View Full Version : What's up with Random House?

Skydog
04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought that Random House was not (yet) included in the agency model scheme and yet I have found several of their titles on Amazon with large price increases. Example below of a new title from Delcorte Press (RH) at a whopping $16.50. :zoiks:

No sale! :tdown:

http://www.amazon.com/Tudors-Complete-Englands-Notorious-ebook/dp/B0036S4DY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1270579393&sr=1-1

Billjr13
04-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Voting with your wallet! I agree, if you feel the value is not there dont buy it. I still feel market forces can correct this shift in pricing.

DawnFalcon
04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I thought that Random House was not (yet) included in the agency model scheme and yet I have found several of their titles on Amazon with large price increases.

Has their list price changed, or just the price Amazon are selling their books at?

riemann42
04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't put it past Amazon for sticking it to the one (major) publisher that isn't forcing them to raise (or in some cases lower) prices.

To be fair, the title you mention is more expensive everywhere else.

Skydog
04-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't put it past Amazon for sticking it to the one (major) publisher that isn't forcing them to raise (or in some cases lower) prices.

To be fair, the title you mention is more expensive everywhere else.

I think most have found prices to be inconsistent among retailers, to say the least. The reason for my post was to question whether RH has actually excluded themselves from the agency model.

This was just one example of a high-priced Random House title. I have found more than a few.

Skydog
04-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Has their list price changed, or just the price Amazon are selling their books at?

DawnFalcon,

That is indeed the question!

whitearrow
04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
That particular book is 640 pages and non-fiction, so it's probably not representative of RH overall.

wallcraft
04-07-2010, 06:29 AM
The reason for my post was to question whether RH has actually excluded themselves from the agency model. Yes. This is indicated by the digital list price ($30) being higher than the Kindle Price and an Amazon Price (vs New from) being listed in the Formats summary. The old pricing model was not perfect, and in particular the list price for ebooks was often high (in this case the same as the hardback).

bob1xxx
04-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Random house is pretending their music industry since 1990 and are hoping to be crushed by the digital publishing revolution. Pretending change in your industry isn't happening won't shelter your company from a horrible slow all be it long painful death, just ask GM who took another 9.8 Billion dollar loss . E book readers are becoming cheap and plentiful not just a geek toy if publishing world not careful they will lose control over there copyright like the music industry did to mp3's and to cheaply produced and plentiful bootleg cd's . The best defense is to make copyright books easily available at a fair price so there little incentive for the average Joe or Josephine go the illegal route , that's my 2 cents

Skydog
04-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Yes. This is indicated by the digital list price ($30) being higher than the Kindle Price and an Amazon Price (vs New from) being listed in the Formats summary. The old pricing model was not perfect, and in particular the list price for ebooks was often high (in this case the same as the hardback).

If the publishers' intent is to keep me in a confused state, they are succeeding. :headscratch: