View Full Version : Convert DRM books to Epub/other

tajreed
03-31-2010, 05:20 PM
After downloading a DRM book and then unlocking for reading, is it possible to use Calibre (as an example) to convert the unlocked book to another format?

rcuadro
03-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes... if by unlocking you mean remove the DRM

Bilbo1967
03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
I assume you mean that you remove the DRM? Calibre will not remove DRM for you.

If so, then, yes, Calibre will convert to another format. You will see a "Convert E-Books" tab at the top of the screen. Highlight the book you want to convert in the main Calibre screen and click that and you will see input/output options and other formatting options. If you can't work those out, please ask again. Hope this helps.

tajreed
03-31-2010, 05:49 PM
How does one go about removing DRM so that I can the use Calibre to convert to EPUB?

Elfwreck
03-31-2010, 05:58 PM
How does one go about removing DRM so that I can the use Calibre to convert to EPUB?

Mobileread's rules forbid giving details about that. You can google for the filetype in question and /remove drm/, which often gives you pointers towards the right software.

The details will be different depending on what kind of file you're starting with.

mr ploppy
03-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Mobileread's rules forbid giving details about that. .

Is that a recent rule? Only I found out how to do it to epubs here about a month ago, and the thread I got it from is still available ...

Elfwreck
03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Is that a recent rule? Only I found out how to do it to epubs here about a month ago, and the thread I got it from is still available ...

It's a longstanding rule; what counts as "details" is a bit fuzzy. Discussion *about* the various methods available is okay; links are not. And apparently, details are occasionally exchanged by PM.

As far as I know, all currently-sold DRM ebook formats have been cracked; some are easier to deal with than others. (Topaz is the worst; .Lit is the easiest.)