View Full Version : How big is your TBR list

dreamsgate
03-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I have had my Kindle 2 for about 2 months now (loving it, but that is another thread).

So far I have managed to download over 80 books, I have read about 8. Some I have bought, some were free and all I will get to eventually. :2thumbsup

My daughter has been laughing at me ever since we got our Kindles (we both got one at the same time). She only has maybe 5-8 books at a time in her TBR list and my list just seems to keep growing at an exponential rate.

With the ease and availability of ebooks, do you find yourself creating a bigger and bigger TBR lists? Or is it just me? :book2:

leebase
03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
My TBR list: http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddczrhdd_54cdp3p8cd

Some 80 books.

Lee

Sparrow
03-31-2010, 01:48 PM
I think of it more as accumulating a library, rather than a TBR pile. They're there for when the urge takes me to read a particular type of book.
I don't expect to read everything I've got; but it's nice to have as many options as possible. :)

dreamsgate
03-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Me too. Also, my memory is starting to slip (age is such a bummer). I know that if I don't download a book that looks interesting when I see it, I will forget all about it.

Zetmolm
03-31-2010, 02:25 PM
So many books on my TBR list, I hope they have e-readers in heaven!

rhadin
03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
I have two TBR lists -- my ebook list has 104 books and my pbook pile has 121. I suspect that many of the ebook TBRs will not get read. All of the ebooks are fiction and I tend not to read much fiction. My nonfiction TBR, which is my pbook TBR, tends to remain pretty steady because I buy nearly as many as I read.

poohbear_nc
03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
I too use my Kindles to accumulate a library of reading material. So my TBR list is probably ready for a hardcover edition. :D

I probably have close to 500 titles across my 3 Kindles. It's fun to pick a random page from the home page and select a book to read I've totally forgotten I have.

I plan to be buried with my Kindle and a drop cord for power & light - so I can finish all of them. :D

Bluesman7
03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
I too use my Kindles to accumulate a library of reading material. So my TBR list is probably ready for a hardcover edition. :D

I probably have close to 500 titles across my 3 Kindles. It's fun to pick a random page from the home page and select a book to read I've totally forgotten I have.

I plan to be buried with my Kindle and a drop cord for power & light - so I can finish all of them. :D

I've begun using a random number generator to pull up three to five numbers (between one and the total number of books I have stored) to help me select the next book I will plan to read. This keeps me from only considering the most recent acquisitions or favorites. (Of course I can cheat by running the numbers again until I get to a choice selection. :rolleyes:)

pdurrant
03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
With the ease and availability of ebooks, do you find yourself creating a bigger and bigger TBR lists? Or is it just me? :book2:

It was the really big fictionwise sales that made my TBR list grow. Currently standing at 456 books. (Although that's probably a slight over-estimate.)

I'm hoping to get it below 300 by the end of the year.

dreamsgate
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Yay!, I'm not the only one that over collects.

GhostHawk
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Some 4,000 on my SD card in the reader, hope to get to each of them someday.

dreamsgate
03-31-2010, 03:34 PM

I laughed so hard when I read this, and I think it is a good plan. I'm going to request the same thing.

dreamsgate
03-31-2010, 04:24 PM

:eek: Oh my! That is quite a few. Now I definitely don't feel bad about my little list. In fact most of the numbers I am seeing here, lead me to think I need to find some more books.:rofl:

Kevin2960
03-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Well I have more than 440 books on my very recent PRS-600

All are on my TBR List

Even at an extremely leisurely 4 a week

Non-Stop thats over 2 years worth !

Ravensknight
03-31-2010, 06:00 PM
I think of it more as accumulating a library, rather than a TBR pile....

"Concurred!"

I've got a backlog of about 70 ebooks and 5-10 pbooks [that might get less if I end up getting the e-version of some of them].

No more "new" books on my reader til I've finished what's there. I'll just star books I haven't read in Calibre and add them by date as I "make room" on my 505.

toomanybooks
03-31-2010, 06:36 PM
I have over 6000 ebooks waiting to be read and over 600 paperbacks. I have calculated that it will take me 18 years to read my book collection if I don't acquire anymore.

Sydney's Mom
03-31-2010, 07:30 PM
My husband says I am an ebook hoarder (we have started watching that new TLC program on hoarding). I guess he is right. I have 1188 books, and 993 are on the TBR list.

fugazied
03-31-2010, 07:56 PM
I have at least 200.

Problem for me is the fact I have some massive gaps in classics that I've missed. For example I've never read call of the wild, and grapes of wrath. So most of the books in my list are older titles of very high quality.

ChrisC333
03-31-2010, 08:02 PM

I'm getting a lot better at resisting the temptation to collect vast piles of stuff that I won't realistically ever use (or re-use, if I've read them once). :)

I did start to download a stack of free classics etc but quickly decided that the best place to store them was where I got them in the first place - on somebody else's server on the internet. I found sorting through the clutter on my own equipment was more of a pain that an asset. So I went through and deleted everything that I thought wouldn't get read in the next week or two.

I do have folders on the main computer for the 'keepers' but just leave 5 or 6 on the reader. I'd rather spend the time reading than fiddling about scrolling through pages of titles.

It's turning out to be pretty much like the way that I treat pbooks (keeping a small 'active pile' somewhere like a bedside table). The difference is that I'm happy to leave most of the rest of the e-books on the internet rather than creating my own e-library on virtual bookshelves.

jenifer.a
03-31-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't purchase a book unless I'm about to read it right then, right there. My money is just to precious to "maybe" get to a book.

Scrooge McDuck much?

BookCat
03-31-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm definitely a hoarder. I have about 900 books on my ereader, though at least a third of those are "blurb": stuff about the book taken from Amazon, usually.

I never buy ebooks; they're too expensive. If I purchase a book, it's paperback, secondhand, or from a supermarket or other low cost outlet, or a reference book which works best as a paperbook.

But I love coming across unread classics and can't resist downloading them.

I might try the "random number" technique. I hate spending so much time deciding what's next.

joobies
04-01-2010, 10:11 AM
A subject close to my OCD heart.
I have an active collection of about 1700 with a total in excess of 2000.
With technology being what it is, my original thought was to download books of interest to me... NOW.... rather than have my ereader become obsolete and unsupported by newer ereader releases. So, I have plenty of classics to enjoy as perhaps generations of newer readers march past me.
Oh, and I still have one pbook that is yet unread.

astra
04-01-2010, 10:48 AM
My TBR is about 200 :(

HarryT
04-01-2010, 10:50 AM
I have many times more books I'd like to read than my probable future life expectancy.

Hamlet53
04-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Same. Right now there are not enough hours in a day and possible days left in my life. That's even without adding any new books or books I am just not now aware of.

dreamsgate
04-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Well poo, I just added 4 more to my list.

jes1
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure I can count that high:) And that is not counting the multitudes of unread p-books on my bookshelves.

Angst
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
About 90. I had my TBR list down to 40 and then fictionwise had a huge 60% sale last December. With fictionwise dropping their club membership, I might be able to make a dent in the list.

cfrizz
04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
That's just crazy. I have 54 books, and am working my way through the last 10 that I've downloaded. I don't have that kind of money to waste. If I buy it, I'm going to read it. So to put it succinctly, I pretty much don't have a TBR list.

Ravensknight
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
That's just crazy. I have 54 books, and am working my way through the last 10 that I've downloaded. I don't have that kind of money to waste. If I buy it, I'm going to read it. So to put it succinctly, I pretty much don't have a TBR list.

If it is crazy and such a waste, why are you even reading ebooks then?
I can see where finances limit things, but to call it crazy and a waste? Ouch...

dreams
04-07-2010, 05:52 PM

I look on my TBR list like I do my kitchen pantry. If, I know that I am gong to eat it (and it's on sale or free), I buy it. It goes in my pantry and when I am hungry, I look through the pantry for what I want. It's not going to spoil, and I save money in the long run, plus I always have a variety available. :)

CFarrell
04-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I've found myself turning into a bit of an indie collector. I have about 100 paperbacks to get through but my ebook list is growing constantly. I can't help myself...

dreamsgate
04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I look on my TBR list like I do my kitchen pantry. If, I know that I am gong to eat it (and it's on sale or free), I buy it. It goes in my pantry and when I am hungry, I look through the pantry for what I want. It's not going to spoil, and I save money in the long run, plus I always have a variety available. :)

That would be how my TBR list got so big. I am a big sucker for 1.99 books and less. It isn't a lot of money at any one time and I know the price might go up later. As for free books, those seem to disappear as fast as they appear, so I grab them promptly.

In fact my list seems to have grown by about 22 titles just since I started this thread.

Sweetpea
04-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Maybe I should make a TBR list... Problem is, I can never decide what book to read next!

I want to read that book, oh wait, that book is fun too, but that other book I've not read before...

TGS
04-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Of course, it's not how big it is, it's how you use it that's important :)

thinkpad
04-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Seeing TBR in every other post here I had to look it up. TBR = "To be read"

FlorenceArt
04-08-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm not a collector or a list-maker, so I don't have a TBR list as such. I usually have 2-3 books purchased and not yet read, but I found out a long time ago that if I buy too many books at the same time and wait too long to read them, I lose interest in the meantime and there is a risk that I never read them at all.

Free public domain books are different, sometimes I can download them with no immediate intent to read them. There is also a much lower probability that I will actually read them one day. Some I download and start reading immediately (even though I have several purchased books not yet read). Others I download because I think I'll read them some day. Others are just nice to have around in case I ever I decide I want to read them. I don't especially keep track of them, and I don't think I have that many anyway, a few dozens maybe.

Ea
04-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I try not to buy any books unless there's a very high probability I'm going to read them. Else it's just waste of money, and my actual TBR list is rather short. On the other hand, I tend to collect anything I am interested in and can get for free, and save them just in case - but I don't add them to calibre until I am actually going to read them. Keeps the 'mess' down a bit.

wallflower75
04-08-2010, 08:56 AM
*gulp* Four hundred? Four THOUSAND?!?!

Makes my 70 unread books look downright puny.

ImogenRose
04-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Not big, I like reading the books I have so I only get a few at a time, read them and then look for more.

SimonSays
04-08-2010, 10:02 AM
329 as of right now

lene1949
04-08-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't download books, even if they're free, if I'm not interested in the subject - such a fantasy, erotica etc, and I always read as much about the book as I can to see if I might be interested... The same thing for paid ebooks.

My TBR list is long, due to MobileRead libary, which has a lot of 'I must read' books. :D

I have about 50 books on my kindle, I want to read, but haven't got to, yet.

TallMomof2
04-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Too many to count but at least a decade's worth of reading if I stopped acquiring ebooks today.

Bluesman7
04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I probably have a good five year's worth of reading saved up.

I worry that my local librarians will fear something has befallen me. :eek:;)

.rob.
04-08-2010, 10:53 AM

4K? Nice! I'm about to break the thousand mark.. about a third of those are reference, a third fiction and non-, and a good third fantasy.

What good 'free' file sites do you use? I've been to feedbooks and gutenberg lot, but have been using 4shared to get the non-public domain titles w/o drm (curse you DRM!!!). Any other suggestions?

pdurrant
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
*gulp* Four hundred? Four THOUSAND?!?!

Makes my 70 unread books look downright puny.

Yep. :)

It looks like my 450 will keep me going until well into 2012.

chilady1
04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I have 3000 books loaded into Calibre of which 900 are on my Kindle still to be read. Once I have read a book, I remove it from the Kindle. I still have over 1500 books that are not on the Kindle.

In other words, if I never acquire another book, it will take me just short of forever to get thru my TBR list. This is the grand scheme of things is not a bad thing in my mind.:bookworm:

.rob.
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Seriously, I look at it all this way:

-One ebook 'weighs' about a meg, right? My phone can conceivably hold about a thousand.. Storage means nothing anymore; where my Physical book shelves are filled to overflowing onto the floor,,, the desk,,, the garage,,,

-If I'm stranded far from my home for a period of time, will I really feel like reading just one specific book? What if I see something that whispers to me that I really want to hear a passage from Dostoyevski? or Homer? or (*gasp*) Rick Riordan?

-If it's possible, and cheap (free if you find it) why not?

--I'm just saying...

--->and besides, embrace it while you've got it, because come 2012, the magnetic poles are going to shift, and all these little tecno-baubles won't work anymore. (...at least, that's what I've read...)

:j

cfrizz
04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
If it is crazy and such a waste, why are you even reading ebooks then?
I can see where finances limit things, but to call it crazy and a waste? Ouch...

If you keep buying & stockpiling books, but never get to read them because you have too many to get to what would you call it?

I'm not wasting money, since I have actually READ all the books that I have purchased. I will never let my TBR pile get so huge, that the likelyhood of my never getting to read all the books purchased exists.

I know that it's hard to pass up a good sale, but no doubt that sale will come around again.