View Full Version : protecting epub files from copying & printing

cyberbaffled
03-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Anyone know how to protect an epub file from copying and printing without having to purchase an Adobe content protection server?

ATimson
03-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Anyone know how to protect an epub file from copying and printing without having to purchase an Adobe content protection server?
Such protection requires a DRM'd ePub. So if you don't want to purchase Adobe's solution, your only other option is to develop your own encryption scheme and reader application.

delphidb96
03-15-2010, 02:29 AM

Not inexpensively. And furthermore you really should figure that loading enough crap onto the e-book to prevent a few people from copying and/or printing is probably going to so reduce e-book sales as to eliminate profits. A better strategy is to set a fair price (around $5-$7 for a novel, $12-$16 for basic non-ficiton, and between $25-$25 for technical non-fiction) and promote the heck out of it. Sure, you won't get rich from each copy sold, but you'll sell more copies without DRM, and the word-of-mouth when people discover you're not actively trying to make it hard to read your work will help.

Derek

cyberbaffled
03-16-2010, 01:23 AM
"encryption scheme" Sounds like graduate level work!

cyberbaffled
03-16-2010, 01:24 AM
It's as much the potential mutation of content as the potential loss of sales that troubles me.

arvinder
07-07-2010, 03:57 AM
i want to secure my epub. What is the best solution for this. kindly reply who has done this by any software or applied any secutiry mechanism.

Toxaris
07-07-2010, 04:30 AM
There are only a few methods available. It all depends on what you are willing to pay and readability of the book. Basically there are two encryption schemes. One by Adobe and one by B&N. Almost or all e-readers can read the Adobe encrypted files, but only the nook (afaik) can read the B&N encrypted files. Both cost a substantial amount of money to buy the encryption software. Perhaps Apple has a third encryption for the iPad, but I do not know nor care.

Any other encryption/security measure will lead to incompatible epub files, because the reader software does not know how to handle it.

Both encryption schemes have been cracked though. Basically I would not buy a book which has DRM or is encrypted which is not removable. A lot of people are that way. There is also no lock on a paperback or hardback when I buy it. It is silly and will only harm those who want to buy and will not stop pirating.

arvinder
07-08-2010, 03:26 AM
When below mentioned combined efforts are going to be released?

The announcement that Adobe and Barnes & Noble are collaborating to further standardize eBook technology is an advancement for open, interoperable eBooks. As part of this collaboration, Barnes & Noble announced it is adopting the open EPUB eBook Format, PDF and Adobe Content Server as the basis of its eBook distribution—including on nook, the Barnes & Noble eBook reader.

Toxaris
07-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Basically this will not change matters. As soon as a new scheme will be developed, the readers must change their software. If Adobe and B&N create something new, you can bet your life that Sony and others will not be supporting that. B&N will not let them, because it means they can sell less nooks or the successor.

Actually, the scheme B&N is using now is already a collaboration between Adobe and B&N.

All this will do, is divide the market more with device-only books. I personally feel that there is to many of that already. I hate it when I cannot buy books anymore at Amazon because they only support their Kindle.

Open non-DRM books are the way. If one is interested in the book, they will buy it. If someone wants to pirate it, DRM is not going to stop them. Not as long as there are scanners and darknet. In short, DRM costs more money than it generates.

I will not buy an e-book from which I cannot strip DRM. If I buy it, I want to be able to use it as I like and read it when and where I would like. DRM is silly.

neilmarr
07-08-2010, 05:47 AM
The simple answer when it comes to the imposition of restrictions, Cyberbaffled, is ... don't. Very best. Neil

theducks
07-08-2010, 02:10 PM
It's as much the potential mutation of content< snip> that troubles me.

Post the MD5 sum on your web site to validate Original content.
Or post the individual CRC32 values (inside the EPUB).

You mihgt want to read the Intro to Baen Free Library :)

ATimson
07-08-2010, 02:52 PM
That only works so long as "helpful" readers like iTunes & Calibre don't muck with the ePub file. ;)

troymc
07-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Or post the individual CRC32 values (inside the EPUB).

I really hope the new ePUB spec includes something like this. Preferably embedded digital signatures for individual files.

Troy

Toxaris
07-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I hope not... It happens way to often I have to edit the epub to remove margins and alike. Would be really bad if that is not possible anymore...

ATimson
07-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I hope not... It happens way to often I have to edit the epub to remove margins and alike. Would be really bad if that is not possible anymore...
Adding the option to do digital signatures wouldn't remove your ability to do that (unless you were using a really crappy reader program that only allowed "verified" ePubs - but it'd be "broken" anyways since you couldn't read any that you made on your own and didn't sign). It would, however, prevent you from passing off the modified file as the original.

theducks
07-09-2010, 03:26 PM

If you edit the Stylesheet ONLY all the rest remain as shipped. That is why list by files contained is a good alternate.

Toxaris
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
By changing some files (stylesheet, removing css from the xhtml, correct typos, getting smart quotes, etc) the CRC is no longer correct. As soon as this implemented, I am very sure that ADE will get an update that only verified epub's can be read. No longer manually created epub's.

I understand the problem posed and I would also not like if someone would hamper with my work and then make it available as mine. However, I do not think this is the solution. What is, I don't know. Perhaps if they make 'perfect' xhtml files and only generate the CRC on those files...

ATimson
07-09-2010, 04:21 PM
By changing some files (stylesheet, removing css from the xhtml, correct typos, getting smart quotes, etc) the CRC is no longer correct. As soon as this implemented, I am very sure that ADE will get an update that only verified epub's can be read. No longer manually created epub's.
If Adobe were going to do that, they'd have done it already, restricting ADE to using ePubs containing Adobe's DRM.

arvinder
07-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Can Publisher sell DRM protected epub with their own site.

ATimson
07-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Can Publisher sell DRM protected epub with their own site.
Yes (see Simon & Schuster). However, expect to pay Adobe a lot of money for the privilege.

Toxaris
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
And again, it is useless. DRM can be removed quicker than then it is placed upon the epub.

JSWolf
07-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Yes (see Simon & Schuster). However, expect to pay Adobe a lot of money for the privilege.

And I've had issues with S&S. Finding someone at S&S who could deal with the problem was a bitch. And the only solution I got was my money back and not a fixed copy of the eBook. Fortunately, I was able to strip the DRM and fix the problems. But most people won't be able to do that or know the first thing about what to do to try to find someone at S&S to actually deal with the problem. And refunding the money doesn't help in the fact that people would not be able to read that eBook. The problem I had to fix after the DRM was removed is that the CSS was a total nightmare. And it caused the eBook to not properly display with formatting. I had to really fix that up big time.

Worldwalker
07-16-2010, 05:41 PM
The bottom line on DRM:

It doesn't hurt the bad guys.

It doesn't help the good guys.

Jellby
07-17-2010, 04:54 AM
It doesn't hurt the bad guys.

It doesn't help the good guys.

Rather: it hurts the good guys.

Worldwalker
07-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Quite true. But then the sentences wouldn't be parallel. :)

arvinder
07-20-2010, 04:00 AM
I tried with japnase.ttf but and chinese.ttf and japanese characters doesnt appear (???)but chinese characters appears correctly in sony reader.

i used CSS exactly like below for japanese.ttf and same with chinese but chinese displayed and japenese not:

@font-face {
font-family: "japanese";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/japanese.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-family: "chinese";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/chinese.ttf);
}

Can someone pls. attach ipag-mona.ttf font which i can use to display japanese character as given below

@font-face {
font-family: "ipagpmona";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/ipagp-mona.ttf);
}

body {
font-family: "ipagpmona";
}

Worldwalker
07-20-2010, 06:46 AM
I think you replied to the wrong thread!