View Full Version : IAds=free ebooks?

bwana
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Would you read a free ebook filled with IAds?

EowynCarter
04-09-2010, 09:50 AM
No. I'm allergic to ads in any form.

lene1949
04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Nope I'd rather pay...

FlorenceArt
04-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't have a problem with paying for books. I pay for food, clothes and a lot of other things. I do have a problem with ads. No, I would not download a book with ads.

luqmaninbmore
04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I can always ignore the ads or perhaps write a script to strip them out. So I would definitely read them. I have no problem reading my old wowio PDFs which contain ads.

leebase
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I read magazines that have ads, I don't imagine that a book with ads would bother me. I doubt, though, that iAds is going to be in the books. It will be used in the apps.

Lee

Ravensknight
04-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Nope...

TallMomof2
04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe, if the ads were limited to the beginning or end of the book.

Lirael
04-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Not at all - and if I somehow got one with ads, I'd make a point of NEVER buying/using the advertised products.

BooksForABuck
04-09-2010, 02:59 PM
From what I've seen, ads are a hard sale in eBooks. It's too easy to flip by them, and the market is so segmented it's hard to aggregate and monetize. I really think that affordable prices and no ads makes a more compelling solution for everyone.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com

CyGuy
04-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Not at all - and if I somehow got one with ads, I'd make a point of NEVER buying/using the advertised products.

Wow, I thought that I was the only one who did that! If I click on a video in a news article but they make me watch a commercial first, I absolutely make a point to steer clear of that product.

MovieBird
04-09-2010, 03:30 PM

I've heard it (cynically) said, that the object of advertisements is not to sell a product to the public, but to sell the need for advertising to a company.

I like to think ads don't affect me, but would corporations really spend all that money if it didn't work?

CyGuy
04-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I've heard it (cynically) said, that the object of advertisements is not to sell a product to the public, but to sell the need for advertising to a company.

I like to think ads don't affect me, but would corporations really spend all that money if it didn't work?

I also like to think that ads don't affect me, at least not the way they are intended to. For me, if I see constant commercials for a product or service, it makes me wonder how they can sell me the product/service and "save me hundreds a year on car insurance" (or whatever) when they are spending tens of millions on advertising? In my mind, if you are spending that much on advertising then you are overcharging for your product/service!

DawnFalcon
04-09-2010, 03:48 PM
You're assuming that it'll mean the book's free. Bad assumption.

Kali Yuga
04-09-2010, 07:30 PM
The point is moot, since mobile ads will never generate enough revenue to support anything other than the absolute cheapest of books.

The most likely situation is that they'll do the same thing they do with paperbacks -- tack on a few book ads at the beginning or end of a book.

delphidb96
04-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Would you read a free ebook filled with IAds?

Not only no, but *HELL NO*!

Even with aggressive email filtering I get *enough* junk mail and electronics ads to suffice me for the rest of my life - each and every single day! So why in Sam Hell would I voluntarily accept *more* e-crud? Just so I can assuage my (non-existent) 'guilt' over reading a 'free' ebook? Nope.

Derek

AprilHare
04-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd pay for ebooks rather than put up with free ones with IAds.
IAnything=bad.

Lirael
04-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Wow, I thought that I was the only one who did that! If I click on a video in a news article but they make me watch a commercial first, I absolutely make a point to steer clear of that product.

Cool!

XD Hee, I thought I was the only one. Now if only more people would do so...

Jellby
04-10-2010, 05:25 AM

The main point of advertisement is making a brand or product known. You won't be hurrying to the nearest shop to buy it, you won't get a feel that you need to possess it, but after you have seen hundreds of ads of brand X, next time you are confronted with the choice between brand X, and some other brand that you have never heard of... you'll be more likely to choose brand X.

MovieBird
04-10-2010, 11:39 AM
next time you are confronted with the choice between brand X, and some other brand that you have never heard of... you'll be more likely to choose brand X.

Would that not be influencing my purchasing decisions, i.e. affecting me?

I'm rather price conscious, I like to do quick mental calculations in the market to see if the new (smaller) package is still a good buy versus the store brand. As I said above, I like to think ads don't influence me whatsoever, but maybe they do, or maybe they do for all those other people :D

Jellby
04-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Would that not be influencing my purchasing decisions, i.e. affecting me?

Yes, my point is that it might be influencing you even if you think it isn't. It's not a direct influence, if you finally buy it, it will not be because you saw the ad, but seing the ad once and again probably makes you think it's a known, respectable brand. If you are price-conscious you may discard the known, expensive brands, but among the cheap brands, you might be more likely to select the known, cheap brand, rather than the unknown, slightly cheaper one.

It could be different for you specifically, but I guess the above is how it works for most people. I also think I'm rather immune to advertisement (I always mute the commercials on TV and read instead of watching them, for instance), but I know having heard of a product/brand can influence my choices.

dmaul1114
04-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Depends on how many adds, and whether they are something where you have to watch an video before going on etc.

If it's just an page with an ad here and there and you could just flip right by them liking flipping any other page, then I could deal with it. No different than reading a magazine--though I'd want the ads much less prevalent in a book.

With other apps, if it's some random utility I'll just use every once in a while I'd definitely take a free app with ads, over a paid app with no ads.

But I'd say in general I'm not a super anti AD person. They are the main way we find out about many products. The vast majority I have no interest in, but I'll sometimes see an add for something--be hit food, some new gadget etc., and want to try it out.

GlenBarrington
04-13-2010, 07:50 AM
N/T means no text!