View Full Version : eReader Survey

MikeOnyx
03-30-2010, 02:12 AM
Hi everyone,

Onyx takes value in the opinion of you guys and would like for you to help us in designing your perfect device. Please let us know in detail what it is. Thank you.

Please list these features like below:
1. appearance
2. Functions
3. Specifications
4. Colors
5. other

Sweetpea
03-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Here goes:

For a general novel reading device:

1. appearance
Sleek, no huge bezel, just enough to be able to hold comfortably without touch the screen (about 1cm should do it). The room underneath the screen can be a bit larger, but the other three margins should be the same size. Page buttons on the left side, right side and bottom bezel of the device. Reason for that: if I turn in bed, I shouldn't have to reach to the other size of the device to turn a page.

2. Functions
At least good support for epub, pdf and mobipocket (DRM not required, I'll strip that anyway ;))
The ability to highlight and maybe annotate for at least the formats I mentioned above.
The ability to chose font and fontsize (with enough steps) for at least the formats I mentioned above.

3. Specifications
Touchscreen, with at least the possibility to use a stylus.
5" or 6".
SDHC-card slot
light-weight

4. Colors
I presume you mean the colour of the device here. Black.

5. other
The use of a PixelQi* screen would be perfect as I prefer backlit devices.

------------------------

For a more general device, used for studying, and general work and/or hobby-related functions:

1. appearance
Small bezel, at least on the left, right and top size. Bottom bezel can be larger, but not huge. Preferably all 4 the same, small, size.

2. Functions
At least good support for epub, pdf and mobipocket (DRM not required, I'll strip that anyway ;))
The ability to highlight and annotate for at least the formats I mentioned above.
The ability to chose font and fontsize (with enough steps) for at least the formats I mentioned above.
The ability to make "new documents", so I can make notes. These documents should be saved, preferably in text format (though that'll require handwriting recognition), but some image format would be fine too, as long as I can open it again and continue on the same document.
There should be a browser

3. Specifications
Touchscreen, with at least the possibility to use a stylus.
Larger than 9" screen, preferably 11".
WiFi.
A PixelQi* screen
SDHC-card slot

4. Colors
Again, I presume the colour of the device: Black or silver, or a combination.

5. other
I'd take this device with me to meetings and such, so it should have a sturdy cover. Also, I'd love such a device as a cookbook in my kitchen, so a watertight container would be nice to have as well.

* with a PixelQi screen, I mean a screen that has two modii. One that is easy to read in daylight and saves battery, one that is easy to read in dark surroundings, which requires a backlit screen. A general transflective screen would work as well.

LDBoblo
03-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Here goes:
---SNIP---
* with a PixelQi screen, I mean a screen that has two modii. One that is easy to read in daylight and saves battery, one that is easy to read in dark surroundings, which requires a backlit screen. A general transflective screen would work as well.
I'm not going to write out my personal criteria, but I'll agree that a Pixel Qi or other screen would be nice, as I want the speed very badly. Just make an iPad with Pixel Qi, and I'll provide my first born along with the cash.

John F
03-30-2010, 08:51 AM
My primary purposes for an eReader is for "novels", so I want a device that maximizes that experience.

Large page forward buttons on both left and right sides, toward the lower half.

Good customizable reading software. Should be able to choose font with any point size, margins, line spacing, spacing between paragraphs, ...

I think an 8" device would be my sweet spot for size, and nothing smaller than six inches.

Folders, card slot.

The higher the resolution of the display the better.

boydcarts
03-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Sweetpea pretty much nailed it for me with two exceptions, touch screen and backlit display. I'm ambivalent at best when it comes to a touch screen. It would never be at the top of my "wishlist" for features, and if not implemented well, could actually be a point against a reader. For example,(in my opinion) the screens on the Sony 700 and 600 are not as sharp or "contrasty" as the screen on the Sony 505. This has been enough to prevent me from buying the "Daily" reader. If a touch screen could be as good or better than that of a Sony 505 I'd be open to the idea. I feel the same way about backlighting. I have no problems with the display on my 505, and all of the books I read for the last 40 years required a light to read at night, so I personally have no strong need for backlighting. Again though, if it's done well (i.e good battery life and no eyestrain from extended reading) it wouldn't prevent me from buying a reader.
One last thing. I want a reader to read, so that's all I want it to do. I don't need it to be a phone, a camera, or a gps. I don't want to get on the internet, check my email, do my banking, or watch video. I want a dedicated device that lets me read comfortably and easily.
And as for the question of a color screen, see my thoughts on touchscreen and backlighting above.

sony_fox
03-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Prime importance - absolute top - is USABILITY.

This device has to be comfortable to hold, and sensible and intuative to use. No reaching or stretching or changing hand position to press button, no endless menu options, I want something that I can pick up and read for hours without fuss. It has to be robust, and longlasting.

Other useful things, Helpful, available tech support, full manuals, reasonable software that sorts sensibly etc

Only after that do I care about looks, brand, colour and fancy features or whatever .

I don't want touchscreen. Particularly not if it comes at a cost of screen readability. Ditto wireless or 3G. (but if you can make internet proxy so it can buy without geo restrictions I'll reconsider :rofl:)

One last thing. I want a reader to read, so that's all I want it to do. I don't need it to be a phone, a camera, or a gps. I don't want to get on the internet, check my email, do my banking, or watch video. I want a dedicated device that lets me read comfortably and easily.

+lots.:thumbsup:

LDBoblo
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Perhaps a moldable UI that lets users selectively prune down the functionality of their devices. That way the folks who so vocally "don't need" things can be satisfied without crippling the device for the rest of the market.

Just make it fast, or high quality, or if you're really audacious, a combination of the two. Any of those would be a nice breath of fresh air for dedicated ebook readers.

ShellShock
03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Sweetpea pretty much nailed it for me with two exceptions, touch screen and backlit display. I'm ambivalent at best when it comes to a touch screen. It would never be at the top of my "wishlist" for features, and if not implemented well, could actually be a point against a reader. For example,(in my opinion) the screens on the Sony 700 and 600 are not as sharp or "contrasty" as the screen on the Sony 505. This has been enough to prevent me from buying the "Daily" reader. If a touch screen could be as good or better than that of a Sony 505 I'd be open to the idea. I feel the same way about backlighting. I have no problems with the display on my 505, and all of the books I read for the last 40 years required a light to read at night, so I personally have no strong need for backlighting. Again though, if it's done well (i.e good battery life and no eyestrain from extended reading) it wouldn't prevent me from buying a reader.
And as for the question of a color screen, see my thoughts on touchscreen and backlighting above.

Rather than paraphrase all this, I thought I would quote it entirely, and I agree with all these points! So that is at least two votes for:

Screen at least as good as PRS505.
No backlight.
No phone, camera, gps, kitchen sink.
Good epub support (justification etc).

Desertway
03-30-2010, 04:41 PM
1. appearance
No wasted space, small bezel on three sides, small keyboard on bottom. Sleek, simple, not fussy, single color frame.

2. Functions
Epub (DRM for library support and bookstores), pdf, mobi, eReader (DRM if continued by B&N), TXT, RTF, HTML. The ability to name bookmarks, search in every format, dictionary, and annotation. Ability to organize by folders or collections or tags. On device font and font size selection, as well as justification and margin adjustment.

3. Specifications
5-6 inches. Lightweight. No touchscreen, no wireless. SD slot. Page turn buttons on right, left, bottom. BACKLIGHT! If no backlight, then an optional reading light designed for the device, something that lights the whole screen evenly and clips properly and unobtrusively without a cover. (See all the "booklight" threads on this site.)

4. Colors
Black and white. Maybe a couple of covers in different colors for those who like them.

5. other
No apps, or anything that would distract from reading. I prefer the eBook experience to be all about the content of the book. The device serves the content, it is not a gadget to play with, or hack. We have plenty of other devices for that. The only exception might be a software component for RSS aggregation and syncing.

JSWolf
03-30-2010, 04:43 PM
One thing many people leave out when designing a reader is something that is very important and NONE of the readers have....

What we really need big time is PROPER HYPHENATION SUPPORT so fully justified text looks good.

Without it, you are no better then the other guy.

MikeOnyx
03-31-2010, 01:52 AM
These are great suggestions. However another question would be, realistically, how much are you willing to pay for such a device or like to see the retail price of the device to be?

Sweetpea
03-31-2010, 02:59 AM
One thing many people leave out when designing a reader is something that is very important and NONE of the readers have....

What we really need big time is PROPER HYPHENATION SUPPORT so fully justified text looks good.

I have absolutely no problem with the current hyphenation support...

These are great suggestions. However another question would be, realistically, how much are you willing to pay for such a device or like to see the retail price of the device to be?

For the smaller device: between 200 and 300, the larger between 400 and 500.

Oh, and I also agree with ShellShock, it should be a reader with no gadgets added that do nothing to improve the reading quality.

nikkers
03-31-2010, 04:50 AM
as per sweetpea except on size 4'' would me more comfertable qne handed

rtype
03-31-2010, 05:13 AM
I use my reader (sony 505) for novels, main improvements I would upgrade for would be:

1. larger screen about 7" I think would be perfect
2. speed instant page refreshes would be a big attraction
3. ergonomics, easy to hold without hitting buttons by accident, but still easy to hit something to change the page.
4. font and line-spacing adjustable , my niece has dyslexia and this would be a big help to her.

I don't need or want a backlight, touch screen (that diminishes the readability of the screen)
I don't really want to pay for but would take at minimal cost:
3g
wifi , which would be nice with a stanza like ability to download books

I'm not going to upgrade to anything costing more than $200

Jellby
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
1. Appearance. Something simple, no fancy design. Big screen (in relation to the device size) with minimal frame and case. But easy to hold with one hand and press the buttons.

2. Functions. High degree of configurability. Allow the user to set a custom CSS sheet (with margins, fonts, etc.), portrait or landscape orientation, optional status bar, arbitrary zoom factor, auto-scale images to fit the screen (optional too), dictionary lookup, annotations (even if it's only select a word and mark it with a sign). Full ePUB support with multilevel table of contens, smallcaps, headers/footers, SVG... Decent PDF support with antialiasing, hyperlinks (intra-document), two-column reading, etc. Possibility of turning the device off, but leaving something in the screen (a picture, a map, a checklist...)

3. Specifications. I'm very happy with my Cybook Gen3, so that would be pretty much my choice. Faster processor, more memory, support for SDHC, or even USB drives.

4. Colors. Something dark (black or dark gray), something light (white or light gray), no need for more colous, but have some nice skins available :D

5. Other. Frequent software ugrades, possibility of additional apps, even user-contributed.

Solicitous
03-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Overall I think the current line of ereaders are brilliant for general novel reading. Where I think the market could expand is in the academic area. This would be suitable for both academics and students.

1. Appearance Not too concerned. I do steer clear of white electronic goods, tend to show dirt.

2. Functions I feel the ability to read PDFs and be able to crop the margins of the entire document you are reading and not just 'zoom' on the current page.

Ability to load multiple documents at once and switch between with ease.

Ability to load .HTML files and follow hyperlinks to other .HTML files stored on the reader.

3. Specifications Love to see a 9.7" reader, or a size suitable for reading A4 documents on. I personally find printing documents 2 pages per side sufficient (A5 size I think each page gets scaled to). PDF is a must as most academic journals are PDF.

4. Colors As said before, I steer clear of white.

MikeOnyx, for a device that fits those criteria I have I would be prepared to spend approx $500AUS (roughly $450US). Sad thing is what I am asking could be done with a software update for the KindleDX.

John F
03-31-2010, 08:41 AM
That would depend on the device. What I would like should be priced $150-$250.

Hamlet53
03-31-2010, 09:11 AM
As others have stated I want an e-book reader. I don't need it to sub for a smart phone, web browser, camera, or MP3 player. Especially since these extra capabilities can only increase the bulk, weight, and cost.

For screen size I've been spoiled by my Daily Edition to want at 8-inch; wouldn't want smaller and larger would make the device to clumsy I think. I also now want the touch screen capability with ability to highlight text and add notes. I do miss the clarity of the Sony 505 e-link screen though. I'd actually be willing to pay for a dual screen device, two-color screen of Sony 505 quality, and a full color touch screen for books that have graphics that must be appreciated this way. The rub is I don't think I'd buy such a device until the price dropped to $400 or below.

Oh yeah, a biggie the ability to read about every format out there, but for sure PDF, HTML, RTF, EPUB, and MOBI.

garbanzo
03-31-2010, 09:20 AM
i have a PRS-300. looks and works fine. my only complaint is the firmware.

instead of fancy features, focus on organization. people with large collections really need a good way to keep their books sorted on the device. folders and tags would be best, with lots of option about how the collection can be displayed (author, genre, title, tag, folder, pub date, date added, etc)

TGS
03-31-2010, 09:31 AM
instead of fancy features, focus on organization. people with large collections really need a good way to keep their books sorted on the device. folders and tags would be best, with lots of option about how the collection can be displayed (author, genre, title, tag, folder, pub date, date added, etc)

Agree with this - if the IREX DR800 did this, supported annotations (which it will), and was pretty (which it never will be), it would be perfect..... for a while at least, until someone thought of a new feature that one just had to have.

ChrisC333
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
1. appearance
2. Functions
3. Specifications
4. Colors
5. other

My ideal would be something very close to an iPad in size and looks. I currently read on both an e-ink reader and a netbook and like them both. However, the netbook wins out for me because I like the backlit screen and the ability to display PDFs accurately and with colour. I also like the fact that I can install a wide range of my own choice of software on it.

I'm not fussed one way or another about wi-fi and I don't want 3G. An iPad style device with USB connectivity and a more open software access would be perfect.

I probably wouldn't be tempted by another e-ink reader unless it really stood out for some reason, as the ones already available seem to offer a reasonable choice. However, the local support and distribution for most of them is poor here in Australia, so a good performance there might be attractive.

I'd be unlikely to want to pay any more than $350 or so for a decent e-ink device. However, I'd pay up to $1000 for a tablet style device that I could use for more than just basic text reading. Although, if the features and specs were attractive enough, I'd be prepared to go a lot higher than that for a really good tablet style computer.

sergiodongala
03-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Here is mine:
1. appearance
cruchpad like
2. Functions
annotation, dictionary, pdf and epub
3. Specifications
9" or more
e-ink or PixelQ screen

LDBoblo
03-31-2010, 02:04 PM
As far as cost, it depends on functionality. If it's a slow typical ebook reader, I wouldn't want to pay more than $100usd for it, regardless of touch screen or wifi or other features.

If it's a fast epaper reader with a good screen and decent software/firmware, maybe $250-400. I can't think of anything on the market that manages both "fast" and "e-paper" yet. A good, small capacitive touch Mirasol reader with the Sony Touch Edition chassis design would be in this range (lower half) probably. For E-Ink, it'd have to be the fastest/brightest b&w they've demonstrated (not the typical current-gen Vizplex stuff), and the software would need to be pretty polished, and the reader software would need good H&J and font support.

I'd drop $600 for a Pixel Qi iPad-like device (and might do so if NotionInk actually comes up with their product)

CyGuy
03-31-2010, 02:13 PM
1. Appearance
Device should be sleek, slim, slender. Black color of course.

2. Functions
Must have folder view.

3. Specifications
Must have a built-in SDHC card reader, no sale if it is missing this. Should have mini-USB for charging and copy/paste. A backlight would be very very nice (LED). Screen size around 9". Battery life of at least 10 hours.

4. Colors
Black

5. Other
Should support any/all formats, and no DRM support needed for me personally.

Desertway
03-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Well there are a lot of opinions out there. Like some others, my earlier post was focused on 5"-6" device, multi-format support, ease of navigation, look-up functions, and library organization. No wireless, no touchscreen, no color. No frills. I would pay $200USD for that.

Xenophon
03-31-2010, 03:37 PM
My absolute top-of-the-list showstopper-level requirement is that the screen must be NO WORSE than the current Vizplex screens. That is, touch layers above the eInk are a no-no. If you can provide a device with better contrast and/or higher resolution (in terms of pixels per inch) that would be great too. I realize, however, that contrast and resolution are driven more by screen technology than device design, so improvements on this front will typically be industry-wide.

A very close second is massively improved ergonomics. The REB1100 (now sold as the eBookWise 1100) has yet to be equaled for it's physical ergonomics. If you haven't used one, don't just look at pictures! Spend some company $$ and buy one (they're cheap!) and use it for a few hours. Then force your industrial design team to use it. A few of the important points:

It fits well in your hand; that odd-looking battery-lump is actually functional.
The user can choose which page-turn button is forward vs. backward.
The device can be rotated so that any of its four sides is the top.
Its large page-turn buttons mean that no matter how you hold it, there's always a button that's super-convenient to press. Even so, their placement means they don't get pushed by accident either.

These features combine to guarantee that the next-page button is ALWAYS well-placed, no matter how the user chooses to hold the device! (It's an old-tech device, of course, so by today's standards it's too heavy, too slow, and has a sucky screen. None of which detracts from the points above.) This ergonomics issue is a HUGE BIG DEAL! I'm absolutely boggled that nobody's done better than the REB1100 in all these years. Hit these first two items, and I'll buy one for sure.

Third come a bunch of firmware features you can implement outside the document reading software (e.g. no changes needed in the Adobe ePub reading software):

Support a user-provided document that can refer to another doc (like an html link to a local document), where clicking on the link causes the other document to open in the appropriate eBook display software. A good choice of format for this document would be an opds file (it's an open standard (http://code.google.com/p/openpub/)!) This single feature would allow user-defined navigation of the eBooks on the reader. And the Calibre folks (or the Calibre2opds folks) would be THRILLED to provide their users with configurable support for producing custom index files -- especially if the file format you choose is an open standard (http://code.google.com/p/openpub/). If you do this, you could skip the next two...
Robust organization support for users with LARGE libraries. Sony's collections are nice, and their lists with side-bar alphabet are OK, but they come up short when there are more than a few hundred books on the device.
Honor the "display-as" (or file-as, or author-sort, or whatever) attribute in eBook meta-data. All of the major ebook formats have metadata fields that distinguish between the visible representation of the author's name and the version to be used for sorting. That is, I want to see the author's name displayed as "John Doe," but have it sorted as "Doe, John" -- exactly as it would be on a library shelf!!!

Fourth come features that require changes to the software for displaying eBooks (such as Adobe's ADE mobile):

User-selectable fonts. A reasonable selection built-in is a good start. Support for user-downloaded fonts would be even better!
Good hyphenation support. This makes full-justification look OK, instead of lousy.
If automatic hyphenation is NOT available, allow the user to TURN OFF full-justification and go with ragged-right instead.
Let the user turn off the *&^%*&^%C teeny right-margin page numbers in ADE mobile! New versions of ADE already support this, IIRC.

I'll probably think of more right after hitting send.

Xenophon

JSWolf
03-31-2010, 03:49 PM
I have absolutely no problem with the current hyphenation support...

You don't have hyphenation support right now.

Vienna01
04-01-2010, 03:19 AM

You're right to ask how much forum members might pay for their ideal device. The features and quality of a reader need to be matched with price to be meaningful.

I see some large numbers posted by folks with Euros. I would not pay over $300 for a reader.

A low price market entrant
Delstar just came out with a color reader called Openbook that sold [sells] at Walgreens for $99 on sale. Its' HW looks great. Its' SW wasn't nearly ready. They didn't support DRM. They didn't have a tie-in with an major ebook seller yet. However, they will likely get accurate display for several formats before 2011 and get their act together sometime in 2011.

Without knowing how well the Openbook reader performed several mobileread members purchased the reader sight unseen.That might tell something about the pull an inexpensive reader might have, even on sophisticated users. The reader was offered with a 30 day return privilege -the buyers weren't gamblers.

You should be able to exceed the Openbook price point and even get double digit share in NA, Pacific Basin or Europe. To do that your device needs to look "cool" [whatever that is], be eye-friendly[little eye strain], render most popular formats accurately, display PDF reasonably, provide a convenient way for buyers to purchase books and to borrow ebooks from libraries [public or rental maybe]. This indicates you need to support DRM such as Adobe Digital and/or ePUB's DRM flavor. As a later player, a new vendor [except Apple and Amazon] cannot dictate a new format.

I'm not clear about the need to provide GEN 3 Telecom data access to books in a base-priced reader. You might have a second flavor with a higher price for that. If your users can browse and buy books using their smart phones but for delivery to their purpose-built ereader, that would be a big plus even if they were not to read on their phones. Folks seem to like using WiFi to put data on their devices such as phones and readers. The need to connect a device to a PC or MAC using a cable seems to turn buyers off. I don't know how much extra might be paid to have this feature.

How much would I really pay?
For my second ereader,this week I paid $300 for a quality B&W [eINK] reader. That reader receives raves from sophisticated buyers.I doubt this vendor will ever have double digit market share most places [maybe in Cyrillic countries]. It is however the kind of reader members of Mobileread.com might [do] buy.

But I don't know about marketing, I'm just an engineer!

Sweetpea
04-01-2010, 03:30 AM
You don't have hyphenation support right now.

actually, I do... at least on my Mini I do. I'm using PDF on it. And I'm absolutely not missing it on my other two readers.

Sweetpea
04-01-2010, 03:31 AM
I see some large numbers posted by folks with Euros. I would not pay over $300 for a reader.

$300 = 300. More or less...

Logseman
04-01-2010, 06:00 AM
I'd like a design which feels strong, particularly of the screen. Screens are too fragile in my opinion. I'd be content with a D-pad similar to the ones in consoles which allows not 4, but 8 directions: the 4 extra buttons could be used for different things instead of navigation. Here is an example of what I envision:

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/5407/xboxpp.jpg

I'd like support for many formats in the line of Pocketbook products. I'm quite sure that is the way to follow, many formats and font sizes for your choice, aside of being able to manage the content by yourself. In a particular note it would be interesting if the device supports .cbz and/or .cbr, for I would like a device with which I can read comics quite intensely. A strong PDF support becomes critical at screen sizes like the one I'm suggesting.

Specifications: Touch screen (it is a must for note taking and highlighting); 9 inches, for a proper PDF reading experience; a decent processor, 533 Mhz or more, and a bucket of RAM, a minimum of 128 MB, which doesn't leave you stuck. Please NO MP3 support: the money you spent in getting the licence and building an audio jack is better spent somewhere else. SD-HC or microSD-HC support is necessary as well.

Colors: whatever, but please a red version :D

Other: I love the open-source concept as a matter of conviction in its possibilities, so I envision every reader I buy to be open source. I can't program anything myself, but the fact that it's possible to do so is a plus for me.

I'm ready to bring about 400 euro to buy such a marvel. Another thing is that I can do it in a short term :(

Magnesus
04-01-2010, 06:21 AM
1. Appearance.
To be honest - I don't care much about design of the device. But please don't make it red like some PRS-505. :D

2. Functions.
a) for a black and white reading device- current Onyx Boox 60 set of functions is almost OK, adding to that:
- better dictionary usability and speed (for example a key for opening it),
- ability to change font in any format,
- ability to set space between of paragraphs (it should be 0 but isn't in some files - I want to have the ability to set it to 0) - maybe there should be an option in menu to go to more advanced configuration with things like paragraph and font setting,
- ability to flip pages in PDF without any lines from previous page on the next one (but detecting when a line of text is on the border and then showing it whole on the next page would be very useful),
- longer time without charging,
- music player with flac support and good signal to noise ratio in the device digital to analog converter.
b) for a color one - preferable dual boot with two system - one similar to Onyx Boox one (for reading) and one fully fledged system like Ubuntu Netbook Remix or Android. I don't see any reason to make colour reading device that isn't additionally a tablet like iPad.

3. Specifications.
- USB port could be useful (for external keyboard for example)
- Size: 6'' for black and white, 10'' for colour. Screen: e-ink/sipix for black and white, pixel qi/mirasol/liquivista for color

4. Colors.
Colors of screen - black and white for reading device, colour if it's also a tablet (Pixel Qi preferable or something like Liquivista/Mirasol).
Colors of the device - don't care, but preferably light (white or light gray) because I read once that black bevel is worse for your eyes.

5. Other.
Not violating GPL or any other licence.

6. Price
- max. 250 euro (with VAT) for a black-white e-ink device like Onyx Boox.
- max. 125 euro for a simple 6'' reading device (without wifi, stylus, dictionary etc.),
- max. 400-500 euro for a colour A5 (10'') device (depending on specification),

Logseman
04-01-2010, 09:11 AM
But please don't make it red like some PRS-505. :D:eek: Those are the thoughts of an EVILDOER!

Darqref
04-02-2010, 03:55 AM
[LIST=1]
I'd like a design which feels strong, particularly of the screen. Screens are too fragile in my opinion. I'd be content with a D-pad similar to the ones in consoles which allows not 4, but 8 directions: the 4 extra buttons could be used for different things instead of navigation. (

No, NO, NNNNOOOOO

Do NOT accept any type of these stupid D pads. I won't buy any reader that depends on a d pad for next page/previous page. I currently have a cybook gen3, and I won't buy anything like it again.

Instead, seriously, do what Xenophon says and buy one of the ebookwise units (I have an old Rocket which has the same ergonomics.) While the weight is a bit high, the shape is very comfortable to hold in any position I want. And, if you keep that shape, think about allowing it to be filled by a replaceable battery to back up the standard flat rechargeable ones. I should be able to change a couple of AA or AAA batteries, and keep reading instead of waiting hours for it to re-charge. Even if the standard battery lasts weeks, it is inevitable that it will run out in the middle of my book.

As long as you use one of the industry standard screens, and don't make the contrast any worse than current readers, the ergonomics of holding and using the device are critical. Comfortable shape, comfortable reach for buttons in any orientation, and fast switch or recharge of batteries.

Angst
04-02-2010, 03:07 PM
1. Durability - I carry my ereader everywhere and subject it to a lot of abuse. I currently have the sony prs-505 (sturdy) and have been looking at the pocketbook 360 (integrated cover).

2. Light/backlight. I didn't realize it when I bought my current reader, but the integrated lightwedge is a huge plus (although many people don't like them). The lightwedge is sensitive to scratches. When sony discontinued the model, I bought 2 more wedges so I would always have one. I'm actually considering buying another reader, (same make and model), because it's the only model with a light wedge.

3. Small footprint. I want the device as small and thin as possible. I regularly carry it in my back pocket.

4. At least 5+ different font sizes. The 3 I have now are not enough. Font sizes seem to vary from book to book, so I need to adjust for each book.

5. Cheap. I don't want to spend more than $200 for a reader. I would love a kindle DX for reading at home, but at $450+ there is no way I will buy one.

6. A dictionary. Other features are nice, but not essential.

ardeegee
04-02-2010, 06:22 PM
No, NO, NNNNOOOOO

Do NOT accept any type of these stupid D pads. I won't buy any reader that depends on a d pad for next page/previous page.

I would not want a reader with anything else. My first years of ebook reading were on a Handspring PDA-- reading consisted of holding the PDA with my left hand, thumb positioned over the up/down buttons for page changes. My Sony Reader has a d-pad in the same position, can be used the same way-- it is the simplest thing in the world to hold and navigate.

Bittybye
04-05-2010, 07:44 AM
1. appearance: Something sleek.
2. Functions: The more formats it supports the better. HCSD card compatibility.
3. Specifications: 7 inches, not too big, but not too small either. If there's no touch pad than clearly labeled buttons for turning pages, I think on the side.
4. Colors: White with skins so people can have whatever color or even pictures.
5. other: A sturdy cover to protect it. Even if it's something you have to buy separately.

Cost? Well somewhere between $250 or $400?

charleski
04-05-2010, 09:17 AM
These features combine to guarantee that the next-page button is ALWAYS well-placed, no matter how the user chooses to hold the device! ... This ergonomics issue is a HUGE BIG DEAL!

This is a very good point. Even a lightweight device like my PRS505 can be fatiguing to hold for long periods if I don't place it properly in my hand. Ideally, you want to hold the device so that its centre of gravity is over your fingers and the thumb is left free to operate the page-turn buttons rather than having to counter-balance the weight of the top-half. In general this means page-turn buttons placed fairly high up on the side (the 505's side buttons are really a bit too low for me). Holding ereaders by the big 'chin' that most have at the bottom is not comfortable for long periods - I always try to hold mine by the side.

Yes!!! Provide fully-justified text with automatic hyphenation and you will be unique among portable ereaders, not even the iPad can do this (a great disappointment). This would be a big selling point for me. Hyphenation rules vary by language, so doing it right might mean restricting support to a limited set of languages, but TBH I only read books in English :).

Other things I'd like:

User-modifiable css for epubs as Jellby mentioned (epub support is mandatory, obviously). You can offer a few options for changing things through a UI, but it's actually far easier for more advanced users to be able to change the default css directly. If users want to change fonts, let them load in their own ones, this saves you the hassle of worrying about licensing.
The option to remove all the fluff from the display - no status bar, no battery indicator, no page count, just the text.
A screen surface that's flush with the bezel. This might be a bit more expensive to engineer, but it does make the device easier to keep clean. Not a big issue though.

As far as size goes, for single-column reflowed text the current 6" devices like the 505 are just about perfect.

dsvick
04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
For my perfect device...

Start with the Sony PRS-900 then add the following...

A reading queue that you could add books to and sort.
A way to mark books as read/unread.
Collection management on the reader itself. (Creating, adding to and removing from, sorting, deleting). Without having to use external software.
A way to view the book details (cover, author, publication date, etc), without having to be reading the book.
More info in the details - tags, length, synopsis
Be able to specify the info shown in various view, for example the title, author, and length. Or cover, author, and tags.
A clock display.
Automated periodical and RSS feed subscription delivery.