View Full Version : eBook vanishing act, again (Ace Books/Penguin Group)

ziplizard
04-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Has anyone noticed any pre-orders from Ace Books (or other Penguin Group publishers) disappearing from eBook stores recently?

I just checked today for the upcoming Dresden Files book on the Kindle store and it was gone while recently (probably a week or two ago) I saw it there for $12. The book comes out in stores in two days and the backlog of Dresden books are still in the Kindle store so I'm very confused. I also checked for the upcoming Sookie Stackhouse book (also published by Ace) and it wasn't there, either. It used to be listed for $10.80 pre-order.

Is this happening on any other eBook stores? And does anyone know why?

riemann42
04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Can't find it anywhere else. Was going to buy this, and have been looking forward to it.

delphidb96
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Has anyone noticed any pre-orders from Ace Books (or other Penguin Group publishers) disappearing from eBook stores recently?

I just checked today for the upcoming Dresden Files book on the Kindle store and it was gone while recently (probably a week or two ago) I saw it there for $12. The book comes out in stores in two days and the backlog of Dresden books are still in the Kindle store so I'm very confused. I also checked for the upcoming Sookie Stackhouse book (also published by Ace) and it wasn't there, either. It used to be listed for $10.80 pre-order.

Is this happening on any other eBook stores? And does anyone know why?

Well, see, this is, like, the *new* strategy of these publishers. They've finally grasped the concept that they really don't *like* supplying the addiction of readers everywhere so they're trying a new approach. It's called 'cold turkey' withdrawal. See, to 'cure' an addict, one approach is to simply cut off the drug. :D

Derek

phenomshel
04-05-2010, 02:11 PM
LOL!! While I think there's a germ of truth in what Derek says above, (I am starting to truly believe that publishers want to kill ebooks), the real reason is that Penguin is one of the publishers who demanded that everyone go to the new agency pricing model. However, none of those publishers saw fit to implement the mechanisms on their end that would have allowed the retailers to do this seamlessly, so now the readers are paying for that.

Terisa de morgan
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I had a Penguin book in pre-order and Amazon has cancelled it because they don't know when it will be available (another two have been delayed to April 8th).

phenomshel
04-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I had a Penguin book in pre-order and Amazon has cancelled it because they don't know when it will be available (another two have been delayed to April 8th).

Another friend has also had two preorders cancelled, with Amazon saying they don't know when they'll have the ebooks back (or IF they will). Which authors were delayed until April 8th, Terisa?

sabredog
04-06-2010, 02:22 AM
Both Fictionwise and Diesel have removed the Penguin published Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Diesel were listing all the books yesterday.

The books I did buy in the series from Diesel previously cannot be downloaded now. The message reads;

We are sorry.

The publisher has ceased publication of this title without giving us notification. Please let us know about this here and accept our apologies as we appreciate and share your frustration. Your card will be credited. We have little control in this type of situation.

Be interesting to see if I am refunded....

Terisa de morgan
04-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Another friend has also had two preorders cancelled, with Amazon saying they don't know when they'll have the ebooks back (or IF they will). Which authors were delayed until April 8th, Terisa?

Jaye Wells (The Mage in Black) and Gail Carriger (Changeless).

DoctorOhh
04-06-2010, 03:07 AM

I just checked today for the upcoming Dresden Files book on the Kindle store and it was gone while recently (probably a week or two ago) I saw it there for $12.

I don't know why the Kindle release was pulled. Your right it was there as of the 23 March (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:L49pXora7CcJ:www.amazon.com/Changes-Dresden-Files-Book-ebook/dp/product-description/B0030DHPAW+dresden+files+changes+ebook+release&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a). Now all I see is the Hardback version (http://www.amazon.com/Changes-Dresden-Files-Book-12/dp/045146317X/ref=rcx_ser_title?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text) for sale.

This seems similar to the recent release of Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, Book 8) by Kim Harrison. The publisher delayed the ebook release 6 weeks. During this time they lost a sale to me.

If Changes by Jim Butcher is available today, tomorrow or Thursday in ebook form then I'll buy it, but if it is delayed I'll be finished reading it and they, most likely, will have lost another sale to me.

Sweetpea
04-06-2010, 03:16 AM
They just want us to go back to the darknet...(or check out what is available there, for those that haven't ever been there...)

DoctorOhh
04-06-2010, 03:21 AM
They just want us to go back to the darknet...(or check out what is available there, for those that haven't ever been there...)

One day they will understand that ebooks don't truly compete with hardback books and delaying the release of ebooks just loses them money.

KarateMonkey
04-06-2010, 08:03 AM
The new Dresden Files book is available from the Sony store for $12.99.

ETA, according to the author's Twitter feed it will be available from "multiple vendors" tomorrow.

JSWolf
04-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Both Fictionwise and Diesel have removed the Penguin published Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Diesel were listing all the books yesterday.

The books I did buy in the series from Diesel previously cannot be downloaded now. The message reads;

Be interesting to see if I am refunded....

But if you want to buy them again, you can get them all from Sony. Sony has the Lost Fleet series available for $6.99 each and in ePub.

wonderboy
04-06-2010, 08:58 AM
I too had purchased the entire Lost Fleet series from Fictionwise so I went to check the status in my bookshelf. All five books are still listed and I was able to download four of them (all in secure mobipocket) but the fifth was in ereader format and unavailable for download. None of the five is available for sale. I need to make a new backup of all Fictionwise purchases ASAP to make sure no more of my books disappear. I probably have these on my computer, but I want to make sure.

abookreader
04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
So is Sony going to be the place to buy all these Penguin/Berkley/Putnam books for awhile?

I see they have Lisa Valdez's Patience today and I can't find it anywhere else. It does make those darknets more tempting - and no I'm not trying to get into some huge long ethics discussion on piracy. But honestly, I can spend 20 minutes searching for a place to buy the book and then another couple of minutes stripping the drm and converting it to my format.....

or I can just click click click and have the book to read.

Ridiculous.

sabredog
04-06-2010, 09:27 AM
But if you want to buy them again, you can get them all from Sony. Sony has the Lost Fleet series available for $6.99 each and in ePub.

Thanks for that.

Now I wonder if book 6 will be available for purchase at Sony as it is GR locked on Diesel (pre-order).

Diesel contacted me via email today to inform me that the books will be available in my bookshelf again once the dust settles.

Terisa de morgan
04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
So is Sony going to be the place to buy all these Penguin/Berkley/Putnam books for awhile?

I see they have Lisa Valdez's Patience today and I can't find it anywhere else. It does make those darknets more tempting - and no I'm not trying to get into some huge long ethics discussion on piracy. But honestly, I can spend 20 minutes searching for a place to buy the book and then another couple of minutes stripping the drm and converting it to my format.....

or I can just click click click and have the book to read.

Ridiculous.

Well... a lot... a lot... ebooksprice.info and ebooks.addall.com save a lot of time.

riemann42
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Just got the new Dresden novel from Kobo.

Angst
04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Here is a list of publishers supporting the new agency model.

The big five are…

Hachette (Grand Central, Little Brown, Faith Words, Windblown, Orbit, Center Street, Yen Press)

HarperCollins (Amistad, Avon, Caedmon, Ecco, Eos, Harper, ItBooks, Rayo, William Morrow)

Macmillan (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, FSG, Hill & Wang, Faber & Faber, First Second, Henry Holt & Co., Metropolitan Books, Times Books, Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Picador, Quick and Dirty Tips, Scientific American, St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books, Thomas Dunne Books, Tor/Forge, Orb Books)

Penguin (Penguin, Ace, Alpha, Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam, Avery, Berkley, Dial, Dutton, Firebird, Frederick Warne, Gotham, Putnam, Grosset & Dunlap, HP, Hudson Street, Jove, NAL, Pamela Dorman Books, Perigree, Philomel, Plume, Portfolio, Prentice Hall, Price Stern Sloan, Puffin, Razorbill, Riverhead, Sentinel, Speak, Tarcher, Viking)

Simon & Schuster (Atria, Folger, Free Press, Gallery, Howard, Pocket, Scribner, Simon & Schuester, Threshold, Touchstone/Fireside)

Treadstone71
04-06-2010, 05:11 PM
It's available via iBooks for the iPad, too. I bought it this morning for $12.99; I would have preferred $9.99, but figured it's a wash as I preordered the hardcover at $13.00, but it shipped at $9.99.

JSWolf
04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
If you use the AddALL search engine, you may not have to go searching all over to find what you want.

http://ebooks.addall.com/

JSWolf
04-06-2010, 05:43 PM
ebookprice.info is rather an abysmal site. I just tried searching for Changes by Jim Butcher and I know Sony has it and yet nothing came up. AddALL is good. Better now then Inkmesh since Inkmesh has a cashed list it searches from and that list is now not up-to-date.

riemann42
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks, JsWolf!

I used inkmesh, which hadn't found this book yet.

phenomshel
04-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Wow.. yeah, I found most everything that is missing everywhere else at Sony - thanks for the tip!