View Full Version : Silver Lining in Agency Pricing

advocate2
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
If prices do rise greatly, are consumers likely to demand more ebooks from their public libraries? Will consumers shift EReader buying habits to those readers that access public libraries? Could this and the introduction of the Ipad cause Amazon to allow the Kindles to access public library ebooks? A yes answer to any of these questions seems to me to be a great silver lining to the current chaos.

phenomshel
04-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Well, .... it doesn't matter what the consumers demand when it comes to publishers, (because publishers flat don't care), and publishers decide what gets released as ebooks and to libraries. What I'm hearing is the opposite, that publishers are deciding not to release ebooks to libraries, because they only get paid once for the book that way, and it can be lent thousands of times and never wears out (and therefore doesn't need to be replaced).

I don't know if maybe there's a way around that, by having consumers donate funds to their local libraries earmarked for ebooks. But the DRM on consumer ebooks is different than that on library ebooks (consumer books don't have the DRM that makes the file disappear after a set amount of time), so I'm not sure that's workable either.

delphidb96
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
If prices do rise greatly, are consumers likely to demand more ebooks from their public libraries? Will consumers shift EReader buying habits to those readers that access public libraries? Could this and the introduction of the Ipad cause Amazon to allow the Kindles to access public library ebooks? A yes answer to any of these questions seems to me to be a great silver lining to the current chaos.

No. This short-sighted short-term-is-more-important-than-long-term-strategies thinking will most likely push ever greater numbers of readers into searching the darknet. And I for one applaud that consequence of the publishers actions. :D

Derek

phenomshel
04-05-2010, 02:03 PM
No. This short-sighted short-term-is-more-important-than-long-term-strategies thinking will most likely push ever greater numbers of readers into searching the darknet. And I for one applaud that consequence of the publishers actions. :D

Derek

But Derek; those books won't be available on the darknet either, if someone can't buy them and share them first. Or at least that's the easy way...

I see a whole lot of scanning going on...

delphidb96
04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
But Derek; those books won't be available on the darknet either, if someone can't buy them and share them first. Or at least that's the easy way...

I see a whole lot of scanning going on...

We'll, no doubt, form library-book scanning parties!!! :D

Derek

phenomshel
04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
We'll, no doubt, form library-book scanning parties!!! :D

Derek

Now, that's a positive attitude! :D

TallMomof2
04-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Shoot, there are many older books available on the darknet that are not available as ebooks anywhere else. In some circles it is a matter of pride to be the first to scan a book and put it online.