View Full Version : Why I didn't wait for the iPad killers

leebase
03-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Ok....from the "why not xyz alternative" perspective. If I decided it would be nice to have a slate device that's neither a smartphone nor a laptop -- why not....

Wait for the HP Slate? The Slate looks to be a nice device. We'll have to wait and see how it well it performs once it's released or they give press access to samples (as Apple did). Flash support is surely a competitive advantage. But, I did not wait because:

* I do not believe windows is a great touch OS
* I do not desire to run my windows apps on a slate
* I do not desire to run my windows apps on a netbook processor
* If I wanted to run windows in a "smaller than a laptop" form factor, I'd pick one of the convertible netbooks with a screen that folds over to become a tablet.

Dell Mini 5. It looks nice. It runs Android. I think that Android is going to be the best competitor to the iPhone OS. I like Google, I like the openness of the Linux platform. I like java as a development language. I like Dell as a company. But I am not waiting for this device because:

* I already have an iPhone/iPod Touch.
* I do not think 5" is all that different than what I have
* I can make calls on my iphone and it fits in my pocket.
* One of my main uses is for sharing photos -- and a 10" screen is much more desirable.

JooJoo. Are you kidding me? I have doubts that this device will ever see the light of day. It's another "few Indian engineers start a company and get press attention" vaporware device. Vaporware is more than just "does the product exist" but also "do they have a chance in hell of marketing and distributing the device". Also, they are going to lose to Micael Arrington's lawsuits over IP. If this product did see the light of day -- I have no interest in a device that only surfs the web and is almost as heavy as a laptop.

Notion Ink's Adam. A very interesting "we have a spec" device from yet another "group of guys with an idea and a website" in India. The Pixel Q screen looks very interesting. I like the screen size (vs. the Dell Mini) and that it runs Android. It's not nearly as slick/polished looking as the iPad but should be sufficient. But I'm not waiting for them because:

* I do not think Android has the entertainment/games ecosystem anywhere near the level of the iPhone OS.
* Android is a great option for phones -- where being "a phone" with email, web surfing, facebook and texting covers 90% of the use cases. It has enough apps to supplement this with more coming. But JUST going by it's entertainment features -- I don't think it will hold a candle to the iPhone ecosystem.
* Not only do I not think the current "designed for phones" Android apps are worth having such a device for, I do not think there is any kind of incentive for folks to be developing Android apps to take advantage of the large screen. Google has not even created 10" versions of the basic google apps for the Android. I have a lot more confidence in Apple's ability to get support for it's device such that I have no worries being an early adopter. Even if I did want one of these devices, believed that Android was "already there" in terms of entertainment, I'd wait and see what kind of apps came out to support the 10" screen.

50-100 Chinese made "me too" android slates. See all the above reasons for not waiting for them and add:

* I think there is far more to creating a great user experience on a slate device than merely slapping together commodity items and putting Android on it.
* Put this in the "I'll let others be the early adopters" for these devices.

Netbooks. I think people love their netbooks and, if they have the right expectations for them, are getting a lot out of them. Netbooks have been available for awhile now and I just have not wanted one. When speaking of netbooks a year ago, and about Apple's needing a netbook I said "I don't want a netbook, what I want is a large iPod Touch". I do not think the iPad and the netbook have all that much overlap (some, but not all that much). I fully understand why more folks will continue to choose nebooks than iPads.

Laptop. I already have a laptop. My kids have a laptop. We like them. If I could only have one device, it would be a laptop. I'm actually wanting MORE power for my laptop not less. I have a 17" screen on my laptop and do not wish for a smaller one. My laptop is plugged in 99% of the time and I'm fine with that. I'm writing this from my laptop. I know I could get a laptop for my kids for cheaper than an iPad. The laptop they now have cost $340. For me the iPad is in ADDITION TO, not INSTEAD OF, a laptop.

Lee

cvkemp
03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
I do have the Dell Mini 10V netbook and it works great for me. I have my Kindle for PC, mobipocket reader, and barnes and noble reader on it. When I am on Vacation I use it to check my email and check the local weather.
I have nothing against Apples and maybe after I retire and I no longer do support of MS software I will either go to linux or maybe even to mac and the ipad who knows.
At this time I do not wish to use the slate or the ipad I have had a tablet conv. pc in the past and did not really care for it. Give me a keybrd and a mouse and I am happy. That may change in the future.

Chuck

John F
03-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Could we get this moved to another forum. It doesn't seem like news, there is no mention of ebooks, ...

LDBoblo
03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Thank you for sharing. It's a massive relief to know that your iPad purchase is justified. I'm sure I won't be the only one to sleep better at night knowing you have thought it through.

SCION
03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Thank you for sharing. It's a massive relief to know that your iPad purchase is justified. I'm sure I won't be the only one to sleep better at night knowing you have thought it through.

:snicker:

CyGuy
03-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Actually, a netbook in a table/slate format is exactly what I am waiting for. Windows 7 is a must because of its versatility and available software (from a million places instead of one place). A tablet/slate also simply must have a built-in SDHC card reader and at least one USB port. That is why I am waiting for the iPad killers...

leebase
03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Ok....for ereading.....

None of the competitors advantages (flash support, multi-tasking, usb) have anything to do with eReading so...

I went with the iPad for it's nice large beautiful screen -- and the fact that I can get books from the Apple iBookstore, Amazon, B&N, Fictionwise -- and pretty much every other source.

Also -- major magazine and newspapers are already lining up to get their content in iPad specific apps.

And, since the iPad should be a fabulous eReader, and windows machines and android machines should also be great ereaders -- I went with the one that's compatible with my beloved iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

Lee

petermillard
03-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Could we get this moved to another forum. It doesn't seem like news...

So where would you have the mods. move it to? And anyway, I think it's more of a 'commentary', no?

@Lee; can't fault your logic; nicely written and well wrought.:thumbsup:

leebase
03-12-2010, 04:43 PM
So where would you have the mods. move it to? And anyway, I think it's more of a 'commentary', no?

Thanks. When I looked for a spot to put this post, I did not see an "iPad" section and I did see that this was "news and commentary". I placed it here as commentary.

I'm looking forward to the iPad for many reasons, ereading is one of them. But mostly for magazines, newspapers and web content. I'm not sure at all I'll use it for books. I like reading on my iphone. I don't "tolerate it" -- I LIKE it. I like reading books on my iphone more than reading actual books. It's small, always with me, easy to hold and I don't need a book light.

Lee

ardeegee
03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Why I'm not buying an iPad:

I don't want to read books on a transmissive LCD.

I want a battery life measured in weeks, not hours.

I don't want one penny of my money to go to one of the creepiest, most Orwellian companies on the face of the Earth.
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/08/iphone-developer-eul.html

HorridRedDog
03-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Could we get this moved to another forum. It doesn't seem like news, there is no mention of ebooks, ...

News and Commentary

Whether or not I agree with him, his commentary belongs here. Not in an iPod/iPhone/iPad (snicker:rofl:snicker snicker, what a name, snicker) section.

The kind of thing that I don't want here are complaints about batteries, software, etc.

But what , or why, you like/dislike something does belong in a section named "News and Commentary".

kennyc
03-12-2010, 07:38 PM

What SCION said x 10~!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

kennyc
03-12-2010, 07:42 PM
I went with the iPad for it's nice large beautiful screen -- and the fact that I can get books from the Apple iBookstore, Amazon, B&N, Fictionwise -- and pretty much every other source.

Unproven at this point. The only thing known for sure is there is supposed to be an ibook store.

Also -- major magazine and newspapers are already lining up to get their content in iPad specific apps.

Who? Do you have a source for this information? Specific magazines and newspapers? Where's the line start?

And, since the iPad should be a fabulous eReader, and windows machines and android machines should also be great ereaders -- I went with the one that's compatible with my beloved iPhone/iPod Touch apps.

Lee

Should be? Should be compatible?

I think it might be wise to wait and see what really happens.

kennyc
03-12-2010, 07:45 PM

I don't want one penny of my money to go to one of the creepiest, most Orwellian companies on the face of the Earth.

Wow!

Bilbo1967
03-12-2010, 07:54 PM

That is scary :eek:

But, given that most of the hardcore Apple apologists would apparently happily sell their soul for an unproven, expensive item which is incapable of multi-tasking and seriously compromised for input ports, I doubt they'll care.

One of them will be along soon to defend the Apple license and to call me an Apple hating so-and-so no doubt.

leebase
03-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Unproven at this point. The only thing known for sure is there is supposed to be an ibook store.

There's no reason to believe otherwise. Other book apps are already available for the iPhone/iPod touch.

Who? Do you have a source for this information? Specific magazines and newspapers? Where's the line start?

The NYT was on stage at the iPad unveiling. The WSJ has confirmed they are supporting the iPad. Wired has demo'd their forthcoming iPad app. CondeNast has confirmed 5 other of their mags (GQ, Glamour) will appear with updated apps (not with the "Wired" treatment, but updated iPhone apps).

Then there are all the magazines and news papers that already have iPhone apps. Time, USA Today, Popular Science to name just a couple that are already on my iphone.

Should be? Should be compatible?

Yes, according to Jobs and demonstrated with the Facebook app and a racing game. According to the Apple website: http://www.apple.com/ipad/app-store/ 150,000 iphone apps ready to run on the iPad.

I think it might be wise to wait and see what really happens.

They showed this working at their unveiling. And not just through a power point presentation. Journalists with their hands on actual ipads -- running iPhone apps "pixel doubled".

And why would this be hard? The iPad runs the iPhone OS. You can sell your FUD to someone else, I'm not buying

Lee

kennyc
03-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Yes book apps are available on iphone, but for how much longer? :) There is no reason to believe that they will automatically be available on the iPad. It's a brand new playing field and Apple has already crippled it in many significant ways. We will not know for sure what apps and controlled by whom will be available for it. Yes many newspapers are available even for free via calibre and straight to my Sony or Kindle or computer (and tablet if I should buy one)

I've never seen so many people so will to believe the hype and just follow along without even any real specs of formats, drm, restrictions, etc. I can only standby and give notice. If you want to race ahead, be my guest.

Bremen Cole
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
To the OP... glad you are getting it, and enjoy :)

Forgive the folks here who have to mock, call names and condemn because of your choice. Narrow little minds are that way. I am more interested in the potential of the MS Courier at this point, but who knows... an iPad could be in my future too....

And, as someone else said, I'm actually enjoying reading on my netbook... it's actually better than I thought (for me)....

edit: A great iPad forum that you can discuss the device in, without endless abuse is http://www.ipadforums.net/forumindex.php

sianon
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Yes book apps are available on iphone, but for how much longer? :) There is no reason to believe that they will automatically be available on the iPad.

given that it will be very easy to transfer non drm epubs to the ibooks app, there wont be a problem if the other reader apps are not allowed. it really is trival to remove drm from epubs and most kindle books.

SCION
03-12-2010, 08:29 PM
given that it will be very easy to transfer non drm epubs to the ibooks app, there wont be a problem if the other reader apps are not allowed. it really is trival to remove drm from epubs and most kindle books.

:true:

kennyc
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Forgive the folks here who have to mock, call names and condemn because of your choice. Narrow little minds are that way. I am more interested in the potential of the MS Courier at this point, but who knows... an iPad could be in my future too....

And, as someone else said, I'm actually enjoying reading on my netbook... it's actually better than I thought (for me)....

Yep I sure wish that I could have the color, speed and clarity of my iPhone on my Sony 900 with it's battery life......that's the ereader I'm hoping for!

I'd also love to have a tablet device as well about 1/4 the thickness/size of my Acer Aspire, but running windows 7 for compatibility. :)

Bremen Cole
03-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Yep I sure wish that I could have the color, speed and clarity of my iPhone on my Sony 900 with it's battery life......that's the ereader I'm hoping for!

I'd also love to have a tablet device as well about 1/4 the thickness/size of my Acer Aspire, but running windows 7 for compatibility. :)

Yes, my only real complaint with my little gateway is it's form... a little big, and a little heavy... not bad, and usable... but still........... battery life at 8 hours is really fine for me......

I am really thinking about selling my 300, the eInk technology is not for me. I am somewhat visually impaired, and I struggle with lighting issues..... The iPad looks great but 1) I don't have the money right now and 2) I want to see what comes out next! :)

leebase
03-12-2010, 09:33 PM

Thanks. I am not normally a "be the first on the block to get something" kind of guy. I didn't get the first iphone, I got the second. My laptop is 3 years old and so are my cameras (where my serious toy money is spent).

The iPad happened to be announced right before my birthday, and with a price point I was frankly shocked by. It's withing my "one toy every now an then" price range.

Fanboys and haters....two sides of the same coin. A pox on both their houses.

The courier looks interesting. I like technology, I like gadgets. Even when I don't buy one, I'm typically at least interested. I don't want a netbook, but I think they're cool and wouldn't dream of denigrating someone who wanted one.

I want the 10" screen for sharing photos. The "two smaller screens" of the Courier kinda takes it out of my main reason for getting the iPad. Still, for reading books, it's like having a book opened. But no, even that doesn't make sense to me. It's no big deal to turn the page. I'm not sure what those two screens will be good for that one larger screen wouldn't be better for. But I'll be interested to hear from you when you get yours :)

I like reading on my iPhone -- I can see that reading on a netbook would be better than my large, heavy, hot laptop.

edit: A great iPad forum that you can discuss the device in, without endless abuse is http://www.ipadforums.net/forumindex.php

That is a good site. Frankly, though, I like conversations with more than one pov. I'm not upset that everyone doesn't share my opinions.

Lee

leebase
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes book apps are available on iphone, but for how much longer? :) There is no reason to believe that they will automatically be available on the iPad.

There's a lot more reason to believe they will than to invent conspiracy theories that say they won't. And EVEN if they are not, it will be trivial to convert my ebooks from other sources into epub format for use on Apple's book app.

I realize this is a mobile reading forum and so books are top of the agenda. But books are not top of my reasons for getting an iPad. I like reading books on my iPhone and will most likely continue to. Magazines, on the other hand -- the larger screen will be much better for -- and Apple has touted the newspapers and magazines coming to the iPad.

It's a brand new playing field and Apple has already crippled it in many significant ways. We will not know for sure what apps and controlled by whom will be available for it.

So Apple takes off some smut and refuses apps that violate AT&T's usage policies or duplicates functionality. That does not translate into anything more than what it is. I've been happily living with Apple's "walled garden" with my iPhone and my kids with the iPod touch. It is our very positive experiences with those devices that lead me to be an early adopter of the iPad. The iPad is not NEW, it's merely larger.

Yes many newspapers are available even for free via calibre and straight to my Sony or Kindle or computer (and tablet if I should buy one)

I love Calibre. Just started using it only recently and had no idea about the cool news source to ebook conversions it had built in. However, I actually like the format of magazines and newspapers over straight text. But there is Calibre to epub to the Apple book reader as one of the many content options.

I've never seen so many people so will to believe the hype and just follow along without even any real specs of formats, drm, restrictions, etc. I can only standby and give notice. If you want to race ahead, be my guest.

I've been using an iPhone OS device for a couple years now. As many people have said in an attempt to denigrate the iPad "it's just a large iPod Touch". Yeah - that's a DESIRABLE thing in my book because my family and I like our iPod Touches.

You aren't "giving notice" you are attempting to spread FUD. At worst -- if all your conspiracy theories and FUD became true -- I'd have to spend a tiny bit of energy stripping off the DRM of my ebooks and converting them to ePub.

How is this different than the Kindle, the Nook or the Sony readers? None of them respect the DRM of anybody but their own.

Apple had working product in the hands of the press on it's grand announcement day. That's far more than anyone's gotten from ANY of the "iPad Killers". Apple's videos show the iPad in use. Adoble/HP's video is filled with fast cuts such that you have no idea how it really performs.

The kindle has been out for awhile now -- and I bet STILL -- most people who buy one have never seen one. I've yet to see a kindle in the wild. I just last week got to see a Nook at a B&N store.

Apple took over the mp3 market and is now even the number one seller of music. Apple took over 20% of the smartphone market and sent all the other manufacturers scrambling to respond to the iPhone. Apple took the phone part out of the iphone and had a mega hit consumer product with the iPod Touch. Together Apple has sold over 70+ million iPhone OS devices.

And now Apple is taking that proven market rocking combo into a new arena complete with major support and partnership from 5 of the top 6 publishing companies and vaunted newspapers like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

That's not hype. That's reaping the rewards of past excellence.

Lee

charleski
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I went with the iPad for it's nice large beautiful screen
132dpi screen - that's a step backwards and really disappointing when you can get devices with reflective screens and 50% better resolution.

Nevertheless, I'm really interested in the software Apple brings to the table. Personally, I'm hoping that they shake up the epub spec with some much-needed extensions to allow better ebook design.

kennyc
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
,....3 years old and so are my cameras (where my serious toy money is spent).

Lee

Tell me more. :D

kennyc
03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
And now Apple is taking that proven market rocking combo into a new arena complete with major support and partnership from 5 of the top 6 publishing companies and vaunted newspapers like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

That's not hype. That's reaping the rewards of past excellence.

Lee

:rofl:

:smack:

leebase
03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Tell me more. :D

I currently shoot with a Canon 5D and 40D with Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Canon 85 f1.8, Sigma 30 f1.4

Pretty much every one of those items cost more than my iPad. Well, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 was perhaps only $350 or so.

Then again, I've made more money shooting weddings and portraits than I've spent on gear. It's showing off these photos that has me itching for the iPad to begin with :)

Lee

kennyc
03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I currently shoot with a Canon 5D and 40D with Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Canon 85 f1.8, Sigma 30 f1.4

Pretty much every one of those items cost more than my iPad. Well, the Sigma 30mm f1.4 was perhaps only $350 or so.

Then again, I've made more money shooting weddings and portraits than I've spent on gear. It's showing off these photos that has me itching for the iPad to begin with :)

Lee

Thanks for the info. I had a 5D but sold it, currently have a 20D, 40D and 1Ds MkIII that 24-105 is a great lens.

I've now where near paid for my cameras, but have made a bit of mad money from my photography.

ardeegee
03-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Forgive the folks here who have to mock, call names and condemn because of your choice. Narrow little minds are that way.

It is okay that you think I have a "narrow little mind"-- people who think it is perfectly swell to use a product that exercises such draconian control over what software you can buy, where you can buy it, and how you can use it have no mind at all.

Tamara
03-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I am really thinking about selling my 300, the eInk technology is not for me. I am somewhat visually impaired, and I struggle with lighting issues.....

I've been having the same experience with eInk :(. I really liked it at first but I find that I needed more and more light on the screen to read comfortably.

Bremen Cole
03-12-2010, 11:09 PM
It is okay that you think I have a "narrow little mind"-- people who think it is perfectly swell to use a product that exercises such draconian control over what software you can buy, where you can buy it, and how you can use it have no mind at all.

Great post! I could not have proved my point better! Thanks!!! :)

For example... On my iPhone I read and edit MS Office documents, listen to MP3's I bought at Amazon and sync my email, contacts, notes....etc with MS office, read books from B&N, Amazon and Kobo,.....etc.... Yeah.... Apple controls! ....lol

John F
03-13-2010, 08:52 AM

How about the Apple Devices forum:

Apple Devices (20 Viewing)
All things iPad, iPhone, iPod, and other e-book capable Apple devices

Sorry for being so Anal. I'm looking forward to the flood of posts in the News and Commentary forum in April of "The Ipad rocks!". :)

Bremen Cole
03-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Honestly folks.... look at the threads right now on this "news and commentary" forum... Notice how many are about individual readers? Onyx, Edge, Pocketbook, Sony...etc..... all of which have their own forums. but one thread about the iPad an people want it moved.....

I just find it odd...........

kennyc
03-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Honestly folks.... look at the threads right now on this "news and commentary" forum... Notice how many are about individual readers? Onyx, Edge, Pocketbook, Sony...etc..... all of which have their own forums. but one thread about the iPad an people want it moved.....

Agreed! I have no problem with it being here or there. :D

CleverClothe
03-13-2010, 09:20 PM

No, actually. The Onyx (and Neo), Edge, and some others do not have their own forums. You are right on the Pocketbook though.

Bremen Cole
03-13-2010, 11:40 PM
No, actually. The Onyx (and Neo), Edge, and some others do not have their own forums. You are right on the Pocketbook though.

Well actually Sony, who I also mentioned has two forums.... and the etc .... was pointing to the fact there are many others. As far as Onyx and Neo and Edge.... those should be in the "Other devices" forum, which is where I started a thread on the MS Courier simply because....well....it was an other device. The point is very few actually pay attention to the forum titles, and posting something about the iPad is no different than the many postings of other products in the News and Commentary forum. It does not bother me at all, except that to single out one brand to strictly enforce the rules....is at least worth questioning.

LDBoblo
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Well actually Sony, who I also mentioned has two forums.... and the etc .... was pointing to the fact there are many others. As far as Onyx and Neo and Edge.... those should be in the "Other devices" forum, which is where I started a thread on the MS Courier simply because....well....it was an other device. The point is very few actually pay attention to the forum titles, and posting something about the iPad is no different than the many postings of other products in the News and Commentary forum. It does not bother me at all, except that to single out one brand to strictly enforce the rules....is at least worth questioning.
I found it odd that it was contemporaneous with an active thread in the same forum about the very same topic. The user's post is merely a response to that other thread (which, I'll repeat, wasn't dormant at all but was near the top of the first page), but apparently he or she felt their opinions for justification were important enough to generate a new thread about.

Hardly a crime, as it's pretty common in these fora. Won't excuse it from a little mockery though, as it certainly appears very self-important. That's supposed to be my role (and Ahi's).

fugazied
03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Well yeah this post pretty accurately sums up my opions too.

I have a laptop, I don't want a 12" netbook which has the same interface, but runs slower than my super fast MBP. I want a device that is lightweight, touchscreen and does basic internet things simply. A tablet is the perfect device for sitting on the couch, in the car, sharing photos with family and 50 other things.

Now... when you talk tablets, the specs of the iPad ARE ahead of other tablets, the battery life the aesthetics (it's not a brick). I'm not talking netbooks, as I said I already have a laptop.

iPad is ahead of the competition and as with iPhone, the 'iPad killers' will be a year or two behind and forced to emulate what Apple has done.

tmarks11
03-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Actually, a netbook in a table/slate format is exactly
what I am waiting for. Windows 7 is a must...

All of that has been available for quite a while in a decent form factor:

Viliv S-5 (5" tablet, 6 hr battery). Atom 1.3 CPU.
Viliv X70EX (7" tablet, 5-6 hr battery). Very nice. Atom 1.3 CPU.

Coming very soon:
Hanvon touchpad BC10c (10" capactive multi-touch screen). ULV 1.3 CPU. 3.5 hr battery.
http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2010/03/hanvon-touchpad-bc10c-tablet-review.html

Hanvon is also coming out with a Atom CPU version. Maybe better battery life.

I believe the impending IPad release is great; it will foster a lot of competition into the tablet business, which will foster innovation, pull in the sales, bring the prices down. I think the UMPC hardware has finally reached the point where it is a viable form factor, but the high prices have kept them from being adopted by the mainstream user.

I would buy an IPad, but I think the size of the tablet will make it awkward. If they released a 7" version, I would add my name to the pre-order list. I am betting that Dell will release a 7" slate before Apple does.