View Full Version : FYI, I am selling my Edge.

paulckennedy
04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I have posted my Edge for sale in the Forum area in case anyone wants to make an offer.

Entourage Edge (Midnight Blue) (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=861213#post861213)

mgm1979
04-07-2010, 01:36 PM
say it ain't so!

paulckennedy
04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Yes. It is sad to say but as nice as it is and it is a nice device, I simply haven't fallen in love with it. It is too nice a device to simply age from disuse so I am letting it go free. Maybe I can help out one of our OverSeas friends with it. I thought I would put it up for offer here before I trigger an EBay sale for it.

Batman Jr.
04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes. It is sad to say but as nice as it is and it is a nice device, I simply haven't fallen in love with it. It is too nice a device to simply age from disuse so I am letting it go free. Maybe I can help out one of our OverSeas friends with it. I thought I would put it up for offer here before I trigger an EBay sale for it.

Hi Paul,

We traded some anticipatory messages before the first shipment. Just curious - was there something in particular that you were expecting that didn't pan out, or did it just not trip your trigger in reality as it did in concept? Thanks.

paulckennedy
04-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, it is hard to say. I guess my sights were way too high when I was given exactly the capabilities of the device. The annotation, beautiful pdf capabilities, 2 screen displays, and excellent library design are better than I expected but it is still too unpolished for my daily use. The power consumption is on par with what was advertised, I just didn't really take into mind how USED to the ALWAYS on of the DX I was. If the SDK was available then developing for it would be real tempting. For me, the whole thing is just not clicking with me and I don't want it to just sit around and not be used.

I really can't put my finger on the one reason why but I know that now is when I need to change. I stand behind every observation I have made about the device. Unfortunately, the eDGe and I just don't fit like I hoped we would.

borisb
04-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Sounds like my experience with the netbook I bought a year and a half ago. Initially it was very gee-wiz given its small size yet reasonable capabilities. But I soon realized that given my desktop and powerful full size laptop, the netbook really wasn't doing anything useful for me.

Batman Jr.
04-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Well, it is hard to say. I guess my sights were way too high when I was given exactly the capabilities of the device. The annotation, beautiful pdf capabilities, 2 screen displays, and excellent library design are better than I expected but it is still too unpolished for my daily use. The power consumption is on par with what was advertised, I just didn't really take into mind how USED to the ALWAYS on of the DX I was. If the SDK was available then developing for it would be real tempting. For me, the whole thing is just not clicking with me and I don't want it to just sit around and not be used.

I really can't put my finger on the one reason why but I know that now is when I need to change. I stand behind every observation I have made about the device. Unfortunately, the eDGe and I just don't fit like I hoped we would.

Makes sense to me; as an often wishy-washy person I admire your decisiveness ;). Take care.

paulckennedy
04-07-2010, 07:29 PM
I still want a dedicated reader and I will divert the funds from the eDGe to one of the other new readers on the market. I am DEFINATELY not turning away from eBooks.

Batman Jr.
04-10-2010, 11:03 PM
I still want a dedicated reader and I will divert the funds from the eDGe to one of the other new readers on the market. I am DEFINATELY not turning away from eBooks.

Hey Paul,

I just noticed your "Device" listing is changed to iPad; how are you liking it so far?

sarah11918
04-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Sorry you and the eDGe didn't work out, Paul. I remember you were one of the ones waiting for your pre-order at the same time I was. I guess it's good for me that I had never been spoiled by an earlier device to which the eDGe just wouldn't live up.

I'm also curious to know how you like the iPad, and how you see yourself using it.

paulckennedy
04-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I am surprisingly delighted with the iPad so far.

My wife and kids as well as alot of my friends were of the mind that I was being Bi-Polar. In a way, I guess I was but for a Bi-Polar moment I won't regret the decision.

The responsiveness of the iPad is amazing. Reading in iBooks is great. I am also glad to have my Kindle books back. I downloaded GoodRead and I still have to figure out how to get PDFs onto it.

I really had high hopes for the eDGe. I am certain that it will be a great device for those who purchased it. I thought I could be able to handle the bleeding eDGe ( joke ) but again I was just spoiled by the features of the Kindle DX.

The power on the iPad goes all day. I know it is not weeks like the DX but it is long enough that it fully charges at night while I am sleeping.

I have already had to use my Monthly Service token because I entered the FAP policy with HughesNet. I am going to have to watch that in the future. hehe.

sarah11918
04-11-2010, 02:39 PM
So, you're using it as a reader, then? I just know if I had one, all I'd ever do is play games on it! :)

paulckennedy
04-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah, it's a reader. Hehe. Biggest problem I got right now is trying to getting it away from my family. The just want to keep playing "Tap Tap Radiation". Hehe. 500 dollars for a big photo frame/ guitar hero wanna-be.

DaleDe
04-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I am surprisingly delighted with the iPad so far.

My wife and kids as well as alot of my friends were of the mind that I was being Bi-Polar. In a way, I guess I was but for a Bi-Polar moment I won't regret the decision.

The responsiveness of the iPad is amazing. Reading in iBooks is great. I am also glad to have my Kindle books back. I downloaded GoodRead and I still have to figure out how to get PDFs onto it.

I really had high hopes for the eDGe. I am certain that it will be a great device for those who purchased it. I thought I could be able to handle the bleeding eDGe ( joke ) but again I was just spoiled by the features of the Kindle DX.

The power on the iPad goes all day. I know it is not weeks like the DX but it is long enough that it fully charges at night while I am sleeping.

I have already had to use my Monthly Service token because I entered the FAP policy with HughesNet. I am going to have to watch that in the future. hehe.

So the iPAD has full screen support for your Kindle books?

Dale

paulckennedy
04-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes, it does. It doesn't have anything special as far as page turns and it doesn't have 2 page view but it isn't a bad app. The question I have is whether I will be able to get magazines from Amazon.

zetareticuli
07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I am sorry to say that in a way I feel the same way as Paul. I won't be selling my eDGe, though. I will be keeping the eDGe but now I do all my reading on the iPad. I am satisfied with the eDGe overall and it has very nice features but it is too bulky and heavy. I can see how the device would be useful to students in a classroom. Rather then carrying so many books, you would be carrying the eDGe. However, I am not a student anymore. Don't get me wrong. It is a very nice device and I still enjoy using it at times but it is not my preferred device for reading. The iPad is.

Franky
07-23-2010, 07:32 AM
so who don't you take a peek at the Pandigital Novel?

zetareticuli
07-25-2010, 02:37 PM
The Pan novel seems neat but I am looking for a device that is pure eInk. The price of the Pan novel is tempting but I don't want an LCD screen for reading.

gastan
07-25-2010, 02:57 PM
...it is not my preferred device for reading. The iPad is.

The Pan novel seems neat but I am looking for a device that is pure eInk. The price of the Pan novel is tempting but I don't want an LCD screen for reading.

Uhmmmm .... isn't the iPad an LCD screen?

zetareticuli
07-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Yes, it is. However, as much as I love the iPad and I think it is the best reader for PDFs, I am not invulnerable to the eye strain. This is the primary reason I am looking for an eInk.

Franky
07-27-2010, 05:24 AM
why don't you get yourself an Irex DR800SG?

zetareticuli
07-27-2010, 03:48 PM
My primary focus is reading technical PDFs including scientific documents and technical manuals. I think I need something a bit larger than the DR800. I was thinking something like the Kindle DX Graphite model.

Franky
07-28-2010, 07:46 AM
My primary focus is reading technical PDFs including scientific documents and technical manuals. I think I need something a bit larger than the DR800. I was thinking something like the Kindle DX Graphite model.

ok, makes sense. but what about a DR1000 if you can get your hands on? seems to me comparable.

zetareticuli
07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
That would be a good choice. However, I don't think it is easy to find one these days. Also, I have heard from others (not from my own experience) that the DR1000 is sluggish with PDFs and that browsing a PDF is slow. I have also seen the videos on YouTube where I see that as well. Seems slow to me.

That being said, I think that the Kindle DXG is the only option right now. Of course, in a matter of months there will probably be better devices out there.