View Full Version : How many backups do you have?

Sydney's Mom
03-30-2010, 11:24 PM
We all have a number of ebooks, and worry about providers going out of business, ereaders failing, computer crashes. So how many backups do you have?

I am up to nine. I have three computers (laptop, netbook, desktop, in that order of use) and I have my ebooks in Calibre on each machine. I also back-up each computer. I also have my library in dropbox, so that makes 7. I also backup to an SD card, and backup just the library on a portable hard drive.

Now that I have listed all of this, it sounds kind of excessive. :o How about you? How many backups do you have?

FizzyWater
03-30-2010, 11:50 PM
I've had to re-create my computer from "new build" four times since mid-December.

I have a single set of backups at the moment, but have been recently trying to come up with an organized backup schedule (including making a complete "image" of my computer so I don't have to start over from new the next time some d@mn worm makes it onto my computer!)

So right now, my answer is one. But I expect that to change in the next month or so as I figure out my official backup schedule.

Katti's Cat
03-30-2010, 11:54 PM
I have the books on the reader, on my hard drive (twice, once as downloaded the other as Calibre backup). And I backup the lot on an external drive.

ChrisC333
03-31-2010, 01:55 AM
Now that I have listed all of this, it sounds kind of excessive. :o How about you? How many backups do you have?

Yes, nine copies does sound like the road to Weirdsville may not be too far down the track... :p Just kidding. ;)

I have one extra copy - a regular backup of the main computer - which is stored separately. Any more seems unnecessary, but that's just a personal choice.

All the books that are on my hard drive could be downloaded again from the place I got them from. In the event that the site had gone or the book been deleted, then I could retrieve it from the backup.

As I also have more than one portable reading device I do temporarily end up with more than one copy, while they're actively being read. But my focus is on keeping the number of multiples down, not up. I see the clutter as a nuisance rather than an asset.

To put it into perspective, I have over 2,000 printed books and not one of them are "backed up". They're all just single volumes. I could lose any or all of those books through fire, theft, or plain old carelessness. It's a possibility, but I don't lose sleep over it.

The worst thing that could happen to me is that an ebook could go missing. In my case, this would be more likely to happen because I had lost track of some overly cluttered and complicated system than because a book simultaneously vanished from both the Internet and my computer. I also only re-read a fairly small percentage of books, so it mostly wouldn't bother me if I couldn't retrieve one that I'd already read anyway.

But if push came to shove, and I managed to lose both on and off-line copies, then I'd be prepared to buy a favourite book again. To me that would cost a lot less than the value of the time I would waste managing multi-layer backups, let alone the cost of the extra hardware or on-line backup space.

It really depends on what floats your boat. If you're a worrier, or if you actually enjoy the procedures involved in making elaborate backups - and some people clearly do - then that's cool too. :cool:

Cheers,

Chris

Marcy
03-31-2010, 02:35 AM
I have the copy on my computer, a copy on my external hard drive and a cloud back-up. How much more do you need? If either my computer or my hard drive fails I have the other. If my house burns to the ground I have my cloud copy. If I wanted to be really secure I suppose I could cloud copy to two different locations. One of the many great things about ebooks is how small they are. My library of over 1300 books is only 1.1GB.

-Marcy

astra
03-31-2010, 05:16 AM
I am up to nine

9 backups of the same staff? :eek:
Do you have at least 1 backup of your ebooks outside of the house? In case of fire or flooding? Is it the dropbox backup?

I have 2 backups.
The mains storage is on my desktop + 2 backups.
The first backup is on my portable HD.
The second backup is on external HD at work that is basically a mirror of my portable HD.
That's it :chinscratch:

P.S. the same applies to my pics.

carlobee
03-31-2010, 06:38 AM
wow. that sure is a lot.

i only have 3. My laptop, an external HDD and Dropbox.

kovidgoyal
03-31-2010, 07:11 AM
I have daily, weekly and monthly backups going back three months on a network server in a datacentre which is itself backed up on another server in another datacentre.

In addition all my data is synced between three different computers

So I think you're doing just fine ;)

Stitchawl
03-31-2010, 07:49 AM
My entire book collection (as well as all my data, Calibre and Sony Library, all software, photos, music, etc., etc.,) is backed up onto two separate 1.5 terabyte external hard drives that are always connected to my main computer and synced weekly. Then I have another 1.5 terabyte external that gets connected once a month to get an updated sync.

"I promise I'll never go hungry again" ... nor lose important stuff!

Stitchawl

ficbot
03-31-2010, 08:28 AM
1) Dropbox folder on my computer
2) 'In the cloud' backup to Dropbox of the folder
3) Once a week, backup of same to USB key on my keychain
4) Backup to disk drive using time machine when I remember

I don't create many 'documents' at home so my ebooks are the one thing which would take me the longest to restore to a satisfactory level in case of computer accident. I could re-download most of them from the vendors, but it would take a long time to put back the cover art, tags etc. and to liberate again those books which need liberation.

GhostHawk
03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
I have the majority of my collection burned to DVD (2 copys) a copy on my computer, another on a 16gig SD card, and 2 more 4 gig sd cards, one in my wifes Jetbook, and one in my Jetbook lite.
(Just switched to the light last week.)

I have a lot of unsorted, uncoverted Data which has been liberated, with a lot of duplications, both in books and in folders. (ie Stephen King, King, Steven, King S, etc)
Its a long slow process sorting it all out. As it gets sorted, file names fixed, etc it gets added to my master backup which is sorted by Genre.

So I have 6 backups.

abookreader
03-31-2010, 10:14 AM
I have my eReader devices, my Calibre database and my computer gets backed up to Mozy.com daily...

rcuadro
03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
All I have is the library in Calibre on my iMac and a back up on an extrernal drive using Time Machine.

DawnFalcon
03-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Let's see...

I have my "active data" mirrored daily between two hard disks on my PC. Then there's the weekly copy to a hard disk in a USB bay attached to my router*, and the monthly backup of important changed files onto DVD-R. Plus the "deep storage" on hard disks of older stuff for archive, which I do every year or so onto two hard disks (I have a stack of 20GB hard disks I use for this, heh).

I've also been known to keep a copy of a lot of the important stuff on the laptop, and there's a bunch of irreplaceable stuff which I update every year or so on DVD-R which is held for me at my parents house.

And quite a bit of my work is stored online on wiki's anyway, which come with backups..

(*ASUS WL500g. They're nifty.)

MaMiller
03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
When I saw this thread, I thought it was ironic as I had just posted a similar topic on my blog. I had a horror story to share regarding backups :eek: I lost books that I had written. :smack: yes BOOKS..multiple.

The poor world. Think of the loss! hahahaha :)

If you get a chance, take a peak at it. http://maureenamiller.blogspot.com/

Sydney's Mom
03-31-2010, 08:26 PM
When I saw this thread, I thought it was ironic as I had just posted a similar topic on my blog. I had a horror story to share regarding backups :eek: I lost books that I had written. :smack: yes BOOKS..multiple.

The poor world. Think of the loss! hahahaha :)

If you get a chance, take a peak at it. http://maureenamiller.blogspot.com/

This brings up a good point. Your backups need to be tested. I was doing automatic backups via Windows 7. I was having a problem with my new netbook, and took it in. The tec said unless you had a corporate backup program, that cost thousands (sounds like Kovid's), you shouldn't use automatic backup. You should back up the files you want to keep - .pst files, documents, photos, music, videos. I am going to add my python file, cause I put a lot of scripts in there. The automatic backup program built into Windows is useless, and gives a false sense of security.

DawnFalcon
03-31-2010, 11:23 PM
The basic windows one, yes, but there is other backup software out there like Comodo's which can handle simply periodic copies quite nicely.

kovidgoyal
04-01-2010, 12:43 AM
The tec said unless you had a corporate backup program, that cost thousands (sounds like Kovid's), you shouldn't use automatic backup.

Mine I wrote myself, with open source tools. Cost me a day to write and test it :)

FizzyWater
04-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Mine I wrote myself, with open source tools. Cost me a day to write and test it :)

:rolleyes:

Show off.

Don't you have something to update on Calibre or something?

:D

Bremen Cole
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I back up my music, photos, ebooks and documents to 3 different hard drives in the home, and one off site (once a month) in a safety deposit box. There ae countless non-replaceable items in all those but, the photos are a must.......

When the house is burning down, everything can be replaced by insurance except the items listed..... and if it were not for digital, then they too would be lost.....

All of you "physical" object folks (paper books, cd's, paper photo's) just do not realize that if you want it to really last.... go digital.

Sydney's Mom
04-03-2010, 02:29 PM

Like I said, one that should cost thousands!;)

SensualPoet
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
So how many backups do you have?

I am up to nine. ...

Now that I have listed all of this, it sounds kind of excessive.

I believe the word is obsessive. ;)

I'm running rebit, a real time software program for around $30 for Windows, which backs up everything and keeps multiple versions as space permits. It's attached to an external hard-drive (1 terabyte) that cost about $120. Mac users will recognise this strategy as Time Machine.

It's very effective, no muss no fuss, and relatively inexpensive. Then, about once a year, I buy a new external drive ($120) and start over, putting the old drive away safely (same house, different room).

I like the idea of cloud storage -- Microsoft offers 25GB free Skydrive -- and I may just do that for selected files -- like photos. My master genealogy file is the only thing I have a (recent) copy of that's actually offsite (at the office). I dunno; maybe I'll pop one of those archived hard drive's in my desk at the office, too.

kaan
04-03-2010, 08:10 PM
An interesting subject.

Full disclosure: I work for the top remote backup company in Denmark.

I can see that you all are doing a lot more than most people.

I strongly recommend that you use some sort of cloud storage for your backups. preferably two different providers.

With that out of the way, here is what I DON'T recommend:

Flash memory of any kind!!! They will fail! Use for transport and convenience only.

The old harddrive you have in the drawer from your old computer. Its just waiting to die on you, and will do so even if it isn't plugged in.
If you are going to use a harddrive in your backup rotation, then do what SensualPoet does and buy a new set of drives once a year.

CD/DVD is an attractive option when you look at the price, but reliability over time is appalling. If you resort to this medium, do remember to read out the data every 3 years and burn them to a new disc (don't use the cheap disks).

The solution to bitrot hasn't been found yet, and for long term storage paper is still king.

I hope this was of some use :)

-Klaus

Edit: With me working for a backup company like that, it is obvious that I never do backup of my own computer ;)

pilotbob
04-04-2010, 12:53 AM
The solution to bitrot hasn't been found yet, and for long term storage paper is still king.

I have decided as an extra backup measure for my ebooks I am going to get a box of legal pads and copy out the text of the books onto the legal pads then put them in my safety deposit box.

I'm brilliant... it will last 100 years (acid free paper). :thumbsup:

BTW: This idea is patent pending. If anyone wants to use this idea you must paypal $1000 to me.

BOb