View Full Version : Volunteers wanted `'Reseach project about Ereaders`'

UvA_research
03-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Dear reader,

for our research project we need four volunteers. The main purpose of this research is to investigate the usage of ereaders.

For this project, we defined three sub-questions; where, how and why do you use your ereader. These three sub-questions would derive us to an overview of the purpose and benefits of using an ereader.

We will take care of your privacy, and keep the information confidential.

The case:
- Per volunteer, make 5 upto 10 pictures of yourself while using your ereader and send them to 5980860@student.uva.nl. Please send them in before the 3th of April 2010.

For this research we are using the photo-elicitation method. Pictures provides us a better impression of the experience and will be used in the in-depth interviews.

After this task, we would send you an in depth interview which exist out of 10 questions. Thank you for your contribution in advance!

This is only a small part of our research. We also investigate local communities. Just to add an small global impression of ereader users and their behaviour. Off course we are aware of the fact that more than four persons will reply. More than four replies are very welcome, this will enhance the validity of our researchproject. This research is not an Master theses, only a project that has to be done in 16 weeks.

We are really interested in this topic, it will be a contribution for our Theses research proposal.

The research is done by supervision of the Amsterdam Business School. In this hyperlink you will find more information.

http://www1.fee.uva.nl/pp/ychandra/

Amsterdam business school
Master: Business studies
Course: International Marketing

TGS
03-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Dear reader,

for our research project we need four volunteers. The main purpose of this research is to investigate the usage of ereaders.

For this project, we defined three sub-questions; where, how and why do you use your ereader. These three sub-questions would derive us to an overview of the purpose and benefits of using an ereader.

We will take care of your privacy, and keep the information confidential.

The case:
- Per volunteer, make 5 upto 10 pictures of yourself while using your ereader and send them to 5980860@student.uva.nl.

After this task, we would send you an in depth interview which exist out of 10 questions. Thank you for your contribution in advance!

Amsterdam business school
Master: Business studies
Course: International Marketing

I think you need to explain why you need photographs!

UvA_research
03-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your comment, we will add this in the header as well.

Tamara
03-27-2010, 09:00 AM
The photograph part seems rather creepy and pointless.

TGS
03-27-2010, 09:15 AM
The photograph part seems rather creepy and pointless.

Well, photo-elicitation is a recognised and respectable research methodology in sociology, anthropology and cultural studies type areas. But I think that the researchers need to provide a bit more information - for example, the contact details of the person supervising their research so that, if anyone is interested in taking part, they can check out their bona fides. It also seems a bit methodologically clumsy to ask people to send photographs before being recruited to the study - what if, for example, 20 people send in photographs. The study only needs 4 participants so what happens to the other 16 sets of photographs?

Conor
03-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Four people sounds like a very small sample for a research project. How can you draw any statistically valid conclusions from that?
You'll understand why we seem suspicious.

GhostHawk
03-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Tell me more please so I can make an informed decision.

Does seem like an extremely small data sample.

40 pictures of 40 people would I think be much more "defining" than 10 pictures each from 4 people.

UvA_research
03-27-2010, 09:43 AM
This is only a small part of our research. We also investigate local communities. Just to add an small global impression of ereader users and their behaviour. Off course we are aware of the fact that more than four persons will reply. More than four replies are very welcome, this will enhance our validity of our researchproject. This research is not an Master theses, only a project that has to be done in 16 weeks.

We are really interested in this topic, it will be a contribution for our Theses research proposal.

The research is done by supervision of the Amsterdam Business School. In this hyperlink you will find more information.

http://www1.fee.uva.nl/pp/ychandra/

Tamara
03-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Well, photo-elicitation is a recognised and respectable research methodology in sociology, anthropology and cultural studies type areas. But I think that the researchers need to provide a bit more information - for example, the contact details of the person supervising their research so that, if anyone is interested in taking part, they can check out their bona fides. It also seems a bit methodologically clumsy to ask people to send photographs before being recruited to the study - what if, for example, 20 people send in photographs. The study only needs 4 participants so what happens to the other 16 sets of photographs?

I understand pictures for certain things to illustrate the point you are seeking to make but I don't see how someone taking 10 pictures of themselves with a reader helps the research study. It would seem that a better method for this particular study would be a series of carefully crafted questions that the participants answer.

poohbear_nc
03-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I agree - the pictures requirement is just plain creepy - and would seem to have no real place in legitimate research - only in posting "authentic" photos in ads without having gotten consent.

TGS
03-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I understand pictures for certain things to illustrate the point you are seeking to make but I don't see how someone taking 10 pictures of themselves with a reader helps the research study. It would seem that a better method for this particular study would be a series of carefully crafted questions that the participants answer.

I was simply passing on what I know about photo-elicitation methodologies in social sciences - I'm not connected with the study. You can find more information about the methodology at this link (http://www.nyu.edu/classes/bkg/methods/harper.pdf) if you want.

Tamara
03-27-2010, 03:16 PM
I was simply passing on what I know about photo-elicitation methodologies in social sciences - I'm not connected with the study. You can find more information about the methodology at this link (http://www.nyu.edu/classes/bkg/methods/harper.pdf) if you want.

I have a degree in sociology. I'm familiar with the methodology.

LDBoblo
03-27-2010, 03:37 PM
I always wondered what I should do with that snap of me on the toilet with my Sony!

Bilbo1967
03-27-2010, 03:39 PM
I always wondered what I should do with that snap of me on the toilet with my Sony!

And I read my Sony a lot in the bath :)

Perhaps they'll get more than they bargained for?

LDBoblo
03-27-2010, 03:44 PM
And I read my Sony a lot in the bath :)

Perhaps they'll get more than they bargained for?

Kama Sutra is apparently one of the most pirated ebooks, and one of the most popular downloaded books on Project Gutenberg. Just sayin'. :bookworm:

Fat Abe
03-27-2010, 04:10 PM

I have an amateur detective license, obtained from a correspondence school that advertised on a matchbook cover. So there. What would the survey team learn from my photo? That Fat Abe is really fat, or that he is a liar, and really skinny? Or is Fats a Martian? I even lie on the Census! Anyway, my library is huge, bigger than the one that used to exist in Alexandria. The location is secret and will remain secret, lest it be burned down by the Fahrenheit 451 squad.

TGS
03-27-2010, 04:20 PM

Odd then that you don't know how "someone taking 10 pictures of themselves with a reader helps the research study." Self-recording by participants is usual is this methodology.

Tamara
03-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Odd then that you don't know how "someone taking 10 pictures of themselves with a reader helps the research study." Self-recording by participants is usual is this methodology.

Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me but then the OP was kind of skimpy with the details of why they want 10 pics. Do they want to see the person with the reader at Panera, in the tub, on the bus, in bed, etc? I just don't see the relevance of pictures when questions would make more sense unless the pictures are just a way of padding the thesis.

TGS
03-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me but then the OP was kind of skimpy with the details of why they want 10 pics. Do they want to see the person with the reader at Panera, in the tub, on the bus, in bed, etc? I just don't see the relevance of pictures when questions would make more sense unless the pictures are just a way of padding the thesis.

Photo-elicitation is a methodology in which study participants make photographs of themselves engaged in the activity that is the subject of the study. These photographs then provide the basis on which the researchers construct structured questions. The thinking is I guess that the photographs that the participants provide will be in part based on the salience of particular situations for the participants. So, if I send in photographs that show me using my ereader on a bus, in a library, in a coffee bar, at home, in the office, that might lead to the researchers to ask me about whether I'm reading the same kind of material in all these places, what kind of material that is, how many hours a day to I spend reading off my ereader compared to other forms of reading, if I use it for both leisure and work what proportion of time and what amounts of time do I use it for each...and so on. Obviously, I've no real idea what questions they will ask because I don't know what they are actually trying to find out.

What I don't understand is why people on the forum respond to a student making a request like this by ridiculing it and making brainless responses (this bit isn't really directed at you Tamara). If you don't understand the point of something this might be a deficit in your understanding and not necessarily something wrong with the idea. If you don't understand it there's an email address of one of the students, so you could contact them, or send them a PM, you don't need to engage in nasty minded piss taking (Leboblo and Bilbo). If you don't want to get involved with the study that's fine, but don't use the fact that you have been invited as an excuse for some wank-brained ranting (Fat Abe).

Fat Abe
03-28-2010, 05:12 AM
TGS: Tsk, tsk. Some stranger posts a request on this board and asks the subjects to take photos or have photos taken of themselves. I joke about it and you presume to call me an idiot? I value my privacy, unlike some members of Generation eXhibitionist, who obviously do not.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20000336-38.html?tag=mncol;mlt_related

Next thing they'll ask you are invasive questions such as- what's your political leaning? or when did you last violate your country's copyright laws? Let's stick to words only, and keep surveys as neutral and anonymous as possible. You want to see pictures, visit crap sites like www.i***shot***myself.com.

TGS
03-28-2010, 05:28 AM
I joke about it and you presume to call me an idiot? I value my privacy, unlike some members of Generation eXhibitionist, who obviously do not.

I thought the defining characteristic of a joke was that it is funny

You basically misunderstood the nature of the request that the student was making and on the basis of that misunderstanding went off on one. But you were happy to do that because it allowed you to have a rant about something that has got nothing to do with the original posting. Had you been interested in what the post was actually about you could have followed up the link that the OP gave, could have found out about the method they were using, and then decided whether or not you wanted to take part. Or you could just have ignored the original posting. But what you did instead was put some uncalled for nonsense into the world based entirely on your original misunderstanding - why would you want to do that?

Fat Abe
03-28-2010, 05:46 AM
Danes have no sense of humor. Proof: Hamlet. I abhor survey methodology that is invasive. Is that too difficult for you to understand?

TGS
03-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Danes have no sense of humor. Proof: Hamlet. I abhor survey methodology that is invasive. Is that too difficult for you to understand?

I'm not a Dane - but the ones I know have a very rich sense of humour - different from yours in that they laugh at and say things that are funny.
Survey methods are designed to find things out by subjects telling the researchers things they don't already know and are not public knowledge. In that sense all survey methodologies are "invasive" if you want to see them that way. That you don't want to take part in surveys is not too difficult to understand - I have no problem with that at all. That you persist in talking crap is a bit more difficult for me to understand.

LDBoblo
03-28-2010, 07:35 AM
It would be good to avoid direct attacks on one another. It's much better if the thread is dedicated to genuine responses to the original poster or general ridicule and discussion related thereto. :bookworm:

TGS
03-28-2010, 07:38 AM
It would be good to avoid direct attacks on one another. It's much better if the thread is dedicated to genuine responses to the original poster or general ridicule and discussion related thereto. :bookworm:

Why is it OK to ridicule the OP but not OK to ridicule the ridiculous responses to it?

delphidb96
03-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Why is it OK to ridicule the OP but not OK to ridicule the ridiculous responses to it?

You betcha! And it's especially funny if you can work in a side joke about Moose hunting in Alaska! :D

Actually, I think the OP forgot that we're especially touchy here in the US over identity theft and the like - and we, nowadays, tend to wonder just what the heck someone might do with 5-10 photos of ourselves. Not that *I* think the OP had such intentions, just that there's a sort of mass hysteria over here concerning these issues.

Derek

TGS
03-29-2010, 04:17 AM
Not that *I* think the OP had such intentions, just that there's a sort of mass hysteria over here concerning these issues.
Derek

And the rest of us should be victims of "your" mass hysteria? (Mmm, on reflection, of course, we often are :D)

cbarnett
03-29-2010, 07:35 PM

Actually, it's not okay to ridicule anybody (see the terms of use).

And two wrongs don't make a right as my old gran used to say, ALL THE TIME... :rolleyes:

jjansen
03-29-2010, 08:04 PM
I'll just add my two cents from Canada. When I saw the subject line I thought that I might participate. I just got a new ereader last week, gave my mum my old one and bought my husband one in January. We all use them slightly differently in our house. The moment I saw the request for photos I mentally jumped right back. I don't mind answering questions and explaining my usage but no-one needs photos of myself, or my husband or my mother. This isn't a beauty contest...........Jackie

cbarnett
03-29-2010, 08:09 PM
I'll just add my two cents from Canada. When I saw the subject line I thought that I might participate. I just got a new ereader last week, gave my mum my old one and bought my husband one in January. We all use them slightly differently in our house. The moment I saw the request for photos I mentally jumped right back. I don't mind answering questions and explaining my usage but no-one needs photos of myself, or my husband or my mother. This isn't a beauty contest...........Jackie

I have to admit, I felt the same way. I'm happy to answer and complete surveys and do it regularly, but this requirement was the killer here.

Soldim
03-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Kama Sutra is apparently one of the most pirated ebooks,

How can you pirate something that's in the public domain all over the world?

Hamlet53
03-31-2010, 08:52 AM

Hey now, I think I have as much of a sense of humor as the next guy. :) Of course I am only a pretend Hamlet.

I have to admit that I have never heard of this method of research. I have to wonder how valid results can be with the subjects aware that they are being photographed. There is a rule in an area of science I am more familiar with (research in 'hard' science; specifically chemistry) that the very act of measuring a property of a system effects that system. The method proposed here seems especially intrusive in that sense.

I also would not be comfortable with sending off photographs of myself either. There's a reason I use a fake screen name and an avatar instead of my real name and photograph, even on a presumably benign group like this.

Cyberman tM
03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
What I don't understand is why people on the forum respond to a student making a request like this by ridiculing it
Probably because to anyone who isn't learned in these fields it IS a ridiculous request.
It is like asking me about my dietary preferences and requesting a copy of my local train schedule.

We're on the internet here - it isn't too farfetched to assume that someone is making a weird request just for the sake of it.

I still don't see the relevance of pictures.
Or how I'm supposed to take a picture of myself while reading. (Unless you mean a picture where see at best me minus one arm, which again should make the picture rather useless. Or is it assume that I have my personal photographer? :-)

Where is the difference between telling them "I usually read on my way to work, in train and subway" to me somehow taking a picture while doing so?
Is my word not credible? Then the picture is even less so, it can be staged without problem.

Kevin2960
03-31-2010, 09:52 AM
1st of April tomorrow RIGHT ???

TGS
03-31-2010, 10:29 AM
There's a reason I use a fake screen name and an avatar instead of my real name and photograph, even on a presumably benign group like this.

You mean that's not really you!!!?

LDBoblo
03-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Not really pirated (hence the "apparently"), but yeah:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55339

Didn't mean to suggest it is a commercial publication (though there are plenty of commercial versions, even on DVD) :bookworm:

Elfwreck
03-31-2010, 01:23 PM

By wearing a headscarf and saying "arrr" and "avast" while you download it?

Vienna01
04-01-2010, 02:25 AM
deleted, wrong thread

TGS
04-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Probably because to anyone who isn't learned in these fields it IS a ridiculous request.
It is like asking me about my dietary preferences and requesting a copy of my local train schedule.

Until I saw the request I was clueless about the research methodology, so I asked the OP about it. They gave me a bit of info, which I followed up. Now I know a bit more than I did - and so the request doesn't appear as ridiculous to me. Though I do think the OP could have done more to explain what they were talking about. As you say, (well, actually you don't, but it's implied by what you say), given what you know about the research methodology, the request appears ridiculous. But that's as much to do with what you know about the the methodology as it is to do with something intrinsically ridiculous about the request.

We're on the internet here - it isn't too farfetched to assume that someone is making a weird request just for the sake of it.

Well, there's a choice I guess - assume that something I don't understand is in some way suspect and respond accordingly, or assume that it's in good faith. Maybe we just disagree about what it is reasonable to assume.
My other point was that if what you assume is that the request is suspect then you have the choice to just ignore it - there is no necessity to ridicule the OP.

I still don't see the relevance of pictures.
Or how I'm supposed to take a picture of myself while reading. (Unless you mean a picture where see at best me minus one arm, which again should make the picture rather useless. Or is it assume that I have my personal photographer? :-)

Where is the difference between telling them "I usually read on my way to work, in train and subway" to me somehow taking a picture while doing so?
Is my word not credible? Then the picture is even less so, it can be staged without problem.

There was an email on the OP. Anyone could have asked these questions of the student making the request.

Cyberman tM
04-01-2010, 12:09 PM
But that's as much to do with what you know about the the methodology as it is to do with something intrinsically ridiculous about the request.
Certainly.
However, I think the debt lies within the writer, not the reader. After all, he wants something from us, so it is his duty to provide enough information to convince us.
(Generally speaking, not just this thread.)

Well, there's a choice I guess - assume that something I don't understand is in some way suspect and respond accordingly, or assume that it's in good faith. Maybe we just disagree about what it is reasonable to assume.
Quite likely - see your point above - what seems ridiculous to one may seem normal to another.
It also depends on what kind of forum you're used to. On some you could have philosophical discussions on the color of blue, others'll roast you alive for saying the sky is gray today.

My other point was that if what you assume is that the request is suspect then you have the choice to just ignore it - there is no necessity to ridicule the OP.
I certainly agree with that. But I can also understand those who do. I'd have clicked the topic away and mostly ignored it, but I wanted to answer to your post.

There was an email on the OP. Anyone could have asked these questions of the student making the request.
To do that, there would have to be a spark of interest. One doesn't have to be interested in something to make fun of it.