View Full Version : The Great LCD Brightness/Distance Experiment

jupstin
04-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I'm a Kindle owner/e-Ink lover (enthusiast?) I've owned 4 different e-ink devices over the years, and I have always been in the camp that feels there is less eyestrain with an e-ink device because there is no refreshing or backlight.

Well, I decided that I'd try an experiment. I easily spend about 6-8 hours in front of 2 LCD screens every weekday, and I tend to get eyestrain by the end of the day. I've lowered the brightness on my monitors, and moved my primary monitor from about 24 inches away from my eyes to about 12 inches away from my eyes. We'll see how it goes.

Let the Great Experiment BEGIN!!!

http://images.zap2it.com/gallery/d/186955-1/davidcross_arresteddevelopment_140.jpg

Sweetpea
04-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Your experiment is flawed from the start...

Whenever you experiment, you only change one parameter at a time. So, first you either move away or you adjust the brightness. Then you see what the effect is, and then you change the other parameter. Check the effect again. Finally, you change both and check again...

jupstin
04-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Good point - I've changed the experiment. I spent an 8 hour day with my normal brightness at the closer distance. My eyes hate me. Today I'm trying lower brightness at regular distance. So far, I'd say that the contrast seems to suffer quite a bit, but it's too early in the day to really say.

Steven Lyle Jordan
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Off to a good start.

Now, you need to get nine other people to do the same thing to, plus ten other people to expose to the original setting for the same amount of time (the control group). Then get back to us.

Jellby
04-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Off to a good start.

Now, you need to get nine other people to do the same thing to, plus ten other people to expose to the original setting for the same amount of time (the control group). Then get back to us.

... and have neither those people nor yourself know which group they are in :D

dadioflex
04-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Edit.

jupstin
04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Perhaps I should have called this thread, The Great LCD Brightness/Distance "Experiment"

I realize it may not be scientifically valid, but at least I have the hope of alleviating some of my own eye strain. So far, normal distance plus reduced brightness seems to be the winner. I can say with 100% confidence that all people in the world who are exactly like me will experience the same result. Also - brighter and closer is like two hands grabbing your eyeballs from inside your skull.

jupstin
04-13-2010, 11:00 AM
What's on these screens?
I'd like to say "8 hours a day of hard work," but the truth is something more like a whole lot of blog reading with a little bit of work thrown in.