View Full Version : Yet Another Kindle Manga converter...

talz13
04-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey all, I've just made lots of changes to my manga converter:

http://code.google.com/p/kindlemanga

It'll process rar / zip / cbr / cbz files into folders to be put on the kindle (no extra ability to convert to DX resolution yet).

kindlemanga will attempt to populate the series/title, volume number, and chapter number from the archive filename and/or directory name. If it gets the series name wrong, you can just highlight all the volumes / chapters you want to retitle, and rename them in the Series Name field. Simple enough, and no need to organize your files!

The output folder names will look something like this (from the conversion in the screenshot below):
Lucky_Star-vol.001-ch.001

Please let me know how it is, it's the first app that might actually be useful for people :)

Download here! (http://code.google.com/p/kindlemanga/downloads/list)

http://kindlemanga.googlecode.com/files/kindlemanga-screen-1.png

talz13
04-25-2010, 12:13 PM
4/25: Lots of updates to kindlemanga. Check out the latest version at my google code page!

Anarel
04-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Cool! So no need to organize it up by book and chapter before using this?

Any chance this might be made available for mac?

talz13
04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
It could be made available for mac, I am looking at getting it running on linux, and there (hopefully) wouldn't be many changes for os x. I'm just not sure how to distribute it on linux / os x. It's so easy to zip up the file made with py2exe for windows!

Cool! So no need to organize it up by book and chapter before using this?

As long as you either store your manga in folders by series (i.e. bleach\volume1.zip, etc.) or if your zip/rar files have the title in the filename (i.e. Highschool_of_the_Dead_[XLG]_c25_LQ.zip), it should be able to figure out the series / volume / chapter.

Ayle
07-09-2010, 11:09 AM
The "populate" function sounds really useful, i was wondering if it can output zip/rar for reading in PC, (I use manga meeya, lovely reader, but manually renaming and ordering files is really slow), and I'm setting my sights on a sony reader, that can use calibri to convert zip/rar to lrf, the native format. So it would be an awesome feature to have!
Thanks a lot, i know its kind of a selfish request, but would make a really useful tool for me and maybe other people looking for something like this.

Diegan
07-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Does this work well for comics and Kindle DX size?

Shike
08-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Just tried this recently, and it almost works perfectly for me.

The only issue I notice is that is that it splits landscape images, and while not necessarily a problem on its own it reverses their order.

Would you consider an option to just rotate rather than split, or fix page order?

Other than that I think it's substantially more useful than Mangle even.

talz13
08-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Just tried this recently, and it almost works perfectly for me.

The only issue I notice is that is that it splits landscape images, and while not necessarily a problem on its own it reverses their order.

Would you consider an option to just rotate rather than split, or fix page order?

I might be able to make it rotate 90 degrees. Right now it does split landscape pages on purpose, since I felt that double wide was too hard to see on my kindle 2 :chinscratch:

When you say the split page order is reversed, is the right side of the page first? If so, I did it that way for left-to-right reading direction for manga. I might add an option for LTR or RTL in the future.

Other than that I think it's substantially more useful than Mangle even.
Thanks for that! It made my day:D

talz13
08-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Does this work well for comics and Kindle DX size?

It should work okay for comics, but landscape images will be reverse ordered when they are split right now. This may be addressed in the future.

As for the DX, I will need to add a resolution switch. If you can, could you take a screenshot on your DX? From here (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2009/10/weird-kindle-tricks-screensavers-screenshots-and-games.ars) I found:From any screen on a Kindle 2 or DX, just hit Alt + Shift + G and the screen will flash. From there, plug the Kindle into your computer via its USB cable and navigate to the Kindle's "documents" folder. Inside the folder are all the various books you might have stored on the device, but search for a filename that begins with "screen-shot." It should show up as a black and white GIF file like some of the ones we're using in this article.

If you can take a screenshot of any screen that has the top status bar visible, I will work on adding support for the DX.

NiLuJe
08-02-2010, 07:39 AM
The DX resolution is 824x1200 ;).

talz13
08-02-2010, 07:52 AM
The DX resolution is 824x1200 ;).

Correct, but I'd just like to know how big the status bar is since I subtract that from the resolution when converting for kindle 2.

NiLuJe
08-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Oh, okay ;). AFAIK, it's the same size as on a K2, but I may be wrong.

EDIT: Yes, it is. Top panel 40px, bottom 34px.

talz13
08-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Oh, okay ;). AFAIK, it's the same size as on a K2, but I may be wrong.

EDIT: Yes, it is. Top panel 40px, bottom 34px.

Thanks, then all I need to do is add a toggle or something for kindle / DX :D

Ayle
08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
How much manga can you fit into 3GB (kindle 3?) Price is tempting, but no expandable storage may be a deal breaker.

talz13
08-10-2010, 03:46 PM
How much manga can you fit into 3GB (kindle 3?) Price is tempting, but no expandable storage may be a deal breaker.

You won't be able to fit TONS of it on there, but judging from the size of the few volumes I have on my kindle 2, 20-35 volumes sounds reasonable for 1.4GB on the kindle 2. That could be about 40-70 volumes on a 3GB kindle 3.

lanfearl
08-13-2010, 12:36 AM
so can you fix this so it displays two pages ones correctly? Then it would be perfect.

Shike
08-14-2010, 06:20 PM
I might be able to make it rotate 90 degrees. Right now it does split landscape pages on purpose, since I felt that double wide was too hard to see on my kindle 2 :chinscratch:

When you say the split page order is reversed, is the right side of the page first? If so, I did it that way for left-to-right reading direction for manga. I might add an option for LTR or RTL in the future.

Thanks for that! It made my day:D

Sorry I haven't posted back in a while. You're right that it's RTL, since that's how most scanslations are organized IME. For example:

Named - Actual Page

01 - pg1
02 - pg2
03 - pg3

For LTR to work would require:

Named - Actual Page

01 - pg1
03 - pg2
02 - pg3

Unless I'm missing something :?

Anyway, a RTL option should solve it as long as it doesn't impact the other non-split page order. I'm not a fan of rotation either, but whichever is easier for you if you can add one would be very helpful :D

Ayle
11-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Got the Sony 650 at the end :) I still think your program may be fantastic even for pc manga readers as the automatic populate function would be awesome at putting order at manga folders :) May I ask for cbz/cbr output? It could then be used with calibre, ergo with any sony/nook/others readers. Thanks!

talz13
11-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Got the Sony 650 at the end :) I still think your program may be fantastic even for pc manga readers as the automatic populate function would be awesome at putting order at manga folders :) May I ask for cbz/cbr output? It could then be used with calibre, ergo with any sony/nook/others readers. Thanks!

Sorry I've been away for so long, been busy with lots of other stuff for a while. Also, I can't seem to get my code to run on my other PC that I'm using all the time. The python code works fine on my desktop at home and on my virtual-xp, but not on my work PC (also XP)... I might get around to making updates someday :smack:

Regarding other types of output, I don't think I'll be including that as the main purpose of my app is to take an archive file INPUT and write all the contents to a folder. Changing the output to archive files (cbz and cbr are just regular zip and rar files, AFAIK) would just be changing the function of the app to a glorified rename command :xmas:

I'm not saying it wouldn't be helpful, just that it doesn't add much functionality for what I need it to do (output stuff to read on my kindle).

Ayle
11-04-2010, 09:08 AM
awwwww oh well, thanks for considering it anyhow. Though I've never seen something that actually put order to manga ^^ so congrats on that idea. Will look if there are other alternatives, I would really like such a glorified rename program ^^