View Full Version : For those with large (500+) libraries...

ficbot
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Someone posted in another thread about having 25k in books. Just wondering for those who have 'large' libraries of ebooks (more than 500 books) have you read them all? Is that a goal of yours?

For me, I am at about 800 books, and I have officially read a third of them. But I am only counting in that tally the books I have actually read on an e-device. Of the remaining two thirds, a good portion of them are books I read in print and have replaced a print version with an electronic. Another fair-sized section are classics I mean to get around to one of these days. I have a large assortment of freebies from the Sony store. So of the un-read books in my collection, only a small number (probably 50 or so, if that) are books which I actually paid for and have not yet explored.

So, how about the rest of you e-hoarders? :)

dyrinn45
04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
i just bought my nook last saturday, and between books i have bought and PD ebooks i have 147 loaded on my nook so far. I have only read 4 or 5 so far.

GA Russell
04-16-2010, 01:22 PM
GhostHawk did me a great favor and gave me over 300 books. I intend to read at least one of each author, but it is not likely that I will read every book.

Boston
04-16-2010, 01:38 PM
I have a large library that with few exceptions consists of books I want to read and plan to read at some point.:rolleyes:

However, given that I have the 3 boxes of paper books that I never got to*, the reality is that I won't ever get to read all of them unless people stop writing :smack:

* and those are the ones I decided to keep after weeding through the ones I had to admit I would never get to.

calvin-c
04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Note that, although I plan to *start* reading every book in my library (900+, no idea at present how many I've already read) I don't expect to finish all of them. Based on the books I've 'read' so far, I estimate that 10-20% won't live up to my hopes and I won't bother finishing them. Mostly I buy based on the synopsis-which is why it drives me crazy when a 'synopsis' only says things like "Another great book from XXXX", or only has quotes from reviews, etc. (I've found that you can't believe reviews. Either my tastes are wildly different from most or most reviewers say whatever they're paid to say. Not sure which it is, but I've definitely learned to ignore anything said in a review, that doesn't really synopsize the book.)

Logseman
04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Me, I'm a collector of media content. In the moment I possess 1,25 TB of capacity to fill with every worthwhile media at hand. So far Ihave only 700 GB occupied with content, mostly animated films and series (I'm an otaku ^^). But I intend to keep loading movies, music, videogames, ebooks, manga, comics, and so on, until those 1250 GB get filled. And once they do, I'll expand the space, ideally with 1 TB more. I have watched perhaps a third of the anime and some of the animated series, but as you can guess, my goal is not to consume it all. Eventually I'd like to get a content consumption device other than my PC, but I don't count on it coming soon. The iPad is a promising concept, but I'll wait until a company friendlier to different formats offers its proposal. My iTouch won't let me see any of the video I've gathered, for example.

Once that I've set up that idea, you can guess that having something like 6 thousand books at the moment is just the dog's biscuits for me. I intend to acquire many more, if possible.

TGS
04-16-2010, 03:22 PM
I may not have read all of the books I own - about 2000 - but I know what's in them. Most of them are non-fiction and it is very rare that I would read one cover to cover.

fjtorres
04-16-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm a firm believer that nature abhors an empty hard drive (or flash card). ;-)
I'm the sort that has bought the Black Mask collection 5 times (Rocket ebook, MS Reader, MobiPocket (twice) and most recently, the 25,000 volume version in ePub.
Plus, I downloaded the Gutenberg library DVD image and ran the prettifier on it to produce my own LITs with proper Metadata (a weak spot of the Black Mask Collection.)

On the commercial side, I've bought all the BAEN webscriptions and a few dozen volumes at Fictionwise, Amazon, and Powells, over the years.

Bottom line is that I can arguably claim to legally own between 25,000 and 40,000 ebooks. And they all fit on one 16GB flashcard.

While I would like to think I'll live long enough to read all of them I don't expect to. Its not my intent. The idea of having such a collection is simply access; that if on a moment's whim I'm in the mood for some SF, Fantasy or classical theatre, I can just hit the right directory on my ebook reader and get on with it. No muss, no fuss. Just do it.
To me an ebook reader is more than just a book reader, its a personal library.
(Mind you, I do intend to make a serious dent in it before I'm done, say 10-20%. That much I can do.)

Plus, I'm covered in case an asteroid impact ends civiization as we know it. ;)

A while back Jerry Pournelle said that the day would come when we would not just buy individual ebook volumes but entire libraries (on disc). He even talked of the "Library of the Month Club". That day is pretty much upon us, no?
If not here, real.soon.now.

MargaretLake
04-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I own between 1,200 and 1,500 paper books. Yes, I've read all of them. When I got my Kindle, I got rid of my paper TBR pile. I knew I'd never want to read another paper book again. I've since changed my mind about that since some of my faves (Hello, JKR) aren't available as e-books.

Over the last 10 years, I've probably donated about 5,000 paper books, most of which I had already read.

radius
04-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Someone posted in another thread about having 25k in books. Just wondering for those who have 'large' libraries of ebooks (more than 500 books) have you read them all? Is that a goal of yours?

I'm a bit surprised that you would consider 500 books to be a "large" library. I think if you read so few books, a dedicated reading device seems like overkill.

Personally, I used to read every e-book I got. But since the e-ink readers have come out, the good folks at Mobileread have been adding books to the library faster than I can read them. Combine that with my re-reading of some books that I originally read on paper (like the ERB, HR Haggard, AC Doyle etc omnibuses that HarryT has assembled) I am starting to doubt my ability to keep up with the free e-books I find interesting, let alone catch up on my reading list.

I delete books off my Sony as I read them, and I have 289 outstanding at this moment :o

Ravensknight
04-16-2010, 05:49 PM
I have around 800 books in my Calibre library, and about 60 of them are unread.
Most of the read ones, though, I have read in pbook format over the last 20 years. It was really only about 3/4 of the way through last year that I seriously started reading ebooks instead of pbooks.

BongoBong
04-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm a bit surprised that you would consider 500 books to be a "large" library. I think if you read so few books, a dedicated reading device seems like overkill.

Really? I maybe read a book a week, which im sure is slow compared to many here (and can differ greatly depending on how busy I am) but I would guess more than the average person. But at a book a week that 500 would be about 10 years worth of books!

edit. Although I guess I am only 23 so 500 books seems like a lot!

Laine
04-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I found I had to organise my reading list because books slipped through the gaps.

I use my phone to keep a check. Every month I list the ebooks I buy and mark them off when I read them. I keep Harlequin and Regency Reads in seperate lists. And for some reason I don't list Baen - I just buy them to support the company and if I don't read them I don't mind.

Some months go well. e.g. November - 26 read out of 26 bought. However Harlequins that month 11/24. Regency Reads 0/5. So that's a total for that month of 37/55. (Not counting Baen.)

At the moment I'm finding I can't buy much that interests me so I''ll be catching up on last year's books.

I buy a book that interests me, then before I get to it I buy another one that interests me more. I did the same with paper books.

PKFFW
04-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Until recently I had a pbook collection of around 600 and I've read every one of those. Of course I had read more as well, from the library or borrowed from a friend or ones I had bought but given away. I've gotten rid of most of them but haven't replaced them all with ebooks as yet so my collection is much smaller now.

As for ebooks, I've got 34 and have read all but the final 3 Dresden novels. I'm saving them for my upcoming honeymoon to Fiji. I figure there will have to be some time we are so exhausted from other activities that I can think about doing some reading. ;)

I'm very much a buy what I want to read as I am ready to read it and I keep a list of all the others that I want so I can buy them later.

Cheers,
PKFFW

jabberwock_11
04-17-2010, 12:04 AM
I have a little over 500 ebooks and I would say that I have read about 3/4 of them. I like having complete collections of any series that I may start, but I would not download an ebook if I did not at least PLAN on reading it.

Krystian Galaj
04-17-2010, 07:02 AM
In my case, I like to have a choice, and have the books as easy to reach and as independent from the Net as possible. So I keep books on hard drive, and load as many as I can on e-reader.
If I planned to read every one of them, I'd be getting frustrated that I don't have much choice when almost all are read, and would probably stop reading them completely, as there would be many books I added to collection on the whim and don't really have much of a desire to read.

stargazertony
04-17-2010, 08:16 AM
We have a large e book collection and really set out to read every one of them, however, if the author doesn't hook us in the first 10 pages or so,we don't read the rest of it. We download previews of most books that seem interesting but when it's not the first chapter or beginning pages, we usually don't buy the book. That's like a movie trailer that is interesting but the rest of the movie is junk.

GhostHawk
04-17-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm sure there are authors and books in my collection that I will never get around to.
Nor will I lose any sleep over it if I do not.

However for the most part I collect things that I wish to read.
I have about 4,000 books on my reader and I am chewing my way through them one at a time.

I voted "other because I am somewhere in-between your 2 choices.

I have not read every book, but I plan to.

"I mostly read what I collect, and mostly collect what I like to read, but stuff accumulates"

I am not concerned with reading every book, I just like collecting

abookreader
04-17-2010, 10:33 AM
I think I'm kind of a combination. I have to admit I get a weird sense of satisfaction out of the collecting and completion of sets. I have a good number of books that I just like to own, even if I never do get around to reading them. I also love the ability to go book browsing right in my own home instead of having to drive over to Borders and buy or order from Amazon and wait ... I just cruise through my Calibre and looking for my next good read and I have it instantly.

But .... I very rarely add a book that I don't want to read at least someday. That mythical day in the future where I'll have unlimited reading time available.

BeccaAnn
04-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Looking at Calibre it seems like I have over 900 books but over half of those are RTF files of fanfiction. Actual book number is about 350 and I've read over 3/4 (of course some of those were pbacks and since they are PD classics, I'll probably not read them again).

Tattncat
04-18-2010, 12:14 PM
At the moment, I have approx. 3000 eBooks and 8 bookcases of paper books. I haven't read all of these yet, but I plan on reading them. I collect eBooks by authors, those are read as they are acquired. I am slowly collecting books (I've already read) that are favorites; like Zane Grey, Burroughs, Bronte, etc. I download non-fiction that relates to my personal interests, geology, mineralogy, etc. I download a lot of the free and C.C. Stuff that is how Ifind new authors.

YGG-
04-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I have ~900 e-books in my CyBook;
Some I had already read (classics of some sort) --liked the idea to have them close at hand;
I own ~2000 p-books ; did read them all.

Sweetpea
04-18-2010, 04:56 PM
I just wish I had the time to read all the books I have on my reader... But I also like to re-read my books. I'll probably read most of the books I download (at least all those I bought, probably not all of those I downloaded for free), but just don't ask me when :)

KarenH
04-18-2010, 06:25 PM
I think I'm kind of a combination. I have to admit I get a weird sense of satisfaction out of the collecting and completion of sets. I have a good number of books that I just like to own, even if I never do get around to reading them. I also love the ability to go book browsing right in my own home instead of having to drive over to Borders and buy or order from Amazon and wait ... I just cruise through my Calibre and looking for my next good read and I have it instantly.

But .... I very rarely add a book that I don't want to read at least someday. That mythical day in the future where I'll have unlimited reading time available.

This is me exactly. I have just under 600 books in my Calibre library, and every book I download (purchased or free) I do have an interest in reading someday, but life tends to get in the way and at this point I've only read about 1/3 of what I have. The fact that I have 400 or so books that I haven't read doesn't keep me from continuing to buy more, though! :D

speakingtohe
04-19-2010, 03:38 AM
e-book hoarders:) Too funny but too true.

I have had my reader for a few weeks now and on average I finish a couple of books a day. (I took speed reading in grade school in the 50's) Before my ebook reader, speed reading was a handicap as I couldn't go to work in any town that didn't have a library:(

Now I have too may books and too little time but I am loving it.

Yayafava
04-19-2010, 08:42 AM
I collect a large variety of books, not only fo rme but also for my sisters, broother in law, nieces, grandchildren (of various ages), and anyone I think would enjoy reading them. I have found a lot of interesting stuff on Project Gutenberg that I read and then have a relative or friend interested in the same material and then we have some rather fine discussions. I love doing the storybooks/picture books with my grandchkldren.. Those I usually put on the computer for them and I read from my reader to them. I will be with 6 or more of my grandchildren this summer and having a new reading experience going on with them. I also have a bunch of audiobooks that we will be listening to. I am thinking of calling it the summer of the books.

simplyparticular
04-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I began eReading in 2003. I now own just over 200 ebooks, and according to my Good Reads and Delicious Library counts, I have read over 400 library eBooks (downloaded from the eNYPL and my local library recently added Overdrive's service, too). Plus pBooks (library and owned) over those years is another 300.

I have read (or started and decided not to finish), all but 60 of that total. So I'm averaging about 2 books a week, which seems about right.

I don't collect to collect - I collect to read.

pdurrant
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Really? I maybe read a book a week, which im sure is slow compared to many here (and can differ greatly depending on how busy I am) but I would guess more than the average person. But at a book a week that 500 would be about 10 years worth of books!

edit. Although I guess I am only 23 so 500 books seems like a lot!

I'm 46. 500 books is still a lot, but ten years seems shorter :)

I've been reading ebooks for about seven years. My library contains just over 1800 ebooks that I've bought. I've read just over 1300 of those. (Hmm... about three a week or so.)

So I have about three year's worth of reading material to hand. Life is good!

Of course, I'll probably be buying a few books during that three years, although I'm trying not to buy any until after 8th May, and after that I'm going to try to only buy one for every two or three I read.

wayrad
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
I have between seven and eight hundred ebooks accumulated over the last 10-11 years, and have read all but three or four (some several times). Also 6 or 7 boxes of paperbacks, some of which duplicate some of the ebooks, and all but maybe 8 or 10 of which I've read. And of course there are the ebooks I deleted and the hard copies I've sold or traded, so the grand total is anybody's guess.

Sydney's Mom
04-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I started reading ebooks in November of 2008. I have 1250, which are a combination of bought, free and library. I have read 273 of those. So at about 175 a year, I could conceivable winnow down my TBR list in about eight years. Of course, that would mean I would have to stop downloading books! I have lots of books - and I can't stop buying new books. But then, I have about 6 floor to ceiling bookcases of pbooks, paperbacks double shelved. I bought those because I was afraid I wouldn't have money to buy books when I was old. Between my ebook stash, my pbook stash and my yarn stash, I should be okay, even if I am eating cat food.

pwalker8
04-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I started reading ebooks in 2000 with baen books and have all the baen books. I have read them all, or at least partially read them all (some I didn't care for). Until I got my Sony 500 and the Sony store opened up, I only had a hand full of ebooks that weren't from Baen. Now, I have about 400 more books between Sony and Amazon, which puts me at around 1000. I only have twenty or thirty PD books. I would have a lot more if the books that I have in dead tree format would come out in ebook format. There are quite a few copyright holders who are leaving money on the table by not entering the ebook market.

HistoryWes
04-21-2010, 06:42 PM
I have a few over 5,000 ebooks right now-- more that I have of pbooks, despite having a bookcase in every room including closets and bathrooms. I'll never read all or even most books, but when I finish one, I like to browse through them and pick out which one I feel like reading next.

calvin-c
04-21-2010, 08:17 PM
There are quite a few copyright holders who are leaving money on the table by not entering the ebook market.
Maybe, but don't forget that it costs money to bring out an ebook. If, and my understanding is that until recently this was a big if, the book was saved in a compatible electronic format during the printing process, then it shouldn't cost all that much-but if it wasn't (and if we're talking about a decent quality ebook) then it'd cost a fair amount. Haven't really seen any studies on just how much as too much is dependent on variables, such as the aforementioned variable of whether or not the book was saved in electronic format.

I'll grant you that they're 'leaving money on the table' but until I see more figures on both costs & projected sales I'm not sure I'll grant you that they're leaving any profit on the table-more likely to be losses. (At least they probably *think* it's more likely to be losses. In predicting future sales beliefs often have more influence than facts.)

mikemc2
04-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Me, I'm a collector of media content. In the moment I possess 1,25 TB of capacity to fill with every worthwhile media at hand. So far Ihave only 700 GB occupied with content, mostly animated films and series (I'm an otaku ^^). But I intend to keep loading movies, music, videogames, ebooks, manga, comics, and so on, until those 1250 GB get filled. And once they do, I'll expand the space, ideally with 1 TB more. I have watched perhaps a third of the anime and some of the animated series, but as you can guess, my goal is not to consume it all. Eventually I'd like to get a content consumption device other than my PC, but I don't count on it coming soon. The iPad is a promising concept, but I'll wait until a company friendlier to different formats offers its proposal. My iTouch won't let me see any of the video I've gathered, for example.

Once that I've set up that idea, you can guess that having something like 6 thousand books at the moment is just the dog's biscuits for me. I intend to acquire many more, if possible.
Your iPod Touch will play all of your video. There is a wonderful app call Air Video that will stream video from your PC to your Touch over Wifi. Air Video can pre-convert the video for you or convert it on the fly. I've tried it with several different formats using on the fly conversion and it worked flawlessly. Great picture, no buffering etc...There is a free version you can download to try it, the full app costs ~$3.00.

Oh, 10,000+ books, I'll never read them all.

Logseman
04-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Your iPod Touch will play all of your video. There is a wonderful app call Air Video that will stream video from your PC to your Touch over Wifi. Air Video can pre-convert the video for you or convert it on the fly. I've tried it with several different formats using on the fly conversion and it worked flawlessly. Great picture, no buffering etc...There is a free version you can download to try it, the full app costs ~$3.00.

Oh, 10,000+ books, I'll never read them all.

I guess I could give it a try, let's see if it's in the Spanish store. However, my iPod doesn't play even Quicktime's official formats. I believe it has something to do with the device itself.

mbovenka
04-22-2010, 04:36 AM
I've been seriously reading ebooks since '99 or so, when I got one of the very first Palm Vx-es. I have some 30.000 ebooks (yes, I'm a hoarder :D), so I'll never read them all. Not even if I could keep my speed up to that during my holidays; even that would be the equivalent of 'only' 600 or so books a year, and being 45 now...

And of course real life gets in the way of that anyway ;)

BookCat
04-22-2010, 04:58 AM
I'm a total bibliophile. I love having books; except that the pbooks are taking over my house like triffids! :dots: I've stopped accumulating pbooks and moved to hoarding ebooks. So many books taking up so little space. Bliss!

I intend :rolleyes: to read them all. But I may have to take a few lifetimes to do it. :bookworm:

Sydney's Mom
04-22-2010, 11:14 AM
I intend :rolleyes: to read them all. But I may have to take a few lifetimes to do it. :bookworm:

Perfect. That's my line, and I'm sticking to it!

GA Russell
04-23-2010, 03:08 PM
This thread reinforces my view that people see reading a book to be an accomplishment.

Nobody stops to think about how many television shows he has seen.

Logseman
04-23-2010, 04:45 PM
This thread reinforces my view that people see reading a book to be an accomplishment.

Reading books is more of an accomplishment than watching television. It implies choosing a book, unlike television where the choice is made for you, and sticking to its reading rather intensively, as reading a book usually prevents other activities, while terebi (as the Japanese call it) demands less mental effort, as the imagery is shown to you and you don't have to create it with your imagination like in a book, and it usually features advertising breaks. Plus, books are more prone for building collections than TV shows, which are only seen on TV and not stored.

A sense of accomplishment in the field of television and cinema can be achieved by acquiring a large collection of movies and/or series.

Mrraow
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
About 5,000 pbooks, and around 2,000 ebooks. I've read just about all of them (and the rest are queued) in one format or the other. However, I'm trying to vitualise my collection to save space; so I may not have read many of the ebooks in that format. When I was young, i used to read several books a day; these days, I read maybe two to three books a week; less time, and the books are getting longer!

thersites
04-28-2010, 12:51 AM
I chose other, as I don't do it to collect, but I also don't plan to read them all. Time goes by, and I sometimes lose interest in a book that I thought was interesting at the time I found it. This latter tends to happen with non-fiction, and less so with fiction. I also recognize the futility of thinking I can read them all unless I stop picking up new books for a long time, and I don't seem constitutionally capable of such behavior.

mjhudston
04-28-2010, 04:44 AM
I have read everybook, More than once.

rorschach
12-08-2011, 01:04 PM
At last count I have over 156, 000 ebooks.
I have no intention of reading anywhere like that.

At the mo' I have about 6 K catalogued in Calibre, multiple formats
I seem to be downloading about 1,000 a month currently, I expect this will slow down eventually as I run out of books. I have loads of copies of the same book. For example my Stephen King folder has about 2 k books and I don't think he's written that many :)

HarryT
12-08-2011, 01:06 PM
At last count I have over 156, 000 ebooks.
I have no intention of reading anywhere like that.

At the mo' I have about 6 K catalogued in Calibre, multiple formats
I seem to be downloading about 1,000 a month currently, I expect this will slow down eventually as I run out of books. I have loads of copies of the same book. For example my Stephen King folder has about 2 k books and I don't think he's written that many :)

It's really not a terribly good idea to come to MobileRead and brag about your criminal activities. Nobody is going to think it "cool", and nobody is going to lift one finger to help you should you ever find yourself in need of any assistance.

CRussel
12-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Please, Harry. Do your green thing and make it go away. Sheesh. Dredging up an ancient thread to brag about stolen books to this forum? That is so many different ways of wrong...

ilovejedd
12-08-2011, 01:16 PM
I've got 2,800 ebooks in my Stanza library (collected since 2008 containing a mix of novels, short stories and fanfiction). Yes, I've read every one of them as I tend delete a title if I don't like it. My actual calibre library contains 3,200 titles, so it appears I've finished reading 87.5%. The other 12.5% will forever remain unread as those are the titles I couldn't stand (and I don't have high standards to begin with).

Asawi
12-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Edit: Did not realize it was an old topic with somewhat questionable content.

wodin
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I may not have 500 ebooks, but I have a large fraction of that number. And with the exception of the free ones that came pre-loaded, and ones I started and after a chapter or two decided I didn't like them, I've read every one.

In fact I don't buy a book to read later; I buy it, read it, relegate to archive, then buy another.

abookreader
12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
huh, going on two years later and I think I have even more unread books. :smack:

Fbone
12-08-2011, 03:10 PM
It's really not a terribly good idea to come to MobileRead and brag about your criminal activities. Nobody is going to think it "cool", and nobody is going to lift one finger to help you should you ever find yourself in need of any assistance.

What if the poster lived in Switzerland?

Katie1
12-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Since it was not mentioned where he got them....not sure it should be of consern to anyone.
I have about 500 so far! About 300 were books read in HB the PB formate & I sure I soon get around to reading them in eFormat! Or I would not have purchsed them ...again! I also read library ebooks & listen to Audio but no clue how many!

theducks
12-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I (still) have over a 1000 in my paper library that I have Read. I said still, because some did not come home after lending :angry:
On top of those, 30+ years of Analog S F & F.
Thanks to Project Gutenburg, I have collected some of the ebook versions of books I read from my Parents Library while growing up.
Baen free Library overlaps the paper versions and feeds my addiction :book2:

Apache
12-08-2011, 05:50 PM
I took the poll thinking about my Physical Book collection. I do not know how many I have since I have never counted them. I keep every book I have ever bought. and have been doing so since I was a child so that is over 40 years of buying books. I have one large walk in closet that is converted into a library and the paper back bookcases are double filled and even stacked on the edges. Every room in my house has bookcases and all are filled. I would hate to see where I would be if I had not switched over to ebooks. :bookworm: :book2: :eek: :D
It is a good thing my wife likes to read too. :thumbsup:
Apache

Vic333
12-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I also have some e-book replacements of paper books, and some classics that 'every library should have' that I haven't read in e-format. And I grab book specials that I may or may not get around to, but grab them when they're free/cheap.

bgalbrecht
12-10-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm an ebook hoarder, and a pbook hoarder. For my pbooks, the intent was to read every single one of them, since I paid money for them, but I still have hundreds, perhaps more that I still haven't read. Now that I read ebooks almost exclusively, I don't know whether I will still attempt to read all of the pbooks, or even if I will attempt to scan & OCR them. For ebooks, I intend to read everything I've paid for, but I get a lot of freebies as well which I may never get around to reading. The big problem with the large library is that it does make it harder to decide what to read next.

Phogg
12-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Most of the books I have I read years ago, and sometimes reread.
A few I have had to digitize e myself. Others I rebuy, or get when there is a promotion.

I am now reading tons of classics and public domain books that I was always going to get around to "Someday."

Credence Clearwater Revival was wrong. Someday does come.

crossi
12-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I have 800+ ebooks. About 90 unread. A lot of the books I've read were read in the paper version and just replaced when the ebook version was released. Do those count as read? I don't download even free books unless I think I'll want to read them. I really haven't got a lot of freebies. I don't much care for classics, erotica, business books or christian fiction. Most of the free books are in those genres.

Daithi
12-12-2011, 05:58 PM
I "collected" well over 1,000 ebooks, where the majority of them were classics, and my intention was to read them all. I now know that this is never going to happen. I've read some of them, but quite frankly a lot of them are boring. I now try to read at least one classic a year, but that's it.

Sweetpea
12-13-2011, 05:56 AM
What if the poster lived in Switzerland?

Or the Netherlands....

I "collected" well over 1,000 ebooks, where the majority of them were classics, and my intention was to read them all. I now know that this is never going to happen. I've read some of them, but quite frankly a lot of them are boring. I now try to read at least one classic a year, but that's it.

Once reading become a chore, I'll quit. Which is why I don't do those "read x books a year" things. Or read books because people think I should read them... Which is also why I'll always have books in my library that I might not even read! (at least, not in this life time...)

Phogg
12-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Mh wife and I bought a TV in 1990 while she was pregnant with our first. We sold it in March of 1990.

We just aren't TV people.