View Full Version : Android Apps on the eDGe?

fibrou
03-06-2010, 10:49 AM
According to enTourage, we should be able to download and install Android Apps from various developers. I have been able to download a couple, but when I go to run them, they always indicate that something is "missing," e.g. source file missing, or application missing, or something like that. What am I doing wrong when installing android apps from non-Market sources and trying to run them on the eDGe? I am new to Android OS, so I am sure there is something simple I am missing. Any direction is greatly appreciated.

sarah11918
03-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I found this article helpful http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-find-android-apps

I'm loving dolphin browser and swift twit!

fibrou
03-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

mgm1979
03-07-2010, 11:02 PM
I've gotten all of my apps from AndAppStore.com - not a HUGE selection, but enough to keep ya busy for a while. My next step is to try installing apps directly from my fiance's Eris, which connects to the Android Marketplace...I'll post back with my results as soon as I do that.

sarah11918
03-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I was able to download a "market app" from both AndAppStore and SlideME for ease of browsing/installing apps from the respective sites. They have both worked fine in terms of downloading/installing apps.

I've only tried a few free apps so far (again, cannot recommend Dolphin Browser highly enough!! and if you tweet, Swift Twit) but some of them don't resize to fill the eDGe's screen. As the device becomes more popular, hopefully app creators will either think about resizing or at least mention whether their app scales to the eDGe's screen.

lsoverdrive
03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
has anyone found a good organiser/calendar application? ultimately i'd love to see something like the courier, but at the moment something that would sync with google calendar and have offline use would be great.

PhishStyx
03-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I found this article helpful http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-find-android-apps

I'm loving dolphin browser and swift twit!

Hm, I tried dolphin on my Droid phone and didn't like it much. What are you finding good about it?

sarah11918
03-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Hm, I tried dolphin on my Droid phone and didn't like it much. What are you finding good about it?

Maybe it has to do with the screen size of the eDGe being larger, but what I like so far:

1. Tabbed browsing. (I can see why maybe a phone would be too small to take advantage of this.) This is a huge deal for me.
2. Great scrolling. Scrolls well, plus has a convenient zoom option (make sure it's checked as a preference) and a funky magnified rectangle zoom.
3. Gestures are convenient, once I found out how they worked. I did spend the first little while thinking, "How is there no back button on this browser?" But, you do have to press in a corner, then perform your gesture, and I've found that the larger the gesture the better. So again, maybe on a smaller screen like a phone, it's more difficult to gesture recognizably.
4. Integration with google. The "Home" page is a big list of choices (with subchoices) including one for Google Services (mail, reader, picasa, search etc.). I find that really convenient since those are a lot of pages I visit, since of course typing on a virtual keyboard is less than convenient. But, if I were on a larger screen and had to scroll (I can see most of the choices without any scroll on the eDGe), I might find that more annoying.

It just really feels like a full browser.

What didn't you like about it? Could the smaller screen size be part of it? Which Android browser do you use/like?

kevindorsey
03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
They are still mostly in development. Should be good to go soon.

Warp3
06-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I've gotten all of my apps from AndAppStore.com - not a HUGE selection, but enough to keep ya busy for a while. My next step is to try installing apps directly from my fiance's Eris, which connects to the Android Marketplace...I'll post back with my results as soon as I do that.

Thank you for that link!

Thanks to that site, I *finally* have a Korean keyboard on my PocketEdge. I had tried exporting various Korean IMEs and keyboard apps to SD from my Droid X (like I've done with other apps) to side load them on the PE, but apparently keyboard applications don't show up in the "Backup Application" list the way normal apps do. AndAppStore is the first site I've seen that both offers APK download links *and* has keyboard apps listed.

janhall_us
06-04-2011, 10:45 AM
...I *finally* have a Korean keyboard on my PocketEdge.

OT, sorry... but if you're looking for a Korean keyboard I highly recommend DioPen. http://www.diotek.com/?ui=customer_DownTrial&Div=DioPen

obsessed2
06-04-2011, 11:05 AM
According to enTourage, we should be able to download and install Android Apps from various developers. I have been able to download a couple, but when I go to run them, they always indicate that something is "missing," e.g. source file missing, or application missing, or something like that. What am I doing wrong when installing android apps from non-Market sources and trying to run them on the eDGe? I am new to Android OS, so I am sure there is something simple I am missing. Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Check out the thread I put together for new Edge owners. I detail several excellent Apps that will work with your device and where to go to get them. Also, I have links to several websites where you can download Apps.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132878

mpmills
06-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Would be nice if you (or someone equally talented) could make this post a "sticky" at the top of the main page, as borisb did with the welcome basket on the other forum? Lot's of good info there for those of us lacking in "search" skills.

mike

DaleDe
06-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I made it a sticky for you but for reference purposes a wiki page is better. It could refer to this thread for any needed discussion.

Sarasuru
06-06-2011, 03:46 PM
has anyone played with the Netflix app? I know it's not streaming on most devices yet, but I just downloaded the .apk from Android Police. The log in page pops up fine but when i actually hit "log in" the screen goes white then the app shuts down.

I've got a Pocket Edge running on Ermine.

Thanks for any ideas!

Warp3
06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
OT, sorry... but if you're looking for a Korean keyboard I highly recommend DioPen. http://www.diotek.com/?ui=customer_DownTrial&Div=DioPen

The one I installed is called "Ganada keyboard" (which I like so far), but I'll definitely check out that one, too. Thanks for the tip. :)

yugami
06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Does anyone have a current apk for Fring? I received a message to download the newest version but their mobile site doesn't recognize the PE so it won't let me download it.

this is a nice little replacement for Gtalk (plus does video and voip) and the new update is supposed to have better google talk integration

emusan
06-17-2011, 09:28 PM
do you know the number of the current version? I might be able to get it from a friend or another site...

ptsenter
06-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Here it is - directly from their website, change avi to apk.

xtdn20008
06-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Hello, everyone!
I am a student needs to read a lot of PDF e-book, part of the scan. I like EDGE, dual-screen design, but to us ask a few questions:
1.EINK screen can not rotate it? Andrews 2.2 The new system is to rotate the display?
2. I need to do a lot of notes, scanned PDF files can be annotated and notes it?
3.EVERNOTE can use? Can a PDF file in EINK point, while the LCD with EVERNOTE take notes, or WORD, EXECLE file editing?
I am also concerned about the NOTION INK ADAM, which uses POXELQI screen, I do not know which is more suitable for me.

We look forward to answers! Thank you!

emusan
06-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Hello, everyone!
I am a student needs to read a lot of PDF e-book, part of the scan. I like EDGE, dual-screen design, but to us ask a few questions:
1.EINK screen can not rotate it? Andrews 2.2 The new system is to rotate the display?
2. I need to do a lot of notes, scanned PDF files can be annotated and notes it?
3.EVERNOTE can use? Can a PDF file in EINK point, while the LCD with EVERNOTE take notes, or WORD, EXECLE file editing?
I am also concerned about the NOTION INK ADAM, which uses POXELQI screen, I do not know which is more suitable for me.

We look forward to answers! Thank you!

Please see my post in the thread you created... Thanks

Filark
06-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Try: http://www.latimes.com/games/

It has Crossword and Sudoku, new daily, and other games. For Crosswords you need to hold the Menu key down to bring up the keyboard (just once -- it stays up :)), then tap the square to enter letters. Tap again to change from Down to Across. You can save your puzzle and finish it another time.

Site is a bit slow to load, but once loaded it is quick and fun to play!

Not recommended for PE because of screen size.

P.S. Thank you for the Fring apk, ptsenter! :2thumbsup

crazysmile
07-18-2011, 03:31 AM
I found a free app in the amazon store called alchemy easily my favorite

ivanjt
07-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Has anyone tried the NASA app? see http://www.reghardware.com/2011/07/19/android_app_of_the_week_nasa/
I can't get it being in Europe.

arcticmaniac
07-22-2011, 04:52 PM
This is a website where you can download some productivity apps without google market. It has OI Reader (RSS Feeds), OI File manager, and some other ones. click on the link directly from your PE and download away.

http://www.openintents.org/en/download

The RSS reader has some ads at the bottom. the file manager does not have ads

01pony
07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
It seems that the edge's operating system is version 1.6. Most of the apps out there you need 2.0 or higher. This includes the Sony Reader app which needs version 2.2. Does anyone know how to upgrade the OS to something higher? I have searched on the net but nothing. It would be nice if there was a phone number to call, but with them being out of business, I guess we are stuck.

Jim

01pony
07-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the new Edge owners thread. I am sure that it will be very helpful when I get ready to play. Do you know how to upgrade the OS to 2.2? Trying to load the Sony Reader app but it needs version 2.2 and all I have is 1.7 after upgrading the device.

Thanks much
Jim

SatyrsLynx
07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
01pony: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134237

Its a lot of pages (10 right now), but it has all the instructions for updating to Ermine. Even I finally got it to work!

Good luck!

garyhgaryh
07-27-2011, 01:49 AM
does anyone have the Facebook apk?

SatyrsLynx
07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
does anyone have the Facebook apk?

I got it from this link:
https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=74769995908&topic=15691

And it works great. I d/l'ed it directly to my eDGe from it's browser, not through my laptop.

arcticmaniac
08-06-2011, 05:12 PM
I got it from this link:
https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=74769995908&topic=15691

And it works great. I d/l'ed it directly to my eDGe from it's browser, not through my laptop.

anyone actually uses facebook??

garyhgaryh
08-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Facebook works great.

Does anyone have the apk for the market enabler?

Never mind, I got it: http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/
Gary

peace928
08-24-2011, 07:12 AM
hi, i just received EDGE Dualbook yesterday, and have installed a few applications without root it from www.freewarelovers.com. the applications include QQ (China's mot popular chat platform), Fring, WiFinder, Elixir, all working fine. but when i try to install skype, always have problem - cannot sign in (hung) or display error message - have to stop unexpectedly. Fring included access to skype before but stop now. anyone have install skype successful? please help.

Edward_R
08-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I was redirected from andAPPS to http://www.soc.io/ has anybody else installed the mall ?

peace928
08-25-2011, 07:26 PM
found skype apk unexpected. thanks to ptsenter. here is the link: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1597748

Filark
08-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Peace, I'm glad you found it! :)

Edward_R, yes I have installed the soc.io mall. So far it's no great shakes, but that might change. In fact, I haven't looked at it for a couple of weeks now so maybe it already has changed! :p

Benjiboi
09-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Best solution I've found so far is to use my Android phone (Moto Droid) to download whatever I want, then use ASTRO file manager to back up the apk's and transfer them from sdcard/backup onto my pocket Edge.

Some apps still don't work properly/at all, generally those requiring the "universal" Google account integration such as GMail, Calendar, Market, and YouTube (for anything requiring authentication: favorites, 18+ content, etc).

ptsenter
09-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Best solution I've found so far is to use my Android phone (Moto Droid) to download whatever I want, then use ASTRO file manager to back up the apk's and transfer them from sdcard/backup onto my pocket Edge.

Some apps still don't work properly/at all, generally those requiring the "universal" Google account integration such as GMail, Calendar, Market, and YouTube (for anything requiring authentication: favorites, 18+ content, etc).

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141833

Everything but Market works.

fred4231
09-19-2011, 12:40 PM
I recived a Pocket eDge on Saturday. I have it running on 2.2. I want to load some apps on it but don't know what to do once I have the APK files on my PC. How and where do I download the files? How do I initiate them? Alse, how can I save an internet search and initiate with an icon? I know these are basic questions and I apologize for being ignorant in the ways of Android. Wish there was a primer on the basic of PE.

Fred

Edward_R
09-19-2011, 01:46 PM
As far as the APK's I put mine on an USB drive and connect the drive to my PE, then use the device storage icon to navigate to the USB drive and install the APK's.

tekknogenius
09-19-2011, 02:51 PM
I recived a Pocket eDge on Saturday. I have it running on 2.2. I want to load some apps on it but don't know what to do once I have the APK files on my PC. How and where do I download the files? How do I initiate them? Alse, how can I save an internet search and initiate with an icon? I know these are basic questions and I apologize for being ignorant in the ways of Android. Wish there was a primer on the basic of PE.

Fred

If you have gmail installed on your Pocket eDGe then just email them to yourself from the PC. When you open the email on the Pocket eDGe it will have an install button next to the apk attachment. You can also connect your Pocket eDGe to the PC via the supplied USB cable (your Pocket eDGe will show up as a storage device on your PC). Then on your Pocket eDGe using a file explorer (download es file explorer (http://www.estrongs.com/en/download.html) from the developers site) click on the apk file to install it.

Filark
09-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi Fred! :)

The Pocket eDGe User Guide (tap Library, then Books and you'll see it) is a pretty good primer! It doesn't cover everything you need to know about Android, but it explains the PE functions. You can navigate around within it using the table of contents.

Good luck! ;)

fred4231
09-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Filark, tekknogenius, Edward_R--- Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Fred

wmocny
09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Hello,

New to the forums, being my first post, but I have used these forums already extensively in the last 2 days to upgrade and improve my edge and I'm excited to use this device more. In terms of Apps I was wondering if anyone was able to get the pandora or google talk apps to function. In both cases I installed the apk files then when I open the app it force closes. I also installed voice search but it wont recognize the microphone in the pocket edge. I am currently running a rooted 2.2 android pocket edge. Any ideas?

ptsenter
09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Hello,

New to the forums, being my first post, but I have used these forums already extensively in the last 2 days to upgrade and improve my edge and I'm excited to use this device more. In terms of Apps I was wondering if anyone was able to get the pandora or google talk apps to function. In both cases I installed the apk files then when I open the app it force closes. I also installed voice search but it wont recognize the microphone in the pocket edge. I am currently running a rooted 2.2 android pocket edge. Any ideas?Google talk and Voice Search work if installed with Ermine 1.xxx

My guess is some components are missing.
What's missing and what's wrong with Pandora - get logcat.
Search this forum for my posts with "logcat" where I explained how to get the log and post it here.

glow
09-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I have Pandora 1.4 on my PE (running Ermine,) and it works great.
By the way, Dropbox is another convenient way to transfer apps.

wmocny
09-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Google talk and Voice Search work if installed with Ermine 1.xxx

My guess is some components are missing.
What's missing and what's wrong with Pandora - get logcat.
Search this forum for my posts with "logcat" where I explained how to get the log and post it here.

The update to Ermine 1.xx did the trick. I noticed I had only Ermine 0.9. So now voice and pandora work like a charm but still having difficulty with talk force closing which doesnt make much sense to me. I'll run logcat as soon as i finish installation and post it here

wmocny
09-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Ok attached is my logcat. I have no idea how to interpret it hoping you guys could help me out. thanks.

ptsenter
09-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Ok attached is my logcat. I have no idea how to interpret it hoping you guys could help me out. thanks.I spoke too soon: Google Talk is not going to work - and too many problems to enumerate.

wmocny
09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Well that's trouble. If I did a factory reset and redid the ermine update could that work?

ptsenter
09-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Well that's trouble. If I did a factory reset and redid the ermine update could that work?No.
Depending on why you need it you might find some alternative: Skype(beta), Fring,...
There are couple of threads here dedicated to VOIP.

jclmaster
09-23-2011, 01:54 AM

Fred

Another suggestion is to use dropbox. I use it to store files i want to share with other devices.

jamina1
09-23-2011, 05:47 PM
The update to Ermine 1.xx did the trick. I noticed I had only Ermine 0.9. So now voice and pandora work like a charm but still having difficulty with talk force closing which doesnt make much sense to me. I'll run logcat as soon as i finish installation and post it here

How did you get Google Voice to work without a phone number? When I tried to set it up it hung on the voicemail step.

jamina1
09-24-2011, 03:45 PM
I had the market, but it was not working.

Here is the build prop modification I made
I modified the following 2 lines
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=SPH-P100-user 2.2 FROYO DJ14 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=sprint/SPH-P100/SPH-P100/SPH-P100:2.2/FROYO/DJ14:user/release-keys

As well as this line:
ro.product.model=SPH-P100

Clear Market Cache & Force Stop
Clear Google Services Framework DATA & Force Close

Reboot and viola! It's downloading stuff, but some apps are missing! So I'm going to try a couple different build.prop modifications and report back.

EDIT
I managed to get all apps to appear using the passion/mahimahi build.fingerprint in emusan's post, but it's showing that this is my other phone for some reason (shows all my apps installed). Weird!

JDoo
09-27-2011, 12:06 AM

This bears repeating... and thanks for the suggestion. I have a Xoom tablet, with a ton of apps, both paid and free. I wanted to get some of them on my pe, but hadn't been able to get the Android Market to work so...

0) - Off the bat -- I am using an iMac for connecting / backing up. The Android File Transfer utility is a FAIL on Lion. I wanted a simple mechanism for syncing, and moving files around... so - - On to ermine.
1) - Loaded ermine. There are excellent how-to's on this site. Many thanks to the folks who have been great enough to figure out the magic, and document it for the rest of us!
2) - Installed Dropbox. Needed a way to get stuff onto the pe
3) - Started looking around on my Xoom for apps. Thank you Android... you let developers drop their APKs all over the place. :blink: Thankfully, I had an existing copy of Astro file manager. The post from benjiboi helped connect the dots for me. I launched Astro and moved the APK files that I wanted to get over to my ee into a 'Backup' folder.
4) - Using the Android File Transfer utility (which works for me, now that I am on ermine) - I moved the APK files onto my Mac, in a place where I can catalogue and keep things backed up. I wish I had been doing that all along with the Xoom- - it would have made this process simpler. Suggestion to anyone wondering about this... -- just do it. Apps that you like, you should be backing off to a harddrive (in addition to whatever backup mechanism you are using for your pe)... in case you get a different Android device.
5) - Dropbox time. Pushed the files over from my Mac to the ee via dropbox
6) - Opened Dropbox on the pe... and started installing stuff... Some titles didn't work.. most did. Am keeping a list of the stuff that is working -- will post to whatever master threads there are for such things... All in all -- this probably reads like a complicated process, but it is pretty simple now.

Cheers -

FluxAugur
10-01-2011, 06:21 PM
How did you get Google Voice to work without a phone number? When I tried to set it up it hung on the voicemail step.

I'm having the same problem.

jamina1
10-04-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm having the same problem.

I don't know if it has to do with me removing the Phone and Telephony apk's but once I had done that it didn't ask for the voicemail set up. It simply stated "You can now view your text messages on this device" and is set up and works just fine. I can send and receive texts using the GV app.

ambelli
10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I received my PE yesterday. I downloaded from freewarelovers.com/android/app/youtube the 1.3 version, installed it. But when I try to play a video I get the message" sorry, this video cannot be played"
any ideas?

Edward_R
10-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Try version 2.2.16 it works on mine.

ambelli
10-04-2011, 01:47 PM
When I try to install 2.2.16 I get the message "com.google.android.youtube could not be installed on your eDGe"

Edward_R
10-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Do you know what version of Android you have?

ambelli
10-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Do you know what version of Android you have?

how do I determine the version of Android I have

Edward_R
10-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Settings/aboutedge should show you the version

ambelli
10-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Settings/aboutedge should show you the version

Thanks. The firmware version is 1.6. Kernel version 2.6.29

rixeta
02-05-2012, 02:08 PM
hey sooo what apps on the android market could be usefull to the EE i just downloaded angry birds from the AM and it was really slow :(

obsessed2
02-05-2012, 04:27 PM
hey sooo what apps on the android market could be usefull to the EE i just downloaded angry birds from the AM and it was really slow :(

I can't speak for the Android Market, but I have found many useful Apps for the EE which I have download links to in my Resource Sticky. Also, check the Entourage Forum Archive Welcome Basket Sticky which also talks about a lot of cool Apps.

carry20
01-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Hi,
I have found a nice free android app that allow users to learn Spanish (Thai or English) 20 times faster.

You can download the app for free at Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hepilabs.lingling.spanish
Good luck

AleksandarM
10-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Hi,
Thank you for posting this here. This app is extremely helpful in learning new language such is Spanish. I learned very fast.