View Full Version : A Brief Review of the SmartQ V7, pt 1

Nate the great
03-31-2010, 07:16 PM
I just posted the first part of a review of the SmartQ V7 (http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/03/31/a-brief-review-of-the-smartq-v7/) over on The Digital Reader (http://www.the-digital-reader.com). The SmartQ 7 has been reviewed extensively, but I haven't seen a review of the V7 yet. I also haven't seen a side by side comparison of the 2 models.

Here are the highlights:

I've been playing with the V7 for a couple hours now, and I can't see any significant improvement in its performance over that of its predecessor. This is something of a relief for me because I've so desperately wanted a V7 ever since it was announced.
My Opinion

I haven't used the Android or WinCE firmwares yet, so I can't comment on them. But I will say that I like the these tablets as general e-readers, and I'm beginning to lean towards recommending the V7 over it predecessor. I wouldn't replace an existing SmartQ 7, but if I was making a new purchase I would get a SmartQ V7. I think the extra RAM, Flash, and OS options might be worth the extra cost ($189 vs $225 at Eletroworld). On the other hand, the SmartQ 7 is a very adequate in its own right, and you should ask yourself if you really need the extra features.

recycledelectron
03-31-2010, 07:35 PM
I've been playing with the V7 for a couple hours now, and I can't see any significant improvement in its performance over that of its predecessor. This is something of a relief for me because I've so desperately wanted a V7 ever since it was announced.

I've got both a Q7 and a V7. I still use my Q7 and keep the V7 as a back-up for when my Q7 fails. (I expect the life of one of these to be about 1 year in a school teacher's life.

I haven't used the Android or WinCE firmwares yet

They are 95% Chinese, 5% English.

I will say that I like the these tablets as general e-readers, and I'm beginning to lean towards recommending the V7 over it predecessor. I wouldn't replace an existing SmartQ 7, but if I was making a new purchase I would get a SmartQ V7. I think the extra RAM, Flash, and OS options might be worth the extra cost ($189 vs $225 at Eletroworld). On the other hand, the SmartQ 7 is a very adequate in its own right, and you should ask yourself if you really need the extra features.

I disagree. I've recommended the Q7 as the replacement for our text books, due to it's lower cost. The cost is critical when a student could break their only text book / scantron / note pad, and need a replacement on a college student's budget instantly. Of course, I was looking at a $60 price gap, not the $36 price gap you cited.

The article says that both the Q7 and V7 have bluetooth and wifi. Not exactly. The Q7's bluetooth is through a USB dongle.

One more thing, I've lost a few styluses during my pilot project. Does anyone know where I can get a 5-pack of Q7 / V7 styluses? Price is not critical, but I do want to order a 5-pack without hassle.

Andy

lautunno
04-01-2010, 06:21 AM
I bought a Smart Q V7 end of last year from http://www.allpmp.com/
While using it, the first day it happened that the boot wasn't possible anymore.

I contacted Allpmp and they assigned me a number. I sent the package and they confirmed by email they received it.
The point is it was three months ago! :angry:

I sent a couple more email, definitely ignored.
Great customer care!

About the device: unfortunately I had it in my hands a couple of hours, but my first impression is that it isn't robust at all, really "plastic".
I'd have loved to play a little bit more though!

jean-pierre34
10-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I have just acquired a SmarQ V7 when setting are to be chosen it asks how much space i want on the RAM for video
has any one any idea how much it is reasonable to allocate ?

:thanks: