View Full Version : Books I've bought from fictionwise

lene1949
04-10-2010, 04:20 AM
I just put ereader on my ipod touch, and thought I could go into my Bookshelf at fictionwise and redownload all the books I've bought... Not so... 40% could not be downloaded.

They do have an explanation about books expired, but they only accounted for 6%..

When geo restrictions first appeared they said that books you had already bought could be downloaded again...

NOT HAPPY... :ranting:

pdurrant
04-10-2010, 05:10 AM
With eReader you shouldn't need to re-download your books. You'll just need to enter your name an CC details.

The problem with non-download of books at fictionwise is the agency model deals with publishers, and that fictionwise haven't been able to come to any agreement yet.

All this is yet another great argument against DRM.

I just put ereader on my ipod touch, and thought I could go into my Bookshelf at fictionwise and redownload all the books I've bought... Not so... 40% could not be downloaded.

They do have an explanation about books expired, but they only accounted for 6%..

When geo restrictions first appeared they said that books you had already bought could be downloaded again...

NOT HAPPY... :ranting:

lene1949
04-10-2010, 06:25 AM
I used to read on my Palm Zire 72... and I still have the books there... Now I just want them on my Ipod in the same format.:blink:

pdurrant
04-10-2010, 06:43 AM
I used to read on my Palm Zire 72... and I still have the books there... Now I just want them on my Ipod in the same format.:blink:

You mentioned eReader format. The copy protection (DRM) system in the eReader format works by requiring you to enter the name and CC Number used to encrypt the file, usually the one used to pay for it, but in any case, the one entered into fictionwise's system when the file was downloaded.

To read your eReader files on your iPod Touch, download the iPod Touch eReader software from the iTunes Store, and then... Oh.

Ah. I see the problem now. There's no way to copy the eReader books you have on your computer into the eReader application on your iPod Touch.

I don't have any experience wit this, or I'd have spotted it sooner.

I think that Calibre might be able to help out, by providing a web server of your eReader books, from which you could download to the iPod Touch. Perhaps ask in the Calibre conference?

ChristopherTD
04-10-2010, 08:12 AM
If you have the book(s) that you want to read on your PC, then you can upload them to your Personal Bookshelf at Fictionwise and download them from there to the iPod Touch. Somewhat back to front, but it does work (gets tedious mighty quick). There are other ways but none of them terribly straightforward because a simple web server doesn't work as eReader requires a ereader:// formatted link (don't ask).

pdurrant
04-10-2010, 08:15 AM
If you have the book(s) that you want to read on your PC, then you can upload them to your Personal Bookshelf at Fictionwise

Oh - I didn't know about that. Yes, that seems the simplest solution. See this link: http://www.fictionwise.com/help/personalcontent.htm and in particular, Method 2: Personal Content Server.

lene1949
04-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Thank you...