View Full Version : fictionwise and mobipocket format

elsussman
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
not sure if this is the right forum and if not feel free to move

I do not know if anyone else has noticed this but virtually all of the new releases on fictionwise website are either ereader or epub and not in mobipocket. Yet the same book is available at the same time at the mobipocket website. A good example is today. All john Grisham's novels have been released today.... they are all in epub or ereader at fictionwise yet they are released at the same time on mobipocket website.

Is fictionwise abandoning mobipocket format because they are now owned by B&N?

i wrote an email to fictionwise about this last week about a different book not available in mobi and asked them why. All I got was an answer saying it was now available in mobi but they did not really answer my question about continued support..

Any comments

Elihu

geertm
03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Amazon has killed the Mobipocket format by not allowing other DRM formats on ereaders that support Mobipocket DRM.
All the new ereaders support ePub DRM instead of Mobipocket DRM, even older ereaders like the Cybook gen3 now support ePub.
So business-wise I think that moving from Mobipocket DRM to ePub DRM is a good decision by Fictionwise.

Sweetpea
03-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Amazon has killed the Mobipocket format by not allowing other DRM formats on ereaders that support Mobipocket DRM.
All the new ereaders support ePub DRM instead of Mobipocket DRM, even older ereaders like the Cybook gen3 now support ePub.
So business-wise I think that moving from Mobipocket DRM to ePub DRM is a good decision by Fictionwise.

I think it's a bad decision, as you will remove all Kindle readers from your client-base... The best decision would be to support all formats, that way all readers has access to all books.

geertm
03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I think it's a bad decision, as you will remove all Kindle readers from your client-base... The best decision would be to support all formats, that way all readers has access to all books.

The Kindle cannot read Mobipocket DRM books (at least not without using Python scripts to modify them). The Kindle can only read non-DRM Mobipocket books and the multiformat (non-DRM) books at Fictionwise are as far as I can see still available in Mobipocket format.

Sweetpea
03-17-2010, 09:01 AM
the only difference between the kindle and every other non-epub reader is the fact that with the kindle you have to register your device and otherwise you have register a code. The resulting mobipocket book is the same.

But, I'm moving away from Fictionwise. About 100% of the books (drm-ed) I want to buy there, I can't buy anyway.

TallMomof2
03-18-2010, 12:44 PM
But, I'm moving away from Fictionwise. About 100% of the books (drm-ed) I want to buy there, I can't buy anyway.

Why do you think you could buy them elsewhere? DRMed books will still be DRMed at other online sellers. If you're referring to geographical restrictions then that should be the same at other online resellers, too.

KarenH
03-18-2010, 01:04 PM
the only difference between the kindle and every other non-epub reader is the fact that with the kindle you have to register your device and otherwise you have register a code. The resulting mobipocket book is the same.

But Fictionwise will not accept a Kindle PID, so even though the file type is the same, there's no way to "unlock" the book (legally). You still have to strip the DRM to use it on a Kindle. Fictionwise has big ugly warnings that show up every time you buy a DRMed Mobi book that it won't work on a Kindle.

Marcy
03-18-2010, 02:10 PM
The Kindle cannot read Mobipocket DRM books (at least not without using Python scripts to modify them). The Kindle can only read non-DRM Mobipocket books and the multiformat (non-DRM) books at Fictionwise are as far as I can see still available in Mobipocket format.

And, if you're savvy enough to strip the DRM from mobipocket books for your Kindle, then you should be savvy enough to strip the DRM from the epub books and use Calibre to convert them to mobipocket.

I've bought tons of mobipocket books that my Sony theoretically couldn't open. I stripped the DRM and converted them to epub.

-Marcy

Sweetpea
03-19-2010, 03:06 AM
And, if you're savvy enough to strip the DRM from mobipocket books for your Kindle, then you should be savvy enough to strip the DRM from the epub books and use Calibre to convert them to mobipocket.

I've bought tons of mobipocket books that my Sony theoretically couldn't open. I stripped the DRM and converted them to epub.

-Marcy

I've no idea how to strip DRM from epubs... From what I've heard, it's much more complicated than mobipocket. Also, you need an extra application to even download them (correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd love to be wrong!)

pilotbob
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I've no idea how to strip DRM from epubs... From what I've heard, it's much more complicated than mobipocket. Also, you need an extra application to even download them (correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd love to be wrong!)

For the first item.. stripping the DRM is about the same. There is one extra step like what you had to do to strip from .libs.. and that is to get the key. Once you have that, it's pretty much the same.

You are correct that you need Adobe Digital Editions or Sony eBook Library to download ePubs that are protected with Adobe DRM. But, not DRM free ePubs.

BOb

ficbot
03-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Sweetpea, I sent you a PM.

leebase
03-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Doesn't fictionwise have it's own kindle store?

Lee

pilotbob
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Doesn't fictionwise have it's own kindle store?

Lee

You can buy MultiFormat eBooks at fictionwise and they will email it to your Kindle... yes.

I'm not sure if they call this a Kindle store.

BOb

Seabound
03-21-2010, 12:53 AM

-Marcy

I don't think it's merely a matter of saviness, but rather the state of the relevant software. The scripts to de-DRM mobipocket format is pretty stable, while the scripts to de-DRM epub is not there yet.

Ea
03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Why do you think you could buy them elsewhere? DRMed books will still be DRMed at other online sellers. If you're referring to geographical restrictions then that should be the same at other online resellers, too.
Not all shops enforce them equally rigourously.

JSWolf
03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Actually, once set up, it's actually easier to strip the DRM from ePub then Mobipocket.

Shaggy
03-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Is fictionwise abandoning mobipocket format because they are now owned by B&N?

If I remember right, fictionwise started abandoning Mobipocket before the B&N buyout. It basically started after Amazon bought Mobipocket.

CleverClothe
03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
If I remember right, fictionwise started abandoning Mobipocket before the B&N buyout. It basically started after Amazon bought Mobipocket.

I don't think this is true at all. It seems that it mostly started 9 months ago, or so. Though there were some books with delayed Mobipocket availability before that.

tselling
03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Actually, once set up, it's actually easier to strip the DRM from ePub then Mobipocket.

How so? There is a calibre plugin for mobi stripping... so that it is automatic. I didn't see a plugin for epub? Did I miss something?

Marcy
03-22-2010, 09:26 PM
How so? There is a calibre plugin for mobi stripping... so that it is automatic. I didn't see a plugin for epub? Did I miss something?

There isn't a Calibre plug-in but there is a tool with a very simple GUI.

I hear that the second result when googling darkreverser cabbages and then looking through the March entries will yield some information you might be interested in.

-Marcy

bgalbrecht
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't think this is true at all. It seems that it mostly started 9 months ago, or so. Though there were some books with delayed Mobipocket availability before that.

I think it began when Fictionwise and Overdrive parted ways. While it's possible that it's part of a larger B&N vs. Amazon thing, I doubt that B&N really wants to stop selling books to the Kindle market.