View Full Version : Developing for the iPad?

phmadore
04-02-2010, 12:21 AM
So, does anyone know how to make an epub which is optimized for the iPad yet?

pilotbob
04-02-2010, 12:26 AM

The thing about ePub is that it is a flowable format. Similar to html which web sites send to your browser ePub is a markup language which has tags that specify what type of data is in the ePub ebook. For example, it delimits what is a chapter, what is a paragraph, what font sizes to use, what font attributes to use... etc.

At that point it is up to the software in the device, be it a PC or a Sony reader or a Nook or an iPad to use the annotations in the ebook to layout out the text as best as it can for the size of your device.

So, the bottom line is you can't (and shouldn't) optimize and ePub book for any single device. That is actually the whole point of ePub.. to be device agnostic.

Hth,
BOb

LDBoblo
04-02-2010, 02:07 AM
As pilotbob said, epub is essentially a base format which is intended to port to a variety of independent devices. The problem is, much like CSS when it was fresh, support is a bit haphazard in places.

I think a more important question is: How can developers make better epub-reading programs? iBooks looks to be pretty run-of-the-mill so far, and if Apple doesn't reject them, superior independent epub readers could be developed.

If you are an epub file creator, just carry on as usual, I'd suspect.

WillAdams
04-02-2010, 08:28 AM
The one major change which one would make for the iPad would be to _not_ convert images to greyscale.

A second would be to include enough pixels to make them look good when viewed in 1024 x 768 landscape, w/ quite a few more if the content warrants zooming in.

A third would be to pick fonts which play well w/ Apple's font rendering scheme (appropriate hinting techniques, ligatures &c. which will be recognized).

Lastly, Apple is apparently picky about files not being listed in the manifest, so either delete them, or add them to that list.

William

Jellby
04-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Apparently, ePUB books can be read in the iPad using something other than Apple-provided apps: http://blog.threepress.org/2010/03/17/first-ereader-on-the-ipad/

pdurrant
04-05-2010, 01:55 PM

The only change I've made to my ePubs is to add the cover meta data, without which iTunes doesn't pick up the cover image.

phmadore
04-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Anything else, anyone?

How exactly does one get an ebook into iBooks?

pilotbob
04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Anything else, anyone?

How exactly does one get an ebook into iBooks?

If they are ePub books you can import them into iTunes and then when you sync your iPad they will be in iBooks.

BOb