View Full Version : converting pdb to epub

cdh569
03-07-2010, 05:22 PM
I have a couple of books I bought thru Barnes and Noble that are in pdb format and I want to read them on on Sony E-Reading. How do I convert them to the epub format my reader accepts?

delphidb96
03-07-2010, 07:13 PM
I have a couple of books I bought thru Barnes and Noble that are in pdb format and I want to read them on on Sony E-Reading. How do I convert them to the epub format my reader accepts?

Simple,

You download Calibre, install it and then you run your .pdb ebooks through the conversion process. Assuming any DRM has been removed, Calibre does a smashup job of conversion to .mobi or .epub.

Derek

cdh569
03-12-2010, 09:06 AM
unfortunately mine are DRM locked.

delphidb96
03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
unfortunately mine are DRM locked.

Then remove the DRM. There are programs to do so.

Derek

cdh569
03-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Then remove the DRM. There are programs to do so.

Derek

I'll look on-line and see what I can find (I use a Mac). I assume such programs are not readily available and are of dubious legality.

ATimson
03-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I assume such programs are not readily available and are of dubious legality.
You're wrong on the "readily available" part.

"Dubious legality" will depend on your locale, of course, but in the US it seems to be so only by dint of the DMCA and not traditional copyright law. (I am not a lawyer, and the preceding is not intended as legal advice. :))

JSWolf
03-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't find it of "dubious legality" due to the use of "fair rights". I think "fair rights" should trump the DMCA.

ATimson
03-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't find it of "dubious legality" due to the use of "fair rights". I think "fair rights" should trump the DMCA.
I agree that the DMCA unfairly restricts previously-legal fair use rights. However, I don't think that would matter very much if I were hauled into court. :bobby: