View Full Version : Did you use bookmarks with paper books?

radius
04-16-2010, 04:37 PM
The beta version of the Mobipocket app for Blackberry's Storm2 has been annoying me recently because, under some conditions, when I re-open the application I find that it has opened my book to a location a few pages back from where I left off reading.

This led me to think of how things used to be years ago when I still read paper books. I never used bookmarks because it was a hassle to either move the bookmark once or twice every time I flipped the page, or else remember without fail to insert the bookmark before closing the book. I just had a sense of the thickness of remaining pages and opened up close to where I left off and flipped around a few pages.

However, nowadays, I've usually got between five to ten books in progress at once (on Blackberry and Sony Reader) and there is no way I could possibly remember where I was in so many books at the same time. I would be completely lost without the automatic "resume from where you left off" feature.

So for you guys who still read paper books, do you use bookmarks? How many books do you have active at once?

BongoBong
04-16-2010, 04:43 PM
I never used bookmarks because it was a hassle to either move the bookmark once or twice every time I flipped the page, or else remember without fail to insert the bookmark before closing the book. I just had a sense of the thickness of remaining pages and opened up close to where I left off and flipped around a few pages.

Yah I always use a bookmark. My bookmarks are usually scraps of paper I find lying around. Although im not sure what your talking about the hassle of moving the bookmark every time you flipped the page. I just take it out when i start reading and put it back in wherever i end up. If I am just putting the book down for a minute ill just lay it down open.

Of course sometimes my bookmark falls out and I have to do the finding my page based on the thickness left as well.

edit. I typically just have 1 book going at a time.

dmaul1114
04-16-2010, 04:58 PM
I use bookmarks. I generally only have 1-2 books I'm reading at time (in paper or electronic format).

Not counting work related reading.

I never had any issue with bookmarks either. I just set it aside while reading, then stick it back. Or stick it just inside the cover if I'm on a plane or train etc.

Hamlet53
04-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I consider one of the great advantages of the Sony readers I have owned (previously PRS-505, now Daily Edition), is that no matter how many e-books I may have in progress when ever I get around to opening them again I go right to the page I left of, even if days later. Before with paper boos I used book marks, just what ever was handy; the receipt fro grocery shopping, any business card that was handy, a torn off piece of napkin, ...

Dulin's Books
04-16-2010, 07:15 PM
probably what you are running into is the "actual" page versus the "virtual" page.

the books have "actual" page numbers for its default font size but when you change the font size it generates extra "virtual" pages or sub-pages. you may be on page 232 sub page c but the bookmark only marks page 232. so when you re-open the book it goes to the start of that page.

i

Worldwalker
04-16-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm one of the crowd who uses any random flat object for a bookmark in paper books. It could be anything from an actual bookmark to a Domino's pizza coupon postcard (which can cause problems when I forget that I've done that and I want a half-prize pizza!). I put the bookmark down in some random place when I start reading, and put a flat object -- not necessarily the same one -- back in when I stop. You could probably build quite a profile of me and my life if you just collected all the random junk out of my books!

I do bookmark where I stop in my 505, because I'm often reading several books at once (different topics/genres/etc.) and I switch between them.

Ravensknight
04-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I used bookmarks quite extensively back in the paper days :-) I actually bought some anime playing cards, Tenchi Muyo to be exact, just to use as bookmarks. They looked cool, were small enough to cart around, and with 54, it didn't matter if I lost them by the handful, just so long as I had ONE available as a bookmark.

With my 505, the bookmarking feature is essential since my wife and I hand it back and forth...

ChrisC333
04-16-2010, 08:53 PM
The beta version of the Mobipocket app for Blackberry's Storm2 has been annoying me recently because, under some conditions, when I re-open the application I find that it has opened my book to a location a few pages back from where I left off reading.

It may be referencing the original page layout of the book. When a file can be displayed on numerous different sized device screens, at variable type sizes, it's probably reasonable to expect that it may not take you back to the exact viewing spot on the larger overall 'page'. It seems slightly odd at first, but it's not too hard to get used to.

I have a bookmarks scattered around all over the place. They range from fancy leather ones through to strips of coloured card, scraps of paper, and even clusters of interesting stamps cut from a parcel. There's also a pile of freebies that bookshops sometimes give away.

DArenson
04-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I used bookmarks, but only had two real ones (one that I picked up at a book fair, another from the bank). Since I'd usually read several print books at a time, most of my bookmarks were just scraps of paper -- post it notes, a piece of envelope, etc.

I do still have a bunch of promotional bookmarks from my own book lying around the house somewhere...

ellenoc
04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
I've always used bookmarks in paper books and still do in my library books (the only DTBs I ever have any more). In fact a friend who borrowed some books from me once remarked how she couldn't believe I never dogear pages, but I never do. I have some nice bookmarks and enjoy using them now and then but I almost always end up mislaying them and so as others have said, I usually end up using the paper slips from the library, grocery store receipts, bits of tissue, etc. One of the many things I enjoy about the Kindle is that it keeps my place for me, but a couple of times instead of putting it to sleep, I've clutched it against me when it was "live" and lost my place. Much harder to find it again than in a paper book as I rarely pay much attention to the dots on the bottom of the screen.

WT Sharpe
04-16-2010, 10:12 PM
I find that bookmarks, except for the ribbon type that anchor in the spine of the book, tend to fall out, and I don't like to bend corners on pages. I usually always use paperclips to mark my place.

jgaiser
04-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Hate dog-earing pages. For years I used whatever scrap of paper that was available, but these days I pick up a couple of the light cardboard booksmarks that Powell's (http://www.powells.com/) have stack next to each register whenever I buy a book. Still read paper and still use bookmarks.

Madam Broshkina
04-16-2010, 11:59 PM
How about the Page Chaser?

The Page Chaser is a flexible bookmark that automatically marks the page as you turn them. Ordinary bookmarks can fall out and require you to correctly mark where you left off. Why waste all that precious brain power on something so mundane? The Page Chaser catches every page as you turn. It’s an incredibly simply design that never falls out. Cheap, easy to manufacture, and handy. Win in my book

http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/03/25/bookmark-does-the-work-for-you/

GraceKrispy
04-17-2010, 12:26 AM
yep, always have a bookmark. Iʻll read pbooks these days, when I canʻt find a library ebook copy of what I want to read, or when something catches my eye at the library when we go to choose books for the kids.

The bookmarks in question are usually receipts, small pieces of thin cardboard from small boxes (usually a small flap), the order cards from magazines, tags from new clothing, corners of newspapers... whateverʻs around. I donʻt like "real" bookmarks, they never seem to stay as well- too thick.

WT Sharpe
04-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if all pbooks were made like high-quality Bibles with the ribbon bookmark built right in?

I've made bookmarks by hand a couple of times for hardbacks by taping a ribbon to thin material such as a typical paper bookmark, and then shoving the paper part into the space in the spine of the book. It works especially well on thick books.

kindlekitten
04-17-2010, 12:56 AM
my Grandmother was a librarian, there was absolutely NO possibility of me EVER dogearing a page! I would use tiny bits of paper as I found that the weight of the book would prevent them (usually) from fallling out. the little slips from fortune cookies are actually almost perfect. then I discovered sticky notes. I would just leave it in my last read page and if for some reason the book closed, I dropped it or whatever... at least I knew my last read page. and it never fell out

Laine
04-17-2010, 02:33 AM
I would buy pretty bookmarks (no tassels or dangly beads because of the cats) but then I'd fall asleep while reading and never get to use them.

LesleyO
04-17-2010, 02:51 AM
I consider one of the great advantages of the Sony readers I have owned (previously PRS-505, now Daily Edition), is that no matter how many e-books I may have in progress when ever I get around to opening them again I go right to the page I left of, even if days later. Before with paper boos I used book marks, just what ever was handy; the receipt fro grocery shopping, any business card that was handy, a torn off piece of napkin, ...

I agree; the Kindles have the same function! Great not to have bookmarks that tend to fall out -- or Post-It notes, which I often used to use in paper books, and eventually lost their "sticky!"

Shayne Parkinson
04-17-2010, 03:34 AM
I have quite a nice collection of bookmarks. Some were gifts from friends; one or two are hand-embroidered ones I made myself. But somehow they're hardly ever to hand when I need a bookmark. So I usually use a scrap of paper torn from an envelope, or whatever else discardable is nearby.

Terisa de morgan
04-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Yes, I use bookmarks at paper books. No dogear, please :angry: In fact, I collect them and it's my favorite travel gift for a group of friends who read a lot, like me. I used the normal bookmarks, but after I lost one I've bought at Prague while I was running to catch the bus, at the books I take out I only use bookmarks like this: Magnetic bookmark (http://mercatus.usal.es/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=374&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=13&lang=es). They're very popular now at the museums.

And I continue reading paper books, so I continue using them (but least than before). Indeed, not using them is what I miss when I'm reading at my ereader. And I usually have two or three books reading at the same time.

And about electronic reading, my ereader remembers where I'm reading at each book.

lene1949
04-17-2010, 04:30 AM
I hand-embroidered several bookmark to use for my books... I'm from Denmark, and had never heard of 'dog-earing' a page... That's shocking!

BookCat
04-17-2010, 04:57 AM
I used to cut old birthday and Christmas cards into bookmarks, trying to keep the pattern logical (never cut a pic of a cat in half - my cards usually have moggies on them!). These would end up various sizes for different types of book.

I hated losing my page, and wouldn't dog-ear, even though most of my pbooks are from car-boot sales, jumble sales or charity shops.

Latinandgreek
04-17-2010, 05:28 AM
I used bookmarks quite extensively back in the paper days :-) I actually bought some anime playing cards, Tenchi Muyo to be exact, just to use as bookmarks. They looked cool, were small enough to cart around, and with 54, it didn't matter if I lost them by the handful, just so long as I had ONE available as a bookmark.

With my 505, the bookmarking feature is essential since my wife and I hand it back and forth...

I love Tenchi Muyo, and just hearing about your playing cards makes me want to pop an ep into my DVD player... but I'll have to refrain, as I'm supposed to be studying!

I NEVER dogear the pages of my pbooks, but then, I'm one of those obsessive-compulsives who washes her hands before reading, so no shock there. I have a few fancy bookmarks, which I use sporadically, but mostly I use whatever is handy - lottery tickets, plane tickets, pictures, whatever. If I don't have anything handy, I just remember the page number I stopped at. I have an excellent memory for numbers, but interestingly, not for dates!

Ea
04-17-2010, 06:38 AM
I use card board bookmarks that the library handed out for free some years. There were some nice designs, and I ended up with quite a collection :p I don't find the fall out easily (unless I handle the book clumsily). I've had a few bookmarks of the type that are sort of like a giant paper clip, but I've found they tend to tear the page. And ordinary paper clips leave marks in the paper. I've also used post cards, but they are too big and tend to fall out easier than the narrower bookmarks.

LDBoblo
04-17-2010, 07:44 AM
I used business cards, post-its, shopping receipts, and a 15cm stainless steel ruler.

Paperclips worked too, but had to be careful that they didn't have rough ends...not many things more annoying than ripping the hell out of a page while trying to remove a paperclip.

astra
04-17-2010, 09:38 AM
1 book at a time, always used bookmarks.

WT Sharpe
04-17-2010, 10:05 AM
my Grandmother was a librarian, there was absolutely NO possibility of me EVER dogearing a page! I would use tiny bits of paper as I found that the weight of the book would prevent them (usually) from fallling out. the little slips from fortune cookies are actually almost perfect. then I discovered sticky notes. I would just leave it in my last read page and if for some reason the book closed, I dropped it or whatever... at least I knew my last read page. and it never fell out

Post-it sticky notes are great! :)

But they can only be used a few times before they lose their stickiness.

TallMomof2
04-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I rarely read a pbook nowadays but when I do I use post-its mainly because the pbook is most likely something technical and post-its are great to use as bookmarks and also to flag important pages.

When I read fiction pbooks I used a variety of methods but usually it was some random scrap of paper with magazine subscription cards being the favorite.

Elvira
04-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I would find scraps too, or a piece of an envelope etc.

I would have HEART ATTACKS watching someone make a dog ear by folding down the top corner of a book... It would physically hurt me!!

Latinandgreek
04-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I would find scraps too, or a piece of an envelope etc.

I would have HEART ATTACKS watching someone make a dog ear by folding down the top corner of a book... It would physically hurt me!!

Haha, me too, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who gets heart attacks seeing that! I would also get a panic attack when I'd lend a book to a friend and I'd see them handle it roughly.

Rich_D
04-17-2010, 02:33 PM
I normally have 2 or 3 books going at a time. I've never used bookmarks. It might take me a second to find the exact page I stopped on, but I just never wanted to bother with them.

Solitaire1
04-17-2010, 06:43 PM
For me it depends on the type of paper book I'm reading. If it's a book where I tend to jump around when reading, such as a trivia book, then I don't bother bookmarking. I would never consider dog earring pages.

If it's a long book that I'm reading in order then I usually use a 3-by-5 card to mark the place where I stopped reading. A 3-by-5 card is easy to see, they stay firmly in place, and they don't cost much so I don't worry about losing them.

If it's a book that I use for reference or just enjoy re-reading, where I often return to specific pages (like my book of Billboard Top 40 hits or many comic book trade paperbacks), then I attach a small sticky note to the pages that I return often to. Like with 3-by-5 cards, they are easy to see and they stay in place when I open the pages.

I do find the bookmarking feature essential on my ebook reader. I tend to jump around from one ebook to another and it is a great help to be able to return to where I left off on each ebook when I return to it.

Solitaire1
04-17-2010, 06:48 PM
I love Tenchi Muyo, and just hearing about your playing cards makes me want to pop an ep into my DVD player... but I'll have to refrain, as I'm supposed to be studying!

I NEVER dogear the pages of my pbooks, but then, I'm one of those obsessive-compulsives who washes her hands before reading, so no shock there. I have a few fancy bookmarks, which I use sporadically, but mostly I use whatever is handy - lottery tickets, plane tickets, pictures, whatever. If I don't have anything handy, I just remember the page number I stopped at. I have an excellent memory for numbers, but interestingly, not for dates!

I'm a Tenchi Muyo fan too. My favorites are the original 13-episode OAV series, and Tenchi Muyo GXP. I don't care as much for the other series. It's good to hear that there are other Tenchi Muyo fans.

Lirael
04-17-2010, 08:22 PM
I've never used bookmarks with paper books - I just remember the number of the page I stopped on. I can remember the page number for 3-4 books at once, which is all I need.

The only time I've found myself using bookmarking on my reader is if it's a book I'm reading for a class and have to write a paper on - then I'll bookmark sections relevant to my paper topic.

Stitchawl
04-17-2010, 08:49 PM
ATTENTION!: Those who get heart attacks from seeing people dog-ear books - stop reading NOW!

When reading on my Sony, I always used the bookmark function as I'm usually in the middle of several books at the same time. When reading a 'borrowed book' from the library or from a friend I use an ornate thin metal bookmark to hold my place.

But... when reading a junk paperback (and ONLY with junk paperbacks) I follow two different methods. If at or near home, I ALWAYS dog-ear the page to mark it. If traveling for business or vacation... I tear off the already-read pages to make the book thinner and lighter to carry. These are not holy bibles. They are tools to help pass the time, and are discarded with finished. Yes... I sometimes even tear off the 'do not remove' tags on the bottoms of mattresses too... :o I have been seeking help for this problem, but to date, there are no support groups available.

Stitchawl

WT Sharpe
04-17-2010, 09:35 PM
ATTENTION!: Those who get heart attacks from seeing people dog-ear books - stop reading NOW! ...

... But... when reading a junk paperback (and ONLY with junk paperbacks) I follow two different methods. If at or near home, I ALWAYS dog-ear the page to mark it. If traveling for business or vacation... I tear off the already-read pages to make the book thinner and lighter to carry. These are not holy bibles. They are tools to help pass the time, and are discarded with finished. Yes... I sometimes even tear off the 'do not remove' tags on the bottoms of mattresses too... :o I have been seeking help for this problem, but to date, there are no support groups available.

Stitchawl

http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/Homer%20Simpson%20Oh%20No.jpg

jabberwock_11
04-17-2010, 09:59 PM
If I had a bookmark readily available I used it, but I don't believe in the the sacredness of the page. I dogeared pages with abandon, hardbacks, paperbacks, stone tablets, etc. (of course the tablets took some work...)

GraceKrispy
04-18-2010, 01:05 AM
ok, not only does it pain me to see people dogear the pages, it also pains me to watch someone crack the spine back to help the book stay open. Itʻs not that I think the book or its pages are sacred or anything, but I wouldnʻt purposefully damage anything else either.

Latinandgreek
04-18-2010, 04:42 AM
ok, not only does it pain me to see people dogear the pages, it also pains me to watch someone crack the spine back to help the book stay open. Itʻs not that I think the book or its pages are sacred or anything, but I wouldnʻt purposefully damage anything else either.

The spine cracking gets me teary-eyed every time!

Ea
04-18-2010, 05:34 AM
My mother does that - flip the pages and cover completely over so it's easier to hold open. I would never lend her my books.

ImogenRose
04-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Yes, I always use bookmarks. I collect them!

Sweetpea
04-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I always use bookmarks with pbooks. Dogearing books make me shudder, just can't deface a book...

I made myself a bookmark but if I had more than one book "open", I just used any scrap of paper I could find. Or when I wanted to bookmark another location in the book (like a map, or a list of characters).

KarenH
04-18-2010, 06:27 PM
I rarely read DTBs anymore, but back when I did post-its were by far my favorite type of bookmark. The size is great and they don't fall out. We seem to have a never-ending supply around the house, so when the one I was using would start to lose its stickiness, I would just toss it and get a new one.

As far as dog-ears and spine cracking go, I never dog-ear pages, but on occasion will crack a spine. My mom is 83 years old with arthritis in her hands, and if a book is printed too close to the spine she's just not physically capable of holding the book open to read it unless the spine is cracked. This is one of the reasons she doesn't buy new books though, only used (the other reason is she can't see paying $7-10 for a book if I can find it for her used for $4 or less)!

DArenson
04-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I confess that, back when I'd read DTBs, I'd sometimes use tissue papers as bookmarks. Luckily, they were always clean.

sabredog
04-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I always bookmark my paperbacks or hardback books.

I cringe when I see someone "dog ear" a book page.....

jgaiser
04-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Sticky notes as bookmarks --- My favorites are Post-It Flags (http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/products/prod_ft.html). Little multi-colored sticky tabs. Great for marking pages in cookbooks for your favorite recipes..

astra
04-19-2010, 04:59 AM
If you despise dogearing, karma is on its way....

banjobama
04-19-2010, 05:02 AM
I always used bookmarks, and I still do for my school textbooks and any treebooks I read. I have a few I keep in rotation, maybe due to superstition? I don't know. I don't like using tiny scraps of paper, I like a substantial, gorgeous bookmark, but I'll use scraps before I mess up the pages.

mbovenka
04-19-2010, 06:06 AM
I always bookmark my paperbacks or hardback books.

I cringe when I see someone "dog ear" a book page.....

Me too... It literally hurts me te see it. You get one of their bookmarks with every purchase, so I have an enormous stack of American Book Center (http://www.abc.nl) bookmarks, going back more than two decades. From way back when they were still called the American Discount Book Store :-)

I've let my customer card lapse, though, since I bought my reader 2,5 years ago.

lene1949
04-20-2010, 02:33 AM
Yes, I always used books marks - I embroidered them myself with cross stitch... I think that's one thing I miss with ebooks...

Not until I came to Australia did I ever see anyone mutilate a book by bending over the corners of the pages... :eek:

Oooppss... already replied to this thread - must be getting old...

lene1949
04-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Oh, no!... that's terrible... :smack::smack:

ATTENTION!: Those who get heart attacks from seeing people dog-ear books - stop reading NOW!

When reading on my Sony, I always used the bookmark function as I'm usually in the middle of several books at the same time. When reading a 'borrowed book' from the library or from a friend I use an ornate thin metal bookmark to hold my place.

But... when reading a junk paperback (and ONLY with junk paperbacks) I follow two different methods. If at or near home, I ALWAYS dog-ear the page to mark it. If traveling for business or vacation... I tear off the already-read pages to make the book thinner and lighter to carry. These are not holy bibles. They are tools to help pass the time, and are discarded with finished. Yes... I sometimes even tear off the 'do not remove' tags on the bottoms of mattresses too... :o I have been seeking help for this problem, but to date, there are no support groups available.

Stitchawl

astra
04-20-2010, 05:05 AM
My dad is to be blamed for my attitude towards books.
During my school years I used to make temp book covers for books I have been reading because my dad besides being a voracious reader was also a book collector. We had 5 books cases with books set in two rows and 10 book shelves on the walls above the book cases. Our sitting room looked like a small library. Altogether about 4.500 books.
Town libraries would not lend you the next book for months if you return one book in a bad condition. I didn't use library when at school because of my dad's books but I learned about the rule later at the university.
I think it is one of the reasons why I dislike paperbacks. We never had paper backs in the house or should I say in the country (xUSSR)? Hardback editions only. It is inconvenient to hold paper back if you don't want to break its spine. Basically, it doesn't matter how well you treat paper backs, they look bad even after one read. At some point I gave up. I either bought hardback editions or if it was paper back I would crack the spine and fold the book to hold it properly and then give it away to charity.
Although, never ever dogearing! It is an atrocity IMHO. Frankly speaking I didn't know people do it until recently. I thought it was just a joke.

rhmorrison
04-20-2010, 05:09 AM
YES, I always use bookmarks.
It is removed for reading and placed before closing the book - ALWAYS!

sabredog
04-20-2010, 06:20 AM
When I buy a new paperback, I read it carefully with the book open only enough to read the pages. I try everything possible to avoid any spine creases...

I have 30 year old paperbacks in our bookcase that look as new!

I just felt I needed to stand in front of you all an announce that :)

"Hello, I am Michael and....."

astra
04-20-2010, 06:32 AM
I read it carefully with the book open only enough to read the pages

This is what I hate about paperbacks. Reading a book is supposed to be an enjoyment and relaxation. I don't want to split my attention between following story line and worrying about "if I open a book just a little bit more so I can see the text better, then I leave a crease on its pine".
I don't know what books you are reading, but I used to read Wheel of Time, paper back editions. 800-900-1000 pages. How can you open it "only enough to read the pages" and not leave creases on its spine at the same time feel very comfortable when reading, I don't know :blink: Lucky you! :)

montsnmags
04-20-2010, 06:45 AM
I dogear almost all of my books. All my cookbooks are splattered with food. If I need to break a spine of one of my books, I'll break it.

I used to use bookmarks, but got sick of them falling out. Auto-bookmarking in my ebooks is nice.

Cheers,
Marc

Ea
04-20-2010, 07:43 AM
When I buy a new paperback, I read it carefully with the book open only enough to read the pages. I try everything possible to avoid any spine creases...

I have 30 year old paperbacks in our bookcase that look as new!

I just felt I needed to stand in front of you all an announce that :)

"Hello, I am Michael and....."
Aah, I'm not alone :D

I don't find it difficult to hold a paperback so you don'tcrack the spine. It's all about how you hold it. However if the book's been read multiple times, at some point it'll crack a bit. It's unavoidable. I'm less careful with cookbooks though - and library books (but they've been re-bound in an extra-sturdy binding anyway.

Latinandgreek
04-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Aah, I'm not alone :D

I don't find it difficult to hold a paperback so you don'tcrack the spine. It's all about how you hold it. However if the book's been read multiple times, at some point it'll crack a bit. It's unavoidable. I'm less careful with cookbooks though - and library books (but they've been re-bound in an extra-sturdy binding anyway.

No, you are not! It seems us non-spine-crackers are in good company!

radius
04-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Wow! I can't believe everybody tries to keep their place using some kind of marker, whether bookmark, post-it or dog-earing. It looks like I'm the only one who hunts around for where I left off (or else we hunters are unliking to read a bookmark thread)

Bilbo1967
04-20-2010, 08:54 AM
I never use a bookmark when reading a pbook; I just remember the page number when I put it down. Funnily enough, I can't get out of that habit when reading on my 505, even though it's entirely unnecessary.

Bilbo1967
04-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I do bookmark where I stop in my 505, because I'm often reading several books at once (different topics/genres/etc.) and I switch between them.

Am I missing something here? Doesn't the 505 remember the last read page of all books on the device anyway?

Jellby
04-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Am I missing something here? Doesn't the 505 remember the last read page of all books on the device anyway?

But what if two people read the same book? ;)

Bilbo1967
04-20-2010, 09:02 AM

:smack::o

Think I need another coffee!

SolRaven
04-20-2010, 04:10 PM
I always use book marks. Like many others on here, although I have a few real book marks I usually grab whatever scrap paper is laying around. Magazine inserts seem are usually my favorite.

It's probably a good habit I got into because I almost always read library books growing up.

Latinandgreek
04-20-2010, 05:01 PM
It's probably a good habit I got into because I almost always read library books growing up.

Me too. I still often read library books, and I always have to double check to make sure I didn't leave any pictures, bills, or even money in the pages before I return them. Yes, I have on occasion been known to find money in the pages of my books, although I have no recollection of putting the bills there!

Ravensknight
04-20-2010, 09:49 PM

That be the problem! I started Butcher's Codex Alera series and then my wife started reading them. I read smaller amounts all through the day. She starts reading when she comes home from work and stays up all night.

Which is why I just bought her her OWN 505 :-) No worries now, mate!

Xanthe
04-21-2010, 02:09 PM
When I was a kid, I dog-eared my paperbacks, but as I got older I stopped doing that. I always used bookmarks with library books and hardcovers. If I don't have any freebie bookmarks, I just use a scrap of paper or one of those mail-back postcards for free offers or magazine subscriptions.

beppe
04-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I do not use bookmarks of any sort. I never left a sign on any book ever. I know that if I did that, the ghost of some of my ancestors would come at night and pull my foot. :eek:

This note might be useful. If one underlines or marks a book while he is preparing for a test, when he rereads for a higher mark, he is automatically attracted, hence distracted from understanding more. I learned this long time ago. My colleagues and me we got very high marks with 3 readings of a subject, good marks with 2 readings and just passed with one.

I read several (actually many) books at the same time. Obviously my ancestors, of whose ghosts I am so in awe, have left me with an excellent selective memory. When I pick up a book that has rested for a little while, I usually open it at the right place right away. If I resume a reading from a longer time, then I find very pleasurable to retrace where I stopped reading. In this way I get back in the mood. The real problem is with the not so kind person who takes care of the house chores. I think she hates me, maybe because I read so many books and I leave them everywhere, and she usually puts them away in tricky places.

rePete
04-08-2011, 09:38 PM
At Bas Bleu they have page points that are indespensible. For two column books I put one at the top to indicate column and one on the side to show the line I left off with.

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=17-671|Level=2-3|PageID=6917

I don't like these as much as the ones I have but Bas Bleu only has gaudy looking ones right now

http://www.basbleu.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?randomizer=668164096&action=detail&item=UD0992

The last time I bought, I got 6 tins with 75 points per container; three different metal finishes - gold, silver, and bronze

EDIT: found my page points link - only they call them Book Darts http://bookdarts.com/

P.S. my eReader has a small flag in the upper right corner that I can tap to bookmark the page I'm on. Now the only trouble is, one print page can equal two or three epages so I still end up re-reading some material to find where I left off.

Sydney's Mom
04-08-2011, 09:54 PM
I absolutely used a bookmark. It is a slip of paper, the library slip, anything. When I am ready to quit reading for the night, I look for something to indicate my place.

I used to read several books at once, but I finished far fewer. Now, I have a fiction book and a nonfiction book going at the same time, and that is it.

Nyssa
04-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I still collect book marks to this day, and encourage my children to do the same. There are so many pretty and/or witty ones, its hard to choose just one. The last set of book marks I bought for myself, however, are my favorite - not because of their look but their functionality. They are called Book Bungees (http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=17-671|Level=2-3|pageid=6840). They're great. Not only do they mark your spot, but they hold it in place, while keeping your book closed. I think this (http://www.levimage.com/IMAGE/PRODUCTS/PAPER/BOOK_PAPER_ACCESSOR/AB0785_FY_0108_CSW_BK.jpg) image is better.

SeaBookGuy
04-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I have a whole slew of bookmarks from various sources, so yes I use them. On the rare occasion I don't have access to one, I use a sheet of hotel telephone message pad or some such.
Generally two print books: a bulky library book and a modest sized carry around one.

SolRaven
04-09-2011, 12:40 AM
I still collect book marks to this day, and encourage my children to do the same. There are so many pretty and/or witty ones, its hard to choose just one. The last set of book marks I bought for myself, however, are my favorite - not because of their look but their functionality. They are called Book Bungees (http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=17-671|Level=2-3|pageid=6840). They're great. Not only do they mark your spot, but they hold it in place, while keeping your book closed. I think this (http://www.levimage.com/IMAGE/PRODUCTS/PAPER/BOOK_PAPER_ACCESSOR/AB0785_FY_0108_CSW_BK.jpg) image is better.

I grew up the same way. Even to this day my sister, who lives 3,000 mis away will see a nice bookmark somewhere and send it to me. Hmmm... that's probably why I looked at my Sony 505 and thought that she would love it. :)

BTW, I love those book bungees. I have a few of them still placed in a few books. :o

Latinandgreek
04-09-2011, 02:07 AM
I just picked up some really nice bookmarks from the Bay this week, for me and a friend. I still collect bookmarks, and I still read paper books, although my preference is e-ink.
-

shanghaichica
04-11-2011, 04:10 PM
When I read paperbacks I used a book Mark most of the time.

Pomtroll
04-11-2011, 04:25 PM
With paper books I tended to remember the page I was on. Even if I was reading more than one book at a time. I don't seem to remember them with my e-reader since I don't have to.

Nyssa
04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
With paper books I tended to remember the page I was on. Even if I was reading more than one book at a time. <snip>

My husband is the same way.

Quexos
04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
I used to have this nice metal bookmark with embroidery of some kind which I used on my print books. I don't know where it is anymore.

sakura-panda
04-12-2011, 03:53 PM
The single thing I miss because of my ebook reader is the excuse to buy and use pretty bookmarks. :)

philandjan
04-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a myriad of bookmarks that are now wallowing nakedly in self-pity.

Should I restore their dignity by just putting them in any old book so that they feel useful?

Latinandgreek
04-12-2011, 08:35 PM
I have a myriad of bookmarks that are now wallowing nakedly in self-pity.

Should I restore their dignity by just putting them in any old book so that they feel useful?

I do that, actually!

Wordeater
04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I've always used bookmarks. I expect anyone I lend a book to, to do the same. What you do to your own book is up to you I suppose; but don't let me catch you reading one of mine opened facedown, holding your place.
I've finished pocketbooks that you'd be hard pressed to prove they were even opened at all.
Recently I lent a 'must read' (for me anyway) book of mine to a friend. Part way through his read I saw it absolutely destroyed. I kept my lip zipped.
When he was finished reading it, he presented me with a pristine new copy. He also bought himself a new copy, and one more for another friend because he enjoyed it so much.

WE

kennyc
04-12-2011, 08:54 PM

This led me to think of how things used to be years ago when I still read paper books. I never used bookmarks because it was a hassle to either move the bookmark once or twice every time I flipped the page, or else remember without fail to insert the bookmark before closing the book. I just had a sense of the thickness of remaining pages and opened up close to where I left off and flipped around a few pages.

However, nowadays, I've usually got between five to ten books in progress at once (on Blackberry and Sony Reader) and there is no way I could possibly remember where I was in so many books at the same time. I would be completely lost without the automatic "resume from where you left off" feature.

So for you guys who still read paper books, do you use bookmarks? How many books do you have active at once?

Book markers are one of my favorite things. I've been collecting and using them forever!

kennyc
04-12-2011, 09:00 PM

Stitchawl

:eek: :eek: :eek: I could never do that to a poor defenseless book! :eek: :eek: :eek:

kennyc
04-12-2011, 09:01 PM
I confess that, back when I'd read DTBs, I'd sometimes use tissue papers as bookmarks. Luckily, they were always clean.

I often find myself on the toilet with no bookmark so....

:D

WT Sharpe
04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
I often find myself on the toilet with no bookmark so....

:D

I trust you mean you use toilet paper to mark your place. :eek:

C. R. Hindmarsh
04-13-2011, 12:39 AM
I'll use whatever I can get my hands on as a bookmark. Often it's a receipt or tissue paper. I'm doomed without something to mark my place. Curse my pathetic memory!

On the other hand, my girlfriend absolutely refuses to use bookmarks. I don't know what sort of weird moral high ground thing it is, but she's determined to stick with it :D

sabredog
04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I could never do that to a poor defenseless book! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nor I! Sacrilege! :p

Taught our kids the same, never dog ear a book! Even a dried up gum leaf is preferable to that :)

wyndslash
04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
to the OP, yes, when i'm at home. however, when i'm out i use any paper as my bookmarks are expensive :)

CleverClothe
04-13-2011, 01:52 AM
At Bas Bleu they have page points that are indespensible. For two column books I put one at the top to indicate column and one on the side to show the line I left off with.

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=17-671|Level=2-3|PageID=6917

I don't like these as much as the ones I have but Bas Bleu only has gaudy looking ones right now

http://www.basbleu.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?randomizer=668164096&action=detail&item=UD0992

The last time I bought, I got 6 tins with 75 points per container; three different metal finishes - gold, silver, and bronze

P.S. my eReader has a small flag in the upper right corner that I can tap to bookmark the page I'm on. Now the only trouble is, one print page can equal two or three epages so I still end up re-reading some material to find where I left off.

You know, necro'ing a thread is 7 years back luck per each year the thread has been dead.