View Full Version : Library Ebooks

jenieliser
03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
How many of you have access to ebooks through your public library? I live in what I thought was a fairly up-to-date city but our library's latest technology is apparently audio books.

If you do have a library that offers ebooks, how long have they? Did you or anyone you know of have to broach the subject through numerous letters?

I would love if our library was in tune to technology, just wondering how best I could nudge them along, even just a little. :)

Nakor
03-15-2010, 04:35 PM
BC has a province wide one that pretty much all provincial library cards work though. I've placed a hold on one book there, but it hasn't come through yet so I'm not too familiar with how it works. I have no idea how long it's been around.

The best thing to do is just to ask them about it. If they're not planning it, it's one more voice (or letter or email) that will make them think about it. If they're already thinking about it, you might find out more. Certainly can't hurt to try!

Eatnread
03-15-2010, 04:45 PM
All of the county library systems around the Twin Cities only have audio books, and some librarians that I talked to didn't even seem to know about the concept of borrowing ebooks. I emailed one or two library supervisors and they talked about how it could potentially be added as an item to their proposed budget. In other words, I shouldn't hold my breath. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to periodically send some sort of request expressing interest in this service and the rationale as to why they would want to invest in it.
I had to drive down to Rochester,MN to physically apply for a library card, as they have about 670 ebooks for loaning. When I first started looking this fall, they had about 450 ebooks, 2/3 of which were mobipocket. This winter they added 250, virtually all were epub or pdf (Adobe). So now, as a MN resident, I can 'check' these books out online, and I'm good to go. I sent them an appreciation e-mail-hopefully they will continue to add more. I'm not sure how long they've had this service.
WI also has some state wide consortium of libraries with ebooks for their residents. Have you checked more than your city or county library, but looked at what the whole state may have to offer?

TallMomof2
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Where I live the county library is pretty tech savvy since this is a high tech area and the ebook offerings are so-so, almost all bestsellers and genre fiction. But I do have free access Safari Tech books Online and Gale Virtual Reference Library. There's also free access to a couple of databases aimed at children.

frozennorth
03-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Our library system just started offering ebooks last year. The total number of books offered is just under 300 right now.

asjogren
03-15-2010, 08:48 PM
My Seattle Public Library is awesome.
4952 - MobiPocket
4639 - Adobe ePub
9019 - Adobe PDF

But, Seattle is a high tax area. If you live in Washington State, you can buy in.

King County, in which Seattle is located, is more conservative. And it does not allow buy in. The King County Library is not great with eBooks, but not bad either.
2765 - MobiPocket
135 - Adobe ePub
3875 - Adobe PDF

Sydney's Mom
03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
My village doesn't have ebooks, but they have a reciprocal relationship with the Chicago Public Library. They have ebooks, popular fiction and mystery and romance.

asjogren
03-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Perhaps you can nudge your Memphis Library with some of the following benefits TO THE LIBRARY:
- eBooks are never lost
- eBooks are never late
- eBooks never have to be transported to a different branch
- eBooks never have to be inventoried
- eBooks never get defaced
- eBooks do not take up limited shelf space
- eBooks can remain available even when the demand drops off to almost zero
- And in rough economic times, the electronic library is open - even when the physical branch is closed due to budget cuts

rjfarrell
03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Nudge them this:

The public library that offers ebook access offers fabulous reading and learning opportunities to those who might be:
- currently economically challenged and free ebooks from the library is a great thing!
- the elderly and less mobile citizens of the community who can get a book without having to arrange for a ride
- voracious readers can read to their hearts content, without worry about due dates or purchasing the books

Many other reasons are out there, of course.

I also want to say to the libraries who offer this service and in particular to my Mesa, AZ and Greater Phoenix Area Libraries....THANK YOU!

DaleDe
03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Be sure and check the wiki forEBook Lending Libraries. There is another page full of places to get free eBooks.

Dale

Hamlet53
03-15-2010, 10:41 PM
It's a fairly new resource for the Wisconsin public library system. Currently about 155 fiction titles and 110 non-fiction titles with a mix of epub and pdf files.

mlewis78
03-15-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm reading my 3rd ebook through the New York Public Library. I don't know how long they've had it, but I hope that their Adobe EPub collection continues to grow. There are many books only available as audio, and many history books I've looked for are in Adobe PDF, which displays on my Cybook Opus but the font is too small and not dark enough for me.

Some books are available in various formats, but many are either in EPub, PDF or Mobipocket format only.

Most of the books I want to read have a waitlist, but some of those are just 2 or 3 people waiting. They have just one copy of many of these. The library notifies me of availability with an email, Then and I have up to 3 days to download and 3 weeks to keep the ebook.

I'm very pleased with this so far. I read mostly purchased or free books on Kindle, but I bought the Opus specifically for library books in EPub format.

Xanthe
03-15-2010, 11:51 PM
No ebooks in my town's library system, just audiobooks.

Linda!
03-16-2010, 12:00 AM
My local library is part of a consortium of libraries. They have a total of 263 ebooks, made available through the Overdrive service. I've never used them because they are protected by Adobe DRM, which my ereader cannot read.

neadams99
03-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Whoa, I just took for granted that my local library has ebooks (a lot of 'em). I live in the Sacramento Public Library system and they are pretty forward thinking, I guess. We get access to Many digital formats: WMA, Mp3, EPUB, PDF, and Mobi too. What a lucky break.

Of course, you'll have to read them on the PC with ADE or the free Kindle for PC app. Unless, you go to the time-comsuming and troublesome process of removing the DRM first. Then you can download to the Kindle and delete when you're done reading.

In order to get other titles--I also use my old address (at my folk's home in a different county in CA) to access their library and check out ebooks in all of the formats they have. If you know someone (really well and they trust you) in a town with a good digital collection in their public library then you can ask to use their address to obtain an elibrary cared and check out ebooks that way too.

Fia
03-16-2010, 08:21 AM
I think I have access to about 2500 books through my library here in Stockholm, Sweden. ePub, pdf and mobi is the file formats that are supported, some books are available in all formats and som books only in one or two of them.

DaleDe
03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Whoa, I just took for granted that my local library has ebooks (a lot of 'em). I live in the Sacramento Public Library system and they are pretty forward thinking, I guess. We get access to Many digital formats: WMA, Mp3, EPUB, PDF, and Mobi too. What a lucky break.

Of course, you'll have to read them on the PC with ADE or the free Kindle for PC app. Unless, you go to the time-comsuming and troublesome process of removing the DRM first. Then you can download to the Kindle and delete when you're done reading.

In order to get other titles--I also use my old address (at my folk's home in a different county in CA) to access their library and check out ebooks in all of the formats they have. If you know someone (really well and they trust you) in a town with a good digital collection in their public library then you can ask to use their address to obtain an elibrary cared and check out ebooks that way too.

The nice thing about Sacramento is that they accept people from all over the state (since it is the state capitol). You do not have to read them on a PC. They work fine with ADE or actual mobi support with DRM on an eBook reader without modification. You just own the wrong eBook Reader :)

Dale

khalleron
03-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Whoot! I just checked, my library now has 3555 fiction and 1596 nonfiction ebook titles. The budget for ebooks was approved late last year, and I've been waiting for them to arrive, and now they're here.

Gotta go see if they have anything I want.

mgm1979
03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I was JUST looking into my options for library eBook lending, and found that Denver Public Library has a fairly robust system. I don't know where to find the totals of everything they have, but seems to be a decent collection. Just put in my application for a card, and looking forward to trying it out...

grooks
03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I was JUST looking into my options for library eBook lending, and found that Denver Public Library has a fairly robust system. I don't know where to find the totals of everything they have, but seems to be a decent collection. Just put in my application for a card, and looking forward to trying it out...

I just looked at the available library for Denver and noticed they are one of the few libraries that offer 'eFlicks'. Looks like they are movies, shorts and/or documentaries available for download.

ePub - 416
PDF - 3,405
Mobi - 1,136
eFlicks - 482

Sydney's Mom
03-16-2010, 05:51 PM

I have to respond to this. If 5 seconds is time-consuming, then you are correct. As for troublesome - my daughter told me she suspected I liked removing DRM more than I liked reading. Not really, but I do get a charge out of finding and figuring out how to use scripts.

abookreader
03-16-2010, 06:01 PM
our library - actually a consortium of numerous area libraries

ePub: 520
PDF: 1849
MOBI: 487

I check it frequently because wait lists have really started to grow over the past 5 to 6 months as more people discover this. I even have a calendar in Outlook to track when they are adding new books to see if I can spot the trend.

Yes, I'm that geeky.

My Mom's library just started offering eBooks in the past month. I'm trying to get her using it but she is so tech unsavy it is very difficult .... more than 2 steps and she's toast.

mgm1979
03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
wow, good lookin' out grooks - how/where did you find that info?

I'd seen the bit about eFlicks, but haven't gotten as far as figuring out how it all works...It would be SUPER cool if I could DL videos to my eDGe though!

grooks
03-16-2010, 11:25 PM
wow, good lookin' out grooks - how/where did you find that info?

I'd seen the bit about eFlicks, but haven't gotten as far as figuring out how it all works...It would be SUPER cool if I could DL videos to my eDGe though!

I went to the 'download digital media' section of the Denver Public Library and near the top you will see a search bar. The search bar includes an Advanced Search where you can specify Author, Title or Format amongst other options. Choose just the format and it will give you a complete list for that format.

neadams99
03-17-2010, 12:48 AM
DaleDe:
Yes, Sacramento "has been verry verry, good to me." (remember the SNL skit of way back when?!)
The Kindle was a gift for Xmas from Hubby. I have enjoyed reverse engineering it to read my library books on it, though it has been no small effort. I'm not one to quibble over the Kindle gift when I can graciously accept it; then quietly hassle with getting it to do what I need).

mgm1979
03-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I went to the 'download digital media' section of the Denver Public Library and near the top you will see a search bar. The search bar includes an Advanced Search where you can specify Author, Title or Format amongst other options. Choose just the format and it will give you a complete list for that format.

ahhh...I feel dumb now...:smack:

For whatever reason, my temporary card is still "restricted" so I haven't been able to try and "borrow" anything yet. Their confirmation page said I should be good in 20 minutes, but its been 24 hours now - sent them an email to see what's up...

Illinifan
03-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I have access to multiple libraries that have ebooks for download. The State of Ohio funded their e-libraries project a couple of years ago. Based on where I live, I have access to the Dayton Metro Library which has its own collection (audio and ebooks) and the Greene County Public Library which is part of a consortium that has its own unique collection.

I looked for a thread to discuss library ebooks because I am frustrated by the DRM on them. As a previous poster said, I can only read my ebooks on my PCs due to the DRM. Stanza chokes when I try to move them to my iPod touch.

Based on what I've read, though, there appears to be hope. Has someone been able to get rid of the DRM on library ebooks so they can be read on mobile platforms, most especially the iPod touch/iPhone?

grooks
03-17-2010, 10:37 PM
There are methods to remove DRM from Mobipocket, ePUb and PDF. If you ever remove the DRM from a library book it is correct to delete the book from your computer and any devices after reading. That being said, if you want information about removing DRM for for mobidedrm and ineptpdf and ineptepub. The forum cannot provide instructions on how to remove DRM.

starrigger
03-17-2010, 11:52 PM
I borrow both ebooks and downloadable audiobooks from the Boston Public Library and the suburban Minuteman Library network. The audiobooks work better for me, because I can load them onto my Zune, and they don't go poof! after two or three weeks. I can finish the books and then delete them. Ebooks, on the other hand, always seem to time-out before I get them read. (I know I could remove the DRM, but I'd feel funny doing that on a library book.)

Illinifan
03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
After spending several hours reading various threads on this form, I'll retract my statement about trying to read library books on my iPod touch. :o

dsvick
03-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Cuyahoga County Library (Cleveland Ohio)

12,258 PDF
2880 ePub
5305 mobi Pocket

They are slowly converting all the new purchases to mostly ePub.

GraceKrispy
03-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Hawaiʻi is one library system for the entire state. I guess I should be glad we have ebooks. We have:
6481 PDF
302 EPUB (they just started carrying those about 6 months ago)
562 Mobipockets (I read those on my blackberry)
188 MP3 Audio
3957 WMA Audio.

On the home page, they tout the fact that they have EPUB and PDF that can be read on Sony electronic reading devices. I think thatʻs pretty cool ;) I am eager to watch the EPUB grow and grow; I feel like Iʻve picked over the ones Iʻm interested in. They also keep ordering "The Idiotʻs Guide to..." and various travel guides to have available digitally. Those are precisely the types of books I would *not* want as ebooks-- those are meant (imo) to be paper books to leaf through at my leisure or need. I wish theyʻd get all those popular books they have on WMA and have them in EPUB as well. I donʻt like to listen to my books. I like to experience the listening with my own voices in my head.