View Full Version : Do you think JK Rowling will cave eventually?

ficbot
03-21-2010, 03:21 PM
I am just curious about this. I kind of want the Harry Potter series in ebook, but not enough to scan them in myself from paper and proof them (or to proof-read badly OCRd darknet copies). I know JK Rowling is opposed to ebooks, but I am wondering if she really does plan to hold out forever. You think she'll cave, eventually?

Kemp
03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
I'd wager that most publishers and authors hesitant to embrace a different medium of consumption will be left behind by those willing to adapt to the changing market.

Then again, she has umpteen bazillion dollars, so she probably won't weep too much if her sales decline when people move further and further towards ebooks.

pdurrant
03-21-2010, 03:31 PM
(or to proof-read badly OCRd darknet copies).

Actually, the darknet Harry Potter ebooks are amazingly well proof-read. Much better than any commercial ebook, even The Lord of the Rings.

Well, so I've heard.... :)

Harry Potter and the Unauthorised Ebooks

Sydney's Mom
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Actually, the darknet Harry Potter ebooks are amazingly well proof-read. Much better than any commercial ebook, even The Lord of the Rings.

I heard something like that from my kindle, as well.

Elfwreck
03-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I expect she'll keep them off the market indefinitely (i.e. "more than another 15 years," long past when anyone's really interested) unless a court ruling somewhere establishes that free ebooks of titles that haven't been released as legit ebooks are not copyright infringment because they're not costing the copyright owner anything--they're not lost sales, not allowing someone else financial gain, not competing with sales because the format is too different, and so on.

At least one judge has said she'd be open to arguments of that nature, but no cases have specifically tried it yet.

Ben Thornton
03-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Although these books may be available as ebooks eventually, my impression is that Rowling doesn't like ebooks for some reason, so this will depend on the extent of her control over publication, and whether anything changes her mind.

theducks
03-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Control summed it up.
Remember she even required British actors (Not a bad thing) in the films.

delphidb96
03-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Frankly I *hope* she follows through with her ongoing stupidity. She's living proof onr can be creative, successful *and* a congenital idiot.

trbraxton
03-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I think J.k. Rowling will cave once she is convinced that ebooks are something that will not go away. No matter how rich she is, I don't believe that she will denie future generations an oppurtunity to be introduced to her extraordinary series just because she doesn't like the format that the text is contained within.:chinscratch:

Check out my books, free stories and blog:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/6119

http://www.trbraxton.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Hands-T-R-Braxton/dp/0984124403/

http://thecuriousmindoftrbraxton.blogspot.com/

DawnFalcon
03-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Other: "Most people who give a **** about this just grabbed them from the darknet given her attitude towards ebooks".

sabredog
03-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Other: "Most people who give a **** about this just grabbed them from the darknet given her attitude towards ebooks".

I did hear on the grapevine that some keen readers got a rather curt "You have been naughty" email from a snooper agency after they "obtained" HP ebooks from the darknet.

HP ebooks would sell very well indeed for her if she got with the times a bit more.

guyanonymous
03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
For every book after the first, each book, in its entirety, was online (in pdf format) within an hour or two of it going on sale in the UK. Proofed non-pdf versions started showing up later the next day. These weren't in dark corners of of private internet sites - but the main, open areas (usenet, irc, torrents, etc) that are easily searched.

All she's doing is missing out on sales, not stopping or delaying access by anyone to her books electronically - other than those who want to pay for it.

kindlekitten
03-21-2010, 07:44 PM
someone should start a completely anonymous sign in site that could then be sent to J.K. of people admitting to darknetting them

pwalker8
03-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Actually, the last one was darknetted before it hit the stores.

I didn't think that Tolkien's work would ever come out in ebooks but it did. I'm sure that as it becomes more mainstream over the next several years, she will cave. After all, Lucus eventually caved on DVD copies of his movies.

rcuadro
03-21-2010, 08:02 PM
As have I :)

K-Thom
03-21-2010, 09:21 PM

Whoo, finally, Book eight! :D In which Harry will confront the evil schemes of Lord Kindlemort. This is not for the faint of heart!

DawnFalcon
03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I did hear on the grapevine that some keen readers got a rather curt "You have been naughty" email from a snooper agency after they "obtained" HP ebooks from the darknet.

The ones who were dumb enough not to run something like Peerblock, sure.

*shrugs*

I don't really have much sympathy when no legal version is available.

Elfwreck
03-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Actually, the last one was darknetted before it hit the stores.

I didn't think that Tolkien's work would ever come out in ebooks but it did. I'm sure that as it becomes more mainstream over the next several years, she will cave. After all, Lucus eventually caved on DVD copies of his movies.

The pre-store version was, umm, not up to normal ebook quality standards. Not even for darknet editions. See attached image.

The "carpet edition" was probably the only way to have it accepted, though, because several novel-length fanfics had been grabbed, retitled "Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows," and uploaded to torrent and filesharing sites. It'd take photos, not OCR'd pages, to convince people it was real.

People who'd bought three or four copies (one for themselves, one for each child in the house, one for a friend) downloaded the carpet edition in order to read it before sales started, so they could go online that day without the risk of jerks announcing who dies before they got the chance to read it.

happy_terd
03-22-2010, 02:38 AM
She is worth over a billion dollars. I dont think she has to care or cave.

Sweetpea
03-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Never.

Which isn't the end of the world, as you can find perfect copies elsewhere...

I'm getting the impression that if a book is legally available, it's harder to find on the darknet. And if a book won't be available legally, you'll find it everywhere...

astra
03-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Without any shadow of doubt she will cave in. The longer she resists the more painful it is going to be for ego.

Kevin2960
03-22-2010, 06:37 AM

Your Not Wrong :cool:

wayrad
03-22-2010, 07:44 AM
She is worth over a billion dollars. I dont think she has to care or cave.But will a billion be enough? More money is always handy...

astra
03-22-2010, 07:49 AM
But will a billion be enough? More money is always handy...

Yeah, plastic surgery might be pricey...

LDBoblo
03-22-2010, 08:36 AM
She just wants to be in control of the user experience. A lot like Apple in that way (and MS in their upcoming Windows Phone Series 7). Consumer response seems to play this out as well.

HarryT
03-22-2010, 08:45 AM
We may not agree with her stance on the issue, but the choice is hers to make.

Ben Thornton
03-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Once you have a certain amount of money, you no longer have to do anything. In such situations, people often take up extreme sports and other dangerous hobbies.

So, she may well cave - but I expect that she'll wear a hard hat.

astra
03-22-2010, 09:25 AM

You are stressing it so hard, as if anybody is trying to force her.

JoeD
03-22-2010, 09:28 AM
I voted "other" because I no longer care what she thinks about ebooks and have given up waiting for them. I will not buy the paper books either, I bought a ebook reader to avoid the space needed and won't start doing so just for the HP books.

If they had been available in ebook then she'd have got a complete set of sales from me. Instead I'm just going to borrow them from a friend. (Not that anyone will care about a lost sale, not even pocket change)

In time I think most authors will realise the ebook market is split between those who will buy paper books when needed and those who will only ever buy ebooks. As the market grows that proportion of ebook only books will eventually reach a significant enough size that authors will no longer be able to ignore ebooks if they wish to be a success.

She just wants to be in control of the user experience. A lot like Apple in that way (and MS in their upcoming Windows Phone Series 7). Consumer response seems to play this out as well.

Users want different things. Some want paper books, some want ebooks and others want neither of those, they want pictures and sound. Should she have held off licensing movie rights because she wanted people to read the paper books instead? Why are ebooks any different. Is she's worried about quality, pick a good format and release in that.

Format C:
03-22-2010, 09:41 AM
The voice "there are too many good books out there to start worrying about that ones" is missing, so I voted "yes"...

:wink:

pilotbob
03-22-2010, 11:05 AM

I'm not worth anywhere near that... and I don't care either.

BOb

ngrant
03-22-2010, 11:25 AM
For me there are always new and interesting ebooks to catch my interest, and a boatload of classics and public domain stuff to keep me busy for several lifetimes. Harry Potter is in no way a must-have series, they were fine to read one time (free from the library) but why sweat it? If or when they are available in ebook format and I am still in the mood, I would STILL wait for a bargain basement sale or 100% micropay at fictionwise or similar.

Logseman
03-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Whoo, finally, Book eight! In which Harry will confront the evil schemes of Lord Kindlemort. This is not for the faint of heart!

Are you sure you're not meaning Harry Pocket?:)

ardeegee
03-22-2010, 11:48 AM
or to proof-read badly OCRd darknet copies

With any popular books, you can be pretty well assured that they have gone through multiple versions and multiple people making corrections to and republishing the material. That's why some random stranger on the street told me that if I did ever decide to look at books like that (not that I would) you would find them with revision numbers like v1.1, v1.2, v1.3, etc. as people made tweaks to them.

MJK2111
03-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Whoo, finally, Book eight! :D In which Harry will confront the evil schemes of Lord Kindlemort. This is not for the faint of heart!

Book nine: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Paper Novels.

EowynCarter
03-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Well, I found some html of the english version, first thing I opened in sigil.

I'll glally pay the day the officals e-books comes around, until then...

astra
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
I love this topic :2thumbsup

pdurrant

K-Thom
In which Harry will confront the evil schemes of Lord Kindlemort. This is not for the faint of heart

Logseman
Harry Pocket

MJK2111
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Paper Novels

Shaggy
03-22-2010, 04:33 PM
I am just curious about this. I kind of want the Harry Potter series in ebook, but not enough to scan them in myself from paper and proof them (or to proof-read badly OCRd darknet copies). I know JK Rowling is opposed to ebooks, but I am wondering if she really does plan to hold out forever. You think she'll cave, eventually?

If you look at the reasons she has given for this in the past, it's pretty clear that she doesn't understand technology and is afraid of it. The word "Luddite" has been used, and is probably accurate in her case.

Given that, and the fact that she has tons of money she's already made off of this franchise, probably means that she doesn't care if she's losing any money by not selling eBooks. I don't expect her stance to change any time soon.

Shaggy
03-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Nobody ever said it wasn't.

Then again, nobody ever says the choice isn't hers every time you bring this up.

Shaggy
03-22-2010, 04:42 PM

They were probably re-distributing them. Theoretically, if you download without re-sharing, these "snooper agencies" will never know.

Shaggy
03-22-2010, 04:44 PM
You are stressing it so hard, as if anybody is trying to force her.

He says the exact same thing every time the HP series comes up on here. :shrug:

wayrad
03-22-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm not worth anywhere near that... and I don't care either.

BObPeople who start out with next to nothing sometimes never feel really secure, no matter how much they have later. If that's the case, there's always a chance that her attitude toward ebooks will change when the HP books are no longer raking it in hand over fist, especially if any subsequent books of hers don't meet with the same success. But I've already read the HP series, so it's hard for me to care much either.

pilotbob
03-22-2010, 05:05 PM
People who start out with next to nothing sometimes never feel really secure, no matter how much they have later. If that's the case, there's always a chance that her attitude toward ebooks will change when the HP books are no longer raking it in hand over fist, especially if any subsequent books of hers don't meet with the same success. But I've already read the HP series, so it's hard for me to care much either.

I think she has way too much to worry.

Didn't she donate 100% of the proceeds of The Tales of Beedle the Bard to charity.

BOb

pwalker8
03-22-2010, 08:22 PM
The pre-store version was, umm, not up to normal ebook quality standards. Not even for darknet editions. See attached image.

The "carpet edition" was probably the only way to have it accepted, though, because several novel-length fanfics had been grabbed, retitled "Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows," and uploaded to torrent and filesharing sites. It'd take photos, not OCR'd pages, to convince people it was real.

People who'd bought three or four copies (one for themselves, one for each child in the house, one for a friend) downloaded the carpet edition in order to read it before sales started, so they could go online that day without the risk of jerks announcing who dies before they got the chance to read it.

All I can say is that I saw the lrf version of it on a Sony Reader while I was waiting in line for the witching hour to hit and B&N to break open the boxes. It looked very well done, with no obvious errors and the parts that I looked at were exactly what I read a bit later in the hard back version. My understanding is that a group of readers took the pictures, split them up and OCR'ed them. When you have enough people involved it can be done very fast and quite accurate. It's a lot easier to have 100 people proof reading 10 pages each. The person who had it, also bought a book, so it wasn't like she lost a sale, but it does illustrate my point that any book that people want is out there on the dark net and if it's popular enough, odds are it may be better proofed than the official version.

cbarnett
03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Her opinion of ebooks has been made clear many times (I believe she even wrote most if not all the books with pen and paper?), so the Luddite claim is probably valid too.

Having said that, I think she'll give in eventually, if only to continue her revenue stream as ebooks claim larger and larger shares of the market.

In the meantime, there's plenty of VERY good fan fiction out there set in the HP universe. Some is a lot better than JKR's writing, in my opinion.

Kevin2960
03-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Well I'd love the Harry Potter books in eBook format, but JK Rowling is powerful enough and rich enough to stand alone and resist calls to make them available,

And realistically I think more power to her, just as we want OUR way with eBooks, she wants her way, I admire her for sticking to what she believes despite great pressure even if it's different to our desires,

When I'm as rich and famous as her however have no fear ..... YOU will find my books available in eBOOK format, some of them free,

BUT you may have to wait a few years for me to achieve Fame and Fortune :rolleyes:;):rolleyes::cool:

Lirael
03-23-2010, 02:59 PM
I think she might cave somewhere down the line, when ebooks become much more commonplace - and therefore, once readers of ebooks make up a much larger portion of her target demographic.

Krystian Galaj
03-24-2010, 07:00 AM
She's not having her way though, she's just losing money.

wayrad
03-24-2010, 07:25 AM
I think she has way too much to worry.

Didn't she donate 100% of the proceeds of The Tales of Beedle the Bard to charity.

BObI don't know how it works in Great Britain, but in the USA I think that would have meant a hefty income tax deduction. And publicity is publicity anywhere. :)

pilotbob
03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't know how it works in Great Britain, but in the USA I think that would have meant a hefty income tax deduction. And publicity is publicity anywhere. :)

Just... Wow.

BOb

wayrad
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Just... Wow.

BObI'm not quite sure what you mean. It's hardly news that charity is a sound policy for the very wealthy, whether or not motivated by altruistic considerations. Certainly more so than cracking down on HP-themed parties... But I'm not wedded to the idea she'll see any reason to change her mind - this is, after all, just a friendly discussion.

fugazied
03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
It's about money with that woman. In 20 years time she will still want the big money rolling in and all the kids will be on e-books by then.

The real reason she is so scared of e-books is the piracy paranoia.

DawnFalcon
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
So she makes sure that anyone who gets an ebook has a pirated version.

Brilliant!

cbarnett
03-24-2010, 08:22 PM
I know, it's ironic. She's made her stance crystal clear, yet her HP books are possibly the fastest known books that have ever been pirated into ebooks. :smack:

dsvick
03-25-2010, 09:09 AM
I hope she caves eventually, but I'm not sure she will. If she does I'll grab a set of them for future re-reading even though we already have the paper version.

I would hope that, money aside, she would want to make her books available in as many different formats as possible so it could be enjoyed by that many more people with out the having to be criminals to do it.

kindlekitten
03-25-2010, 09:16 AM
J.K. Rowling; making criminals out of the reading public daily

astra
03-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I'll grab a set of them

I won't.
She missed her chance to get my money for e-edition.
I already have 2.42857142857142857142857142857143 sets in paper.

EowynCarter
03-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I know, it's ironic. She's made her stance crystal clear, yet her HP books are possibly the fastest known books that have ever been pirated into ebooks. :smack:
Yeah, maybe that's why She have such a hard feeling toward e-books. And i think she is among the "smell of books" people.

It's about money with that woman.
I'm not so sure about that. She rich now, but she know what having to worry about invoices is.

Fat Abe
03-27-2010, 03:59 PM
The survey should have split the "Other" category into "No Opinion" or "Who Cares?"

Rowling is not the first artist to insist on confining her books to one medium. Harold Lloyd, the famous movie actor/screenwriter/director/producer, reportedly placed a stipulation in his will and testament that his films were only to be shown to movie audiences (note the plural). His heirs interpreted this literally, and did not allow his movies to be sold in any of the future recorded formats (beta/vhs/laserdisc/dvd, etc.), for many, many years. Not until the 21st century could you buy his movies on DVD. In the 1990's, I obtained a Japanese pressed copy of one of his movies on laserdisc for $150. The story of how this came to be (i.e., available on laserdisc in Japan and not the U.S.A.) is interesting but not germane to this thread.

Thus, when you wonder, "how long, how long ? ...", be glad you can read Rowling's work in hardcover today, in the privacy of your own home. Or, just post an open letter, requesting distribution in ebook format, to Rowling and her publisher.

Xanthe
03-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm sure as soon as the first either of these things happen she will cave: a) they offer her enough money (even though she doesn't need any more), or b) print sales begin to decrease.

Personally, I'm glad her pig-headedness has caused her to lose potential sales (being totally uninterested and unimpressed by the whole Harry Potter phenomenon as I am - it's only good point is that it's gotten more kids reading). That's more money to spend on authors who embrace the new technology and who realize that both methods of publishing are not mutually exclusive.

kindlekitten
03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm sure as soon as the first either of these things happen she will cave: a) they offer her enough money (even though she doesn't need any more), or b) print sales begin to decrease.

Personally, I'm glad her pig-headedness has caused her to lose potential sales (being totally uninterested and unimpressed by the whole Harry Potter phenomenon as I am - it's only good point is that it's gotten more kids reading). That's more money to spend on authors who embrace the new technology and who realize that both methods of publishing are not mutually exclusive.

yeah, but Stephanie Meyers IS epublishing! I'd rather have a kid read what is actually pretty good writing from Rowling than the dreck that Meyers writes any day

pilotbob
03-28-2010, 12:54 PM
yeah, but Stephanie Meyers IS epublishing! I'd rather have a kid read what is actually pretty good writing from Rowling than the dreck that Meyers writes any day

I don't know... my daughter read and loves Harry Potter (my whole family are fans) and she also has read and loves the Twilight books. (She is the only in the family to read it.) But, at least she is reading.

Don't we have to let our kids read what they will and make their own decisions as to what they like, what is good and what is bad. I <strike>am sure</strike> certain my 13yo daughter has much different tastes that either my wife or I do. So, to constrain here to what I have read and enjoyed and think is appropriate for here would pretty much limit her to a lot less reading.

BOb

HarryT
03-28-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't know... my daughter read and loves Harry Potter (my whole family are fans) and she also has read and loves the Twilight books. (She is the only in the family to read it.) But, at least she is reading.

Stephanie Meyers has clearly found a market sector (teenage girls) that she knows how to write for, and is highly successful at it. It's not great literature, but it's not intended to be. I think personally that we should be encouraging the success of authors, rather than denigrating them because what they write doesn't come up to some imaginary "quality standard".

pilotbob
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Stephanie Meyers has clearly found a market sector (teenage girls) that she knows how to write for, and is highly successful at it. It's not great literature, but it's not intended to be. I think personally that we should be encouraging the success of authors, rather than denigrating them because what they write doesn't come up to some imaginary "quality standard".

Yes, I always feel inadequate when I see people write stuff about a book I really enjoyed being drivel and awful writing. I guess I'm just an uneducated ruffian that doesn't know when a book is bad. Although I guess I'll have to be ok with it.

BOb

(sorry this got a bit off topic.)

kindlekitten
03-28-2010, 01:23 PM

Yes, I always feel inadequate when I see people write stuff about a book I really enjoyed being drivel and awful writing. I guess I'm just an uneducated ruffian that doesn't know when a book is bad. Although I guess I'll have to be ok with it.

BOb

(sorry this got a bit off topic.)

I'd recommend to both of you to give Meyers a read. I had completely dismissed Rowling when her books first came out, but finally read one and was VERY pleasantly surprised! I decided to give Meyers an equal chance... the writing is just incredibly bad!

pilotbob
03-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I'd recommend to both of you to give Meyers a read. I had completely dismissed Rowling when her books first came out, but finally read one and was VERY pleasantly surprised! I decided to give Meyers an equal chance... the writing is just incredibly bad!

I understand your opinion. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't bad. But, frankly I don't care. If my daughter likes them, more power to her.

Frankly, they are not a theme or a topic I care for... especially after watching the horrid (in my opinion) Twilight movie do I care to attempt it.

I also very much enjoyed the Harry Potter series and enjoy the movies... although there are many people that call them "bad" and "drivel". I guess opinions are like... well you know... everybody has one and most of them stink. ;)

BOb

kindlekitten
03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
lol! indeed! I haven't been able to force myself to watch Twilight yet. I figure one of these days when I am just tremondously bored!

astra
03-28-2010, 02:23 PM
I liked the first Twilight film.
After that I decided I would like to read the series.

Ben Thornton
03-28-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm lucky in that my son is into reading "Captain Underpants" books at the moment, which are a literary gem. Will I be spared these "Twilight" things, or are they not just for girls?

We've read the first few Harry Potters together, but I think that he needs to be a bit older for the next ones. I think that the HP books are good but not great - and that much of the pooh-poohing of them is a reaction against their disproportionate success.

I'm not sure about ebooks for children - I think that I'd want a more indestructible device before handing them out to a class of primary school kids.

EowynCarter
03-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I remember when going at the fnac, when I saw the twilight book, at the place that had been Harrry's for a long time enough it felt weird to see something else there.

Well, Meyer don't have that something in rowling's style. I still enjoyed reading twilight.

pilotbob
03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books... I thought it was a great story... and epic of good vs evil told in a manner that was entertaining and could capture the imagination of child and adult alike.

However, I how no idea all of the symbolism and mythology and such that she put into this series until I started listening to the SQPN: Secrets of Harry Potter podcast. It goes into some of this stuff.. for example many of the characters names have a deeper meaning or tie to some greek myth or religious icon...etc...

I am sure a lot of what they say in the podcast is speculation... but much of it makes a lot of sense... so, it impressed me even more the thought and planning that she put into this series.

I have no idea if JK has more on the horizon.... but I look forward to her next efforts. I have no idea if she can top Harry... but I for one will be reading her next book (if there ever is one) even if I have to buy it in paper. (We bought 5 paper copies of The Deathly Hallows and the audio book version on CD on the release date.)

BOb

ardeegee
03-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books... I thought it was a great story... and epic of good vs evil told in a manor that was entertaining and could capture the imagination of child and adult alike.

With the money she makes, she can afford a pretty big manor.

Rowling is an interesting case. I never tried reading the Potter books at first, but after watching the first few movies decided to give them a try-- and quickly gave up after browsing through a few (illegal downloads.) The interesting case? She creates interesting stories with interesting characters and interesting settings-- but with utterly pedestrian writing. The prose and dialogue just lies there on the page, dead. I couldn't force myself to read the whole books. So as a writer, I think Rowling makes some pretty good movies.

(It isn't just Rowling-- after watching and enjoying the series True Blood I took a look at the books it was based on. Yikes, what underwhelming writing!)

pilotbob
03-28-2010, 03:12 PM
With the money she makes, she can afford a pretty big manor.

Note to self... make sure spell checker doesn't change the word I meant to use. DOH! :smack:

BOb

pilotbob
03-28-2010, 03:14 PM
The prose and dialogue just lies there on the page, dead. I couldn't force myself to read the whole books.

Well... la ti da... as I said before... I guess I'm just too bourgeois to realize how bad her writing is. Shame on me for enjoying her books.

BOb

ficbot
03-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I think that especially with kids, anything that gets them reading is good. My little brother did not read for fun for years then all of a sudden discovered reading---and his first self-chosen book was Shogun, which is like 900 pages long. We all were stunned.

Personally, I really hate literary snobs. I took a creative writing elective in university which was taught by such a person and it was a miserable experience. I was far too 'genre' for her, and she critiqued all of our work with a fervent belief in literary fiction as The One True Way. It turned me off writing for awhile. I spent a solid year reading nothing but fanfiction after that.

The thing is, people can like all sorts of different things. My mom reads her share of literary fiction, but she also enjoys those sprawling romance sagas from time to time because they are very long so she can go to Florida for a week and only need to bring one book with her. If you are going into the bookstore to browse and THAT is your selection criteria, Ondattje is not going to cut it. But in another circumstance, it might be something you enjoy. And within the genre of 'sprawling romance saga which will last a whole week on the beach' there are authors who do it better and authors who are less sought out...

Personally, I did enjoy the Harry Potter books but I found Twilight completely ridiculous. I am not the target audience for it anyway. But I am sure even within the genre of Books Which Appeal to Teenaged Girls there are the better authors and the not as good, and I am sure there are some very well-read 14-year-olds who hated the Twilight books. Thankfully there are enough books out there for everyone, so why be a snob about it? Let everyone enjoy what they want.

Solitaire1
03-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I think that eventually JK Rowling will allow ebooks versions of the Harry Potter (HP) series, but it will occur when sales of the printed versions drop to a low level. That would provide a significant incentive to release them in ebook form. For me, due to lack of physical space an ebook version is the only way I'd consider purchasing the HP series.

ardeegee
03-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Well... la ti da... as I said before... I guess I'm just too bourgeois to realize how bad her writing is. Shame on me for enjoying her books.

BOb

For comparison (staying within the category of fantasy, and either kidlit or not excessively adult to preclude adolescents) how about some quotes:

Lemony Snicket:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/36746.Lemony_Snicket

Discworld:

http://www.theninemuses.net/quotes/discworld.html

And Rowling:

http://www.quotegarden.com/bk-hp.html

Can't you see how painfully stiff and prosaic those Rowling quotes (from, I would assume, submissions by actual fans) compared to the other two writers?

DawnFalcon
03-28-2010, 04:24 PM

If I'm going to read pulp, I'd rather read scifi or low fantasy pulp than high fantasy :p

ficbot
03-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Well, some of the examples you cite are a bit misleading. Firstly because the other two write mostly for humour, and the Potter books are more dark fantasy, and secondly because many of the quotes on the Harry Potter page are from the screenplays, which Rowling didn't write...

There is also the matter of personal opinion. I think you are mistaken in believing that there is a right answer and a wrong answer here and that you must make us see the right answer. People just have different tastes and opinions. Such is life. Personally, I found the Snicket books fun at first but with a sameness to them after awhile, and I think Pratchett can come across as trying a bit too hard to be clever sometimes (although I did enjoy the Death ones). Other people love those authors. Other people love the Harry Potter books. Some people like none of them. Where is the harm?

Sunspark
03-29-2010, 12:58 AM
It's only a matter of time.

I remember when DVDs first came out and Steven Spielberg was all "omg! teh dvd!! teh noes!!".

So everyone was happily selling DVDs while Spielberg stuck to his VHS tapes.

Logseman
03-30-2010, 02:46 PM
It's only a matter of time.

I remember when DVDs first came out and Steven Spielberg was all "omg! teh dvd!! teh noes!!".

So everyone was happily selling DVDs while Spielberg stuck to his VHS tapes.
Did THAT GUY of all people complain about an improvement in video quality?

Xanthe
03-30-2010, 11:19 PM

The audiences are a bit different, in that Rowling's books seem to be liked by both genders and a wider age group.

The age group that Meyers aims at doesn't judge "good writing" by the same criteria that adults do - at least I didn't at that age. I didn't stick to my age group's literature when I was a teen, but I can't say that at that point in time I was that discerning a reader - if the story hooked me the I would read the book. Looking back, I read a lot that I would now consider dreck, but I enjoyed those books the time.

I don't have problems with people liking books that I don't; I certainly don't think that my taste in reading is any kind of standard that others must meet. Nor do I have a problem when authors write for a specific audience segement. The only problem I have is when authors are dishonest in their writing, when they delude themselves as to why they write what they do, or why they complain about readers who point out errors in continuity or coherence, or when their opinion of their writing is greater than its actuality.

dsvick
03-31-2010, 09:42 AM
lol! indeed! I haven't been able to force myself to watch Twilight yet. I figure one of these days when I am just tremondously bored!

Noooo, don't do it. It was terrible, horrible, and all the other 'ible's. I thought is was very cheesy and way over the top in some places - even more so than the books (which I sort of enjoyed). I walked out wondering how they could have completed it and thought it was any good, then I considered the target audience... my, then 15 year old, daughter couldn't stop saying how good it was...

When New Moon came out, my wife took here and me and my son went to see Alvin and the Chipmunks!!

Starearedkid
03-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Honestly, I would love if they came to ebooks. Eventually John Grisham did. Whenever, I want "light" reading--I typically re-read my books. I like to read, just to read; and sometimes I have too much going on that I can't start a new book. When I start a new book, I become actively immersed and involved in it--where I will insist on finishing it in one day.

However, books I already know how it ends, or qualify as "light reading" to me (i.e Harry Potter, Mary Higgins Clark, and some others) I like to bring to the beach or the pool or even if I have a few minutes here and there to read, read a snippet of it. I would love for Harry Potter to be an ebook because of that. I actually put down my Nook for the last few days just to re-read number 6.

And yet, I realized how cumbersome the books ACTUALLY were to hold. I am hoping with more e-readers hitting the market, and plus with no more books in the series to be made, she will change her mind. I will gladly rebuy them all for my Nook. (Just like I rebought many of my other favorite books)

Ben Thornton
03-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Noooo, don't do it. It was terrible, horrible, and all the other 'ible's. I thought is was very cheesySo, comestible?

Ravensknight
03-31-2010, 06:06 PM
I voted "other" because I don't care. I read the books as they came out and while I enjoyed the first 3, the later ones weren't something I'd want to read again. Period.