View Full Version : Anyone else having problems with Fictionwise purchases?

DTY
04-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Hello all,
On 03/30/10, I purchased a Tablet PC to use as my reading device, my intention was to bulk download all my books (mostly drm'd), after doing so I discovered most weren't in the zip file. Tried again, same thing happened. I then tried to download books individually & was clicked to a page with the following message:

Error
Description : Error : Download is not authorized for this retailer.
Source : download.asp
Number : -1

The noted message pops up for Harper Collins & Simon & Schuster published books.

Penguin titles have this message:

The requested eBook title cannot be downloaded at this time due to difficulty in communicating with the retail site. Please try again later.

I sent an email to support on 3/31 & haven't received a reply yet.

Is anyone else having this problem and or have heard back from Fictionwise on a fix?

DTY

Graham
04-02-2010, 06:49 AM
This is due to the move to the agency model.

See:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78899
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78801
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78516
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78931

Graham

DTY
04-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanx for the reply,
I'm looking to hear from a Fictionwise employee/lurker or someone who's received a reply on the same complaint/inquiry from Fictionwise.

I've been following all the assumptions (I'm a lurker) on the forum but as that I'm out service/use; and if the problem isn't resolved, money. I'd like a prompt response from Fictionwise or to hear from a forum reader who's heard/dealt directly with/from Fictionwise on my problem and the fix.

DTY

tselling
04-02-2010, 10:12 AM
I have found that fictionwise can take up to a week for a response... but they have always either fixed the problem or refunded my cost.

JSWolf
04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Once the agency model is in place at FW, all your eBooks should be once again available for download.

Graham
04-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I have found that fictionwise can take up to a week for a response... but they have always either fixed the problem or refunded my cost.

I've also had excellent responses from Fictionwise in the past, after a short wait. In this case the wait might be longer as I imagine their inbox will have been inundated...

Graham

Angst
04-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Yup. I can't download content I've already bought.

"The requested eBook title cannot be downloaded at this time due to difficulty in communicating with the retail site. Please try again later."

The help page listed with the download error directs me to http://helpebook.com/

I don't see why downloading content I own should be affected by a new pricing model by the ebook cartel.

Angst
04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
A little more research. The book download is being blocked by Ingram Digital, the company responsible for the actual book download. fictionwise is just a retailer. fictionwise turns over the responsibility for delivering your book to you to Ingram Digital.

http://www.ingramdigital.com/

I don't know if other retailers use Ingram Digital or not. This could be a spat between fictionwise and ID or it could be an ID problem. If they are failing to deliver content for other retailers as well, this would seem to be an ID issue.

ID only services my MSReader books.
My books in mobipocket format are delivered by mobipocket.com.

Only some of the mobi ebook downloads are blocked.

An Evil Guest - Gene Wolfe/(Macmillan) - is Blocked
The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Greene/(Random House) is NOT blocked.

Angst
04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
On 03/30/10, I purchased a Tablet PC ...

If everyone buying an Ipad is running into problems because they can't purchase/download/read books, this could turn into a really black eye for the publishing industry. Their timing is abysmal at best.

Graham
04-02-2010, 01:28 PM
An Evil Guest - Gene Wolfe/(Macmillan) - is Blocked
The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Greene/(Random House) is NOT blocked.

The publishers imposing agency pricing, and affected by this are:

Macmillan
Simon & Schuster
Harper-Collins
Hachette
Penguin

and their subsidiaries.

Graham

DTY
04-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Interestingly enough I received my "Weekend Specials" e-mail and after quickly going through the titles the only "major" publisher offered is Random House. The sending of this marketing e-mail bothers me, time was spent sorting the books to offer yet you can't inform paying customers of service problems or delays or knock on wood, loss of titles from purchased libraries?

If there's any reader/lurker who works for Fictionwise/Barns & Noble, I've gotta tell ya, you're driving away a loyal customer, the longer this interruption lasts without an explanation, the better other stores are looking.

Anyone want to buy a FW 1150 reader and a Jetbook lite?

DTY

DawnFalcon
04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Um, many other stores are having the same issues. It's not their fault, it's down to the publishers!

Graham
04-02-2010, 04:22 PM
The most we can say Fictionwise are guilty of at this stage is a lack of communication. However, they've also got the most complex problem, IMO. In order to honour the spirit of their commitments to their Buywise club they would need to get the agency publishers to allow them to discount their books, which doesn't look likely to happen.

So Fictionwise need to get to the final answer on this, sort out their new contracts, perhaps talk to their programmers about what is actually possible going forward, etc.

They may not have said anything because they still don't know what they actually can say.

Graham

Angst
04-02-2010, 04:26 PM
The publishers imposing agency pricing, and affected by this are:

Macmillan
Simon & Schuster
Harper-Collins
Hachette
Penguin

and their subsidiaries.

Graham

I can understand, (but not agree with), blocking new sales over pricing, but why block content I've already paid for?

DawnFalcon
04-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Because access to that content is based on agreement between Fictionwise and the publishers as to how many times it can be downloaded, on what format and devices, etc.

When the publishers yank the agreement....

DTY
04-02-2010, 06:21 PM
With respect, do any of you work for B&N or Fictionwise? I'm from Brooklyn, & in Brooklyn they have a saying that's applies to what's going on with Fictionwise. "I've got your money sucker." I don't care what's going on with the other sites or the publishers what have you. I'm looking for specific info regarding why, when and how I'm getting what I paid for.

Let me again layout why I made this post, I'm looking for an answer from Fictionwise or B&N or a customer who's had a response from Fictionwise or B&N on what's going on. I've made purchases from Fictionwise, Fictionwise was paid, I want my product or at least an answer to when I'm going to get my product. I've gotten good information from the forums here in the past & I'm pretty sure all the seller's have people browsing.

It's not acceptable to me that 2 days in since I contacted a company & who knows how long since the problem has actually existed no response to myself or to their community of customers have been made.

They have known, do know there's a problem & the silence is deafening on a response. But oh yeah, send me some marketing on some other product I can buy from you.

DTY

DTY
04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Minutes after my post/rant the following response showed up in my E-mail:

Hi,

We are currently working with our providers to resolve the download errors you are experiencing.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing and thank you for your patience as we attempt to resolve this issue.

Best Regards,

Ted

DTY

cfrizz
04-02-2010, 06:59 PM
This makes me very happy that I ALWAYS download my books right after purchase.

And that answer DTY, is pretty much meaningless. Nothing like getting an answer that doesn't really tell you anything!

Shopaholic
04-02-2010, 07:10 PM
With respect, do any of you work for B&N or Fictionwise? .....

Let me again layout why I made this post, I'm looking for an answer from Fictionwise or B&N or a customer who's had a response from Fictionwise or B&N on what's going on. I've made purchases from Fictionwise, Fictionwise was paid, I want my product or at least an answer to when I'm going to get my product. I've gotten good information from the forums here in the past & I'm pretty sure all the seller's have people browsing.

I rather doubt anyone from Fictionwise or B&N are going to answer you on this board. You need to call and email them directly. This isn't Fictionwise or Barnes & Noble. This is MobileRead. People can offer you assistance or their opinions or suspicions but if you want answers from someone in particular, you have to ask them. You're not.

Kali Yuga
04-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I rather doubt anyone from Fictionwise or B&N are going to answer you on this board. You need to call and email them directly. This isn't Fictionwise or Barnes & Noble. This is MobileRead. People can offer you assistance or their opinions or suspicions but if you want answers from someone in particular, you have to ask them. You're not.
+1

Running a major ecommerce site is far more complex than the average person comprehends. They can't just check one box on an internal web page and poof, all prices are immediately updated and ready to go.

A rep from Hachette pointed out that a transition like this is very complex, and that people shouldn't "overreact" if a book is temporarily unavailable on a specific site. Obviously he doesn't know the ebook contingent very well. :D

ATimson
04-02-2010, 07:26 PM
A rep from Hachette pointed out that a transition like this is very complex, and that people shouldn't "overreact" if a book is temporarily unavailable on a specific site.
It wouldn't be unavailable if the publishers weren't unrealistic in terms of how long they allowed for a change of this magnitude. :p

DTY
04-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Shop & Kali
As i laid out in my post, I did contact FW customer service. I posted here to see if I could "prompt" a response from FW or see if FW responded to another customer and that customer would then share the response.
With less respect, why are you answering my question with no answers . I appreciate thought.....
You know what, why am I wasting my time.
Thanx for lecture & non-information that has nothing to do with my post.

DTY

DawnFalcon
04-02-2010, 08:07 PM
+1

Running a major ecommerce site is far more complex than the average person comprehends. They can't just check one box on an internal web page and poof, all prices are immediately updated and ready to go.

True, it needs fifteen minutes work for a few hundred items. Less if you're applying a universal pricing model.

And yes, I have run sites based on three different, quite common, shopping carts. It's not rocket science - you just need to double-check before you push anything live.

Blandyna
04-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I got the same error messages as DTY when trying to download books I had purchases a month earlier but not opened. I could open any of the books I had download, though, and open new titles. When I e-mailed customer service, I did not receive a reply, but I know they got the message: The books I specifically mentioned disappeared from my bookshelf AND all my micropay credits disappeared. I am angry about this and especially angry about not hearing from Fictionwise. Does anyone have suggestions?

calvin-c
04-20-2010, 01:31 PM
I got the same error messages as DTY when trying to download books I had purchases a month earlier but not opened. I could open any of the books I had download, though, and open new titles. When I e-mailed customer service, I did not receive a reply, but I know they got the message: The books I specifically mentioned disappeared from my bookshelf AND all my micropay credits disappeared. I am angry about this and especially angry about not hearing from Fictionwise. Does anyone have suggestions?
If you didn't receive a reply then the odds are that they didn't get your message. IIRC a reply is sent automatically upon receipt of any message to FW's customer service. Perhaps you mean that you didn't get an answer, yet. In that case I'd suggest you wait a bit although you didn't say how long it's been since you sent your complaint. I've always gotten an answer (sort of-some of their 'answers' are rather non-informative, but it usually indicates that somebody has at least read my message) withing a week.

I'm not sure about the micropay credits disappearing, unless they 'disappeared' when you used them to purchase the books you cannot now download. If that's the case then it's possible that you're SOL (Simply Out of Luck-although if you know US slang then you'll probably replace Simply with a less polite word). The problem, in this case, is FW's policy of only guaranteeing that books are available for download for a limited time. The time limit has changed, from (IIRC) 3 months, down to a week, down to 3 days and (again, IIRC), down to an hour earlier this month. Whether or not those changes are legally defensible, I don't know-but I'm certain that it'd take a lawsuit to change them.