View Full Version : Can ePubs be merged?

Elfwreck
03-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Is there any software that allows easy merging of multiple ePubs into a single ePub? (Bookmarking by original title would be nice, but isn't necessary.)

I'd like to take multiple short stories from Feedbooks & combine them into a single file so I don't have dozens of "books" cluttering my Reader interface. Right now, I'm downloading in PDF because I can combine those easily; I'd prefer to read ePub, but don't know if it's possible to combine them without unzipping & weird code-tweaking.

If there's a relatively simple manual way to build a combined ePub, that'd be okay too.

darkpoet
03-11-2010, 08:26 PM
No simple way, since every ePub has both a table of contents file (toc.ncx) - and an index file (content.opf)... the first would take a bit of time... but the latter of which has a playlist, which would be incredibly irritating to re-order. Rename an epub as a zip and take a look... You'll agree it's probably not worth the effort...

Edit: I just realized the number of your posts. You're unlikely to be a n00b... but even in creating my own ePub's I was frustrated whenever I had to go into either of these files. I'm sure a program could be created to merge ePubs but again, it's probably not worth the effort... And yeah, I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks these authors need to compile their short-stories into actual books.

Elfwreck
03-11-2010, 10:57 PM
No simple way, since every ePub has both a table of contents file (toc.ncx) - and an index file (content.opf)... the first would take a bit of time... but the latter of which has a playlist, which would be incredibly irritating to re-order. Rename an epub as a zip and take a look... You'll agree it's probably not worth the effort...

Not worth it for me; I was hoping someone had written a script that would neatly combine multiple toc.ncx & content.opf files into a single one. Except the folders would have to be renamed, or the html files, or both... gah. I don't speak that much code. Script. Whatever.

Damn. Will have to stick with PDFs, which are much easier for me to combine. Annoying, 'cos Feedbooks ePubs get cover pictures, and the PDFs don't. So I download the PDF, open the ePub & save out the cover pic, then replace the first page of the PDF with the cover image.

Edit: I just realized the number of your posts. You're unlikely to be a n00b... but even in creating my own ePub's I was frustrated whenever I had to go into either of these files. I'm sure a program could be created to merge ePubs but again, it's probably not worth the effort... And yeah, I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks these authors need to compile their short-stories into actual books.

Yeah, not n00b; experienced with doc conversion but still pretty shaky when it comes to ePub. Was hoping I'd missed some nice simple fix someone had put together.

It's not always single authors; I sometimes collect multiple stories on a theme and would rather combine them into a single file (Right now, it's the DC2 series of fan-made comic-book stories.) Would like to be able to create collections for my kids--"30 short stories about cats and dragons"--but it looks like doing so for ePub is a while off yet.

slm
03-11-2010, 11:48 PM
This is probably more work than you meant to do, but you can use Calibre to bulk-convert to RTF. Merge the RTF manually but trivially in Word, add trivial table of contents in Word, save and convert the merged RTF back to Calibre.

aarcane
03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
using some simple find/replace, and copy/paste, it'd be mostly trivial to merge some well-designed e-pubs. I'm well-designing some e-pubs in a series now with exactly that in mind.

colinsky
03-12-2010, 12:22 AM
There's a similiar request/suggestion here:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74581

Elfwreck
03-12-2010, 02:16 AM
This is probably more work than you meant to do, but you can use Calibre to bulk-convert to RTF. Merge the RTF manually but trivially in Word, add trivial table of contents in Word, save and convert the merged RTF back to Calibre.

At that level of work, it's easier for me to merge the PDFs.

While I'm willing to manually merge 20 source documents in Word, I only do so when I've got no other way of getting the content. In this case, since I'm working from Feedbooks, I can have it output in Sony-sized PDFs with my choice of font & point sizes. I have to manually place the covers in, but that's still faster than the copy-paste-format hassles in Word.

But it's good to know that's possible, because I get epubs from a lot of different sites; I may want to deconstruct & reformat them.

charleski
03-12-2010, 07:21 AM
It would be worth keeping an eye on ePubHub (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74737). It's still in a very early stage of development, but looks like it should eventually be useful for your purpose.

DaleDe
03-12-2010, 12:43 PM
It would be worth keeping an eye on ePubHub (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74737). It's still in a very early stage of development, but looks like it should eventually be useful for your purpose.

This would be a real good direction for ePUBHub to take. Solving this problem really provides a good service and would show it could solve other smaller problems.

Dale

etienne66
03-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Personally I'd like to see Valloric add this functionality to Sigil eventually.

Etienne66

Valloric
03-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Personally I'd like to see Valloric add this functionality to Sigil eventually.

Valloric plans to do exactly that one day, via a right-click menu option in the Book Browser.

Third person FTW. :)