View Full Version : Have random people in the street asked you about your e-Reader?

Logseman
04-09-2010, 04:51 AM
I was reading a Spanish ebook forum where this question has surged, and I found it interesting to ask here. In Spain, ebook readers are quite a novelty still so people are curious about them and ask their owners. This being an international forum it's possible to find some more interesting stories about people discovering eReaders through our MR fellows.

Aside of the main question, there is another one related that I'd like to put here as well: Have you found random people in the street with an eReader?

TGS
04-09-2010, 05:00 AM
I was reading a Spanish ebook forum where this question has surged, and I found it interesting to ask here. In Spain, ebook readers are quite a novelty still so people are curious about them and ask their owners. This being an international forum it's possible to find some more interesting stories about people discovering eReaders through our MR fellows.

Aside of the main question, there is another one related that I'd like to put here as well: Have you found random people in the street with an eReader?

Not on the street, but in my university library people come up and ask me (very quietly) what it is.

I know no-one else who has a reader though several people "are going to get one soon", and I've never even seen anyone else with one except at a symposium last week - but he was English so I'm not sure it really counts.

PKFFW
04-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Not so much random people because I don't read out in public much. However, I meet alot of people through work and when they see me reading on my ereader they almost always ask about it.

Over the last few days though every single person who has asked about it has asked if it is the new iPad!

Cheers,
PKFFW

mbelec
04-09-2010, 08:09 AM
That's funny; people at my work have asked me if I'm using a kindle. I have a sony. Most don't realize that there's more than one brand out there or that there could be differences.

ficbot
04-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Yes. Two little old ladies at my hairdresser approached me one day (I was under a lamp for 45 minutes to get highlights) and asked me if my Sony reader was a Kindle. And a lady on the bus was very curious about my Kindle one day. Around Christmas time, a young couple approached me at a Starbucks. There have been a few other times.

GhostHawk
04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Not on the street, Doctors office, anyplace where I have to sit and wait for something.

I'd say about half people ask if its a kindle I'm using, the other half don't have a clue what it is or does.

Dellaster
04-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Not on the street, Doctors office, anyplace where I have to sit and wait for something.

I'd say about half people ask if its a kindle I'm using, the other half don't have a clue what it is or does.

Same here during some medical tests last year. From the ones who took my weight and blood pressure, to the x-ray tech, to both doctors (one male, one female), I spent as much or more time discussing my Kindle 2 as my condition. The female doctor actually sat down to chat! In an HMO clinic where you never see the doctor -- or anyone else -- one second longer than what's required. (Long waits, brief encounters.)

Pretty much every one of them was on the edge, ready to take the plunge with just a small push.

Mai
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
where I live e-readers are extremely rare, no where I saw one before, My sister's teacher in collage has a Kindle and she came home telling how amazing it is, so when I got mine (Sony 600) I got few questions, my coworkers mistook it for iPad :), and a school kid approached me thinking it's a new game console. my friend says when reading ebooks I look silly , because I'll be sitting for sometime staring at a piece of plastic.

Lady Blue
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
I've had 2 doctors and 3 nurses (on different occasions) and my hairdresser ask me about my Sony Reader. One of the nurses asked me "is that a Kindle?" and I felt my blood pressure rise immediately. I don't know why I reacted like that, except that I have a strong aversion to using trademark names to refer to all products in a general category, such as Kleenex and Xerox, and now Kindle. It just irks me.

I've never been asked about my reader under any other circumstances like in a waiting room, or at a park, and I've never seen anyone else in the wild with an ebook reader.

TallMomof2
04-09-2010, 06:32 PM
All the time. If I have time, I demonstrate my Kindle and tell them about other readers, too.

dmaul1114
04-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I got asked about my kindle a couple of times--on flights, the subway etc. But to be fair it doesn't leave the house that often.

My girlfriend had her iPad with her today, and she was getting asked a ton about it in the waiting room etc.

Kali Yuga
04-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Not too often. Typically it's friends and acquaintances who will ask about it.

owlrigh
04-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Not so much random people because I don't read out in public much.

This. I usually read at home, and so there's no-one about to ask me about it. When at work I usually am found reading -- on my ipod touch, and people assume it's an iphone. I think they've gotten the idea that I use it for reading by now, or watching stuff ... giggling inanely to myself at some episode of a show.

When I take my Sony, though, that's when they ask questions. What's that? Etc. Even if they've seen me using it before; a few cells short of a full house, I think.

Only once when I was reading on the street (literally: walking) did someone ask me about it, and assumed it was a Kindle. I then had to explain about different sorts of ebook readers, and this was pre-Nook and all the other nifty type days!

Treven
04-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I have my Sony reader with me wherever I go. The only reaction I get is people ask me if it's a Kindle. I guess people aren't aware there are different brands of readers. I guess Kindle is the first mass-market reader.

GraceKrispy
04-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I donʻt get asked by random people, but I do sometimes get asked by people I know while I am out and about, reading. I have only seen one person irl with an ereader (a random person across the plane aisle from me). It was a kindle. I have a sony.

when people do ask, I get in full on advertiser mode, though! They find out more than they even wanted to know about ereaders. Most are pretty interested in getting one of their own. Invariably, they ask me if mine is a nook or a kindle though. *sigh* :D

Lirael
04-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Occasionally - people at my library have asked, and people on the bus. Usually, they ask, "Oh, is that a Kindle?" and then I explain that while it reads ebooks, it's a different model of reader.

Most of them just get confused, but one person actually was like, "Ooh, why did you pick that one? I've been looking at a bunch of readers and trying to decide which one to get!" so we had a nice discussion about different models and what they do. :)

shootingMaNs
04-12-2010, 12:50 AM
No one at work has ever actually asked about my reader, but whenever I read it out in public, I get quite a few questions or comments. Someone last week asked me how I liked my Ipad, had to explain to him it was an ebook reader, then he totally lost interest. Mostly they ask if it's a Kindle. I've only had one or two people who really seemed interested beyond that.

ziegl027
04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Mine is the only e-reader I've seen in actual use (e.g. not a store display). I get a lot of questions about it at work (a veterinary teaching hospital), a few out and about (a cafe in Phoenix). Most do ask if it's a Kindle or "like a Kindle".

Steven Lyle Jordan
04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
In the Washington DC area you regularly see a few Kindles and Sonys on buses and trains, and a few other brands occasionally.

Of course, no one asks me, because I read from a smartphone, and everyone who realizes what I'm doing thinks that's crazy! (But I'm too busy to notice, because I'm staring at someone reading on a Blackberry, and I just think that's crazy! :rolleyes:)

dmaul1114
04-12-2010, 02:58 PM
My girlfriend and I got asked about her iPad again yesterday while surfing the net waiting for our food in a restaurant.