View Full Version : Fictionwise no longer selling certain books?

Crusader
03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
I've just logged into Fictionwise and noticed that my Wishlist now only has about a third of the titles I had previously added. From about 100 books it now only lists 27 - the majority of those being Multiformat titles.

Anyone else noticed this? It seems as if they aren't selling books from certain publishers anymore.

JSWolf
03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
My books are still in my bookshelf and I can still download them even though a lot are no longer for sale.

Penguin Group
Simon & Schuster
Harper Collins
Macmillan

I can say that these publishers are no longer listed. But I do think they will be listed again under the new agency model.

vsalvaggio
03-31-2010, 03:16 PM
I saw this too. If I had to bet money I would say that they are working on their system re: pricing changes going in to effect tomorrow (it's tomorrow, right?). Time will tell though.

foghat
03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
^ I hope so. A bunch of the stuff I was about to pull the trigger on is gone. G-O-N-E, gone.

Crusader
03-31-2010, 03:26 PM
I also hope it is only temporary. There were some items I was planning to buy as soon as funds became available.

Graham
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Wow. You're right. I'd built up a wish list of over a 100 books (scuppered anyway by the geographic restrictions). It's now down to just 35.

At first I thought it might be that they'd got rid of titles that I couldn't purchase due to geography, but nothing so useful.

Graham
03-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Ah, it's the group of the 5 publishers pushing the agency scheme, of course. Their titles are unavailable while they sort out the new infrastructure.

Whether the new versions will reappear in our wish lists when they get them back up remains to be seen.

JSWolf
03-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Ah, it's the group of the 5 publishers pushing the agency scheme, of course. Their titles are unavailable while they sort out the new infrastructure.

Whether the new versions will reappear in our wish lists when they get them back up remains to be seen.

The problem is that we cannot purchase from these publishers on the last day before the new pricing. So really, they've stolen a day from us.

Marcy
03-31-2010, 03:50 PM
My wish list also has shrunk considerably, by about 30%. If they don't replace those items I'll never remember what they were. Oh well, it's not like there aren't plenty of other books to buy. The publishers' loss. I suppose the authors' loss too. I still have 76 books in my wish list, so that will keep me busy for a while.

-Marcy

ficbot
03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Ack! All but 3 books are gone from mine. I'll never find them again. I'm not sure I even remember what they are. I agree that this is the publisher's loss, but still, what if I had wanted them today? That does seem a bit unfair. I am more and more feeling these days like Fictionwise doesn't much value my business. I am buying more and more often from Kobo instead.

causticmuse
03-31-2010, 04:06 PM
My WL has dropped to 16 titles from around 50, too, but I'm willing to take a wait and see stance on this. It IS annoying that they've taken away the last day of availability from us, I agree.

chlorine
03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
How frustrating, I really wanted to buy one the removed books _today_. It's the third tome of a trilogy and I'm engrossed in it, and now I don't know when I'll be able to read it. :(

BTW what does agency model mean?

Thanks.

KarateMonkey
03-31-2010, 05:13 PM
It looks like I lost a book or two from my wishlist as well.

I suspect it's not just fictionwise that's seeing some glitches from the change. I spent a chunk of yesterday,March 30, trying to buy Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs. I know it showed up in hardcover, and Amazon had it for $9.99. Mobipocket and Diesel had it for $24.99, but nobody else did. The publisher is Penguin. Under the assumption that they're just holding it back until after April 1st, I went ahead and got it from Amazon this morning while I still could.

causticmuse
03-31-2010, 05:23 PM
How frustrating, I really wanted to buy one the removed books _today_. It's the third tome of a trilogy and I'm engrossed in it, and now I don't know when I'll be able to read it. :(

Thanks.

I'd check to see if Kobobooks.com has it. They still have a $2 off coupon that can be applied through today.

cbarnett
03-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Hmm. My wishlist's about 30% the size it was last I checked it. Oh well, it's not like I can buy most books I want there any more anyway. :smack:

DawnFalcon
04-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Higher prices, lower availability, no sales.

JSWolf
04-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Actually, once the site issues have been sorted, the availability will be fine. Higher prices in some cases, lower prices in others, but if we do find eBooks with higher prices, please don't buy them.

DawnFalcon
04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll change my opinion as and when the situation changes, sure. Right now...

(The publishers have had MONTHS to make sure this goes smoothly. Any mis-steps can be laid squarely at their door)

rleguillow
04-01-2010, 11:37 PM
(The publishers have had MONTHS to make sure this goes smoothly. Any mis-steps can be laid squarely at their door)

So, I just went out to eReader.com to search for the book they pulled off the listings yesterday morning (one of THOSE publishers) and it still ain't there. Wasn't this supposed to be sorted out today? with whatever prices the publishers agreed to use?

How to win customers - make them really angry, wait an unspecified period of time, then make them angrier. :smack: The little voice in my ear is mumbling "they didn't like ebooks anyway...they just want us to GO AWAY."

pilotbob
04-02-2010, 12:32 AM
The problem is that we cannot purchase from these publishers on the last day before the new pricing. So really, they've stolen a day from us.

Well... as my mom always used to say...

You snooze you lose.

BOb

Crusader
04-02-2010, 05:13 AM
So, I just went out to eReader.com to search for the book they pulled off the listings yesterday morning (one of THOSE publishers) and it still ain't there. Wasn't this supposed to be sorted out today? with whatever prices the publishers agreed to use?

I think the process will take a couple of days at least. I know Amazon has stated that they will need till the 3rd of April before they can start reflecting books based on the new agency model. In their case they should have loads of staff working on getting things sorted.

With Fictionwise I'm not sure how quickly they can get their systems updated. For them it might take even longer.

chlorine
04-02-2010, 01:09 PM

I meant the idea, not the result :p
(In case I'm unclear I'm not a native english speaker and the words 'agency model' put together are meaningless to me)

Graham
04-02-2010, 01:23 PM
I meant the idea, not the result :p
(In case I'm unclear I'm not a native english speaker and the words 'agency model' put together are meaningless to me)

A group of the five largest publishers have got together and announced that they will only sell ebooks to retail outlets willing to stick to a set of minimum prices. This is being referred to as the agency pricing model, and is partly designed to stop sellers like Amazon from discounting bestsellers heavily at the time of their hardcover release to attract buyers to their stores.

All the ebooks from these publishers have been pulled from sale over the last couple of days while they get the new pricing structure in place.

Retailers are also scrambling madly to renegotiate their contracts with these publishers.

Until all the new prices are in place it's unclear what the final effect on the various stores and their prices is going to be.

Graham

DawnFalcon
04-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Chlorine - Ah, okay :P

The "previous" model is the "retail model". The retailers pay a percentage (50-55%, usually) of the publisher's cover price of the ebook. How they then price the book is entirely up to the retailer. They can run discounts, rebates, membership clubs etc.

The "agency model" works differently. The publisher sets the price. This may not be varied, period. The retailer gets 30% of this set price when they sell the book. Also, a lot of retailers are putting in clauses that require no other retailer gets a better deal, thus enforcing identical pricing.

This is supposedly "necessary" because Amazon were choosing to sell a minority of books - mostly high profile best-sellers - as loss-leaders (losing money on every sale) at $9.99 to draw in customers.

delphidb96
04-03-2010, 02:49 AM
A group of the five largest publishers have got together and announced that they will only sell ebooks to retail outlets willing to stick to a set of minimum prices. This is being referred to as the agency pricing model, and is partly designed to stop sellers like Amazon from discounting bestsellers heavily at the time of their hardcover release to attract buyers to their stores.

All the ebooks from these publishers have been pulled from sale over the last couple of days while they get the new pricing structure in place.

Retailers are also scrambling madly to renegotiate their contracts with these publishers.

Until all the new prices are in place it's unclear what the final effect on the various stores and their prices is going to be.

Graham

IOW, price fixing. I note in passing that an ebook I willingly pre-paid for through FW is now missing from my bookshelf and I have been 'refunded' the money. How 'nice' of them. Needless to say, given the publisher attitude that brought this about, I feel no compunction against darknetting it. I had already *PAID* for it but FW had to yank it so that the publisher could charge more??? Nope. Ain't gonna put up with that.

Derek

DJHARKAVY
04-03-2010, 03:42 AM
IOW, price fixing. I note in passing that an ebook I willingly pre-paid for through FW is now missing from my bookshelf and I have been 'refunded' the money. How 'nice' of them. Needless to say, given the publisher attitude that brought this about, I feel no compunction against darknetting it. I had already *PAID* for it but FW had to yank it so that the publisher could charge more??? Nope. Ain't gonna put up with that.

Derek

I got an email from fictionwise today telling me that some of my pre-ordered ebooks are no longer available.

I don't know what books are referenced.

delphidb96
04-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I got an email from fictionwise today telling me that some of my pre-ordered ebooks are no longer available.

Yeah. I noticed they failed to state that on mine as well. However, I only had ONE ebook on pre-order, so it was rather easy to figure it out in my case. :D

Derek

chlorine
04-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Graham, DawnFalcon.
So fixed price means no more fictionwise sales for these books I guess. OTOH I could already not benefit of most sales because geographical restrictions prevented me from paying with credit card.
I do hope the books come back though, I _want_ to read my book!

Ironically, this book in paperback seems to be currently discounted at amazon :/

http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Castings-Trilogy-Pamela-Freeman/dp/0316035629/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270316991&sr=8-3

(I think I'll end up buying it in paper if it's not back on sale as an ebook on monday or something).

Terisa de morgan
04-03-2010, 03:30 PM

IOW, price fixing. I note in passing that an ebook I willingly pre-paid for through FW is now missing from my bookshelf and I have been 'refunded' the money.

At least you have info or a refund, I've none of them and an e-book at my bookshelf I can't download.

DJHARKAVY
04-03-2010, 03:37 PM
At least you have info or a refund, I've none of them and an e-book at my bookshelf I can't download.

Give them a few days to work things out...

langshipley
04-07-2010, 06:13 AM
I can say that these publishers are no longer listed. But I do think they will be listed again under the new agency model.

What is this new agency model that you are referring to and how is it affecting the sale of eBooks on Fictionwise so that publishers are removing books?

Angst
04-07-2010, 11:50 AM
What is this new agency model that you are referring to and how is it affecting the sale of eBooks on Fictionwise so that publishers are removing books?

The agency model is the way Apple sells iPod software. The retailer gets 30%, and the publisher sets the price.

More details here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5800

From http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/support/index.php?action=announcements&id=14

On April 1st 2010, two of our distributors asked all of their retailers, including Diesel eBooks, to temporarily pull titles from the following publishers:

Hachette
HarperCollins
Macmillan
Penguin
Simon & Schuster
(Please see below for a complete list of imprints.)

These publishers, now known as the Agency Five, are renegotiating eBook terms with their retailers and are working to have this issue resolved shortly. Once Diesel receives the okay, we will restore all the titles of the aforementioned publishers to the store as soon as possible.

more here: http://blog.kobobooks.com/2010/03/29/countdown-to-agency-and-party-like-its-9-99/

In the mean time, we, the consumers, are starved for information.

cbarnett
04-07-2010, 08:57 PM
What amazes me is that there are these teething problems at all. The model change was announced months ago. Surely with that much time to prepare, the changeover should have been swift and efficient. :smack:

This does nothing for my confidence in the publishers or distributors, to be honest (and you really don't want to hear how low my opinion of the publishers already was :p ).

pilotbob
04-07-2010, 10:32 PM
What amazes me is that there are these teething problems at all. The model change was announced months ago. Surely with that much time to prepare, the changeover should have been swift and efficient. :smack:

I guess you have never worked in a big company and dealt with legal departments trying to agree on terms. :cool:

BOb

ficbot
04-07-2010, 11:19 PM
It was began months ago, not finalized until days ago, and then as soon as the ink was dry on the contracts, the publishers started freaking out and submitting changes for individual titles. It certainly sounded like from what the guy at Kobo told me, they are keeping the retailers on their toes. I blame the publishers for this.