View Full Version : Enso zenPad MID $155

pilotbob
03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Ok,

Who will be the first one to buy this Andriod based 5inch Mobile Internet Device and review it as an eBook reader?

It has a 5inch 800x480 touch screen. 1GB of internal memory and miniSD slot that it appears comes populated with an 8GB card.

Audio formats supported: MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG
Video formats supported: MP4, AVI, WMV, DIVX
Up to 6 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

I assume this thing will run Alkido.

The price seems to good to be true. $155 or $180 if you want the GPS enabled unit.

And it is supposed to be shipping now.

http://enso-now.com/n/index.php

BOb

Katelyn
03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Looks interesting. I'm rather curious in what they might have coming soon based their About Us page, "More products will be available in the immediate future, like a 7 and 10 inches e-ink, Android based, e-book reader, a MID running Android 2.0 with embedded 3G phone. And much more of course."

Anyone have much experience with reading software for Android? The video shows Aldiko - looked very nice. Unfortunately, it's only 3 hr battery life according to the video which is useless for an ereader. :(

I also like their philosophy.

- - - - - - -- -

What the heck. I just returned my OpenBook so I went for it. If I don't like it, I'll return it since they have a 10-day, no questions asked return policy. I liked the video Charbax did.

Return Policy

You can return your device within 10 days of receiving it, we will refund the full amount at your wish if you are not happy with it, or for any reason. No questions asked. You just have to send it back to us and we will check if it is in good working order. Promptly drop us an email at returns@enso-now.com as a first step.

pilotbob
03-22-2010, 05:11 PM
What the heck. I just returned my OpenBook so I went for it. If I don't like it, I'll return it since they have a 10-day, no questions asked return policy. I liked the video Charbax did.

Cool... can't wait to read your first impressions and review.

BOb

ColdSun
03-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Whoa, sorry for the duplicate thread. Anyhow, this does look almost too good to be true. I'm interested in how it turns out. I might order the non-GPS version as I don't need that. I like Aldiko and FBReader on Android when viewed on my son's Archos 5IT, which should be about the same experience here. The only thing holding me back is the Archos 7 Home Tablet at $179. Still, my guess is the A7HT won't have Google Market and Mobile TV. I wonder what type of screen it has?

EDIT: 3 hour battery life? The ebay auction says 6 while listening to music and surfing the web. It has a 2000mAh battery. If it truly is only 3 hours that would be a no-go for sure.

imaredr
03-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Katelyn,

When do you think you'll have it? Sounds like a fun device. Ereader, Word-Player, and Wattpad are also available.

Ellen

Katelyn
03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Katelyn,

When do you think you'll have it? Sounds like a fun device. Ereader, Word-Player, and Wattpad are also available.

Ellen
Per their Website -

Shipping & Delivery - Worldwide

- Worldwide shipping for only 25 USD
- EMS China courier, very reliable, insurance included.
- Packages are traceable online.
- Delivery time under 10 days

No tracking number yet. I should have it around April 1st or 2nd maybe? :)

Highroller
03-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Well vast majority of what I read is in html format. Won't need a reader program. If you can surf the web then you can read an html file unless its truly borked. I will be interested in a review of this one for sure. the delstar is 99.99% chance of getting returned...

AyXa
03-25-2010, 07:48 AM
They have stopped taking orders from web site.

Katelyn
03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
They have stopped taking orders from web site.
The site is taking orders again.

Highroller
03-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Well this time I am gonna wait and get a few reviews. the delstar is too fresh in my mind to jump in again :o( This one sounds good but then so did the delstar openbook :o(

ripxrip
03-26-2010, 05:43 PM
I can't wait for Katelyn's review. This sounds like a perfect e-reader/kitchensink device, but I feel like it's got to be one of those "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" type of things. If it does what it claims, the price is perfect for me and I'll be grabbing one.

Highroller
04-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Still haven't gotten it Kateyln?

Katelyn
04-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Here is an email I received yesterday. I hope it isn't too long a delay /cry

Dear valued customer,

We did receive your order and payment.*

Due to our huge and sudden success, our facilities have a hard time to keep up with demand and shipping delays are taking longer than expected. Be assured that we have your best interests at heart and that we are making all our possible to ship as fast as possible. You will receive an e-mail notice as soon as your order is shipped.*

Thank you for your patience.

--
Customer Care,
info@enso-now.com

imaredr
04-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Wow Katelyn,

So are you going to wait or cancel?

Ellen

Katelyn
04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm going to wait a little longer. Their site said it would take 10 days and they mean business days based on what I read. It's been 10 business days today and they're been good about replying to emails.

Highroller
04-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I will keep my fingers crossed for you Katelyn :o)

pilotbob
04-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Same here. If you have good luck with this I am probably going to get one.

BOb

Dellaster
04-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Here is an email I received yesterday. I hope it isn't too long a delay /cry

I can sympathize with you, Katelyn, since I also have a zenPad on order. Though it's only been five business days for me (March 31st). I've been hoping for news from you that yours has shipped to ease my mind.

Enso now has this in their FAQ: "IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to our huge and sudden success, our facilities have a hard time to keep up with demand and shipping delays are longer than usual. Be advised that the current average wait time for shipping is 15-23 days." Oddly it's under Tax & Tariff instead of the shipping time section (honest goof?), which still reads: "Our Shenzhen warehouse will process your device within 4 days of receiving the order, and it will be shipped within 3 additional working days. This means your device will be shipped within 7 working days."

A Google search for anyone receiving notice of shipment comes up empty (I used many different search terms). And clearly nobody has one in their hands yet. This makes me nervous.

I don't recommend anyone order the zenPad until somebody who's word is trustworthy says they have one in their hands. Hopefully that'll be Katelyn real soon now.

Highroller
04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Yup, I have a nasty suspicion they opened orders early and then hit some kind of snag...hopefully not a BIG snag...

I mean its not like it takes long to put an address label on a box and add it to a pile to go out...so success only means a delay to me if they don't have product... and even then unless they took orders before they had ANY product ready some should have shipped and someone should have posted a review...

Dellaster
04-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I mean its not like it takes long to put an address label on a box and add it to a pile to go out...

Right. And even if the demand exceeds expectations, as they claim, there's no reason why they couldn't fulfill the amount they did expect and backorder the rest. Say they anticipated 100 immediate orders and got 500. Why not ship those first 100 instead of holding off on all shipping until they can meet demand? It doesn't make sense not to prioritize by order date and get some out ... unless they don't have any to send.

/sigh

Edit: Another curious thing is my order number. It's a "1" followed by a bunch of zeros ending in "8". Order number eight? A week or so after the order page activated?! What is/are the last non-zero digit(s) of your order number, Katelyn?

saltek
04-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi,

Just to share my "ZenPad" experience:

I ordered the ZenPad on 3/23/10, and the money was immediately deducted from my PayPal account. I hadn't heard from them with any specifics, so I emailed them on 3/28 for some idea about shipping dates. I got this response on 3/29:

Hello,

Your zenPad will be shipped out within 10 days, we are working for speed up the shipping process and avoid any delay.
As soon as your zenPad is shipped out, we will email you a tracking number, to track your package.

Thank you for asking!

Regards,
Maurizio
Enso-now

I haven't been able to logon to the site lately because they claim they are "updating." Let's see what happens. :rolleyes:

Steve

Katelyn
04-08-2010, 04:01 PM
I haven't been able to logon to the site lately because they claim they are "updating." Let's see what happens. Yep, their site has indeed been updated.

OK, here is the deal with zenPad. I was pretty pissed that I'm still waiting and I emailed them quite a few times. This morning, I got several emails from them taking full responsibility for the delay. I was given the link to their blog and was offered a refund if I don't want to wait for the new ship date - May 8th.

It sounds like they had all their funds held by PayPal which explains why their Ebay account was closed. They were lucky enough to get HUGE press and unlucky enough to not be prepared along with having all their income locked so they have no cashflow.

You know what? I'm willing to believe them and wait. Hell, I've been waiting for the Pocketbook 602 for months and months :) If you do want a refund, I think you can get it pretty easily. The emails I got were very apologetic and promised to live up to their word.

From their blog:
Enso's Real Story 4/8/10 11:44 AM

This is Alberto Armandi, founder of Enso, a startup specialized in high quality devices running opensource software such as Linux and Android.

First of all I want to personally apologize with our customers, especially those who placed orders before March 30 and still did not get their devices. There are many reasons behind what happened and wish to clarify them here.

In order of importance, the unrequested and sudden coverage from Engadget.com, one of the most influential technology blogs on the web nowadays with an average of 3 millions visitors daily.

As a first step, our website went down following their article about the Zenpad and its 155 USD price tag.

We were not ready to sustain that kind of traffic, and our infrastructure was near to collapse.

We took action, upgraded our server hardware, doubled bandwidth and deployed a caching system for every database operation. This took time and money but we finally succeded and our website was up and running again in a couple of hours.

Despite this outage, our Ebay store received literally hundred of orders.

This triggered a reaction from Ebay and Paypal, our payment processor, they both decided to block our accounts, since they are affiliated. All of this because we received too much money, in a very short time span.

We tried to explain them the reason behind the sales spike, but they instead asked us to provide a tracking number for every order received.

They did not listen to us when we said that we were only a small startup, and we needed the cash to cover manufacturing costs and start shipping. This represented a big problem for us as we were receiving tons of orders but had no real cash flow.

We were running completely on our limited financial abilites. So we took action and travelled back to Italy to seek investments and fill the order as soon as possible. A local bank just granted us a small loan that is enough to cover our travel expenses and fill the first order batch.

The funds will be available to us within the next few days. We never intended to scam anybody, blame Paypal and Ebay for this delay only, because they literally frozen our funds with no tangible reason.

We were not able to place an order within the expected timeframe because of this. Also, with a limited Paypal account there is no way to refund anybody, but Paypal keeps the transaction fees in the bank despite that money should go to our customers who requested it back. Note that this only applies to customers who paid prior March 30.

In the meantime we did complete the porting of Androind 2.1 "Eclair" for the Zenpad, so all the devices will be shipped with this version instead of the old Android 1.6 "Donut". The firmware will be available on our website and all our customers will have access to their private area for downloading operating manuals and documentation.

We sincerely apologize for the long waiting time. Shippings will start within May 8, 2010.

Thanks for your immense patience.

Alberto Armandi

Enso's zenPad launch was an overwhelming success ! 3/31/10 7:13 PM

Enso's team is happy to announce that the zenPad launch was an overwhelming success. Thousands of devices were ordered, barely a few weeks following its arrival on the market. Needless to say that the powerful device drew many supporters due to its appealing price and unpreceded quality/price ratio. We received tons of requests from technology press stating their intention to try and review the zenPad and also received noteworthy enthusiasm from Android's developer community: some application developers are even looking forward to tailor their software's user experience expressely for the zenPad.

That being said, Enso was also victim of its own sudden success. Indeed, the zenPad drew so much enthusiasm that our manufacturing and shipping facilities have a hard time to keep up with demand. Shipping times are longer than expected and sadly, we won't be able to ship most orders before May 08.

In order to compensate for those shipping delays, Enso is happy to announce that we will offer a free upgrade to Android 2.1 to all customers. Needless to say that customers who are not willing to wait any longer can request a refund at any time.

We sincerely apologize to all customers for those unexpected delays. Be assured that we have your interests at heart and that we are actively working on scaling our infrastructure in order to better serve you.

Dellaster
04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
You know what? I'm willing to believe them and wait.

Me too, I guess. That latest blog entry sounds sincere and plausable. Thanks for posting it.

pilotbob
04-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Me too, I guess. That latest blog entry sounds sincere and plausable. Thanks for posting it.

I know PayPal has been a bit touchy is the past. But, they usually don't suspend accounts unless there are complaints.

Bad PayPal (if it is true).

BOb

Dellaster
04-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Shipping in 29 Days, 20 Hours, 06 Minutes, 40 Seconds

... is what it's saying now in the countdown at the top-right of their website.

ColdSun
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Paypal and eBay can be a pain, as their automated systems do indeed do this and their level 1 support is next to worthless. It isn't so bad for buyers, but sellers can really have issues with it.

saltek
04-08-2010, 08:40 PM
As cynical as I am, I agree it is a plausible account of what may have happened. I paid on 3/23 and am willing to wait. It will be a fun surprise when it arrives. (!?!) I just hope it's worth the wait! It gives us time to do finger exercises in preparation.

Good luck to us all.

ripxrip
04-09-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm also incredibly cynical, but have to give them credit. As an excuse it's very plausible. As to what Highroller said, I'd say he was pretty much on the mark. Sounds like they did not have any stock on hand, just a guaranteed supply of hardware devices that they would be installing Android on and reselling. Then due to the ebay/paypal freeze, they could not actually pay for the hardware to fulfill their orders in a timely manner.

Plausible? Oh yeah... almost this exact same thing happened to an "entrepreneur" friend of mine. He actually had the manufacturer change his cost on him after he'd taken orders and he ended up selling over 2000 "items" and lost money in the end due to overhead costs. Needless to say he learned the hard way about not having a set in stone contract with no room for extra "fees" to be added on after you're in business. Which he wasn't for very long, much to the upset of his happy customers.

Anyway, I'm dying over here waiting for SOMEONE to actually receive the item and give us pictures/video and/or a review. Hell I don't even care if the damn thing is slow and has a semi-unresponsive screen, as long as it's not buggy as hell and has decent battery life with the back light on low and wifi disabled. I want a new back-lit multi-format ebook reader at a decent price!!

ripxrip

Highroller
04-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Ok, thats one I hadn't heard before but from experiences my deceased wife had with paypal I find it VERY believable. She ordered a laptop from dell. Dell canceled her order. Then against her wishes, since she had since bought a laptop retail, Dell redid her order after she had TOLD them she didn't want it redone. Paypal drafted the money for this unwanted order out of her bank account. Her bank got it back. They drafted it again. Bank got it back. This went on until she finally had to close the bank account. Just to complete the nightmare, Dell shipped it. So someone somewhere has a Dell laptop. It never came to us...But paypal was NEVER on the customers side in this story.

So yes I can really believe them getting screwed by paypal. So I guess in a way they were a victim of their success ie the number of orders is why paypal froze their account.

pilotbob
04-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Did anyone see this post from Engadget today?

Enso's zePad is vaporware:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/ensos-zenpad-is-vaporware-get-refunds-while-they-last/

BOb

Dellaster
04-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Did anyone see this post from Engadget today?

Enso's zePad is vaporware:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/ensos-zenpad-is-vaporware-get-refunds-while-they-last/

BOb

Ah, geez, that's too much. I put in for a refund. Even if they somehow deliver units in a month I really have a problem with the ethics of selling something that doesn't yet exist, without telling the customer that. :P

Thank you, pilotbob, for the heads up.

Katelyn
04-09-2010, 12:07 PM
DAMN IT! I was so hoping this was going to finally pan out. I read it this morning too. On my way to paypal now... /grumble

saltek
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Okay, so I'd rather not take the chance of wasting $205.00. (For that matter, it could essentially reduce the cost of a iPad to $294.00, vs. losing the money completely and actually buying the cheapest @ $499.00) So, I opened up a refund request in PayPal, and when I clicked to proceed, it immediately indicated:

"Your seller is currently unable to respond to this dispute. By escalating your dispute to a claim, you are asking PayPal to review the case and decide the outcome.

PayPal will review the transaction details and may contact you for additional information. We will make every effort to resolve this claim within 30 days.

PayPal will review your communication with the seller and may contact you for additional information. We'll make every effort to reach a decision within 30 days.

If this claim is decided in your favor, PayPal will make every effort to recover funds from the seller. We will investigate this matter fairly and, if you win, recover whatever funds we can"
So, they have my cash taken from checking account via PPal. I suspect it should turn out okay. When it asked why I "escalated" the claim, (which, of course, I was given no choice,) I chose the "reason to believe is fraudulent," because that's what I now believe.

Thanks for the engadget heads up. If they end up shipping some day, then I'll get one on eBay or get something else.

Good luck all,
Steve

PS The funny thing is I NEVER, EVER do what I did here with the so-called ZPad. I actually did it on the strength of the engadget article in the FIRST place!!
First and LAST time. :angry:

Katelyn
04-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I emailed Enso directly asking for a refund based on the email below. Then I have ammunition if I have to get Paypal involved. I'll go to Paypal if I don't get a response by early next week.

On Apr 8, 2010, at 10:59 AM, "Customer Care" <info@enso-now.com> wrote:
As stated in our blog post, your order will be shipped on May 08. We understand that we already pushed your patience and if you wish for a refund, let us know and we will proceed promptly.

saltek
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Katelyn, the more simple it seems, the more confusing it is.
I can't get a refund because of his limited PayPal account when I ordered. Now, I'm wondering if I should contact him, as you did, and keep my PPal dispute in force, or contact him for a refund and then rescind the dispute!?!?...The more you read, the more difficult it becomes. This story would make an interesting eBook to read on some sort of tablet. :)

Funny, I bought a Clarionmind and considering processor, gorgeous screen and expansion, etc. it has the makings of an interesting touch screen Linux or Android device. Maybe I'll jst investigate hacking it and be done with this all.
Later

pilotbob
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
On Apr 8, 2010, at 10:59 AM, "Customer Care" <info@enso-now.com> wrote:
As stated in our blog post, your order will be shipped on May 08. We understand that we already pushed your patience and if you wish for a refund, let us know and we will proceed promptly.

What I don't understand is if PayPal froze their account how are they going to make refunds?

BOb

Highroller
04-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Oh well unfortunately it looks like my guesswork was correct assuming engadget has their act together this time...I see no reason for the company Enso was supposed to be buying from to lie though...Try to get your refunds fast guys and girls...

Dellaster
04-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Try to get your refunds fast guys and girls...

If it's really as bad as it now looks, nobody is getting a refund. I'm in the process of resigning myself to the loss.

saltek
04-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, let's put it this way, if they really have run into problems, and they're operating in good faith as they attest, (they still claim they will refund or ship the product,) then that would be great. However, I, as you, believe it's not happening. So, I have already resigned myself to the possibility (fact?) that I have lost $205.00. If in a month or 2 I have a ZenPad or a $294.00 iPad, then that would be a pleasant surprise!

Once again, good luck to us all.

ripxrip
04-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Well shitake! I guess it's one of those "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" deals. I really wanted the zenpad to be my next e-reader.

I'm going to go cry in a corner now....and insanely hold out hope that by the end of the month I read about a zenpad arriving and being reviewed.

Enso's latest blog post promises to get Engadget.com a review unit within 15 days.
http://www.enso-now.com/blog/engadget2/

pilotbob
04-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Well.. engadget is reporting that they are actually shipping these things.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/27/ensos-zenpad-finds-the-funds-to-become-reality/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fengadget+%28Enga dget%29

BOb

Katelyn
04-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Well.. engadget is reporting that they are actually shipping these things.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/27/ensos-zenpad-finds-the-funds-to-become-reality/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fengadget+%28Enga dget%29

BObI emailed them today and got a very quick response saying my zenpad will ship in May 8th. They also appear to have no idea what Engadget is talking about when they say in the article "...30 scheduled to ship on May 8th...".

I'll know in 9 days, 21 hours and 28 minutes!

Katelyn
05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Am I the only one who decided to hang tight and see if my zenpad ships?

Countdown: 1 day 18 hours 21 minutes 41 seconds...

pilotbob
05-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Am I the only one who decided to hang tight and see if my zenpad ships?

Countdown: 1 day 18 hours 21 minutes 41 seconds...

No, I'm hanging tight to see if your zenPad ships too.

BOb

Katelyn
05-06-2010, 09:01 PM
No, I'm hanging tight to see if your zenPad ships too.

BOb :rofl: I guess I did word that rather awkwardly, didn't I. I meant ... and see if the zenpad ships?

And it's now countdown: 1 day 12 hours 59 minutes 11 seconds.

Dellaster
05-07-2010, 05:00 AM
:rofl: I guess I did word that rather awkwardly, didn't I. I meant ... and see if the zenpad ships?

PayPal got my money back for me so it's just out of curiosity. Engadget never got the review unit promised, just a copy of an invoice they didn't verify with SMiT. So will I believe it if they claim to be shipping (again)? Not until someone like Katelyn reports having one in their hands.

I hope that happens. Good luck!

jalandar
05-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I finally went ahead and filed a paypal complaint. Was hoping it would come through they would make good on it, after all, their story sounded...plausible, even if improbable.

For $14 more the Android 7 8GB Home Tablet is more exciting for me anyway, and is actually shipping in 1 week to pre-orders at Amazon.

Highroller
05-17-2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39169

Looks like it might be worth a look. From the number of posts I am pretty sure it at least exists and the price is nice.

Katelyn
05-17-2010, 11:24 AM
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39169

Looks like it might be worth a look. From the number of posts I am pretty sure it at least exists and the price is nice.I have one and it's sitting in a drawer.

1) My USB port is finicky- I had to try 4 cables to find one that didn't fall out

2) The charging port is finicky. I have to keep checking to be sure it's actually charging. If not, I have to rotate the plug a little and it will start charging again

(I did read one other post from someone with problems 1 and 2 on his device as well. Don't know if it's a general problem with these devices or if it's the luck of the draw)

3) You can't charge the device using the USB port

4) The biggest issue I have (now that the programs aren't all upside down with the firmware update) is that the quality of the text in Aldiko (my preferred reading program) is horrible. I just don't think a 7" device with screen resolution of 800 x 480 is going to cut it

These are my own opinions and I know there are others who have the device and think it's just great for the price. Mine is for sale - if anyone is interested PM me. I'll let it go very cheap. Otherwise, it's going to gather dust.

BTW - My zenpad (yes, I'm still holding out for one :p) is supposed to ship tomorrow or so they say. I do think it will get shipped soon and they are now including all sorts of accessories (http://chinable.net/?p=107) to make up for the stupid delay and poor roll out of the device. I look forward to try reading on a 5" device - hopefully this will be the one (backlit device) for me. I'm waiting for the Pocketbook 302 with matte screen then that will be my primary reader.

Katelyn
05-25-2010, 01:03 PM
It appears to be unofficially official that the zenpad is indeed a fraud. I've asked Paypal for a refund and others should do the same.

I contacted Sean Hollister at Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/25/no-we-didnt-get-a-enso-zenpad/) yesterday and today he posted part of the email I received from Enso on May 12th. Since that time, Enso hasn't replied to any of my emails and now their Website is down - either due to heavy traffic or they are hightailing it out of Dodge.

My mission was to let as many Websites as possible know about the fraud but seems Engadget is doing the work for me. You know what they say, Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Do I regret letting my order stand and waiting to see what happened? Naw, life is too short for that. Besides, I suspect Mr. Alberto Armandi will get his comeuppance along the way.

Dellaster
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
It appears to be unofficially official that the zenpad is indeed a fraud. I've asked Paypal for a refund and others should do the same.

It's a shame it didn't somehow turn out okay in the end. I hope you get your money back.

tgeek
06-01-2010, 09:48 AM
It appears that Engadget FINALLY received the Zenpad for review. To say they were a bit harsh would be putting it too lightly. I hope you get your money back. My fingers are still crossed for the Notion Ink Adam.

Katelyn
06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Yea, I have been banging a big drum anywhere I can about this fraud. He's now saying the zenpad will ship in 10 days. I just have to laugh. Here is my post in the Engadget forums today:

Alberto, I'm still waiting for any reply to my plethora of emails to you. You have no shame. What's hysterical is you are still trying to blame the delay on the factory.

The zenpad has NOTHING added and has only the stock Android 1.5 OS. If the order had really been placed, the units would have been shipped to Enso from the factory within weeks, not months. See the manufacturer's site - delivery lead time - 2 weeks. http://www.hktdc.com/sourcing/products/en/6/1X00G5UR/Shenzhen_State_Micro_Technology_Co_Ltd/750444/Mobile_Internet_Device.html

Also, gotta love Alberto's last line in his blog, "We appreciate that not everybody thinks we are a scam." Oh yea, who? Show me one email, blog, post, anything that indicates you have even one supporter. I think you're delusional. Just send me my zenpad.

From the blog at Enso-now.com

Personally, i would have loved if just Engadget used less harsh tones, but well, you know what happened. Anyhows I do think that their review is a little biased, because of all the troubles we caused to them. Let me say what i think : First of all the screen is usable, it just needs to be calibrated, and there is an installed app for that.
Buttons layout is not casually spitted out, I use the device daily and it just has a steeper learning curve, but once you get used to it, it just feels good and quite confortable. Going ahead, the digital compass ability is via GPS only, and there are apps for that in the official Android Market. The Android market itself is included, works and installs applications correctly. There are applications to open any video format, including flash and AVIs. Regarding the Android version, it was our mistake to mention version 1.6 on our website. We have achieved a porting of a newer android version but it is not stable yet. We will release it in the next weeks, after shippings have started. The procedure for upgrading will be simple and clearly explained. This will solve the minor quirks that Engadget mentioned about playing videos.
There have been additional delays regarding the manufacturing process but everything is solved and delivery is set for the next 10 days; the same day we will receive the goods, a tracking number will be sent to each customer. There will be no more waiting. Please apologize for lack of communication, we hope you can understand we want to provide you a final delivery date. Anyway thanks Engadget for regarding us as a real company and for their hands-on and unboxing.

We appreciate that not everybody thinks we are a scam.

Posted in Announcements By Alberto Armandi

Dellaster
06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Anyway thanks Engadget for regarding us as a real company and for their hands-on and unboxing.

We appreciate that not everybody thinks we are a scam.

So Engadget received and reviewed (http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/31/enso-zenpad-unboxing-and-hands-on-one-disappointment-after-anot/) a SMiT MID-560A (it even still has the SMiT logo on the front). In what way does this imply "not a scam"? How hard is it for a company based in China to get a single unit made in China and send it off?

There have been too many contradictory statements and broken promises (lies) in past 2.5 months since they claimed the zenPad was shipping. So now it's another ten days and, oh so sorry, they made a slight boo-boo in stating all along that it has Android 1.6? Really?!

Is it reasonable to believe anything this guy says at this point?

Katelyn
06-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Gotta give this guy props for keeping us entertained. I am in awe of his self-aggrandizement
(self-ag·gran·dize·ment (sĕlfˌə-grănˈdĭz-mənt)
noun
The act or practice of enhancing or exaggerating one's own importance, power, or reputation.)

From his latest blog -
---------------------
6/2/10 2:29 PM
This will probably be our next product
We know that it's not time to come out with new products, given the delays and mess we created.
But we think and hope that at this point, all of you understood that this is not a scam, and we are a real company.
If you never did business with Chinese companies, you won't know how hard it is.
Sometimes it can get very ugly, with long time delaying and various difficulties, apart those who stormed us since the start.
Like Engadget sudden first review and the hundreds of angry customers who ordered and are still waiting.
We did not manage to offer refunds because Paypal, once again, limited our accounts, and that means we cannot issue refunds. If you don't believe this, just ask them.
But we will finally be able to ship imminently, that means probably we will start next week.
The whole process should completed in just a few days.

Many reviews will be available on web soon, so don't stick just with engadget's point of view, i think you will like your zenpad.
So please stop asking refunds and send crazy emails, we won't be replyin' to everybody and repeating that there is a delay.
Once we will able to ship you will be immediately noticed and sent a tracking number.

Ok, now let's talk about the new device

Operatying System : Android 1.5 ( upgraded to 2.0 in couple of weeks )
Display : 800x480 Resistive high quality touchscreen, can be used with just fingers.
CPU : Marvell PXA303 Xscale 624 Mhz
RAM : 128 MB
FLASH NAND ROM : 256 MB
microSD card : up to 32 gb
Connectivity : WiFi a/b/g - embedded 3G WCDMA or EVDO , embedded GPS
Battery : Lithium battery ,2500mAh/7.4V,up to 4.5 hours on wifi.
Dimensions : 152mm x 83mm x 16.5mm
Weight : 510 grams

I am testing personally the device and it works quite well, the 3G modem from HUAWEI is very fast.
It features also an embedded accelerometer. Here are some pictures. :

Katelyn
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
You've got to be kidding LOL!

latest blogs (http://www.enso-now.com/blog/)today -

imaredr
06-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Katelyn,

Hopefully you were able to cancel your order. I cancelled immediately after Engadget's posting. Then I read Enso's blog and knew I made the right choice. These ppl are crazy.

Ellen

mby90300
07-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Hello from France,

I'am very happy to find - at last - some people speaking about this Enso Android tablet !
I did an order (In April 7th) of 2 tablets ... and until now, I received nothing !
Unfortunately, I asked too late to Paypal some help (More than 45 days after the purchasing date) and they can't do anything for me.
Of course, all my Email sent to Enso was without answer ... and my account from the website has been canceled !
I would really appreciate if somebody could tell me what I could do to get back my money !

Thanks in advance and congratulations for this very interesting forum !
Regards,
Michel.

jjfarren
07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi, this is Alberto Armandi Director of Enso Limited. We can ensure that we are starting shipping imminently, within the next 2 days all customers will receive their tracking numbers. If you really want to ask for a refund you can place a chargeback request with your credit card company as per the instructions mentioned in our latest blog post.
Thanks

Metal Mick
07-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi, this is Alberto Armandi Director of Enso Limited. We can ensure that we are starting shipping imminently, within the next 2 days all customers will receive their tracking numbers. If you really want to ask for a refund you can place a chargeback request with your credit card company as per the instructions mentioned in our latest blog post.
Thanks

Hi all,

AA, please excuse me for writing this - I mean no offence - but I am unsure if your advice regarding refunds is appropriate. My feeling is that it may not be:

A while ago, I got stung by an eBay purchase and went direct to my credit card company for a refund, rather than use the PayPal dispute process. I received an email from PayPal threatening me with a permanent ban if I did it again.

Since my knowledge is dated, I'd ask if other members can enlighten us regarding AA's advice (or JJFarren). PayPal is very useful (for overseas purchases), and jeopardizing one's status is something I'm sure we'd all rather avoid.

Regards to all,

mby90300
07-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks

Hello,
I'm happy to hear at last something from Enso !

I have still sent (a lot of) requests to the canceled@enso-now.com address, but with absolutely no result !

Yes, I would be refund from my payment done in April 7th.
Paypal order number is : 5AP876006K015802W from Michel BEGEY,
Amount = $335,00 USD to Enso Ltd. (info@enso-now.com)

Regards,

jjfarren
07-12-2010, 01:00 PM
They obviously do not like chargebacks, because they cost them money.
But is excessive to say that placing a chargeback on a purchase will jeopardize your paypal account. I never heard about that. They are simply refusing our requests to refund those customers requesting them. Which other option do you suggest ? Thanks. Alberto Armandi ( and call me like that please, jjfarren is just an username, you know. )

jjfarren
07-12-2010, 01:42 PM
But is excessive to say that placing a chargeback on a purchase will jeopardize your paypal account. I never heard about that. They are simply refusing our requests to refund those customers requesting them. Which other option do you suggest ? Thanks. Alberto Armandi ( and call me like that please, jjfarren is just an username, you know. )

mby90300
07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Hello Alberto Armandi,

I sent you just a private message for trying to find a arrangement.
You should answer me on the same way ...

Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
Michel.

jalandar
07-16-2010, 02:58 AM

How about you issue them refunds?

If you were a legitimate company, that wouldn't be a problem.

Instead you are giving people bad advice, that breaks their agreement with paypal, because you now have an agenda against Paypal who put an end to your "pre-order an item that doesn't exist" scam.

If I could count the number of times you've promised that items were shipping......but customers didn't see them...

And then all the feature promises...that also turned out to be false....

Back on May 31st, Engadget reported you had, yet again, promised to be shipping them by June 10th.

And here we are a month later, with...you guessed it...yet another promise to ship.

Frankly, you would be behind bars if you lived in the United States.

Thankfully most of us were smart enough to get our refunds while Paypal was still able to keep you from ripping us off.

Frankly, Alberto, if you told me the sky was blue, I would go outside and double check, because of your track record.

I apologize to the rest of the board for the tone of this message, but this guy is just laughable, and I am 110% convinced that every time he comes somewhere and pretends to be just a "struggling businessman" who is honestly trying to make this work, is just yet another attempt to keep this scam going on as long as he can milk it and maybe scam a few more people.

jalandar
07-16-2010, 03:22 AM
We will start with the initial promise that items were shipping as soon as people could order them, back in March I believe? And as it turns out, you didn't even have an arrangement made with the manufacturer to even purchase units. They knew nothing about you except that you had gotten a sample unit.

Then lets look at what you've said since then.... and how factual you have been.

05/08/2010:
"we are starting to ship put the first batch of devices.

Priority will be assigned to those customers who ordered earlier, so those who ordered recently will experience a small delay.

Please allow a couple of days to coordinate operations. A second batch of devices will come on the following week.
We expect to ship out all the orders received in a 15 days timeframe. "

Then a week later: 05/15/2010
Shippings will effectively start on Tuesday.
(Tuesday would have been 05/18/2010)

Now jump to:
06/01/2010
"There have been additional delays regarding the manufacturing process but everything is solved and delivery is scheduled for the next 10 days"

A day later he had the temerity to discuss coming out with a second product......

On 06/03/2010
"Now shippings have started and we are left with a mess of refund requests, transactions with no payments and some others situations not clear."

On 06/04/2010
"We sincerely hope this will give some peace of mind to those who think we are just criminals. "

You posted random tracking numbers, that supposedly were for shipped zenpads, but could just as easily have been from ebay auctions for something else entirely. I state this because...well...no one seems to have gotten any Zenpads by those dates....

On 06/25/2010
"Because of logistic problems with their touch panel suppliers, the manufacturer of our zenPads, Shenzhen Micro State Technology, aka SMIT, delayed again the second and final batch delivery of zenPads to July 9."

Surprise surprise...

"On July10 our logistic company in Hong Kong will ship ALL the devices together, in the same day."

07/03/2010
"i just want to reassure anyone that shippings will be out on 10 July. There will be no more delays. "

07/13/2010
"We are happy to announce that the second and last batch of zenPads has been delivered and shippings are on their way."

Which brings us to today...it seems your promise to have mailed the supposed last batch of Zenpads out by July 10th, and then again on July 13th....well now it turns out that didnt get to your warehouse until the 16th.

Sorry Alberto, but I just don't believe you have an honest bone in your body.

I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt when this whole mess started, but you have just told lie after lie after lie.

Will you now blame me, as you blamed Edgadget when they called you out for your fabrications?

You promised them a review unit on five separate occasions beginning in early April, and you missed each deadline that you had set for yourself. Finally they gave up, and then low and behold out of nowhere a demo unit arrived near the end of May. And what do you know, it lacked promised features.

Let's start with the OS. Android 1.6 was what you touted, and what did it come with? Android 1.5.

And then as a supposedly apology for the (at that time) 1 month delay, you promised the devices would be upgraded to Eclair.

The promised Digital Compass? Nope, not there.

Video Format support? Failed to support a SINGLE format listed on the spec sheet on your site.

The images on your site of the OS running? Doctored, there was no where near the screen real estate the images implied there would be.

The touchscreen? Even with the stylus, it performed horribly. don't like a Stylus, and want to use your thumb? Good luck.

No no accelerometer, and when you go to manually change the orientation...the software is screwed up and gives you the wrong format.

USB and SD Card support? Good luck, they were both so problematic, it may as well have not had the support at all.

There are devices already out at almost half the price, with larger and better designed touchscreens, that are head and shoulders above this one.

Even if it turns out they are finally delivering their vaporware product (Something I still doubt myself) this product is not worth half the price.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

mby90300
07-17-2010, 05:56 AM
I did a Paypal contention request, but it was refused because the 45 days delay was out.
But they explained me that it should be possible anyway to do something, if other people are claiming about the same company in the 6 coming months ...
Therefore I suggest that - if you are in the same situation than me - you do the same by Paypal.
Please let me know how many we are !

Regards,
Michel.

jalandar
07-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Fortunately both mine and my mother's orders were within the 45 day periods when we concluded that there was a great chance this was a scam, so we got our refunds fairly easily.

I hope you get it resolved, mby90300. One thing you have going for you, is that Paypal security is very aware of this situation and the facts of the case.

mby90300
07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I received - at least - from Enso an answer to my many cancelation requests: Here is the text :

Hello Mr Begey,
Here are the options you have for getting a refund :
1) wait until 7 Oct 2010, the day when Paypal will unlock our funds, and then we will proceed to refund your payment.
2) Call your credit card company ( if you paid with such method ) and place a chargeback request over that particular transaction. We will be surely charged additional fees if you choose this way.
Thanks for your patience
Enso Staff

Seams really a fraud, because 7 oct 2010 corresponds exactly to the 180 days delay after witch I would lost any chance to request something by Paypal !
And Paypal seams not so aware about Enso problems, because they refused my contention request until now ... Hope it will change !

jjfarren
07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I can ensure all of you that i never meant this a scam or whatever you can call it. Initially i had placed some lots of zenPads for sale on eBay, and i had agreements regarding such quantities of items with SMIT, but after Engadget sudden post everything changed, i was never asked by them if we had enough stock to cover a lot of orders before. This situation clearly leaded to what happened. Since the start i tried starting up the business with limited resources, so the amounts of sales that Engadget procured totally blown me out. And i don't know about you, but if you have tried dealing with chinese factories, well it's not easy, there's always that goes wrong. Add the delay to find some investors willing to put real money to place the order with SMIT, because we never have been able to use the money on Paypal, yes, do not worry, it is all still there, in their bank account. Kept safely.
Anyway after we found the investors we placed the order with SMIT, and not only they waited about two 2 weeks ( the amount of time that usually takes a wire transfer from bank to bank, from italy to china, and generally overseas ) to start production ( but they agreed with me on the phone that a receipt of the payment would be fine to start, i did so but the reality is that they waited), since they wanted to be sure we were actually sending them real money. They also delayed more telling us that their touch panel suppliers got a big order and placed our small one on hold, but finally all this odyssey ended. Our goods are safe in a Hong Kong warehouse now and in the hands of a serious logistics company that is handling the shippings.
Today i sent them the shipping addresses list of the people that still wants the zenPad without 3G or ordered it so.
This week the zenPads will be out for real, believe it or not :)
Regarding our new products, we have a new manufacturer for them, and deeply different agreements, we will be able to ship 30 days after we sold the 100 pieces slots on our website. This time we are being clear since the start.
I really hope that people can change opinion about us, because we are just some guys who wants to start a business, and we are motivated and passionated. Troubles can happen to anyone.
We do not want to repeat our mistakes. We understand that we created a big mess with Paypal.
They ( Paypal ) told us that the funds will be released in 180 days, around 8 oct 2010, at that time we would proceed with all refunds. At the moment with do not have financial ability to do so, since Paypal blocked ALL of our funds.
The orders without 3G are going out this week, i already delivered the shipping addresses list to the logistic company and the shippings are imminent. Tracking numbers will be mailed to each customer.

Alberto Armandi

jjfarren
07-19-2010, 05:03 PM
It turns out that other sites reviewed our product and honestly, i would not call what Engadget released, a "review", they just wanted to put us down even more, because we clearly made them lose face a bit with the paypal scandal/mess .
You can read a real review here http://www.multimediawereld.be/computer/enso-zenpad-review
but you have to translate from dutch to english.
Most of the problems Engadget mentioned are ovestated. The device is actually pretty good.

Bests
Alberto Armandi

We will start with the initial promise that items were shipping as soon as people could order them, back in March I believe? And as it turns out, you didn't even have an arrangement made with the manufacturer to even purchase units. They knew nothing about you except that you had gotten a sample unit.

Then lets look at what you've said since then.... and how factual you have been.

05/08/2010:
"we are starting to ship put the first batch of devices.

Priority will be assigned to those customers who ordered earlier, so those who ordered recently will experience a small delay.

Please allow a couple of days to coordinate operations. A second batch of devices will come on the following week.
We expect to ship out all the orders received in a 15 days timeframe. "

Then a week later: 05/15/2010
Shippings will effectively start on Tuesday.
(Tuesday would have been 05/18/2010)

Now jump to:
06/01/2010
"There have been additional delays regarding the manufacturing process but everything is solved and delivery is scheduled for the next 10 days"

A day later he had the temerity to discuss coming out with a second product......

On 06/03/2010
"Now shippings have started and we are left with a mess of refund requests, transactions with no payments and some others situations not clear."

On 06/04/2010
"We sincerely hope this will give some peace of mind to those who think we are just criminals. "

You posted random tracking numbers, that supposedly were for shipped zenpads, but could just as easily have been from ebay auctions for something else entirely. I state this because...well...no one seems to have gotten any Zenpads by those dates....

On 06/25/2010
"Because of logistic problems with their touch panel suppliers, the manufacturer of our zenPads, Shenzhen Micro State Technology, aka SMIT, delayed again the second and final batch delivery of zenPads to July 9."

Surprise surprise...

"On July10 our logistic company in Hong Kong will ship ALL the devices together, in the same day."

07/03/2010
"i just want to reassure anyone that shippings will be out on 10 July. There will be no more delays. "

07/13/2010
"We are happy to announce that the second and last batch of zenPads has been delivered and shippings are on their way."

Which brings us to today...it seems your promise to have mailed the supposed last batch of Zenpads out by July 10th, and then again on July 13th....well now it turns out that didnt get to your warehouse until the 16th.

Sorry Alberto, but I just don't believe you have an honest bone in your body.

I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt when this whole mess started, but you have just told lie after lie after lie.

Will you now blame me, as you blamed Edgadget when they called you out for your fabrications?

You promised them a review unit on five separate occasions beginning in early April, and you missed each deadline that you had set for yourself. Finally they gave up, and then low and behold out of nowhere a demo unit arrived near the end of May. And what do you know, it lacked promised features.

Let's start with the OS. Android 1.6 was what you touted, and what did it come with? Android 1.5.

And then as a supposedly apology for the (at that time) 1 month delay, you promised the devices would be upgraded to Eclair.

The promised Digital Compass? Nope, not there.

Video Format support? Failed to support a SINGLE format listed on the spec sheet on your site.

The images on your site of the OS running? Doctored, there was no where near the screen real estate the images implied there would be.

The touchscreen? Even with the stylus, it performed horribly. don't like a Stylus, and want to use your thumb? Good luck.

No no accelerometer, and when you go to manually change the orientation...the software is screwed up and gives you the wrong format.

USB and SD Card support? Good luck, they were both so problematic, it may as well have not had the support at all.

There are devices already out at almost half the price, with larger and better designed touchscreens, that are head and shoulders above this one.

Even if it turns out they are finally delivering their vaporware product (Something I still doubt myself) this product is not worth half the price.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

jalandar
07-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Most of the things Engadget stated in their review are not exxagerated

The title of that last comment you made is what I quote above.

Looks like a possible Freudian slip to me (I left the misspelling in place for exaggerated).

In any event, I caution anyone ever dealing with this person. This had and still has scam written all over it. And with this guy's history of past failures, I would just take a lot of caution with regard to his current and future ventures.

Franky
07-23-2010, 07:30 AM
who don't you look at the Pandigital Novel. that looks serious cool for just 199 bucks. í just looked at the website and now i'm hoping somebody can give some reviews about it...

bugeyed
07-23-2010, 08:01 PM
SlateDroid forums has one dedicated to the PanDigital Novel. It's a very active community of veteran & first time hackers.
Cheers,
kev

dspeers
07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
After much waiting, yesterday I received my ZenPad from Enso. It would appear that this was not a scam, but a start-up that seriously underestimated the logistical difficulties of manufacturing and shipping a device, had some bad press resulting in greater challenges with unhappy customers, and was unwise in public statements that they made.

However, the device is real and I have it in my hands. Yes, it's 1.5, and it appears there will be no way to upgrade it. The screen took some getting used to, but seems more responsive today than yesterday (could just be me learning how to use it).

They also included a car mount for the windshield at no extra charge. So, I can tether it to my MiFi and use it as a GPS, very cool. Perfect size screen for this.

Despite the troubles they had and the long waits, I am a happy customer.

luqmaninbmore
08-01-2010, 12:14 AM
I would be very amazed if you could tether it to your mi-fi given that Android does not support connections to ad-hoc access points.

dspeers
08-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Well, I certainly am. Verizon 2200 MiFi creates a 3G WiFi network, allows up to 5 connections. Maybe it's not ad hoc? I can connect my MacBook, iPad, etc, no problem.

murraypaul
08-01-2010, 04:56 AM
I would be very amazed if you could tether it to your mi-fi given that Android does not support connections to ad-hoc access points.

'Ad-hoc access point' doesn't really make any sense.
An access point creates an infrastructure connection. An ad-hoc connection is direct between two devices. They are rarely used. A MiFi device would most likely be an access point, not ad-hoc.