted to TeleRead today (http://www.teleread.org/2010/04/19/are-fictionwise-and-ereader-on-the-way-out/).

As was stated elsewhere in these forums, Fictionwise has said it is not planning to come out with an iPad-resolution version of its eReader, leaving iPad users with substantial eReader format libraries out in the cold. It seems pretty clear B&N is pulling the same stunt Amazon pulled on Mobipocket when it was going to release an iPhone Mobipocket reader app (and is probably pulling on Stanza, now, too).

I guess it's time to look for the next easily-crackable format to buy e-books in.

aagstn
04-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I think they are. Barnes and Noble have probably left them running this long to try and get the customer base there to move to the Nook, but I see it just like Mobipocket. They won't be allowed to release new apps and eventually the users there will be forced to move to B&N if they want new devices. I'm guessing Amazon may have purchased Stanza just to kill it in the long run. Sad to see the little guys getting bought out and ruined, but I guess that is business. Fictionwise and eReader may not even bring back the books missing now for several weeks and further incentive to force us to B&N.

leebase
04-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Barnes and Noble are being very short sighted. They have me as a customer with fictionwise. If they don't support the iPad with fictionwise, then it's Amazon that will get my business, not B&N.

Lee

lene1949
04-20-2010, 03:15 AM
It says on the iTunes site that ereader is compatible with iPad.

astra
04-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Wrong topic. Sorry.

Robotech_Master
04-20-2010, 10:09 AM
It says on the iTunes site that ereader is compatible with iPad.
That's true only in the sense that you can run it. Without a version that takes full advantage of the iPad's high-resolution screen, it looks pretty bad (http://twitpic.com/1gr4lz/full) when you blow it up to full screen size.