View Full Version : Why I don't buy books from Australia

lene1949
03-11-2010, 03:40 AM
I was going to get a healthbook for my animals, so I looked at Amazon and Fishpond (Fishpond is Australian)

Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, Debra M. Eldredge DVM, et al

This book was AUD69.99 at Fishpond with free shipping (Ships in 3-10 days)

I also got:

Anatomy Flashcards, Stephanie Mccann, Joanne Tillotson (interested after reading Stiff in this month bookclub)

Not available at Fishpond...

Both items including shipping was AUD60.75, and knowing Amazon they'll be here next week...

So I saved over $9 and didn't pay any tax to the Australian Government... I don't feel bad about that, as they get enough tax out of me as it is... :rofl:

smerrall
03-11-2010, 04:08 AM
I was going to get a healthbook for my animals, so I looked at Amazon and Fishpond (Fishpond is Australian)

Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, Debra M. Eldredge DVM, et al

This book was AUD69.99 at Fishpond with free shipping (Ships in 3-10 days)

I also got:

Anatomy Flashcards, Stephanie Mccann, Joanne Tillotson (interested after reading Stiff in this month bookclub)

Not available at Fishpond...

Both items including shipping was AUD60.75, and knowing Amazon they'll be here next week...

So I saved over $9 and didn't pay any tax to the Australian Government... I don't feel bad about that, as they get enough tax out of me as it is... :rofl:

Should have tried the book depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/.
Free shipping worldwide the same titles there are AUD54.61!

lene1949
03-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Wow! That would have saved me another 6 bucks... I'll keep that in mind... :thanks:

How are they with deliveries?

Solicitous
03-11-2010, 06:04 AM
Wow! That would have saved me another 6 bucks... I'll keep that in mind... :thanks:

How are they with deliveries?

Of the books I have ordered (I live in Tasmania BTW) I find I usually get them 10-14 days after ordering them. Some people I have heard from in NSW have had them arrive in 5 days.

Blue Tyson
03-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Yeah, that's around right I think Lene. A week or so. Had one or two turn up in less than a week, others close to two - depends partly on their sourcing I suppose. Tassie would likely be longer I would think.

Faster than Amazon, no doubt, although I very rarely get anything from there.

neilmarr
03-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Can't offer you anything about canine health, Lene, but there are several books by Australian authors on a pay-what-you-like (or free) basis if you follow the link in my signature line below and scroll down through the catalogue.

As an animal lover, one that might interest you in particular is a wonderful novel we published a couple of months ago called Last Birds by Australian author Andrew Theland. It's one of the pay-what-you like (or nothing at all) offers for Read an Ebook Week.

Happy reading. Neil

AlexBell
03-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Of the books I have ordered (I live in Tasmania BTW)

You're the only other person I know of in Tasmania who knows what ebooks are. I live in Launceston by the way.

Regards, Alex