View Full Version : Adobe CS5

Moejoe
04-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Adobe have released their latest iteration of their powerhouse design and media packages. The upgrades to CS5 (including the new content-aware fill) seem worth the price of admission.

ZDfTovXc4uE

Va3UL5k34gw

AnemicOak
04-15-2010, 04:55 PM
It looks good. I'm hoping our company will be upgrading.

omk3
04-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Wow. If only I had that kind of money...

=X=
04-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Very cool, the tool has too much muscle for me. On the other hand that delete function looks pretty sweet.

Moejoe
04-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Wow. If only I had that kind of money...

It's waaaaay too expensive, but the internet will provide it for free before too long. ;) Me, I use the Gimp and Inkscape, both free, and both just as useful (there's an equivalent to content aware fill for Gimp and it comes as a plugin).

=X=
04-15-2010, 07:38 PM
It's waaaaay too expensive, but the internet will provide it for free before too long. ;) Me, I use the Gimp and Inkscape, both free, and both just as useful (there's an equivalent to content aware fill for Gimp and it comes as a plugin).

Cool! That's my tool of choice, do you know what that plugin is called?

Moejoe
04-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Cool! That's my tool of choice, do you know what that plugin is called?

I haven't used it yet, but it's called Resynthesizer
http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer

http://linuxers.org/article/adobes-content-aware-fill-huh-gimp-already-had-it-years

Oh, and the Gimp one has been around for years apparently :) (Go Open Source!!)*

*Typed on Chrome in Windows 7 for added horrible irony. :(

omk3
04-15-2010, 07:50 PM
I have been wanting to switch to Gimp for ages (because "Go Open Source!" ;)), but I need to get used to it first, I have worked on Photoshop for too long. Last time I looked it didn't support cmyk, which was kind of a drawback. I also loved the line thickening feature in Illustrator, I would probably use this even more than the content aware fill.

=X=
04-15-2010, 07:55 PM
I haven't used it yet, but it's called Resynthesizer
http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer

http://linuxers.org/article/adobes-content-aware-fill-huh-gimp-already-had-it-years

Oh, and the Gimp one has been around for years apparently :) (Go Open Source!!)*

*Typed on Chrome in Windows 7 for added horrible irony. :(

Yeah, it goes back to my college days. I recall the original coders, also college students where coding this tool up for a class project. They initially started using MOTIF, but found the GUI tool kit too limiting so they start writing their own Graphic library toolkit now known as GTK. They put the tool on hold until they had a usable version of GTK.

The GIMP is a great tool, not as nice as Adobe, but has all the features I need.

[EDIT:]Doh! After visiting your link I get what you meant. :o

=X=

Moejoe
04-15-2010, 08:01 PM
I have been wanting to switch to Gimp for ages (because "Go Open Source!" ;)), but I need to get used to it first, I have worked on Photoshop for too long. Last time I looked it didn't support cmyk, which was kind of a drawback. I also loved the line thickening feature in Illustrator, I would probably use this even more than the content aware fill.

There are some drawbacks, I agree, to using Gimp/Inkscape. I think, but can't give you confirmation, that GEGL will handle CMYK in the Gimp (never done anything for print, so never had the need for CMYK output). I'm not sure about the line thickening feature, but I'm sure it'll be implemented in Inkscape if it's not already there (and I haven't seen it yet). :)

In my own personal experience I found the GIMP/Inkscape when used on Linux a better environment and more forgiving on system requirements than Photoshop / Illustrator. Seems to me that Adobe products get slower and slower with every version and need more and more ram to get any acceptable speed.

Oh, on another note, the Lightworks video editor has been open sourced also http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/oscar-winning-video-editor-goes-open.html

omk3
04-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I'll definitely play with Gimp/Inkscape some more when I find the time.

As for the ram/speed issue, isn't it the case with everything? I'm pretty sure that even if I somehow got CS5 for free (ahem), I would still have to buy a brand new laptop for it to run.

Moejoe
04-15-2010, 08:30 PM
I'll definitely play with Gimp/Inkscape some more when I find the time.

As for the ram/speed issue, isn't it the case with everything? I'm pretty sure that even if I somehow got CS5 for free (ahem), I would still have to buy a brand new laptop for it to run.

I find I get a lot more bang out of my machines when using a Linux / Gimp / Inkscape set-up. This crappy iMac I'm running Wndows 7 on now is a Core 2 Duo with 1gb ram. Under Snow Leopard I can forget even trying to use Photoshop CS4, the same with Windows 7. Same machine, same ram using Crunchbang 9.04 and The Gimp and I can quite easily do a lot of the work I would do in Photoshop and listen to some music, surf at the same time. :)

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary.

omk3
04-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, I said before that I have been wanting to switch to Gimp for ages.
I've also been wanting to get away from Windows for ages. Unfortunately I am now almost convinced that I will never really try it. Too scared of any problems/incompatibilities and so on that might arise.
Maybe, if I find a spare computer to experiment on. And enough time. And so on.
:)
In the meantime, windows itself keeps eating up all my system resources, just to be "prettier".

Moejoe
04-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Well, I said before that I have been wanting to switch to Gimp for ages.
I've also been wanting to get away from Windows for ages. Unfortunately I am now almost convinced that I will never really try it. Too scared of any problems/incompatibilities and so on that might arise.
Maybe, if I find a spare computer to experiment on. And enough time. And so on.
:)
In the meantime, windows itself keeps eating up all my system resources, just to be "prettier".

To paraphrase an old joke and modify it a little:

Linux (and Open Source) is the most fun you can have with all your clothes still on.

For me, using Linux is like computing when I first got a computer. New things to discover all the time, advances every single day, and a level of enthusiasm and community that none of the other OS's can even touch at this point - and all this for free too :)

Toxaris
04-16-2010, 03:02 AM
I am very fortunate that my wife works for a school. Therefore we have the Adobe CS4 suite for only €25 (that's right...), including Photoshop, Indesign, Dreamweaver, Acrobat and more... I hope we can get the same deal for CS5.

Penforhire
04-16-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll be upgrading. I still run CS2 and the biggest issue for me is Adobe stopped updating their camera RAW file support for older versions.

guyanonymous
04-17-2010, 11:56 AM
You used to be able to download Camera RAW separately from their site (as a registered user)...at least for a few years after CS2. That's how I kept up-to-date. Have you checked their support/download area - just in case?

http://www.adobe.ca/downloads/updates/

Right at the top - maybe try that (if you haven't already). At least in the CS3 era, downloading the file here allowed me to replace/update my cs2 raw stuff.